• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War PC port to be done by Jetpack Interactive, Ragnarok also listed on Jetpack employee's profile

BigBooper

It would make sense to work on the port while they are very familiar with the tools, even if the port was then held back for a couple of years until it’s released. This doesn't mean a quicker pc release.

I was saying this since a while now. Let naive people think it will be just for "muh old games muh", Hermen Hulst will soon be porting more PS games in PC than even Xbox ever did.

It's not Hulst's decision, it's Jim Ryan's. And, likely, other top people at PlayStation who approve of these decisions. I agree though that people thinking PS5 games aren't getting ported to PC this gen are deluding themselves of an inevitability. It's just a question of which games get ported, and when (as in, how soon/late after the PS5 release).

IMO Sony can't do the ports too soon or else they'll train a decent flock of players to just wait for the PC version, especially if they know it's coming in, say, six months or a year later. They'll want to still retain enough big 1P content on PlayStation for as long as possible in order to drive hardware sales and, in return, software sales, especially now that PS5 (at least, the disc version) is profitable for them.

I still think Sony's strategy is (or should be) to get legacy PS4 titles to PC steadily, and for MP/F2P/GaaS 1P games to come day-and-date between PS5 and PC. I honestly think TLOU: Factions is going to be one of those very games to do so. However, for the marquee 1P content like Spider-Man, God of War, TLOU, Uncharted etc., IMO it's best to keep those as 2-year/3-year releases staggered between PS5 and PC. The smaller 1P games or most 3P co-funded exclusives, though, perhaps give those shorter intervals between PS5 and PC, and for very specific ones (the simpler ones), only those should be entertained as day-and-date between PS5 and PC.

So for example, again your GoW, TLOU, Spider-Man/Wolverines etc., keep those as 2-year/3-year PS5 exclusives and then bring them to PC. Games like TLOU: Factions, or that upcoming FireSprite game? Make those PS5/PC Day-and-Date since they are largely MP-centric, possibly F2P and GaaS, where most of the money's going to be made on MTX anyway, and the community is going to feel more invested in buying that if they feel like they have opportunity for skill parity across platforms (which you can only ensure with day-and-date between PS5 and PC).

For the much smaller 1P games like, let's say, they ever decide to make a new Parappa/UmJammer (please do this!), or a 3P co-funded indie exclusive that isn't particularly technically intensive (meaning you can get away with doing simultaneous multi-system optimizations at once), I don't see why you couldn't put those on PS5 & PC day-and-date. Games like those aren't really marquee titles/main draws, they're going to be more niche anyway so why not give them the biggest possible audience to find a fanbase with?

TBH I wish this was a model Microsoft had considered themselves for their 1P, but they decided on what they wanted and are pretty much expected to stick with it now. Sony still has time to consider how they want to fully approach this which is why I'm even entertaining these options; they could do something like this and satisfy pretty much all parties.

If they didn't see the value in having strong first-party titles to drive hardware sales and in so doing uplift their entire digital ecosystem these games wouldn't exist in the first place!

A one year holdover for third-party content is acceptable because its a shared risk. Lowering the threshold for first-party to the same or less basically surrenders all advantage from self-developing.

It needs to be understood that release cadence is everything. If the flow of product falters, market/mindshare drops and marketing needs to be stepped up to recover it. Release timescales are beholden to development cycles, and first-party dev is dependent upon production capacity. Its a long chain of logistical dependency that needs to be managed, because although it is possible to look "outside" to plug gaps, its expensive and risky because its less controllable.

For this reason PC rollout needs to follow a similar cadence to that on Playstation itself. The gap (or offset if you will) needs to be maintained in order to prevent one or both from running out of road.

I agree with this sentiment, was just taking a slight issue with the idea that the revenue-per-unit is lower on PC than it is on PlayStation platforms. I think (and data proves this) sales volume (copies sold) is magnitudes higher on PlayStation than PC, but I don't think the revenue differences are so much that it's minuscule on PC. It might be half what it is on PlayStation, but there's also the fact not every single copy on console sells for full MSRP.

Last edited:

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Gotta wonder what Nixxes is doing then. Maybe finishing up projects for SE that they started before the acquisition? FF7R?

yurinka

quoted for posterity
You can also can quote me saying that basically all the big multiplatform AAA games or publishers who release their games day one on console and PC and revealed their revenue or sales plaform split had PS as their main platform.

