• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Series Will Be “True to Source Material" Says Amazon Studios Vernon Sanders

Drizzlehell

Banned
ace-ventura-jim-carrey.gif

Because I kinda get the feeling that they will still try to include THE MESSAGE and update it for modern audiences so that the show could reflect the world we live in today.

I mean, the series already pillaged and twisted Greek and Norse mythologies to its own ends so who the fuck cares about staying true to anything. They can come up with any woke bullshit they want and still claim it's true to the source, because the very source they're drawing upon is known for taking liberties with previously established myths.

Okish theory, but he's an annoying fuckface in Ragnarök too.

He's just a shitty character that's annoying.

Ragnarök even fucked up the character of Kratos though, he's not much better than a Drax from Gunn's Guardians of the Galaxy, being excluded from many conversations and only lending grunts to them when he's queried for an opinion. Then characters talking about his actions like he's a fucking dog "OH HE MUST HAVE FOUND A CHEST" just shit that doesn't need to be there.

Ragnarök is through and through written like shit.
Kratos does grunt a lot, it's true...but that's because he isn't some modern man in touch with his feelings who needs therapy if he stubs his toe.

He's a God of War, a killer, who has personally slaughtered thousands with his bare hands, and is from a culture that celebrates glory in battle, courage, and sacrifice.

I think you are asking too much if you are expecting him to be in touch with his feminine side.

He grunts, he says little, because he's about action and doing what needs to be done and talk is unnecessary and means revealing personal information...and that can be used against you.

Atreus is the counter weight to Kratos, he is his only real weakness, the only thing that brings out genuine emotions - which are so overwhelming he smothers the boy with his cautious, over protecting nature.

Plus, you could argue Atreus is just rebelling like all teenagers do - especially ones with parents who wrap them in cotton wool and try to shield them from the ugliness of the world.

It can backfire as the child might end up naive and frightened.

Anyway, I haven't even given this any thought until just now...it just seemed apparent to me playing the game.

I haven't even finished it yet, by the way.

Last edited:

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Will Kratos be played by a black man in whiteface?
Not offensive enough. Needs to be played by a white man in blackface wearing whiteface to maximise the problem.

Because of the ashes issue, it will be tough sell on lightening the skin colour of the eventual actor. Christopher Judge would be great choice. The big problem is some utter clam will think it's whiteface on a black man for no reason and offensive. Not a permanent reminder and punishment for Kratos' actions.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Not offensive enough. Needs to be played by a white man in blackface wearing whiteface to maximise the problem.

Because of the ashes issue, it will be tough sell on lightening the skin colour of the eventual actor. Christopher Judge would be great choice. The big problem is some utter clam will think it's whiteface on a black man for no reason and offensive. Not a permanent reminder and punishment for Kratos' actions.
The problem with Chris, he is almost 60 and has had several back/hip surgeries already. 15 or so years ago it would have been perfect. Especially his Teal'c years.

Last edited:

ToTTenTranz

Banned
What sort of changes?
I think it’s perfect as is.

In the first GoW games most gods and demi gods just show up, yell and roar, get pounded to a pulp and die. The remaining 20% are mostly driven by power at any cost like Bond villains and then there's Athena which has a bit more depth but nothing out of the ordinary.
Like I said, for the original games that had little ambition to make a story-heavy game that much was fine. It's just not enough for a live-action adaptation in my opinion.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
budget is one thing.
CGI VFX is one thing.

Where the fuck are they going to find an actor to play Kratos !?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
budget is one thing.
CGI VFX is one thing.

Where the fuck are they going to find an actor to play Kratos !?

But this one face wise would be good (since he's an actor already)...
26a6d-16655588623824-1920.jpg

USATSI_11258824-1024x727.jpg

And before anyone says anything about "acting range" ... did you see the less than average clown shoes they chose for Ring of Power? Less than High School play level actors in not only look (they looked way out of place for the time period) but acting chops.

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.

But this one face wise would be good (since he's an actor already)...
26a6d-16655588623824-1920.jpg

USATSI_11258824-1024x727.jpg

And before anyone says anything about "acting range" ... did you see the less than average clown shoes they chose for Ring of Power? Less than High School play level actors in not only look (they looked way out of place for the time period) but acting chops.

i have a feeling they will find someone which will surprise us...in not a good way.

ToTTenTranz

Banned

I agree they should start looking at WWE for Kratos. Picking up a scrawny Hollywood actor in the hopes he can bulk up to the physique of a pro-wrestler or strongest man competitor is just going to make the series look ridiculous.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I can already feel the writers room vibe now.

1. Multicultural representation amongst the Norse and Greek pantheon, check.
2. Not enough multicultural representation, so pull from other mythos but make sure they are super accurate and "honoring the cultures form which we draw", check.
3. Kratos will now have MASSIVE daddy issues, guaranteed.
4. Let's give him a team of quirky wacky characters cause a man can't work alone.
5. Can he not kill any women, please?

