• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 7 |OT| Hitting the Apex

omegasc

Nope. Well gold yes but not your and Con-Z-epT Con-Z-epT times lol
like Con-Z-epT said (I think it was him) this track has some blind corners so you have to position yourself early. First sector you need to sacrifice a little to get more stable on the S. Not a lot to cut, maybe last chicane has some room, and the kerbs on top after the S section have some to go over them.
I have trouble nailing the last chicane when trying to beat my record. I either miss the apex or come out too slow from it.

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
like Con-Z-epT said (I think it was him) this track has some blind corners so you have to position yourself early. First sector you need to sacrifice a little to get more stable on the S. Not a lot to cut, maybe last chicane has some room, and the kerbs on top after the S section have some to go over them.
I have trouble nailing the last chicane when trying to beat my record. I either miss the apex or come out too slow from it.
It's hard because many corners rely on the previous one. When you mess up one your bound to have a hard time with the next. On the other hand i think the track provides many good reference points for braking or lifting the gas as well as turning in the car.

Cutting curbs is a good advice! Some leave a lot of room before you get a penalty. I know many preach 2nd gear for the last chikane but i got my best times with the 3rd gear through this part.

This helped me.

omegasc

It's hard because many corners rely on the previous one. When you mess up one your bound to have a hard time with the next. On the other hand i think the track provides many good reference points for braking or lifting the gas as well as turning in the car.

Cutting curbs is a good advice! Some leave a lot of room before you get a penalty. I know many preach 2nd gear for the last chikane but i got my best times with the 3rd gear through this part.

This helped me.
I struggle with track limits because my instinct is to respect the white lines, and to go really fast you need to go wherever the game allows you to :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Con-Z-epT

I struggle with track limits because my instinct is to respect the white lines, and to go really fast you need to go wherever the game allows you to :messenger_grinning_sweat:
Yeah i feel the same. When you go half on to the grass it just feels weird. But there is a reason why some people have these crazy times.

tommib

Sorry babes. My + subscription expired and I’m going to be off it for a while. Catching up on backlog.

I noticed yesterday that even without + you can do the online trials and get credits from it. Also those championships that are on sport but against AI. I was surprised to even be able to enter sport.

I was struggling with Neo-Classic as I didn't have the proper car for it and wasn't gonna grind for na F1 doe 11mil. All of a sudden I see Nissan GTR 99, had enough cash for it and damn what an amazing car. This thing has insane cornering grip and speed. I finished Neo classic in no time. Tho that Fuji race with random rain could be tricky but all 3 races were awesome with this car.

Fi4aG4IUAAAr8ZK

Last edited:

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I was struggling with Neo-Classic as I didn't have the proper car for it and wasn't gonna grind for na F1 doe 11mil. All of a sudden I see Nissan GTR 99, had enough cash for it and damn what an amazing car. This thing has insane cornering grip and speed. I finished Neo classic in no time. Tho that Fuji race with random rain could be tricky but all 3 races were awesome with this car.

Fi4aG4IUAAAr8ZK

Love that car. Handles great.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE

Fi4aG4IUAAAr8ZK

How? I see p1 gaining massively on the delta. (I'm using the Pennzoil)

Softs and no fuelsaving perhaps?

Last edited:
How? I see p1 gaining massively on the delta. (I'm using the Pennzoil)

Softs and no fuelsaving perhaps?

Im always on hard tires and if I remember it takes about two pit stops. All 3 races I literally only pit as soon as I see the warning that I have enough fuel for one race only, no deeper strategy or anything. Basically you want to drive near perfect first 4 laps and you will be in top 4. You will have to pit but they will go another lap. So when its time for them to pit pretty much you will be again close to them and just pass them. If you mean about the Fuji race, that one I played 3 times till I won because the first two times the rain fell on different laps so I just couldn't control my car even towards the pits. The last try I did was lap 6 and saw it was drizzling a bit, went to the pits for the W....nobody else did and literally halfway through the next lap almost all AI cars are scattered all over the track like pinballs because they can't steer and have zero grip during the storm.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Im always on hard tires and if I remember it takes about two pit stops. All 3 races I literally only pit as soon as I see the warning that I have enough fuel for one race only, no deeper strategy or anything. Basically you want to drive near perfect first 4 laps and you will be in top 4. You will have to pit but they will go another lap. So when its time for them to pit pretty much you will be again close to them and just pass them. If you mean about the Fuji race, that one I played 3 times till I won because the first two times the rain fell on different laps so I just couldn't control my car even towards the pits. The last try I did was lap 6 and saw it was drizzling a bit, went to the pits for the W....nobody else did and literally halfway through the next lap almost all AI cars are scattered all over the track like pinballs because they can't steer and have zero grip during the storm.