So releasing their games on PC faster, or even day one, would increase their PC revenue but still would continue being a minority of the revenue that these Sony games generated compared to their revenue on PS. And releasing all their games on PC and to do it day one would negatively affect PS5 hardware so PSN revenue, something they want. So they may continue testing different time distance between PS and PC releases specially for non GaaS games but they will keep it safe to ensure PSN and PS5 continue having a healthy growth.

Gotta wonder what Nixxes is doing then. Maybe finishing up projects for SE that they started before the acquisition? FF7R?
FF7R isn't a Sony game and I don't think Sony will buy SE.

I think they are working on the PC ports of Spider-Man, TLOUR and TLOU2. Plus maybe Uncharted Nathan Drake's Collection and Bloodborne.

Last edited:

SSfox

It's not Hulst's decision, it's Jim Ryan's. And, likely, other top people at PlayStation who approve of these decisions. I agree though that people thinking PS5 games aren't getting ported to PC this gen are deluding themselves of an inevitability. It's just a question of which games get ported, and when (as in, how soon/late after the PS5 release).

IMO Sony can't do the ports too soon or else they'll train a decent flock of players to just wait for the PC version, especially if they know it's coming in, say, six months or a year later. They'll want to still retain enough big 1P content on PlayStation for as long as possible in order to drive hardware sales and, in return, software sales, especially now that PS5 (at least, the disc version) is profitable for them.

I still think Sony's strategy is (or should be) to get legacy PS4 titles to PC steadily, and for MP/F2P/GaaS 1P games to come day-and-date between PS5 and PC. I honestly think TLOU: Factions is going to be one of those very games to do so. However, for the marquee 1P content like Spider-Man, God of War, TLOU, Uncharted etc., IMO it's best to keep those as 2-year/3-year releases staggered between PS5 and PC. The smaller 1P games or most 3P co-funded exclusives, though, perhaps give those shorter intervals between PS5 and PC, and for very specific ones (the simpler ones), only those should be entertained as day-and-date between PS5 and PC.

So for example, again your GoW, TLOU, Spider-Man/Wolverines etc., keep those as 2-year/3-year PS5 exclusives and then bring them to PC. Games like TLOU: Factions, or that upcoming FireSprite game? Make those PS5/PC Day-and-Date since they are largely MP-centric, possibly F2P and GaaS, where most of the money's going to be made on MTX anyway, and the community is going to feel more invested in buying that if they feel like they have opportunity for skill parity across platforms (which you can only ensure with day-and-date between PS5 and PC).

For the much smaller 1P games like, let's say, they ever decide to make a new Parappa/UmJammer (please do this!), or a 3P co-funded indie exclusive that isn't particularly technically intensive (meaning you can get away with doing simultaneous multi-system optimizations at once), I don't see why you couldn't put those on PS5 & PC day-and-date. Games like those aren't really marquee titles/main draws, they're going to be more niche anyway so why not give them the biggest possible audience to find a fanbase with?

TBH I wish this was a model Microsoft had considered themselves for their 1P, but they decided on what they wanted and are pretty much expected to stick with it now. Sony still has time to consider how they want to fully approach this which is why I'm even entertaining these options; they could do something like this and satisfy pretty much all parties.

Yeah it's inevitable at this. Hopefully they know what they're doing, and the the good thing in this whole thing is that PC ports are not done by SWW, so those can only and exclusively focus on making the games on the Playstation console.

Lots of studios that historically do PC ports doing projects for Sony is a great thing. More people can play all these games, and people can play these games at higher settings if the have the hardware to do so. I hope it proves profitable and they start doing day-one releases like Xbox does now. Maybe they can even try to do a "Play Anywhere" type of release in the future as well so people with both PS5 and PC can switch between the two on the fly.

Holammer

I think Ragnarok on PC will release side by side with the PS4 and PS5. Why? Because adverting is FUCKING expensive and PC players like everyone else can and will be excited by the hype machine.
It also helps the game reach what could be described a cultural critical mass, driving sales even further as the news cycle starts talking about its success and it starts to meme.

w5nfbgq22a2z.jpg

Banned
everything starts to point towards the fact that Sony plans to release their games on PC close to their console releases.

that leaked Nvidia list also has more and more titles that came true... on that list was also GranTurismo 7 btw. so I totally expect to also see that one come to PC pretty close to its console launch

yurinka

It's not Hulst's decision, it's Jim Ryan's. And, likely, other top people at PlayStation who approve of these decisions.
Shawn said the decision of porting old PS Studio games to PC was taken before Ryan and Hulst reached their current positions.

