• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOTY award and DLCs

mansoor1980

Gold Member
So i have read the news about games like ELDEN RING and HFW getting DLCs this year (2023) even though the base games were released in 2022 , isnt it fair to assume that such games are................

-not complete releases as said content is still coming.
-hence they are not eligible for GOTY award in 2022 .
-they are eligible for goty award only when said episodic content is finally released for the base game , for example 2023
discuss

R6Rider

Gold Member
Question Mark What GIF by MOODMAN

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Post release expansions coming out a full calendar year later does not make the original release incomplete.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
When you start asking people to pay money, that's when you get judged. Release day. That's when the review score counts and you get graded.

You can patch a game later, you can get a community playing, you can monetize a little on-going support but none of this counts and is pretty much all secondary to the initial release impressions.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
So i have read the news about games like ELDEN RING and HFW getting DLCs this year (2023) even though the base games were released in 2022 , isnt it fair to assume that such games are................

-not complete releases as said content is still coming.
-hence they are not eligible for GOTY award in 2022 .
-they are eligible for goty award only when said episodic content is finally released for the base game , for example 2023
discuss
If this doesn't say "weekend is here" I don't know what does.

Mozzarella

Expansions are supposed to expand the game, its not supposed to complete the game, thats just dirty business.
Look at it through the lens of.
Dragon Age Inquistion - Tresspasser vs Witcher 3: Blood and Wine

One completes the game and provide the ending that was cut out.
The other expands the game and provide a new chapter, a stand alone story that does provide a conclusion but not to the base game. (And a lot of other stuff lol)

As for DLCs it can range from few additions to skins items or entire questlines, so definitely not up for this discussion, its bonus content for hardcore fans of a certain game.

Last edited:

Dick Jones

Gold Member
If you can play the DLC without the base game then the DLC only should be counted in the GOTY talk. Other than that, DLC tracks for Beat Saber in 2023 does not make Beat Saber eligible in 2023.

Aenima

In these both cases they are completed games that are getting expansions. I get more the feeling im buying an incomplete game when they have a season pass from day 1. Assassins Creed games always feel like I'm getting 70% of the game at launch, with the rest coming later. This is evident by incomplete side quests, like the Atlantis one in Odyssey that ends in a cliffhanger in the base game. In Valhalla was done better as the Odin gameplay section is very meaty and while dosent end in something definitive it also dosent end in any cliffhanger.

Top Bottom