• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Godzilla Vs Kong Spoiler discussion and what's next ?

What did you think about GvsK ?

Votes: 12 8.6%

Votes: 12 8.6%

Votes: 35 25.2%

Votes: 42 30.2%

Votes: 18 12.9%

Votes: 5 3.6%

Votes: 6 4.3%

Votes: 1 0.7%

Votes: 2 1.4%

Votes: 2 1.4%

Votes: 4 2.9%

• Total voters
Damn man Mecha Godzilla beat the brakes off of Godzilla's ass. Even when they teamed up to take Mecha, Mecha pushed Kong aside started whooping his ass again on some "fool didn't I tell yo scaly ass to sit down" :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Pagusas

Elden Member
I think we all know what is next...

658887ab3cb54e1b2385004ab0b1b574--baby-godzilla-gamera-kaiju.jpg

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Might as have a final film with Destoroyah.

Have Destoroyah absolutely rip Kong apart in the first five minutes.

Watched it. Thoughts:

1) Human parts bad, monster fights good. The acting in this was horrific and the characters were completely useless. Zero redeeming qualities.
2) It's difficult to come up with a good reason for these two monsters to fight, lol. It was paper thin in this movie.
3) The fight
against Mecha Godzilla was a letdown. It was a lazy transformers design and ended quickly.

There were some absolutely brutal scenes that were a sight to behold, so it succeeded on that level. Everything else was a bad movie. This reboot isn't going anywhere. I feel like there has to be some kind of horror element to it to work, otherwise it just feels like a cartoon.

Last edited:

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.

'Godzilla vs. Kong' and the Future of the MonsterVerse​

Where does the Monsterverse go after Godzilla vs. Kong? Before we tackle the human-side of things, let’s talk about the monsters.
With the battle over, Godzilla swims back into the sea, as he’s known to do, leaving audiences wondering if there will be a Rocky II-style rematch, or perhaps other antagonistic Titans, in his future.
Hopefully, we’ll see more of Hollywood’s Godzilla, Mothra and Rodan, alongside some familiar Toho characters that Legendary couldn’t obtain the lease to previously: Anguirus, Gigan, King Caesar, Ebirah, etc.
But if not, the Monsterverse has certainly proven to be adept at delivering new giant monsters, from Skull-Crawlers to Behemoth (that giant-Mastodon creature from King of the Monsters) to encounter.

Kong is positioned to remain central to the Monsterverse franchise
Godzilla vs. Kong establishes a new home for Kong within the Hollow Earth, a world within our world where the Titans hail from.
Within the Hollow Earth, Kong learns pieces of his ancestry, discovers new monsters, accepts his role as a monarch, and gains awareness of an ancient conflict that encompassed his race and Godzilla’s.

Wingard revealed recently that he cut the film’s post-credit scene, rumored to point to the Monsterverse’s next conflict.
The choice is interesting, because it seems fairly obvious that had Godzilla vs. Kong been met with the same reception of as King of the Monsters, it would’ve been curtains for the franchise, and the lack of a post-credit scene at least allows for a sense of finality without creating frustration over a cliffhanger never to be resolved.
Legendary and Warner Bros. may have been unprepared for the positive reaction, but even without the post-credits tag it remains clear that there’s plenty to discover and uncover within the Hollow Earth.

The space would not only place Kong at the forefront but create a new world to explore that doesn’t have the familiarity of Skull Island or Tokyo in these movies.
In fact, Kong: Hollow Earth has a pretty great ring to it. And with Monarch establishing a new station in the Hollow Earth, there’s an easy answer for including the human characters in Kong’s journey going forward.

More here:

Last edited:

Pejo

'Godzilla vs. Kong' and the Future of the MonsterVerse​

Where does the Monsterverse go after Godzilla vs. Kong? Before we tackle the human-side of things, let’s talk about the monsters.
With the battle over, Godzilla swims back into the sea, as he’s known to do, leaving audiences wondering if there will be a Rocky II-style rematch, or perhaps other antagonistic Titans, in his future.
Hopefully, we’ll see more of Hollywood’s Godzilla, Mothra and Rodan, alongside some familiar Toho characters that Legendary couldn’t obtain the lease to previously: Anguirus, Gigan, King Caesar, Ebirah, etc.
But if not, the Monsterverse has certainly proven to be adept at delivering new giant monsters, from Skull-Crawlers to Behemoth (that giant-Mastodon creature from King of the Monsters) to encounter.

