• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[GIVEAWAY] The House in Fata Morgana - 10 steam copies [DEADLINE 3rd June]

OniBaka

Changed the deadline to 3rd June and 10 copies available

Thanks to MangaGamer's awesome support, they have provided me steam keys so I won't have to go through the steam gifting process.

Hey all, this is my first proper thread so I hope you’ll forgive the way I write.
I have beaten this game recently and I must say it really got to me with the amazing writing and characters, constantly going through waves of emotions on events happening throughout the game. I must admit this is the most I have ever cried in the game. For those of you who don’t know this game is a Visual Novel with lots of reading (roughly 30 hours) so if that’s not your thing then it will probably not be for you.

Since I’m not really good at write ups I figured I can use Funyarinpa’s from reddit. Full write up here.

Fata Morgana is one of those works of art that roll around every other year, one of the master works of the genre, one of those immaculately done paintings that are never hanged on a wall befitting their excellence and beauty. It's a testament to many things as a visual novel: It shows us how a VN does not need the slightest inkling of Japanese culture in it to be a masterpiece of the genre; how the art, music and prose can mesh together to form a magnificent crescendo of literary beauty, how one can craft a story so poignant that every single person -from the happiest to the most sorrowful- can relate to it in some manner; most importantly of all, how one can prevail over unrelenting abuse and torment.

The game has been out for a year now with barely any recognition despite having 142 reviews on steam with no negatives and being a masterpiece so I figured I’ll do a giveaway so more people can experience this amazing story and create some awareness in Gaf.

I have 10 copies I can gift on steam (using my tekken 7 money :( ) and there are 2 ways to enter!
Either play the demo here that’s on the Manga Gamer blog post and post your impressions here.Thanks to Lumination you can actually keep the demo's save and transfer it over to the full game.

The demo's save file can be copied into Steam's save directory so people can continue their game. It also retroactively unlocks achievements.

The save data is stored in the Windows appdata directory. For XP, that would be:

C:Documents and Settings<user name>Application DataMangaGamer

For Vista and newer, that would be:

C:Users<user name>AppDataRoamingMangaGamer

Copy all the contents of the directory "The House in Fata Morgana Demo" to a directory named "The House in Fata Morgana", and it should let you pick up from where you left off. The game creates an auto-save at the choice near the end of chapter 2, which you can use to get to chapter 3 fairly quickly.

Note that the game saves the content of the title bar, so when you load a demo save, it will say "The House in Fata Morgana (Demo) - <whatever>", but that'll fix itself as soon as you get to a new scene.

Or for those who don’t have time to play the demo just post here saying you’re interested.

I’ll split the copies so 5 goes to those who played the demo and the rest are for those that just posted without playing the demo.

Deadline is 3rd of June, I've made it long so it would give people plenty of time to try the demo.

I never thought I’ll do this but this game is just too great to be ignored. Below are some quotes I took from the OT which you can post your impressions if you get the full game.

I just wrapped up Chapter 2 and I'm absolutely loving my time with the game. The art and music is so good.
I just finished it, this was an excellent visual novel. Chapter 7 was probably the emotional peak of it for me, but it ended in a really satisfying way. Great music, art, very strong characterization and thematic work, I hope more people end up playing this.
Y'know what? Fuck it, I'm in.
Just finished the game and all its endings. Wow, this was a ride I was not expecting. This is surely one of the best visual novels I've ever played, never once becoming dull or uninteresting. I don't have a single complaint about it. When the credits ended, oh man! Chills down my spine! All in all, one of the best recommendations I've ever taken in this life.
Just finished.

Fantastic. What a wonderful game. Visceral, emotional, compelling -- it hits all the notes and more. I dearly wish for more VNs like this in the future. It's opened a hole in my heart that will not be easily filled.

I know I've said it a lot in the this thread, but the soundtrack is incredible. There is no way I can listen to this and not break out into a teary smile.

Thanks for the thread, OP. I hope I'll be able to introduce this game to as many people as You have.
Not gonna be a long post since most people have already echoed my thoughts in previous posts.

However, this probably the best VN Novel I've ever had the pleasure of the reading.

I doubt most VN's that I'll read in the future will compare.

Jazzem

Heya, as a big fan of visual novels I'm very much interested in this :) Love the art style and the sombre yet hopeful tone has me keen to try it.

Terrific generosity on your behalf OP!

I am very interested. Loved some of the music I heard, via a link someone posted in a VN thread recently, and it looks...quirky/charming/fun/dark...a bit of a melting pot :)

I need a really good VN to play right now, until Little Buster is released on steam! I've heard lot of good things on the game in the OT, and i'm on a narrative game mood right now, already did Clannad (the longest i did, 66 hours on steam), Root Double, Both Steins Gates, All Daganronpa, All Zero escape, and recently played Rakuen and Night in the woods (finishd this one yesterday)!

Would be really great to experience this one, i don't know much about the game, but it's look more like an horror one, love the artstyle, and i enjoyed corpse party too (since they're both horror, with a touch of humor i guess)!

So it would be nice if i've got a copie from you! I'm a little short these day so saving the price means a lot to me! Thanks you OniBaka, even if i don't get it in the end, you rocks!

i'll try the demo if i have time, but right now this is all i got

MilkBeard

Do it people. You won't regret it. One of my favorite games from last year. Great story, music, and emotional involvement.

Yeraytxu

Neo Member
A couple of friends have recommended this VN to me and made me quite interested, but I haven't been able to grab a copy yet (because of money, not of availability). I hope I get some luck!

