• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Ragnarök G|OT|Y

Markio128

If he was the only person, let alone not one of the many folks who have said the same thing in this very thread, then I guess 🤷‍♂️
south park beat a dead horse GIF

SSfox

And why should we care what this dude thinks?
Who Is That Jeremy Renner GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon
I'm a huge GOW fan, didn't start Ragnarok yet (too busy this past month), but if it is something like in Shadow of Tomb Raider it need to be call out, i fucking hate it in this last game. Can't speak about Ragnarok yet, this guy can be a hater and just exaggerating like many morons in twitter that beg for attention. So idk.

If you love a game you should critical about stuffs you don't like much, and of course praise the stuffs you like as well, it's called... BALANCE.

Last edited:

SSfox

thats the only time they do that. probably because it was the first puzzle in the game. the rest of the game, especially the optional puzzles are not like this.
Oh nice to hear, i was worried it will be another Shadow of TR. So this twitter guy is just a another hater like many others. Not surprising considering from who the tweet was posted
uZjuI9X.png

Last edited:

Boneless

There really should have been a verbosity scale in the games many accessibility settings.

Oh fuck off to that twitter user, as if freezing the geyser isn't obvious enough. There are plenty harder puzzles where you dont get any proper hints.

In any case, the first geyser is more about introducing a gameplay mechanic that can be used in puzzles, rather than a puzzle in itself.

Last edited:
Oh fuck off to that twitter user, as if freezing the geyser isn't obvious enough. There are plenty harder puzzles where you dont get any proper hints.

In any case, the first geyser is more about introducing a gameplay mechanic that can be used in puzzles, rather than a puzzle in itself.
LMAOOOO you actually changed my opinion about this. Like what dumbass is trying to “solve“ that puzzle. I saw my cousin play this section and didn’t even know the axe freezes water.

Anyways looks like GOW2 is starting things off.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
If he was the only person, let alone not one of the many folks who have said the same thing in this very thread, then I guess 🤷‍♂️
We all bitched about that scene but that was it. From that point onwards, they very rarely give out hints let alone answers to puzzles like that.

Anyone who has played the game would know this.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
We all bitched about that scene but that was it. From that point onwards, they very rarely give out hints let alone answers to puzzles like that.

Anyone who has played the game would know this.

I never got stuck in puzzles long enough to get to that point but for someone who needs the time, I can't comment how vocal the game can get.

SlimySnake

Put me in the "companions almost never help me anymore with the puzzles" team.
lol yep. I just spent 20 minutes on a dumb nornier chest that has you link flame bombs. I was like Atreus help.

Turns out it was a health chest and I’ve already maxed out my health so all i got was some shattered runes….

Boneless

After all the complaints I read about Ironwood on here, what a pleasant surprise! I hated the thought of having to play as Atreus, but I actually dig it, his combat works really well. The girl has a well written character and a great voice actress, the surroundings are beautiful on my OLED, the story progression is interesting. All the hate because you have to grab some roots?

SlimySnake

After all the complaints I read about Ironwood on here, what a pleasant surprise! I hated the thought of having to play as Atreus, but I actually dig it, his combat works really well. The girl has a well written character and a great voice actress, the surroundings are beautiful on my OLED, the story progression is interesting. All the hate because you have to grab some roots?
The graphics are gorgeous and the girl is an interesting companion but it’s too long. Should’ve been a 20 minute section but it keeps going.

Can't relate. I've had a great time with this game.

I also don't understand how some people have finished the game in 30 or less hours while I only finished it now with more then double the time needed.
Seems like some people just rush through everything. They have to mash buttons otherwise the game is boring. Which explains why they can't enjoy the storybits and dialogue scenes.
I have a friend like that, he will not enjoy a game if it's not straight up action only.

Yup, 5 roots or so... When I was reading about that I had the impression it would be some endless gardening fetch quest... They literally are on your way.

And the encounters in that area are pretty neat... I'll shut up now.

Nydius

thats the only time they do that. probably because it was the first puzzle in the game. the rest of the game, especially the optional puzzles are not like this.

