• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire Poised to Become MonsterVerse's Biggest Global Box Office Hit

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber

Godzilla x Kong has generated $194 million stateside so far, and another $366 million from overseas markets, for a cumulative global gross of $561 million. Not only does this push the movie past the $550 million milestone, but it also puts it within touching distance of Kong: Skull Island’s $568 million lifetime haul. Directed by Jordan Vogt-Roberts, Skull Island remains the MonsterVerse’s biggest global hit, while director Gareth Edwards’ first Godzilla is still the series’ biggest domestic hit, with a lifetime haul of $200 million. Godzilla x Kong has a shot at breaking both records.

I think embracing the Showa era's lighter tone and wacky sci-fi storytelling was a smart idea and is what they should do going forward. That tone + modern effects is a good combination. As amazing as Minus One is, this was just FUN.

RavenSan

Off-Site Inflammatory Member
Yup -- watched it the other day and "fun" is the right word for it. No stupid drama sub plots, no fluff, just pure balls-to-the-wall stupidity. I think let Japan keep doing the serious ones (Shin, Minus One) -- and let America do the wacky just-monsters-beating-the-shit-out-of-each-other stuff.

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
Still waiting on Minus One.
No US date yet. It’ll either be late 2024 or 2025. The deal with Legendary says they can’t release it the same year as a US Godzilla. The rumor is Criterion is doing it in the US though.

Fbh

Good for them.
Aside from the uneven visuals I thought it was pretty fun. I enjoyed the lighter tone and less focus on boring human drama. They mostly focused on the less annoying and more likeable human characters (the scientist lady and the deaf girl) in a way where the monsters didn't feel like a side distraction.

It was dumb fun in a way that reminded me of the mid to late 90's with stuff like Independence day, Armageddon, The Mummy

Urban

I experienced similar scenarios as a kid when I played with toys. To me, the movie felt like "a rich person playing with oversized toys and making a film about it."

FunkMiller

Absolutely fucking dumb as shit - but I kinda... loved it?

Possibly for the same reason I occasionally still watch WWE.

BossLackey

Gold Member
As others have said, dumb fun.

Regardless of the quality of the movie, I'm hoping this translates to more kaiju movies.

VulcanRaven

Its interesting that movies with Kong as the main character are the top 2. I'm a big King Kong fan but wouldn't have predicted that.

j0hnnix

No US date yet. It’ll either be late 2024 or 2025. The deal with Legendary says they can’t release it the same year as a US Godzilla. The rumor is Criterion is doing it in the US though.
Ugh. I almost want to go all Jack Sparrow just so I can watch it, but I haven't seen any with English Subs yet. I'm definitely buying it once it releases, criterion doing is a plus I believe.. heard some good things on their 4k releases.

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
Ugh. I almost want to go all Jack Sparrow just so I can watch it, but I haven't seen any with English Subs yet. I'm definitely buying it once it releases, criterion doing is a plus I believe.. heard some good things on their 4k releases.
They did a great job with the Showa collection. The restorations are amazing.

VulcanRaven

They did a great job with the Showa collection. The restorations are amazing.
I heard that Toho didn't give them the most recent restorations of all the movies.

I wish Toho would release the 4K Blu-Rays outside Japan. King Kong vs Godzilla was released in 2021 but its still Japan only.

Last edited:
That's theatrical exhibition. The reason that G-1 isn't out yet is simply because Japan fears reverse importation so there is always a delay between domestic JP release and international release. Anyone who's ever bought anime on spinning round discs before knows how this works.

JCK75

It's hard to get kids to go to movies these days, they just don't seem to be into them..
but this one my son wanted to see as did my girlfriends kids.. and I've never seen any of them react to a movie like this before..
They were just so into it, cheering when the tides turned in kongs favor..

God it was so good to just sit and watch a fun movie without being lectured about anything.

Top Bottom