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Oh man thanks for the giveaway!
I love VN with some horror and mystery elements, i played my good amount of VN in the recent past on Vita and in the far past on PC, recently i returned to PC but i haven't played a VN yet so it would be awesome to start with a great one! :D

Axass

Sure, I heard talking about it A LOT recently on GAF, with people being overly positive about it. I'm gonna try the demo now, thanks.

I think I already have this on my steam wishlist so I'm definately interested. I love me a good VN now and then. Thanks for the giveaway!

luulubuu

I have been looking forward to this game for the longest time, I heard it's more like a proper novel than a VN, so please, let me in the giveaway

Kalor

I've been meaning to pick this up for a while so I'd be interested. I'll play the demo later and edit this with impressions.

Edit: I got round to playing the demo and I enjoyed what I played of it. They set up some interesting mysteries at the start and I'm intrigued to find out more about them. The central conceit of these doors to tell stories of the mansion over the years is neat and there's potentially interesting stuff they could do with it. I've heard some of the music after it was posted in various threads and it didn't grab it but it works way better in the context of the game when it is doing most of the work in creating an atmosphere. Even if I don't win this I think I'll end up buying this sooner than expected after seeing the demo.

Aizo

Banned
Please bless me. I have it in my wishlist but I don't know when I can afford to buy it since my steam account is a different region and my bank account that works with it has little cash.

Cabal

I love visual novels and have considered picking this one up for some time. Really nice of you to do this, OP

I've had it on my wishlist for a while. I haven't justified purchasing it due to its high cost versus most games on Steam. But I will definitely play if I end up with a copy!

I know nothing about VN's, and have a hard time understanding the appeal. I don't want to enter the giveaway, but wanted to say to OP that you're a pretty cool dude.

Will check it out on my own later when the dust settles after everything I have to play.

I'm interested.

Many folks over at SteamGAF say that this is the de facto of visual novel nirvana. So many twists and I hear your emotions would get the better of you.

So yeah, hoping I win to see what Morgana has in store for me.

Loz246789

Not interested in the giveaway since I've already beaten (and loved) the game, but I'll echo everyone here recommending it. It's so good!

I encouraged everyone interested to watch this trailer.

Trailer :

https://youtu.be/Z5JRsH3g6wY

To add on to this: if you're not yet sold on the game, watch this. But if you're planning on definitely playing the game at some point, don't. I went into fata morgana entirely blind, and I don't regret it one bit. (It's also worth mentioning that this is for the "collected" version that's currently Japan only, which has some notable additions, but the base game is untouched. Don't worry about it.)

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
Didn't know there was a demo available - even if I don't win anything, it'll be worth the time spent. Been on the fence for this one for a long time.

Orgen

One of the most (if not the most) VN recommended on the Steam thread so that's why I have it on my wishlist and I'm interested in the game and your giveaway :D And many thanks for being so generous!

Weebos

Banned
I'm very interested in this game, it's been on my wishlist for awhile. My backlog though ;;. I would definitely play it and post impressions if I win though.

OP you're a hero.

Ascheroth

Btw, House in Fata Morgana was #16 on last years SteamGAF GOTY-list by number of points, but would have been #1 by highest average points(4.71/5!). Aka everyone who played it loved, but few played it :(

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Great thread, OP.

The demo's save file can be copied into Steam's save directory so people can continue their game. It also retroactively unlocks achievements.
The save data is stored in the Windows appdata directory. For XP, that would be:

C:Documents and Settings<user name>Application DataMangaGamer

For Vista and newer, that would be:

C:Users<user name>AppDataRoamingMangaGamer

Copy all the contents of the directory "The House in Fata Morgana Demo" to a directory named "The House in Fata Morgana", and it should let you pick up from where you left off. The game creates an auto-save at the choice near the end of chapter 2, which you can use to get to chapter 3 fairly quickly.

Note that the game saves the content of the title bar, so when you load a demo save, it will say "The House in Fata Morgana (Demo) - <whatever>", but that'll fix itself as soon as you get to a new scene.

Also, there is absolutely no fanservice in this game. It totally sheds away what people assume a VN needs to do in order to be produced. While the game was developed in Japan and the art has an anime aesthetic, that's where the comparisons stop.

If you enjoy the soundtrack, I highly recommend you grab the soundtrack DLC for $11. It's 68 full tracks, so well worth it. They download as mp3s, so it's not attached in anyway to the actual game. It also comes with a few jpgs of art with lyrics on them.
GRdaNet.jpg

I really hope you guys enjoy the game, whether or not you win a copy. I think it's at the top of the class at what it sets out to do. It's one of those unique experiences that stick with you for a long time and that's really just about the highest praise I can give to a game.

Nice giveaway, OP! I'm definitely interested.

Edit: I beat the surprisingly lengthy demo. Took like four hours and I'm a fast reader. I enjoyed both chapters/doors but the second was much more intriguing, imo. Regardless, the art, music, the whole package is gelling with me and I'm interested in where it's heading. Pretty good impression for a game I just heard about today, I'm going to purchase the full game as soon as I possibly can.

daveo42

Banned
I'll throw my hat in the ring. More excited by this VN thanks to some of the positive impressions I've seen and I probably need to expand on the types of VNs I've already played.

Thanks for the generosity OP.

Ladekabel

I'll try my luck. Interested in it since it's been recommended to me in the Steam thread but the art style is super appalling to me which makes me wary of buying it.

Top Bottom