Dont take this the wrong way but I'm guessing you're playing on easy or normal?

I play on hard (no brag) and after finally getting to buy the Silhouette I started the Neo Classic on Willow Springs and did pretty well (not my favorite track but I know it well enough) but ended up a minute + after P1.

Guess I have to wait for that Nissan R92CP '92 to show up =(

Con-Z-epT

Hands-On with Gran Turismo Sophy, GT7’s New Artificial Intelligence System​

At the recent Gran Turismo World Series Finals in Monaco, I had the chance to be one of the first humans to race against Gran Turismo Sophy, the radical new artificial intelligence system developed by Polyphony Digital and Sony AI. I expected to be trounced by the super-human driver (and I was!), but the way it defeated me changed my perspective on how important Sophy will be to the future of Gran Turismo and racing games in general.

Sophy is very, very different from other “artificial intelligence” systems you’ve seen in games before. Instead of following a simple set of pre-programmed rules, Sophy “learns” a car and track combination by quite literally driving it thousands of times. It also races with other cars on track, learning what “good” on-track behavior and race craft looks like. It is an impressive technical feat, but critics and average players have shared their confusion and indifference.

Why should they get excited about a super-human driver? If it can defeat the likes of Igor Fraga and Takuma Miyazono, how could they ever hope to compete with it? How is that fun?

These are reasonable questions, and I felt my own sense of helpless intimidation when I got behind the wheel of my first race against Sophy at Spa Francorchamps in Gran Turismo 7. Despite the friendly name and little heart logo, I knew the car in my mirror was about to ruthlessly execute a set of instructions it had learned from thousands of laps around the circuit, with the single goal of defeating me. No pressure!

As we pulled away from the starting line in a pair of AMG GT3s, I was feeling anything but confident, and I expected that lack of confidence would translate into a missed braking point at La Source. I also expected Sophy would capitalize on the mistake with a dive-bomb to the inside, perhaps with a bit of contact. But… that’s not what happened. Watching Sophy in the mirror, I could see it contemplating the move, then explicitly making the choice not to take it. It was a wise, human-like decision, as if it suddenly remembered the popular phrase “No race was ever won in the first corner, but many have been lost there,” from The Art of Racing in the Rain.

Sure enough, Sophy’s patience paid off. I nervously botched Raidillon and it passed me up the Kemmel straight. Although it clearly had more speed than I, it needlessly maintained a defensive line up the hill, sticking to the the right side of the track before darting over to the left at the entrance of Les Combs. This would be the only unnatural move I saw it make. Somewhat relieved to be chasing Sophy now, I kept pace with it as well as I could. It was fascinating to drive behind and watch it work. Its lines and braking points revealed speed that would have taken me hours to find on my own. After the first lap, it finally started to pull away, but I was already starting to see the potential.

For our second race, I was feeling more comfortable with the car and track combination, and was able to hold Sophy off for much longer. I knew that Sophy was faster than me, but I had also learned Sophy drove with etiquette and restraint. Like a skilled and experienced human driver, I knew it would wait patiently for the right opportunity to pass me safely. What resulted was a wildly fun lap, as it pushed my defensive driving skills to the limit at every corner around the Belgian circuit. When I did finally make a mistake and Sophy cruised by, I was not upset that I had lost the race — I was sad that our brilliant battle was over. It was the most fun I’d had playing Gran Turismo in a long time, especially against an AI opponent. That’s when I realized what makes Sophy special for “regular” players like me. You might get lucky and have a similar battle in an online race, but the conditions and your opponents have to be just right. For the average player, that’s rare, and it’s even more rare for such a battle not to end in anger or frustration.

Sophy changes all of that. With the push of a button, you can keep racing against Sophy as much as you like. It’s a sparring partner that never gets tired, angry, upset, or bored. It’s simply there, all the time, to have fun with and to make you a better driver.

When GTPlanet first interviewed Kazunori Yamauchi after Sophy’s reveal, he described it as “a teacher” and “a friend to race with”. It sounded a bit far-fetched at the time, but now it makes more sense. There has perhaps never been a better teaching tool in a racing game.