Kong is positioned to remain central to the Monsterverse franchise
Godzilla vs. Kong establishes a new home for Kong within the Hollow Earth, a world within our world where the Titans hail from.
Within the Hollow Earth, Kong learns pieces of his ancestry, discovers new monsters, accepts his role as a monarch, and gains awareness of an ancient conflict that encompassed his race and Godzilla’s.

Wingard revealed recently that he cut the film’s post-credit scene, rumored to point to the Monsterverse’s next conflict.
The choice is interesting, because it seems fairly obvious that had Godzilla vs. Kong been met with the same reception of as King of the Monsters, it would’ve been curtains for the franchise, and the lack of a post-credit scene at least allows for a sense of finality without creating frustration over a cliffhanger never to be resolved.
Legendary and Warner Bros. may have been unprepared for the positive reaction, but even without the post-credits tag it remains clear that there’s plenty to discover and uncover within the Hollow Earth.

The space would not only place Kong at the forefront but create a new world to explore that doesn’t have the familiarity of Skull Island or Tokyo in these movies.
In fact, Kong: Hollow Earth has a pretty great ring to it. And with Monarch establishing a new station in the Hollow Earth, there’s an easy answer for including the human characters in Kong’s journey going forward.

More here:
Boring. Kong is boring. He can do monkey stuff, that's it. This movie felt more like "Kong (featuring Gojira from the Gojira series™)", but I don't know if I can watch another 2 hours of "Monke grabs dinosaur's jaw and bonks him". Kong was interesting when it was him in NYC, or him on his island, but we've already seen those movies now. Let's move on.

Pagusas

Elden Member
So just got back from it.

Trash tier. Just like the last film.

How in the world did they screw up these movies so much, the first one gave them the perfect template to build from. The monsters look ridiculous and lack and weight or heft to them. Godzilla 1 gave us the perfect "this is what titans would look like fighting". The last 2 movies just look like complete CG trash in comparison. Its just so comically bad and groan worthy. Godzilla 1, pacific rim 1 and Cloverfield really gave us that perfect showing of how do these films, how in the hell have all their sequels been such trash and complete opposite of direction of them???

How in the world did they screw up these movies so much, the first one gave them the perfect template to build from. The monsters look ridiculous and lack and weight or heft to them. Godzilla 1 gave us the perfect "this is what titans would look like fighting". The last 2 movies just look like complete CG trash in comparison. Its just so comically bad and groan worthy. Godzilla 1, pacific rim 1 and Cloverfield really gave us that perfect showing of how do these films, how in the hell have all their sequels been such trash and complete opposite of direction of them???
You people are insane. It's a giant nuclear fire breathing dino fighting a giant monkey... and yall bitchin it looks fake?

Try having some fun every once in awile

pel1300

I really like Kong Skull Island. The rest of this monsterverse is just ok.

I feel crazy in that:

The Incredible Hulk 2008
Man of Steel
Kong Skull Island

Are 3 of my most rewatchef films and people shit on them.

Pagusas

Elden Member
You people are insane. It's a giant nuclear fire breathing dino fighting a giant monkey... and yall bitchin it looks fake?

Try having some fun every once in awile

I did, in the first film. And they made him look amazing in the first film. Why is it 4 films later he looks worse than ever? Why is the tense atmosphere completely gone? Its just poor direction at the end of the day.

Shouta

Loved it. The characters were just enough to keep the movie going and that's all I really wanted from them so it was perfect for me.

raduque

All i could think was "Da Lench Mob lied to me".

Seriously though, I enjoyed it a lot. The fights were amazing, and I got a little giddy when Mechagodzilla was revealed. I definitely want to see more Hollow Earth, and I also really want to know where Godzilla goes when he swims away.

Cocksman

Was pretty decent. I’ll never watch the full movie again though. Will YouTube the fight scenes again though.

Mossybrew

Im about an hour in and almost dont want to continue, the movie is so fucking cheesy whenever these dumb actors are onscreen, they are uniformly annoying. No deaf kid youre not cute and your mom looks weird. Milliebobbybro no thanks, you have zero screen presence and it feels like you walked onscreen from a high school production. Well Kong just beat down some hollow earth reptile so maybe Ill keep watching.

Arkam

Visually the film was spectacular. Excellent special effects throughout. Made the Monster fights really shine. Sure some of the fights dont make a lot of sense.... but damn they look fantastic!

However the plot was incredibly dumb and EVERY scene with the humans were terrible. The amount of cringe lines per scene was impressive. Not a single character was even remotely tolerable... yet they just dont die.

