• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Ragnarök G|OT|Y

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
So, I beat 3 berserkers and they weren’t that bad, but this fourth one… killed me with 1 punch from a full health bar, what in the flying fuck?

I mean, I have tried doing a no hit but the fucker(s) always manage to land 1 punch.
Is his health bar coloured red? If his then very under level for the fight.

MastAndo

Gold Member
What armor set are you guys rolling with midgame-ish? Lunda's seems to be the best I've found so far, but it's not really how I want to play focusing on bare fisting melee and all.

Vick

So, I beat 3 berserkers and they weren’t that bad, but this fourth one… killed me with 1 punch from a full health bar, what in the flying fuck?

I mean, I have tried doing a no hit but the fucker(s) always manage to land 1 punch.
Yeah, it was red, I guess I’ll come back later then.

Thank you for the heads up.
Is this the one in Niflheim?
If yes it's because it covers you with Bifröst. Really challenging one.

What armor set are you guys rolling with midgame-ish? Lunda's seems to be the best I've found so far, but it's not really how I want to play focusing on bare fisting melee and all.
Lunda until you can upgrade to L7 the Survival, which is the best (and better looking imo) and what I'm using in endgame.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Watch a Norse mythology expert react to the God of War Ragnarok ending. We asked Jackson Crawford, a Norse myth expert and media consultant for projects like Assassin's Creed Valhalla, to analyse God of War Ragnarök's ending.

From character deaths, to all the key figures featured in the events of Ragnarok, Jackson uses his Norse mythology expertise to break down what works and what doesn't in the final few God of War Ragnarok scenes.

Last edited:

Vick

I'm afraid Platinum is going to take longer than expected..

gtfo-sopranos.gif

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I'm afraid Platinum is going to take longer than expected..

gtfo-sopranos.gif

lol this bitch killed me in one hit after a revive after i had just killed the king beserker without using the revive stone. This after 400 defense.

farmerboy

Quick question;
PS5 performance mode and I'm getting some pop in. Not texture, seems like the entire graphic is missing then pops in. On console storage. Has anyone else experienced this? Or heard about it?

SlimySnake

Some quick tips on beserkers. Save them for late game. They are needed to hit level 9 but level 8 is enough for so the beserkers.

Key is to keep strength and defense as high as possible. 400 for both. Otherwise, you wont be doing much damage. Difference between 300 and 400 is massive. Fuck vitality and runic.

Get these three enchantments.
Stone of souls - heals after consuming a health or range stone hitting an enemy
Chest of heroics - makes you survive death blows and heals you back up.

There are a couple of bs beserker fights with multiple beserkers and they sucks. You need as much defense as you can get. Runic is good but don’t build or build around it. Get the musphrkheim armor set that reduces incoming damage.

Use the shield that lets you charge.

Quick question;
PS5 performance mode and I'm getting some pop in. Not texture, seems like the entire graphic is missing then pops in. On console storage. Has anyone else experienced this? Or heard about it?
Only time I noticed this was when I was realmhopping quite a few times in a short amount of time and sprinting as soon as I could once I arrived.

Cyborg

How much is left for me?
I saved Freya's brother and also saved that dude that jumped out of the boat. I'm now fighting the dragons (got 2 down) in the same realm but that are side missions

zkorejo

Ended the story. Did all the side quests I could find. Collecting favors isn't really my cup of tea. Will maybe go back for berserker and to find the new Valkyrie Queen.

Alot happened but I'm very happy with how it ended. Ragnarok was everything I wanted it to be and then some. An epic adventure with masterful storytelling. One of my most favorite gaming experiences.

You can still find the real Tyr
How? Where?

GymWolf

Fought the first 2 berserker and thought they were way easier than people was saying, then i tried the thunder one...

The new
weapon is a lot of fun but i'm a bit disappointed that we don't get thor hammer, i guess the axe is already conceptually too similar

Can someone tell me if there is an object for bullet time that is not an armour and where to find it (not if it is too spoilery)

Last edited:

Ragnarok doing the numbers in France it seems.

Even in countries where PS5 is still hard to get, it is the best selling sku anyway.

Crossgen period is most likely over at least for single player experiences.

Ragnarok doing the numbers in France it seems.

Even in countries where PS5 is still hard to get, it is the best selling sku anyway.

Crossgen period is most likely over at least for single player experiences.