In my game, NPCs would barely give me 60 seconds of looking around before they started giving me hints. In both main missions and Favors/side-quest missions. It was like this throughout the entire game and it did become grating after a while because the game continually acted like I was stupid and kept interrupting my exploration.

I'll give one end game example because it's the freshest example in my mind:
In Niflheim, when you return and there's a new path to the Asgardian Prison Ruins, within 30 seconds of running by the chain that raised/lowered one of the spear platforms, Freya kept repeating "I wonder what this chain does."/"Kratos, I found something."/"Maybe this chain does something." Well no shit the chain does something, let me explore in peace and stop hounding me like I'm an idiot.

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned
As soon as I saw that section I new the pace police would be over it. Hiw dare devs have a whine moment in their games. I love that section because how beautiful it is angrboda has beatiful powers. Love it. Again I wasn't in a rush to progress. If I could I would forget everything and start the game again

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I just finished the main story and I really enjoyed my time with it more than previous game but I don’t share the opinion of this being “greatest video game ever made” or “GOTY”.

rsouzadk

Finished the story today.

Definitely not the best GoW i've played. The combat seems like a downgrade from the 2018 game, even with new weapons, chars etc. Boss battles are almost all forgetable (some exceptions ofc), like, kratos is moaning and apologizing all the time, it seems so off.

Some levels with
atreus
are fucking ridiculous.

It is not a bad game by any means. For me it is just a low entry to the franchise, ultimately beacuse the pure master class GoW 2018 game was.

Last edited:

icerock

Credits rolled at 62 hours for me, on highest difficulty and... what an experience. It'll take me some time to sit and digest. They did an absolutely phenomenal job when it comes to character progression for Kratos, it felt so organic and natural due to his ever-developing relationship with his son. Ending felt so poignant yet so powerful. It wraps up the arc for Kratos so nicely, now a God of Peace, after fighting for vengeance all his life. Writing for other characters was also a lot stronger in this game, recurring characters were more fleshed out and there were plenty twist and turns which changed your perspective on them.

The game is absolutely massive and it is easy to get lost into it, but I'd highly recommend folks finish last 4-5 main quests in a row. It was just relentless and how it should be experienced imo.

My main gripe with this game is tied to combat, I have never been into hard games. Only From game I've ever beaten is Demons Souls, and I only did it because of eye-candy. But, 2018 changed my outlook on hard games a lot. I completed 3 full playthroughs on that, and 4th one was at mid-way point. Only reason I ever did a 2nd playthrough was because the combat felt so satisfying. I got better at the game more I played, it was rewarding. This all fell apart in this one and it was such a disappointment, the game wasn't rewarding you as you got better. I just don't know why but it just doesn't feel as responsive and smooth as 2018. Be it camera tracking which is worse than its predecessor, the wonky hitbox or just uneven input time. I actually went back to play 2018 to confirm if I was tripping and it felt a lot more consistent than this one. I was so excited, when they revealed the combat is going to be more fast-paced in this game. Verticality just added to it, but at the same time, they never told us that Kratos would move just as slow as in 2018 (in fact slower, as I don't have the attachment to increase his max sprinting speed), and worse he would deal same damage as last one. Meanwhile, enemies would be a lot more aggro and move in clusters. Only way to speed things up is with charging up weapons (meaning building up immolation/freeze etc.) but then you are severely limiting the build. I didn't go for a rage/healthstone build, nor realm shift shenanigans and it was a struggle. Certain mob sections were way harder than the bosses, mainly because camera setup isn't fit to deal with the mob with main protagonist being so slow. What makes it even worse is...

Parry indicators, which are broken. There are so many instances, when the game engine confuses itself and doesn't flash parry indicators for you to react. This is extremely common when you are fighting multiple enemies and as a result you take up a hit or 2 (which on GMGOW is death). Frustration doesn't even begin to cover it, I had my struggles in 2018 early on but it was a breeze once I understood the mechanics, meanwhile in Ragnarok, I am still prone to deaths in many encounters mainly because game is letting me down. When enemies are that aggro, as a player you have to rely on indicators with camera being so close. These random lapses of indicators are by far the biggest reason why combat is a step down from its predecessor.