When they went to that lower earth (or what ever they called it), their plan was to use antigravity ships for them selves.... but just drop Kong from the sky? Like even for him that looked like death sentence. Then when he gets to his "throne" i was so sure that he would be fighting Megatron with that axe. Yes, I thought we has crossed into the Michael Bay TransUniverse.

Anyone else get a Theme Park ride vibe with the antigravity ships? Especially when they came back through the void and were right there whizzing past Kong and then Godzilla almost seemed like a commercial for a new ride at Universal Studios.

Over all 4/10 from me. Cut out the humans and would probably be 7/10.

Jon Neu

Banned
Boring. Kong is boring. He can do monkey stuff, that's it. This movie felt more like "Kong (featuring Gojira from the Gojira series™)", but I don't know if I can watch another 2 hours of "Monke grabs dinosaur's jaw and bonks him". Kong was interesting when it was him in NYC, or him on his island, but we've already seen those movies now. Let's move on.

Pretty much.

That's why we need an Evangelion film trilogy, because the human characters will carry the movie and then the giant fights would be the icing on the cake.

Call me, Hollywood.

Ovek

7Member7
Average, the human parts were baffling and the monster fights were forgettable. Thinking about it I rescind my earlier average score because the film is just dire garbage.

MaestroMike

Gold Member

Like all other 2021 Warner titles, Godzilla vs. Kong launched day and date on HBO Max, yet it's unclear what impact that had on its theatrical run.

HBO Max didn't release viewership numbers, but said the film has had a larger viewing audience in its first four days than any other film or show since the launch of the streaming service.

"The HBO Max audience has spoken very clearly and loudly: they love this film and are watching it more than once,” said Andy Forssell, exec vp and general manager of WarnerMedia Direct-to-Consumer.
At the box office, the Legendary movie actually beat the domestic opening of the last installment, Godzilla: King of the Monsters ($47.8 million), although the comparison isn't exactly apples to oranges, since the latter was a three-day opening. But no one will quibble.

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Thought it was pretty great. It's like it finally clicked that you can't take giant monkeys and fire breathing giant lizard monsters too seriously. The human parts were always a drag in the other movies, here they are cut down to barebones and are just there to give a reason to get to the next set-piece.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Kong is much better character than Green Lizardon.

He's empathetic and relatable, we have more in common with him than a fucking Nuke Lizard. The touching moments between him and the little girl were nice, I felt like I could care about Kong. Meanwhile Godzilla is just a wild card you can never predict. 😴

I'm glad he's the protagonist and they expanded upon his origins. The Hollow Earth has room for a sequel and they can always go Cosmic in future films.

Anyone else get a Theme Park ride vibe with the antigravity ships? Especially when they came back through the void and were right there whizzing past Kong and then Godzilla almost seemed like a commercial for a new ride at Universal Studios.
YES! THIS RIGHT HERE! It was straight out of the old ride from Universal studios!

First-person view as it flew right past his mouth.

megamerican

I watched the first hour and fifteen minutes. I liked the part where Kong woke up scratched his ass and took a shower. The rest was a total snoozer and I turned it off. WTF is with the podcast shit and now suddenly humans have spaceships? The CGI looked cartoony and lacked any sort of weight as well.

It's not like I'm too good for this stuff, I loved the original Kong, the 2005 Kong, Kong Skull Island, and I really enjoyed Pacific Rim. I don't believe it's a valid excuse to make people sit through over half the runtime of garbage jokey plot that's not even close to being funny to get too some cartoony fighting.

Aggelos

Lots of fun. Neon and synths, Adam Wingard ftw.

Amen to that. Neon, synths and stuff is crazy. It's so good, it's like 'cerebral masturbation'.
The trend that Pacific Rim started (putting giant robots against Kaiju in Hong Kong) was something off the chain. So when the Godzilla Vs Kong trailer first dropped, Guillermo Del Toro tweeted about it, at the drop of the hat.
Godzilla against Kong in Hong Kong, full of neons and synths, we've got ourselves a winner here. The 'pious hope' here is that there should have been more Kaiju action going down in Godzilla Vs Kong (especially in Hong Kong). It's part of human nature: when something's good, people just want more.