Hulst is the boss of PS Studios, so what they do with PS Studios games and how do they use the PS Studios resources is his decision.

He and Ryan (boss of SIE, so he also covers what goes beyond PS Studios games and studios) are ok with continue releasing PC ports of some (not all, I assume mostly the best sellers, the ones with a higher potential with PC sales) of their old (not day one or too soon) games. They want to make extra revenue and profit with these ports, but to focus on making games that will release day one in PS and somewhere in the future may or may not be released on PC. A few of them wil be GaaS and will be released faster on PC, maybe even day one.

everything starts to point towards the fact that Sony plans to release their games on PC close to their console releases.

that leaked Nvidia list also has more and more titles that came true... on that list was also GranTurismo 7 btw. so I totally expect to also see that one come to PC pretty close to its console launch
That list included games like a Monster Hunter PSP game with typos on its name or Scalebound. Some of its games may be real, but some of them are fake, or as Nvidia said, speculative. Sony said they plan to release old games on PC, not new ones. So it's more likely that their next games to be ported to PC would be TLOU, Spider-Man, Bloodborne and so on and to keep Returnal, GT 7, Sackboy and the other recent/upcoming games for way later, several years in the future.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I think Ragnarok on PC will release side by side with the PS4 and PS5. Why? Because adverting is FUCKING expensive and PC players like everyone else can and will be excited by the hype machine.
It also helps the game reach what could be described a cultural critical mass, driving sales even further as the news cycle starts talking about its success and it starts to meme.

w5nfbgq22a2z.jpg

Nah. Playstation release and the hype surrounding it will provide more than enough promotion for any subsequent PC release.

martino

Anyone thinking PlayStation ‘exclusives’ aren’t going to be coming to PC in pretty short order from now on is in severe denial.
Yeah and outside strangest need for other to not have access to content i don't see the fear....
I mean when you see how few people are tempted to jump platform on this board in a recent thread about it , it's a non issue if you consider even more mainstream audiences.

Banned
That list included games like a Monster Hunter PSP game with typos on its name or Scalebound. Some of its games may be real, but some of them are fake, or as Nvidia said, speculative. Sony said they plan to release old games on PC, now new ones. So it's more likely that their next games to be ported to PC would be TLOU, Spider-Man, Bloodborne and so on and to keep Returnal, GT 7, Sackboy and the other recent/upcoming games for way later, several years in the future.

Sony said no such thing. Also, while there were weird entries in that list, there was also Uncharted... which since was officially announced.
also some new games that since were announced.
GTA Remaster, which since was announced etc.

they bought a known PC porting studio...

Now we have a guy that works on the GoW port and weirdly enough has Ragnarök in his projects... 🤔

just saying, the coincidences start to stack up.

If I go to a store and buy canned tomatoes, cheese, flower, yeast and salt, it would only be logical for you to think I'm planning to make Pizza, even tho some ingredients are missing still, it all points towards that

Last edited:

TrackZ

I don’t care about any of that.

They’ve opened up Pandora’s box with changing their exclusivity strategy in 27 years so it’s up to them to figure out how to deal with it.

I as a consumer don’t like being dragged along and lied to. I expect them to be more up front about their PC plans and let us make our own choice on where to buy their games. Don’t try and fool me into thinking a game is exclusive when it’s not.

MS doesn’t go trough any of this nonsense since we know all their games are on PC day one.

Yes, forget the nonsense IMO, Sony. Just commit. Put out the roadmap. Get us to day and date. Be done with it already. No ambiguity.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
FF7R isn't a Sony game and I don't think Sony will buy SE.

I think they are working on the PC ports of Spider-Man, TLOUR and TLOU2. Plus maybe Uncharted Nathan Drake's Collection and Bloodborne.

Yea I know. Nixxes mostly worked with SE before on their PC ports.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Yeah and outside strangest need for other to not have access to content i don't see the fear....
I mean when you see how few people are tempted to jump platform on this board in a recent thread about it , it's a non issue if you consider even more mainstream audiences.

