• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOG GALAXY 2.0 coming out of Beta

Mackers

Just discovered how good this is in the last week. It's taken over from Steam as my primary games launcher.

For those that dont know. You can bring all of your games from all launchers into one place. It will open launchers for the games you play and auto close them when you quit the game. It also syncs all your achievement data across all platforms, including playstation and xbox so you can see everything in one place. Also has game pages for any games you import, which h is nice because everything looks consistent. Even has pages for unofficial fan made games, AM2R for example.

Just discovered how good this is in the last week. It's taken over from Steam as my primary games launcher.

For those that dont know. You can bring all of your games from all launchers into one place. It will open launchers for the games you play and auto close them when you quit the game. It also syncs all your achievement data across all platforms, including playstation and xbox so you can see everything in one place. Also has game pages for any games you import, which h is nice because everything looks consistent. Even has pages for unofficial fan made games, AM2R for example.

I didn’t discover it until like a month ago when I bought Grim Dawn on sale at GOG. It’s awesome. Fantastic launcher

Anki

Banned
Is it possible to use controller with it? I just want to turn on my pc and gog galaxy to open up so i can use controller to select and play games.
Are emulators supported or just pc games?

jaysius

Banned
Nobody is worried about how tempting hacking the GOG user accounts database will be when people tie so many different accounts to them?

Dontero

Banned
Best damn launcher available. I fucking love that it tracks every game time not just steam etc. You can even add stuff like emulators. Steam doesn't track game time outside of Steam bough games. You can even combine multiple sources of games. Like Steam version, offline modded version and you xbox console version all in one and add up playtime.

Notice BOTW, MHGU, MH4 and C:SOTN all of those are via emulation and you can see that it tracks time.

unknown.png

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

Dontero

Banned
Is it possible to use controller with it? I just want to turn on my pc and gog galaxy to open up so i can use controller to select and play games.
Are emulators supported or just pc games?

Any game, even emulators per game if you know what you are doing.

Dontero

Banned
They are doing this too early. Many features like genre editing are still unavailable. Expect it to buggy.

But it is not buggy. IT works well and never had single bug with it. Genres are based on their database not on steam/gog databases. I personally tag every new game i get because for me most of genres don't make sense anymore as everything is called everything these days.

zcaa0g

Banned
Galaxy seems to miss games here and there that are in Steam. Not very helpful when close to 2000 Steam games in the library.

BigBooper

But it is not buggy. IT works well and never had single bug with it. Genres are based on their database not on steam/gog databases. I personally tag every new game i get because for me most of genres don't make sense anymore as everything is called everything these days.
If you go to edit a game, and you try to click on Genre, Publisher, or Developer it says Feature coming soon. Maybe they changed their mind and just don't want to have that data customizable.

GHG

If you go to edit a game, and you try to click on Genre, Publisher, or Developer it says Feature coming soon. Maybe they changed their mind and just don't want to have that data customizable.

An upcoming feature doesn't make it buggy.

It's not "buggy" .

Also, every single game now has uniform sized, quality cover art. Better than Steam, which has a bunch of undersized covers since they updated.

• Praise the Sun
Reactions: GHG
It's been great for about half a year, people have been sleeping on this launcher for some unknown reason.
I've had it for a long time but I wasn't able to link my other launchers to it until I updated it today. Unless I just had no idea what I was doing. Which is very probable, in fairness

• LOL

Dontero

Banned
It's been great for about half a year, people have been sleeping on this launcher for some unknown reason.

Mostly because it was for a long time in closed beta and then beta. People don't really like to use BETA things. With release of official 2.0 i hope many people will pick it up. It is really amazing piece of software in era where there are more launchers than steam.

ITs build in feature which closes launchers after game is finishes is great.

BigBooper

I've been using it since beta started too. Have you people never tested software before? If you release features to production that were never tested there's almost always bugs.

A.Romero

Nobody is worried about how tempting hacking the GOG user accounts database will be when people tie so many different accounts to them?

Well, unless they are doing something different from any other service that authenticates with another platform, user data is never really stored in GOG's databases. It probably is token based, just like when you authenticate through Google or Facebook to join a site that offers that option.

If you don't use the remember my password option (on Steam) it will probably still require you to login to Steam separately despite launching the game from withi GOG. I have a few games that were bought on the Steam platform but launch through another, for example The Division (the first one). If my Ubi token is still valid, the game launches. If it's not then it requests the user to punch in the credentials. Steam has no knowledge or visibility of my actual Ubi credentials.