The tight schedule of the World Finals and the Sony AI team meant that I had to step aside after my second race with Sophy, but I’m already hooked. I could have spent hours with the new AI, studying its replays and racing lines and perfecting my ability to defend each corner of Spa. It was a blast to drive with, and absolutely nothing like the tedious experience of racing against Gran Turismo 7’s current AI drivers.

To be clear, Sophy still has a ways to go before its released to the public. Although its driving model is already at a high level (it only made one odd move that I was able to see) its integration with GT7 is clearly still in development. My Sophy opponent was running on its own PlayStation 5 console and we were driving in a private LAN race. Nevertheless, the most difficult part of Sophy’s development appears to be behind the Sony AI team. Now they can work on refining the model and collaborating with Polyphony Digital to figure out how to best introduce it to Gran Turismo’s player base.

I have always been intrigued by Sophy, but I was never quite sure what to make of it. I think many in the community felt the same way. After this brief demo, however, the feature is now my most personally anticipated feature for GT7 and beyond. I cannot wait to see how this system continues to develop and evolve, and I cannot wait for my next opportunity to race against Sophy again.

Dont take this the wrong way but I'm guessing you're playing on easy or normal?

I play on hard (no brag) and after finally getting to buy the Silhouette I started the Neo Classic on Willow Springs and did pretty well (not my favorite track but I know it well enough) but ended up a minute + after P1.

Guess I have to wait for that Nissan R92CP '92 to show up =(
I play every game on normal :) I don't see the point in playing on hard since the monetary gain will still be the same.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I play every game on normal :) I don't see the point in playing on hard since the monetary gain will still be the same.

I see. Fair enough! I was like how is Aeon winning in the Pennzoil!? Some secret strategy?! =)
Yeah I looked it up and the rewards are the same. Going to wait for that Nissan though. Enough content to do in the meantime! Gr1 on Atlanta? Brrr.... Haha

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I hate how rage quiting lowers your rating.

Sorry but getting rammed in the first or second sector plus getting a 3 seconds penalty for it makes me want to continue.

Last edited:

Con-Z-epT

I hate how rage quiting lowers your rating.
The game hates it when you rage quit and that's why it lowers your rating. :messenger_grinning:
Sorry but getting rammed in the first or second sector plus getting a 3 seconds penalty for it makes me want to continue.
The penalty system got changed so often and so drastically since release that it's a real mess now. It was fine in the beginning. I feel you. It's frustrating.

Con-Z-epT

Does DR only improve when getting a podium? Love starting from the back buy yeah
As long as you gain positions it will improve. However, setting an average time and starting from the midsts while gaining one position will grant you more DR than starting from the back and finishing two or three position better. The higher you start or finish, the better in general.

The worst thing you can do is loose positions. Same as before but vice versa. When you start low and loose one position it's not good, but starting mid field and finishing at the back will hurt you really heavy in terms of DR.

So... If you are unsure, don't set a time for the daily race and gain very slowly. If you want to know it, then push for the best qualifying lap and improve on that.

Con-Z-epT

Gran Turismo 7’s December Update is Coming Next Week​

The next update for Gran Turismo 7 will arrive during the week commencing December 12 2022, bringing with it the largest single set of vehicles in any update in the game’s life so far.

Confirmed by Gran Turismo series creator Kazunori Yamauchi in the usual manner of a social media post containing disguised, silhouette-style images of the car content, the update (which we’re going to tentatively call 1.27) will add five new cars to the game. It will arrive at a yet-to-be-specified date during the week, however most updates thus far have arrived on a Thursday so we’d expect it to come in the morning of December 15. That handily also tallies with an earlier date given for one of the five cars involved.

That’s the center car in the image, and also the most obvious of the five: Ferrari’s Vision Gran Turismo. This was unveiled at the recent World Finals event in Monaco, and although it’ll arrive in the game in this update, most players won’t get their hands on it for a little over a week after its addition. If you took part in the World Finals live stream “Viewers Campaign” quiz and correctly answered the fourth and final question on the Nations Cup Grand Final, you’ll be awarded the Ferrari on December 15. Those who didn’t will have to wait until it’s unlocked in the game’s Brand Central, and pay in-game credits for it.

There’s some discussion over the remaining four vehicles, but it would appear that the cars include three highly requested new-to-series cars and one returning favorite.

That last item is the car in the top-right, which clearly sports the wing, hood vent, and roof scoop of the Toyota Celica ST205 rally car. This has been a staple of the series since GT3 but skipped out GT Sport, so makes a welcome return and will probably slot into the Gr.B category.