It's a pointless argument at this stage. Everything is coming to PC, because there's just too much money to be made.

yurinka

Sony said no such thing. Also, while there were weird entries in that list, there was also Uncharted... which since was officially announced.
also some new games that since were announced.
As I said, some of the titles of the list are real, while other are false. Hermen and Jimbo mentioned multiple times they will continue focusing their dev teams on making games for PS, that won't port all their games and that the ones ported will be released on PC a prudential time after their original release.

GTA Remaster, which since was announced etc.
GTA is a Rockstar/Take 2 game, not a Sony game.

they bought a known PC porting studio...
Yes, and Sony mentioned they bought them to handle the PC ports so the other teams can focus instead on making games for PS not worrying about the possible future PC ports.

Now we have a guy that works on the GoW port and weirdly enough has Ragnarök in his projects... 🤔
He may be simply added the extra PC features in the engine shared for both GoW games, so Ragnarok or other future GoW may use it if desired somewhere in th future. It doesn't mean Ragnarok will get a PC release or that will be released soon. In fact what he did for Ragnarok may not be released to PC at all and could be some stuff for the PS5 version, acting as another outsourcing support studios like the many ones hired by all AAA games.

I thought nixxes was supposed to handle those ports... Weird to outsource it to someone else.
Nixxes may be porting TLOU, TLOU2, Spider-Man, Uncharted Nathan Drake's Collection or Bloodborne.

Last edited:

Kacho

I thought nixxes was supposed to handle those ports... Weird to outsource it to someone else.
The transition will probably take a couple years. Sony has been planning these ports for a while and made moves to get the ball rolling before they copped Nixxes.

hyperbertha

Pretty sure sony is gradually inching towards same day release on pc. In fact I'm 100 percent sure. Which is why I bought a gaming pc this gen.

I think there's a 99.9% chance that Ragnarok comes out on PC within 2 years of the PS5 version, and a 50% chance that it comes a year later. Those people consoling themselves that it'll only be PS4 games that will get ported to PC this gen are deluding themselves. Once the PS4 library has been burned through 4-5 years from now, then same day PC ports may be possible, but not before then.

All this PC port talk got me thinking about @VFXVeteran . Is he still about? I haven't noticed him posting in a while. It seems that a lot of his predictions are coming true.
All the games that have been announced have been publicly rumored. No one is surprised. It‘s not some note worthy predication.

99.99% is basically a guarantee, 00.01 being almost impossible. Like the whole pc port team dying in a fire type of possibly. There is no pattern of shorten time PC releases. There’s still much Sony needs to figure out.

I say their multiplayer releases will be the best indicator of the direction they are moving. If Factions isnt a day-one PC release. That means their developers arent going to be co-developing for two platforms. If it a PC release doesnt release within a year. That means they dont have a external developer handling a PC port during development.

Which means they have the a long term goal of picking and choosing which titles to release on PC when they have been exhausted on their consoles. So I think a 3 year exclusivity is probably the schedule they are going to follow for most successful titles.

How Dreams isnt on the iPhone or PC is utterly mental.

martino

It's a pointless argument at this stage. Everything is coming to PC, because there's just too much money to be made.
i would say we are at a threshold point more than there is too much
Herman and Jim cannot be more honest when they say they are experiementing for now and depending how this go things can remain how they are, amplify or even revert back
it's why , in my case , i will not sell my ps5 soon. We need to wait how the current wave will perform to have a clear picture of how things will be done after that.

Last edited:

martino

Not sure where to post, lol.
This is interesting:

you can find multiple multiple quote in my history where i try to explain that dealing with relative steam number is a great way to not see what is happening
an example that clearly show the growth is concurrent user. this number is ~4x the number it was begin of last gen (and that is with "cryto speculation crap")

Last edited:

Akhawi

Banned
They are not crippling anything. It's almost like you live in an alternate reality where Playstation doesnt need console sales, retail, and digital sales for the division to profit so they can continue investing in some of the most expensive games?

They need hardware to sell, they want to sell you accessories, PS+ SUBS, PSVR. PC is an added bonus for getting extra revenue on games that are either popular or may get a second chance to find a audience. Like Days gone, Death Stranding.

Of course they are. PC losing out on their initial marketing campaigns for these games and Sony treating us PC gamers as second class citizens and making us wait years for their games is NOT good business tactics what so ever, and speaking from my own experience I just end up pirating all their games instead when they finally make their way to PC that I otherwise would have purchased on day one, because I'm not rewarding Sony with a single cent for making me wait so long.