Essentially the risk is no higher than to just use the platforms separately.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member

They don’t store username and password, they store a token with limited permission on your machine and on the cloud they only store the list of games and achievements I think.

GHG

I've been using it since beta started too. Have you people never tested software before? If you release features to production that were never tested there's almost always bugs.

That's not how it works either.

You don't just merge builds containing untested features with the production branch.

There will likely still be a "beta" option for those who want it and they will get to test new features before everyone else gets them in the stable build.

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
They don’t store username and password, they store a token with limited permission on your machine and on the cloud they only store the list of games and achievements I think.

I can tell you that I had an Epic account for along time, I was in the Fortnite alphas, when Fortnite got BIG my account was attempted to be hacked MANY MANY TIMES.

Also, if it's a token remember that NORD VPN's key was stolen.

I'm just saying, when websites become busier they become more appetizing for crooks.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I can tell you that I had an Epic account for along time, I was in the Fortnite alphas, when Fortnite got BIG my account was attempted to be hacked MANY MANY TIMES.

Also, if it's a token remember that NORD VPN's key was stolen.

I'm just saying, when websites become busier they become more appetizing for crooks.
None of this authentication data is stored on GOG's servers though. Everything is stored locally in your client files. This means any attacks would need to be targeted to user clients, not a centralized database.

It also means that if you need to uninstall GOG Galaxy, or re-install it on another PC, you'll need to re-connect your accounts.

JSoup

Banned
The few times over used the program, I found is slow, cumbersome and generally not any better than just using the actual launchers tied into it.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Does it have the community tab embedded like the current stable client? The gog forums are some of the most helpful for stuff like mods tweaks and fixes for all the old games, I don't want them to lessen their use with removing it like they did. I was using Galaxy 2, it's certainly nice though I didn't care for adding different libraries (except for the retro games that gaf user is doing), but one time I accidentally reinstalled Galaxy 1 after a Windows refresh and I kept it just because of the community tab. The library was a bit slow too tbh (but not EGS slow and it certainly looks nice).

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Does it have the community tab embedded like the current stable client? The gog forums are some of the most helpful for stuff like mods tweaks and fixes for all the old games, I don't want them to lessen their use with removing it like they did. I was using Galaxy 2, it's certainly nice though I didn't care for adding different libraries (except for the retro games that gaf user is doing), but one time I accidentally reinstalled Galaxy 1 after a Windows refresh and I kept it just because of the community tab. The library was a bit slow too tbh (but not EGS slow and it certainly looks nice).
I'll answer my own question now that they sent out the update as a standard version update with a pop up for the old client and everything. Nope, they didn't do that yet. Sucks. The library view is smoother now at least, but it occasionally resets the grid size to the default.

GOG Galaxy fucked up uninstalling a game. Three processes were running at 100% for over an hour before I rebooted. Dunno what junk is left over.

Anki

Banned
I like it so far, only thing missing for me is big picture mode so i can just power on pc and control gog galaxy with my controller.

Efe

I wish they would have let us use the old Galaxy :/ This one is so buggy, and Steam plugin crashes EVERY. SINGLE. TIME...

Last edited:

jigglet

Banned
Did they change it so you can have multiple accounts on the same platform? I have two Steam accounts and two PSN accounts because I accidentally bought stuff while logged into the wrong one. I still had to log in / out of my accounts using GG so it ended up being pointless for me. But this was like 12 months ago I tried it.

GHG

Did they change it so you can have multiple accounts on the same platform? I have two Steam accounts and two PSN accounts because I accidentally bought stuff while logged into the wrong one. I still had to log in / out of my accounts using GG so it ended up being pointless for me. But this was like 12 months ago I tried it.

With Steam why don't you just set up family sharing for the two accounts which will "merge" them. You can then add one of those accounts to GOG and all the games from both accounts will show up.

jigglet

Banned
With Steam why don't you just set up family sharing for the two accounts which will "merge" them. You can then add one of those accounts to GOG and all the games from both accounts will show up.

good idea. What about psn?

Efe

Looks like there is a big security issue on Galaxy right now, guess I'll keep it uninstalled until it gets fixed.

Kdad

Can a user answer:

I have a steam account but with only a couple games....my son has hundreds and shares his library with me such that it allows me to play his games if he is not logged in.

Will th GOG launcher 'see' these shared games or only my games?

GHG

Can a user answer:

I have a steam account but with only a couple games....my son has hundreds and shares his library with me such that it allows me to play his games if he is not logged in.

Will th GOG launcher 'see' these shared games or only my games?

Yeh they should show up, they recently added family sharing to the main steam integration recently.

Top Bottom