• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God Of War TV Series Will Be 'Keeping All The Values Of The Game' says TV Producer

Draugoth

Gold Member
god-of-war-kratos-scream.jpg

A second major source has confirmed that the upcoming God of War television series on Amazon Prime Video will remain true to the games' story. In an interview with Deadline last week, Sony Pictures TV Studios President Katherine Pope reiterated claims made in December by Amazon Studio's Head of Television Vernon Sanders that the storylines would stay faithful to the games.

"I know the game pretty well, and I’m so impressed with what they’re already doing in terms of building out that world and expanding, keeping all the values of the game but also expanding it so that if you don’t know the game, it’s still going to be a really satisfying show on its own," Pope explained.

That quote comes from a response from Pope to a question regarding her favorite Sony video game IPs, including what games she would like to see make the transition to television. While she admitted God of War is still in its "early stages" as a television series, it was the one gaming IP that she singled out, so her passion for the current project is evident.

MiguelItUp

Yeah, I bet. Especially after TLOU's success, lol. I'm really curious to see how it all pans out. Hoping it turns out great.

In a world full of amazing video games stories, I think the idea of animation and live action films or shows is ALWAYS welcome. ESPECIALLY if they're done very well.

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
It feels like they're gonna go straight to the Norse Mythology part of Kratos' story. Would have been good to have seen the epic Greek Mythology arc, but oh well.
Would be completely silly to say that they want to keep the values intact and then ignore the first games but i sense the same.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
It feels like they're gonna go straight to the Norse Mythology part of Kratos' story. Would have been good to have seen the epic Greek Mythology arc, but oh well.
There's no way they'd start on Greek saga. It'll be a few violent flashbacks with gritty color-grading.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
I have so much trouble imagining this actually being any good.

I'd be happy to be surprised though.
I'm with you on this one, TLOU, Uncharted yeah easily transferable to TV.. God of War!?! Unless you throw money at it how does it work? Do you tell his early life before he became a god? How do you ground it in such a way to give it mainstream appeal without losing the core audience and what makes it GOW!? I wouldn't want to be the guys adapting this one tbf

FeralEcho

They do know the saga started in Ancient Greece with Kratos fighting hydras,skyscrapper level Gods and monsters and Titans on backgrounds that actually look like they put some thought in the art style of the area and not Kratos hanging around with boi in forest number 5002 grunting every 30 seconds...Who am I kidding? They'll start with the norse mythology,offer a lame flashback with Ancient Greece and proceed to give us Kratos and boi going on a journey with 10 hours of talk and grunting with the ocasional battle in between.They don't have the budger to give us Ancient Greece and all the original trilogy offered.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
I'm with you on this one, TLOU, Uncharted yeah easily transferable to TV.. God of War!?! Unless you throw money at it how does it work? Do you tell his early life before he became a god? How do you ground it in such a way to give it mainstream appeal without losing the core audience and what makes it GOW!? I wouldn't want to be the guys adapting this one tbf
Easy. The show starts just like the 2016 game did. The whole Greek part of his live will be told by painted vases / animations. You will have Baldur and Thor as enemies. Maybe a troll or a dragon. That's it. Super small in scale, just like the last two games.

Last edited:

Teletraan1

Banned
Considering how poor, rings of power and wheel of time turned out, not holding my breath Amazon
Amazon output usually depends on who the show runners and writers are. Amazon also put out Reacher, Terminal List and The Boys so they aren't total shit in terms of handling properties. (the boys has been getting worse) A lot of people had your reaction to Henry Cavill's Warhammer announcement and I would say the same thing in that case. The people running/writing RoP and Wheel of Time are trash. Wheel of time guy was on Survivor and wrote for 3 shows prior. The RoP guys have fuck all for writing credits prior to being given a billion dollar franchise.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Show needs to start with " The Gods of Olympus have abandoned me, now there is no hope "
And narrated by Linda Hunt.
Along with a epic narration for the season finale and start of season.
If not it's already failed.

Last edited:
Top Bottom