Sony won't be able to convince us to waste money on a $500 console just to be able to play a small handful of their exclusives early either, and they DEFINITELY won't convince us to subscribe to PS+ and make us pay to play online. In fact none of their exclusives have any multiplayers worth subbing for anyways and PS+ is completely dependent on third party multiplats to survive at all in it's current state, and we'll just be able to play those third party titles on PC anyways.

PSVR is irrelevant because it is absolute garbage, literally one of the worst VR headsets on the market, and we have multiple other VR options on PC that just put PSVR to shame.

Day and date PC releases is happening eventually whether you like it or not. You'll see soon enough... ;)

Papacheeks

Banned
Of course they are. PC losing out on their initial marketing campaigns for these games and Sony treating us PC gamers as second class citizens and making us wait years for their games is NOT good business tactics what so ever, and speaking from my own experience I just end up pirating all their games instead when they finally make their way to PC that I otherwise would have purchased on day one, because I'm not rewarding Sony with a single cent for making me wait so long.

Sony won't be able to convince us to waste money on a $500 console just to be able to play a small handful of their exclusives early either, and they DEFINITELY won't convince us to subscribe to PS+ and make us pay to play online. In fact none of their exclusives have any multiplayers worth subbing for anyways and PS+ is completely dependent on third party multiplats to survive at all in it's current state, and we'll just be able to play those third party titles on PC anyways.

PSVR is irrelevant because it is absolute garbage, literally one of the worst VR headsets on the market, and we have multiple other VR options on PC that just put PSVR to shame.

Day and date PC releases is happening eventually whether you like it or not. You'll see soon enough... ;)
So you have a time machine and know PSVR2 will be shit? Thats what IM talking about. PSVR has sold what its going to sell. PSVR2 from the leaks is going to be on par with VIVE if not better and is a one cord setup.

You must also think Nintendo in their strat to sell consoles, accessories, software is irrelevant.

To ignore you go.

Neilg

It would make sense to work on the port while they are very familiar with the tools, even if the port was then held back for a couple of years until it’s released. This doesn't mean a quicker pc release.
There's also a good chance that because this guy specializes in backend tools, he was actually helping out on the PS-version of ragnarok over the last year, after his engineering work on the original god of war port was done.

Studios 'borrow' staff all the time for little projects. The teams that arent necessarily useful for the entire 3+years a game is in development get put on little contract projects so they can still bring in revenue.

MonarchJT

Banned
People still act surprised and make threads about every first party title headed towards PC. They all will at some point. Source: Sony. The company outlined its strategy some time ago, publicly. PS IPs will expand to PC and mobile, and that's a good thing.
Actually, relieved to hear that SSM is not wasting manpower on the porting process. Sony should acquire one or two North-American based studios such as Jetpack Interactive so that their own internal teams concentrate on what they do best.
it's because Sony hardcore fans won't accept what is happening and they want that first party titles remain confined to the console . that era ended this gen people should accept it Sony is following what Ms is doing (with their timing, and it will get at day one releases more slowly) but this will be 100% the last generation where there will be games confined to the console eco system.

Last edited:
I'd imagine that Ragnarok would happen at some point but it is worth remembering that they have been one of the support studios that Sony previously used on titles such as LittleBigPlanet when the founders and others were with United Front Games and I believe they even created the LittleBigPlanet Karting game on Vita.
It will surely happen at some point though although it won't necessarily be Jetpack Interactive and Santa Monica who create it. Well, I'm sure that Santa Monica will be involved irrelevant of whether it's Jetpack Interactive or not.
I wonder with them being trusted with God of War could lead to them being another acquisition at some point down the line? I know some of them supported development of The Master Chief Collection on PC so it's not as if PC work is new to them. It's possible I suppose, keep your studios making the games they make and ensure you have teams there to deal with those same games on PC. I would think that moving forwards PC releases are taken into account during development so maybe a team like this isn't really needed in the long term.

ACESHIGH

Banned
All these endless conjecture.. folks...PC gaming is inevitable.

Targets have been set and resistance is futile. Atlus and Sony are the next in line. Microsoft put up a good fight a decade ago but now behaves like a good boy releasing RTS and flights simulators as it always should have been.

Nintendo??? They have been assimilated long ago.

Last edited:
Top Bottom