I guess that means the marketing is working for it. I remember some people constantly complaining on how they didn't market this one enough.

zkorejo

Fought the first 2 berserker and thought they were way easier than people was saying, then i tried the thunder one...

The new
weapon is a lot of fun but i'm a bit disappointed that we don't get thor hammer, i guess the axe is already conceptually too similar

Can someone tell me if there is an object for bullet time that is not an armour and where to find it (not if it is too spoilery)
Yes there's a runic you get after killing Heimdall. But even upgraded at 3 it's like 3-5 seconds.

Shubh_C63

Yeeah I am not feeling this game's combat. Its really good if only Kratos could take more than 4 hits.

The enemies just hits way too hard. You either start your encounters flawlessly stunning few mob and reduce their number early on or you just play extremely defensive and die anyway.

Ulysses 31

Yeeah I am not feeling this game's combat. Its really good if only Kratos could take more than 4 hits.

The enemies just hits way too hard. You either start your encounters flawlessly stunning few mob and reduce their number early on or you just play extremely defensive and die anyway.
Dunno how it was on the pre-PS4 GOWs but the same Kratos death animation for 99% of the fights isn't doing the game any favors either.

Play on an easier mode or learn to dodge and block (maybe pick weapons and armors that suit your more defensive play style).

Also, there is a difficulty spike in the first hour of the game.

zkorejo

Umh...the armour grant you 1,45 sec if i remember well, so 3-5 seems like an error...it is way to much.
Could be less. But definitely more than 1.45 seconds I'm sure. I have been using it since getting. Gets you atleast 5 guaranteed hits before it ends. Assuming you're close to target.

Edit:

Steinbjorn armor not only looks beautiful but it also comes in handy with health regeneration. Everyone should find it and give it a try. Kratos looks like a proper bad ass in it.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Do you guys use the default interact/evade buttons or do you switch them? I'm using the defaults so far (only just started playing the game yesterday), because I think there has to be a reason the devs decided it should be like that and not how it is it 99% of all other games. But it does feel backwards.

SlimySnake

Alright time to review the game. No spoilers. Though discussing my thoughts without spoilers might be a bit challenging. Still after those multi beserker fights, I think I can do anything.

4 years ago, I played GOW and was convinced it was going to be the best game of the year then RDR2 came out and annoyed me to death with its controls, slow pacing, and ridiculous design decisions. And yet by the end of it all, the game had won me over and I think the same thing has happened here. My issues with the game simply did not factor into my enjoyment. I love this game.

Graphics:

Stunning at times. Underwhelming to the point of looking like a third party UE4 title other times. Vanaheim during the day has this really bad brownish UE4 quality lighting that Horizon fixed in 2017. That said, when the game wants to show off its cinematic flair, the visuals dont hold it back. Some truly awe-inspiring sertpieces, one shot takes, and locations in this game.

Level Design:
To me the crater is the best level in the game, and a true evolution of the hub world introduced in GOW 2018. Not just islands with nothing going on, it's a fully living and breathing valley with a day night cycle that changes the enemies that spawn. The rest of the game might feel more of the same, and a bit DLC'ish especially in the Dwarf islands, but there is the evolution here that I wanted from a sequel. The game is also fully of incredible setpieces, awe-inspiring boss fights, and enemy variety missing from the first game that take it far far above DLC category. It's a true sequel like GOW2 was back in the day.

Combat:
I have a love/hate relationship with it, but mostly love. Sometimes it feels too chaotic. But most of times, It feels sublime. Sometimes Im like this is Ascension and HFW all over again, needless tinkering with perfection and then boom, i get in a groove mid fight and squeeze out a win like I'm John fucking Wick. It's brilliant. Tip to everyone: just focus on maxing out strength and defense. You want to do most of your damage with your basic attacks. You can kill most mobs in three hits at 400 Strength. Fuck Runic, Luck, Vitality, and Cooldown stats.

Story:
I personally didnt have many issues with the millennial writing here, but I do understand the concerns. I saw in the end credits that the game was written by 7 people up from just three last game, and I think thats why it feels a bit inconsistent. Without going into much detail, I will say it surprised me which is a good thing because stories no longer do that to me since ive seen everything, but then kinda left me wanting more which is not what you want from a finale for a game that was 4.5 years in development.