I preferred the story, characters and overall presentation of this one. But, it falls short of a perfect 10/10 due to combat. I really hope they fix it by the time NG+ launches.

GhostOfTsu

Banned
As soon as I saw that section I new the pace police would be over it. Hiw dare devs have a whine moment in their games. I love that section because how beautiful it is angrboda has beatiful powers. Love it. Again I wasn't in a rush to progress. If I could I would forget everything and start the game again
I'm there now but I stopped playing because I just bought a new Sony Bravia 120hz with VRR. I want to play this masterpiece with the best image quality possible 👌

It's gonna be a long week waiting for the delivery 🥺

GhostOfTsu

Banned
I like to comment from an informed perspective :messenger_smiling: You won't see me actively post in threads about stuff I don't play like PSVR.
Deep down we all know you prefer Sony games instead of whatever games you have to promote.

If you want to use your hypercritical eye the Pentiment OT is right there --->

Credits rolled at 62 hours for me, on highest difficulty and... what an experience. It'll take me some time to sit and digest. They did an absolutely phenomenal job when it comes to character progression for Kratos, it felt so organic and natural due to his ever-developing relationship with his son. Ending felt so poignant yet so powerful. It wraps up the arc for Kratos so nicely, now a God of Peace, after fighting for vengeance all his life. Writing for other characters was also a lot stronger in this game, recurring characters were more fleshed out and there were plenty twist and turns which changed your perspective on them.

The game is absolutely massive and it is easy to get lost into it, but I'd highly recommend folks finish last 4-5 main quests in a row. It was just relentless and how it should be experienced imo.

My main gripe with this game is tied to combat, I have never been into hard games. Only From game I've ever beaten is Demons Souls, and I only did it because of eye-candy. But, 2018 changed my outlook on hard games a lot. I completed 3 full playthroughs on that, and 4th one was at mid-way point. Only reason I ever did a 2nd playthrough was because the combat felt so satisfying. I got better at the game more I played, it was rewarding. This all fell apart in this one and it was such a disappointment, the game wasn't rewarding you as you got better. I just don't know why but it just doesn't feel as responsive and smooth as 2018. Be it camera tracking which is worse than its predecessor, the wonky hitbox or just uneven input time. I actually went back to play 2018 to confirm if I was tripping and it felt a lot more consistent than this one. I was so excited, when they revealed the combat is going to be more fast-paced in this game. Verticality just added to it, but at the same time, they never told us that Kratos would move just as slow as in 2018 (in fact slower, as I don't have the attachment to increase his max sprinting speed), and worse he would deal same damage as last one. Meanwhile, enemies would be a lot more aggro and move in clusters. Only way to speed things up is with charging up weapons (meaning building up immolation/freeze etc.) but then you are severely limiting the build. I didn't go for a rage/healthstone build, nor realm shift shenanigans and it was a struggle. Certain mob sections were way harder than the bosses, mainly because camera setup isn't fit to deal with the mob with main protagonist being so slow. What makes it even worse is...

Parry indicators, which are broken. There are so many instances, when the game engine confuses itself and doesn't flash parry indicators for you to react. This is extremely common when you are fighting multiple enemies and as a result you take up a hit or 2 (which on GMGOW is death). Frustration doesn't even begin to cover it, I had my struggles in 2018 early on but it was a breeze once I understood the mechanics, meanwhile in Ragnarok, I am still prone to deaths in many encounters mainly because game is letting me down. When enemies are that aggro, as a player you have to rely on indicators with camera being so close. These random lapses of indicators are by far the biggest reason why combat is a step down from its predecessor.

I preferred the story, characters and overall presentation of this one. But, it falls short of a perfect 10/10 due to combat. I really hope they fix it by the time NG+ launches.

Can you tell me how far I am to the last 4-5 missions in a row that you suggest playing non-stop?

I just opened up Vanaheim's side missions in the plains, etc. after beating Heimdall. I am currently trying to wrap as many of those side quests as I can before going back to the main story

icerock

Can you tell me how far I am to the last 4-5 missions in a row that you suggest playing non-stop?