The bottom-right car looks to be the Bugatti Chiron, a car long overdue an appearance in Gran Turismo. Once the fastest car in the world, the Chiron was actually previewed by the Bugatti Vision Gran Turismo which made its debut in Gran Turismo Sport in 2017 after being unveiled in 2015.

There’s a little more guesswork about the remaining two vehicles, but it looks like the Alfa Romeo Giulia GTAm appears in the bottom-left. This high-performance version of the already hot Giulia Quadrifoglio boosts power and reduces weight (to the point of ditching the rear seats) to make one of the fastest four-doors around. Curiously this will be a very rare appearance of a new car from the newly formed Stellantis family appearing in any racing game anywhere.

Finally there’s the car in the top-left. The shape fits a lot of mid-engined supercars, but we think that it’s the long-awaited C8-generation Chevrolet Corvette. Given its appearance in other racing games, the C8 has been something of a glaring absence from GT7, so it’s a very welcome addition indeed.

Of course the teaser post, as always, only reflects new vehicle content coming to the game. There’s no further information at this time regarding what else might be added in terms of track content or features, though keen-eyed players might have spotted two placeholder names added to the Showcase area of the game regarding two additional Nurburgring location layouts: “endurance” and “sprint”. We will have to wait to see if this results in anything tangible.

We’re expecting the update to arrive on Thursday December 15, just ahead of Gran Turismo’s 25th anniversary on Friday December 23. In-game activities to mark the milestone are already available and will continue through to early January.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Gran Turismo 7’s December Update is Coming Next Week​

The next update for Gran Turismo 7 will arrive during the week commencing December 12 2022, bringing with it the largest single set of vehicles in any update in the game’s life so far.

Confirmed by Gran Turismo series creator Kazunori Yamauchi in the usual manner of a social media post containing disguised, silhouette-style images of the car content, the update (which we’re going to tentatively call 1.27) will add five new cars to the game. It will arrive at a yet-to-be-specified date during the week, however most updates thus far have arrived on a Thursday so we’d expect it to come in the morning of December 15. That handily also tallies with an earlier date given for one of the five cars involved.

That’s the center car in the image, and also the most obvious of the five: Ferrari’s Vision Gran Turismo. This was unveiled at the recent World Finals event in Monaco, and although it’ll arrive in the game in this update, most players won’t get their hands on it for a little over a week after its addition. If you took part in the World Finals live stream “Viewers Campaign” quiz and correctly answered the fourth and final question on the Nations Cup Grand Final, you’ll be awarded the Ferrari on December 15. Those who didn’t will have to wait until it’s unlocked in the game’s Brand Central, and pay in-game credits for it.

There’s some discussion over the remaining four vehicles, but it would appear that the cars include three highly requested new-to-series cars and one returning favorite.

That last item is the car in the top-right, which clearly sports the wing, hood vent, and roof scoop of the Toyota Celica ST205 rally car. This has been a staple of the series since GT3 but skipped out GT Sport, so makes a welcome return and will probably slot into the Gr.B category.

The bottom-right car looks to be the Bugatti Chiron, a car long overdue an appearance in Gran Turismo. Once the fastest car in the world, the Chiron was actually previewed by the Bugatti Vision Gran Turismo which made its debut in Gran Turismo Sport in 2017 after being unveiled in 2015.

There’s a little more guesswork about the remaining two vehicles, but it looks like the Alfa Romeo Giulia GTAm appears in the bottom-left. This high-performance version of the already hot Giulia Quadrifoglio boosts power and reduces weight (to the point of ditching the rear seats) to make one of the fastest four-doors around. Curiously this will be a very rare appearance of a new car from the newly formed Stellantis family appearing in any racing game anywhere.

Finally there’s the car in the top-left. The shape fits a lot of mid-engined supercars, but we think that it’s the long-awaited C8-generation Chevrolet Corvette. Given its appearance in other racing games, the C8 has been something of a glaring absence from GT7, so it’s a very welcome addition indeed.

Of course the teaser post, as always, only reflects new vehicle content coming to the game. There’s no further information at this time regarding what else might be added in terms of track content or features, though keen-eyed players might have spotted two placeholder names added to the Showcase area of the game regarding two additional Nurburgring location layouts: “endurance” and “sprint”. We will have to wait to see if this results in anything tangible.

We’re expecting the update to arrive on Thursday December 15, just ahead of Gran Turismo’s 25th anniversary on Friday December 23. In-game activities to mark the milestone are already available and will continue through to early January.

Do... do I finally see my car in there?

What a great Christmas gift !!
x factor GIF

Top Bottom