Conclusion:

Like with RDR2, I have a lot of issues with the game that I chose not to mention here because ultimately they are artistic choices I disagree with. It's why I didnt have an issue with what Neil did to Joel in TLOU2. It's his character. He can do with him as he pleases. I will go into those issues in the spoiler thread, but this masterpiece of level design, enemy design, combat design, and boss fights is something that all Sony first party studios ought to follow. And I dont call it a masterpiece lightly. I piss off my friends when I give HFW, Ratchet and Miles a 7 out of 10, but this is what I save my 9s and 9.5s for. A game that is truly light years ahead of HFW, Ratchet and all the other nonsense being handed out 9s and 10s recently.

mxbison

People who said it's 40 hours for 100% must have rushed through like crazy and maybe even skip dialogue lol.

I'm 40 hours in. Haven't finished the story, haven't finished the trials, barely started the "new valykries", still stuff to collect in all realms, and just found a huge new sidequest area....

GymWolf

Could be less. But definitely more than 1.45 seconds I'm sure. I have been using it since getting. Gets you atleast 5 guaranteed hits before it ends. Assuming you're close to target.

Edit:

Steinbjorn armor not only looks beautiful but it also comes in handy with health regeneration. Everyone should find it and give it a try. Kratos looks like a proper bad ass in it.
Thanks.

GymWolf

People who said it's 40 hours for 100% must have rushed through like crazy and maybe even skip dialogue lol.

I'm 40 hours in. Haven't finished the story, haven't finished the trials, barely started the "new valykries", still stuff to collect in all realms, and just found a huge new sidequest area....
I'm almost 50 in and far from finishing.

Normal mode or ignoring sidecontent is my guess.

SlimySnake

On normal, it might be doable in 40 hours. I died a lot to mini bosses like the beserkers and dragurs. Must have lost 15-20 hours to them alone.

I am now 60 hours in with one boss left and some small collectibles to find. Maybe 2-3 hours left. Of course, Sigrun took me 6 hours so who knows how long this one would take.

How long to beat shows 48 hours completionist and 34 hours main story and side quests. So people playing on easy rushing through the game can definitely do it in 40 hours. I just like to take my time with games that come once every few years.

Certinty

That long ass boring fifth or so main quest has literally put me off this game. Want to try and get back into it but I’m struggling massively. No idea how they dragged a 30 minute section into a 90-120 minute one.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter

I finished the game at like 40 hours, did all the major story based side quests but not all the collect em up stuff or the berserkers.

SlimySnake

That long ass boring fifth or so main quest has literally put me off this game. Want to try and get back into it but I’m struggling massively. No idea how they dragged a 30 minute section into a 90-120 minute one.
Game gets much better after that. Even those sections get better. Mentally prepare yourself for at least 3 more of those but they are far shorter around 30 minutes, far more interesting story wise, and far more fun combat wise.

Dafegamer

This is the most fun I've had with a game in a long time.

30 hours in now (and seems like plenty to go) and I think it's surpassed Elden Ring for me.

Really don't understand the complaints but as always opinions are different. There does seems to be a special level of nitpicking that is reserved for big exclusives though.
The complaints are severely overblown, like mind-bogglingly :/. You would think from those complaints that the game is like 90% walking, but it's balanced af. Some of the best world design of this generation, artistically and gameplay-wise. I'm constantly surprised about how big the game actually is, it keeps opening up, showing me new things to discover. Sense of adventure is sublime 👏

K' Dash

The complaints are severely overblown, like mind-bogglingly :/. You would think from those complaints that the game is like 90% walking, but it's balanced af. Some of the best world design of this generation, artistically and gameplay-wise. I'm constantly surprised about how big the game actually is, it keeps opening up, showing me new things to discover. Sense of adventure is sublime 👏

I'm liking it a lot, but let's not get crazy... sense of adventure on a linear game with a couple short branching paths for most of the levels? nah man... I think people heralding this game as some gaming achievement need to play some more games.

I'd say they're Uncharting/Naughty Dogging the game, sure, it looks amazing but the combat was better in 2018, the writing and pacing were also better, and of course the pacing.

Another thing I don't like is the collectathon, what the hell were they thinking, also that UI, who the fuck approved that atrocious thing? were they missing a UX designer? nobody talked about it when showing it, testing it?

That's not to say it is a bad game, not at all, it is great, just not as good as I was expecting, some of the things they did leave me scratching my head.