I just opened up Vanaheim's side missions in the plains, etc. after beating Heimdall. I am currently trying to wrap as many of those side quests as I can before going back to the main story
Game really picks up from the point where you've beaten him, highly recommend you do main quests to finish the story first. But, if you are keen you can explore right now. However, once you begin the current main quest i.e. Unlocking the Mask I'd recommend you see through the ending.

So...i just did the entire Garm segment in Helheim.

Holy shit! This will go down as one of the best boss fights in the franchise. Sony was like "how much money you need for all that?" and Sony Santa Monica was like "yes" and they really did that :messenger_tears_of_joy:

There's games you feel they try to cut short some stuff due to budget cuts but my god, this fucking game is the opposite, lmao.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Been absolutely loving this game so far and then I finally reached one of the sections I've heard people complaining about, and I have to say I concur with it.

This one Atreus section has dragged on for more than 45 minutes, and I've heard some people say there are several of them in this game.

I was blazing along completely sucked into this game and then it comes to a screeching halt. I can appreciate story, but man they should've found a better way to implement it so it doesn't stall the pacing.

Shubh_C63

Dear God that Ironwood part, I see now what everyone kept saying.

They either over expected the beauty or immersion of that part, and the story bit that came with it.
Or it was a pretty daft way to force people to spend time with these characters they wanna shoot expansions for.

Either way. What a waste of my free Saturday. I hope that story bit comes back at the end to give some meaning to that insanely boring part.

SlimySnake

I appreciate the changes made to enhance the core moveset by removing moves previously tied to runic attacks into the main weapon attacks, but i have to agree. There is just too much going on and it doesnt feel rewarding or satisfying taking on mobs of enemies. 1v1 boss battles are so much better thanks to the new enhanced moveset.

I made the mistake of taking on a beserker fight with three beserkers and after 2 hours, the amount of expletives that came out of my mouth wouldve gotten me canceled on era, twitter and reddit. maybe even gaf. I was just so frustrated, nothing worked. They were green bars too so below my light level. the game simply falls apart as soon as you introduce multiple enemies and thats a shame because with some minor tweaks you suggested like reducing the damage done by bosses and pulling the camera back a bit more wouldve made things so much better. Id say remove enemies with range attacks, fix the issues with parrying and increase iframes for dodging. they have extended dodge tied to an amulet which itself is tied to some defense or vitality stat.

By the end of the game i was basically spamming runic attacks thanks to the armor piece that has the chance to recharge your runic attack by 75% and while thats fun, it's not what they had intended given how they spent the first 15-20 hours literally keeping heavy runic attacks from the player.

The game is absolutely fantastic and a true masterpiece in level design, storytelling, and action setpieces either way. Just needs some tweaking though i suspect we may never get it.

Rea

Beat the story with GMGOW with a handful of side quests done, 40+hrs of gametime. Man, what a let down for a combat system, its a downgrade from the 2018. Like one of the poster above is saying, the game has many broken mechanics in trash enemies encounter, main bosses are much more easier and they all have hyper armors and there's tons of them in such a tiny space. And fucking kratos move like Snail. WORST part is that when you don't have a partner and there's many sections which you can't have partner. Don't waste your time on GOW difficultly, just enjoy the game on lower difficulties. Otherwise, this game is 10/10 for me.

anothertech

They really fine tuned the builds and armor in this game. In the hardest difficulty I'm finding certain relics and runes mesh incredibly with certain armor sets. Much more so than in 2018. Combat suddenly becomes incredible with some combos.

Can't wait to see what comes with ng+ this time.

Rea

They really fine tuned the builds and armor in this game. In the hardest difficulty I'm finding certain relics and runes mesh incredibly with certain armor sets. Much more so than in 2018. Combat suddenly becomes incredible with some combos.

Can't wait to see what comes with ng+ this time.
Can you share what's your build? I would like to try.

Everybody:

Jm9Tu0a.jpg

Me:

snUK1m0.png

The OG still holds up pretty well, actually, it feels rather like a modern game.
I desperately want them to re-release the Greek Saga on PS5. I don't need any graphical updates (though higher resolution and 60 FPS standard would be nice), but I know they won't. I genuinely think modern Sony is ashamed of the old God of War games.

Top Bottom