There's no director's cut version to this film. Wingard's 1st cut was 2 hours 15 mins. He always wanted the film to be around 2 hours long, that was his vision.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I dont know how to feel about this movie. it is definitely cool to kong and godzilla fight, but there werent many oh shit moments. it was mostly just another episode of Pacific Rim.

visuals were amazing. the cinematographer is the same guy who did BvS. the hong kong night fight look gorgeous.

i think they shouldve had some crowd pleasing moments, and maybe some more monsters. I really liked the last one because that flying bird thing and mothera were basically sidekicks in a great monster movie. here its just kong vs godzilla and mecha godzilla at the very end.

Sorry, but Godzilla 2014 was bad. Boring humans, boring plot, and no monster action. Pacific Rim is still the best by a mile though

Gareth Evans had something interesting going in 2014 but did not fully commit to it and forgot he was making a monster movie.

So you wanted a MechaG à la Ready Player One?
The image I quoted looks similar to this (except for the arms and short tail)

4905_pd3614354_1_.jpg

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed the movie and was happy to see Mecha-G. Kiryu is still the best iteration though.

A.Romero

The movie is OK for what it is. Nobody expects this big budget action movies to be Oscar worthy. You just go and have a good time looking at huge monsters beating each other. As usual, the human side is the weakest link but this time it was particularly bad. You could have the movie without the kids and it would be a better movie.

I think Kong could have done some more damage but whatever, we always knew they can't die.

A few places where it could go from here:

- Space invaders
- Cloned monsters (by humans trying to weaponize them)
- Monsters from hollow earth awakened by a cosmic event
- Humans attempting to make more mechanized monsters
- A prequel based on the original monster wars
- One of them going crazy because of a virus or something like that

Also, if there is a continuation I'd like to see Kong really taking advantage of it's intelligence. Wearing an armor, using a slingshot, etc. This battle was like having a human fighting a giant armored alligator while wielding an axe, Kong had no chance, really.

I prefer Cloverfield, though. Give me more of those movies!

SJRB

Gold Member
Considering how paper-thin the plot is in these movies they can go literally anywhere they want.

I mean, Godzilla vs Kong just straight up ignored the 10+ titans that survived KotM. Technology advanced like 400 years between KotM and GvsK. It doesn't matter what happens in any of these movies.

That said: Mecha Ghidorah pls

R6Rider

Gold Member
It wasn't horrible, and the fights were great, but too many human subplots and pointless characters.

The whole center earth world could easily see many spin-offs or additional monster films in the future.

finally watched the movie in Dolby Cinema. it's an awesome movie for what it was and I totally enjoyed it. they learned the lesson and keep the focus on the monster fights. the small portions of human BS is kept to a minimum and is completely stupid, but I can bare with it since it's all for setting up the big fight. and of course the fights are great. more focus on the monsters and the fights is what I'm here for, and I am happy with what I get.

I do have a few issues. like why is travel to hollow earth going through some kind of portal? what's the point of Stranger Thing girl and her little team's adventure? you can pretty much cut all of that out and the movie won't be any different (you can write it so Zilla and Kong tag team MechaZilla and win without the help of the spilled drink). and how is it that during King of Monsters, the highest tech stuff is that flying fortress/stealth bomber thing. but now it's 3 years later and we have mag-lev tunnels going from Florida to Hong Kong by some private company, hover craft, and we can build mechaGodzilla? just some slight nip-picks I have, which in no way effect my enjoyment of the movie.

as for where it goes from here, I think there's a couple things we can look into. first, as we didn't see the Serizawa guy actually dies (I mean he just kinda got zipped and passed out right?), they can maybe write it so that the mind of Ghidorah had actually taken over him and maybe using him to make mechaGhidorah or something. then you have the hollow earth, which you can either have Kong find some bigger threat that's emerging or maybe some kinda portal to another dimension that has monsters coming through. and the "temple" of Kong has those really straight and smooth pillars and there's like energy going through them. maybe can write it as some alien thing that was built long ago when they visited earth and tie in to them coming back with some other kaiju? anyway, just thinking out loud mostly.

Great Hair

Banned
How can the CGI of Jurassic Park still be unmatched?! Next time, release the ultra vfx with HQ texture patch with the movie. This felt more like a 1:1 carbon copy of RAMPAGE! The video game and less of a Godzilla.

Among the most expensive b-movie i´ve ever seen. The cast was among the worst, a true candidate for Best of the Worst.

visuals = 3/5
story, plot = 1/5
casting = -5/5
good pairs of t*** = 3/5
fights = 6/5

3 out 5
sorry gorilla GIF by Warner Bros. Deutschland

Rewatch Pacific Rim instead.

Top Bottom