Beat the game last night. Absolute masterpiece. Probably the most impressed I've been with a game since Uncharted 2.

Pros:
  • Gameplay is absolutely sublime - vicious combat that when it clicks makes you feel incredible
  • Insane amounts of production values - set pieces, enemy encounters, bosses, side content.
  • Visuals on PS5 are top notch - Cross Gen be damned, this is the most impressive game on the market. Rock solid 60 fps, near 4K native, extremely rich texture detail, the best animation in the business. But the most important thing is the stunning artistic direction. Horizon FW is more technically impressive, but it does not have the artistic direction that is as strong as this, resulting in areas that don't feel as visually striking. I believe that the graphics on GOWR are highly underrated.
  • Really enjoyed getting to know the adversaries (Thor, Odin, Thrud etc) throughout the game. Felt the story overall really hit the highlights they were aiming to achieve with some surprising twists along the way

Cons:
  • Some inconsistent, meandering writing at times
  • Ending boss battles could have been a bit grander
  • Would have liked a return of the "Palace/Dungeon/Temple" type areas of the original God of War games with more intricate puzzles that don't rely on wonky mechanics like Sigil arrows.
  • Minor pacing issues early game but are quickly forgotten about as the game progresses
  • Combat has some minor issues to it that cause a lot of frustration. Could be better resolved with minor tweaks. Many deaths to the game's toughest fights are caused by game jank/animation or lack of i-frames

Where I'd like the series to go in the future:
  • I think they can achieve Open World similar to Elden Ring. Open World Area --> Wide Linear Hub --> Intricate Linear Dungeons
  • Egyptian mythology would be really cool to see, with a focus on Sci-Fi/UFO type beings

GOTY? Yes, GOTY.

Last edited:

Kurotri

Dunno how it was on the pre-PS4 GOWs but the same Kratos death animation for 99% of the fights isn't doing the game any favors either.
Lmao I just realized this, every time he dies he just lays on the ground as if he decided to sleep because he's too old for this shit:messenger_grinning_smiling:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Finally beat King Hrolf Kraki and his much more reasonable and fun fight compare to the Berserker with two sisters. This game’s camera is not made to fight multiple bosses at once. It’s not fun getting hit by projectiles off screen.

skit_data

I just platinumed GoW Ragnarök!

Incredible game, truly a masterpiece. The fight against Gná was damn hard and it was the last trophy I got.

Edit: Hopefully we’ll get a New Game+ patch soon, preferrably with it’s own trophy list!

Last edited:
I'm a little over half way through and the combat is top-notch but I totally agree with people saying it feels like an Uncharted game and I really don't like that presentation for this series.
I like it a lot overall but the constant "buddy" and puzzles that are just like constantly shoehorned in really drag the pace down. I'm still invested in the story though and looking forward to where that goes.

Vroadstar

30 hours in and i can say this is indeed worthy GOTY candidate. Not sure how long i still need to play but definitely going to replay if ever SSM patched in new game+ and to enjoy photomode.

The game is so much better than 2018 its not even close. The jump in enemy variety alone makes Ragnarok superior compared to 2018 and combat is even is more enjoyable specially after you cleared a tough level with enemies you are not familiar with, many mid boss battles you don't expect and more.

Whether GoWR or Elden Ring wins GOtY, it doesn't matter.because one thing is certain, I feasted on both GOTY level games and I don't need to wait for "next year"

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I just started playing a few days ago, and I've just gotta ask: What the HELL is up with the "compass" in this game?! It's behaving like a neurotic bee, with markers jumping all over the place. I guess it's actually trying to guide you through waypoints leading to the location rather than the actual direction of the place? That's NOT how a compass works, but even if that's the case I find it almost impossible to actually follow it anywhere.

Dutchy

I replayed GoW 2018 for the first time in 3 years to see if it held up the way I thought it did. There's no doubt that Ragnarok is a top 3 game released in the past couple years. But 2018 still feels like a near flawless masterpiece for me. Played it on PC for the first time and even after my 4th playthrough I can't help but feel like I enjoy it more than Ragnarok.

I find it difficult to put my finger on the exact reason. 2018 felt like a more personal story with more intimate animation and cinematography. Better pacing and written characters too imo.

With Ragnarok it's like they tried to expand on everything that 2018 had - but only on the surface level and not in terms of actual quality.

Top Bottom