Flutta

Banned
LMAO sure sure. Kratos is ultra masculine i mean even in his latest game they made him a cuck and you want us to believe that AMAZON *cough ROP cough* to respect the source material. Bahahahaha

Last edited:

2. Not enough multicultural representation, so pull from other mythos but make sure they are super accurate and "honoring the cultures form which we draw", check.
4. Let's give him a team of quirky wacky characters cause a man can't work alone.
Kratos will end up a bit player in his own story as strong independent women save everyone.

The way they completely neutered Tyr in Ragnarok was bad enough.

Turned him from a God of unimaginable power into a pacifist homebody who enjoyed needle work and cooking.

Dick Jones

Gold Member

Kratos did have Daddy issues 😂

Nice!! So, the opposite of the Witcher series. It’s so bad it’s basically just unwatchable if you care at all about the source material. Hard to imagine it’s been bungled this badly.

Like, if you’re writing a show that’s based off a book series and a massively popular video game series, you should at least try and use the books a little bit as more than just an inspiration.

Last edited:

ebevan91

Nice!! So, the opposite of the Witcher series. It’s so bad it’s basically just unwatchable if you care at all about the source material. Hard to imagine it’s been bungled this badly.

Like, if you’re writing a show that’s based off a book series and a massively popular video game series, you should at least try and use the books a little bit as more than just an inspiration.

I'm glad I jumped ship during season 1.

bitbydeath

In the first GoW games most gods and demi gods just show up, yell and roar, get pounded to a pulp and die. The remaining 20% are mostly driven by power at any cost like Bond villains and then there's Athena which has a bit more depth but nothing out of the ordinary.
Like I said, for the original games that had little ambition to make a story-heavy game that much was fine. It's just not enough for a live-action adaptation in my opinion.
Kratos on a journey to reach Ares stumbles across and kills Gods, Demi-Gods and other mythical creatures, kind of like how a lot of adventure movies work. Krull’s a good example of it, or Lord of the Rings.

Won't believe it until I see it. I mean this could be the easiest adaptation, there are not so many characters to screw up, but for sure they will add their "new generation woke characters" making this the
The new God of War as already plenty woke.

The old ones could offer something akin to the John Wick saga (mostly pure action driven story).
john wick dog GIF by John Wick: Chapter 2

Sounds to me like nobody in here has watched Invincible or The Boys? Otherwise there would be no doubt about how good this can turn out.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
Kratos on a journey to reach Ares stumbles across and kills Gods, Demi-Gods and other mythical creatures, kind of like how a lot of adventure movies work. Krull’s a good example of it, or Lord of the Rings.
And if they were to just make a TV series with the same depth as an old adventure movie then they wouldn't need to pay for the rights of using the God of War IP.
It would probably be as successful as God of War 2018 would, if the latter followed the same old formula as the previous games.

bitbydeath

And if they were to just make a TV series with the same depth as an old adventure movie then they wouldn't need to pay for the rights of using the God of War IP.
It would probably be as successful as God of War 2018 would, if the latter followed the same old formula as the previous games.
It’s all about the journey, the visual aspect alone would be a huge draw if they get it right.
images

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Will be terrible translated to TV... theres a reason 1:1 translation from medium to medium rarely works. The pacing, story beats, tone and delivery aren't easily translatable. I hope they make pretty significant changes to how the adventure plays out but you can keep the outcomes the same. But the god of war story is pretty B movie outside of Kratos character development. A 1:1 translation may make it feel like a tele-novella.
it's god of war, it's gonna translate better than any other game LOL. That game has so many cutscenes and scripted walking events it's insane, they could easily make a tv show out of it.

Last edited:

spawn

They should have started with Kratos as a Spartan commander. Way more potential for a starting point there and then moving into the norse saga

jason10mm

Gold Member
God of Sulk
God of Mope
God of Emo

Just trying these out. I would be SHOCKED if it's "God of Direct Action, Revenge, Rage, and No Fucks Given".

I know it's possible, The Terminal List basically proves it, but I just don't think that's what we are gonna get. I strongly suspect we will have to sit through a lot of pathos and a lengthy greasy haired wino stage before we get to the God killing.

God of Sulk
God of Mope
God of Emo

Just trying these out. I would be SHOCKED if it's "God of Direct Action, Revenge, Rage, and No Fucks Given".

I know it's possible, The Terminal List basically proves it, but I just don't think that's what we are gonna get. I strongly suspect we will have to sit through a lot of pathos and a lengthy greasy haired wino stage before we get to the God killing.
It's a given Kratos won't be strong, capable, and charismatic - with those being seen as a strength to be admired.

They will take great pleasure in robbing him of any positive male traits and will neuter his masculine imperative with cynical glee.

You just know he'll be outsmarted and eventually outmuscled by a 5ft 2in tiny young girl who will force him to acknowledge the "inherent misogyny" in his very existence, and he'll end up shedding his "toxic masculinity" so that, by the end, he's able to cry and let himself be vulnerable...ooops, I nearly threw up in my mouth then.

Obviously, I'm being somewhat melodramatic, but not so much that it's completely unrealistic at the same time.

Personally, I reckon it's probably not that far off the mark.

Last edited:
Top Bottom