• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[GI.biz] Nier Replicant debuts at #1 in the UK (89% of sales on PlayStation)

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
No, Nier developers are most likely pushing Square Enix to get their game on Game Pass ASAP.

Highly doubtful.

They have nothing to gain from making a secondary market SKU more appealing than their primary ones. If MS want to pony up 6months/1 year down the line, sure. Because at that point they'll have gotten an accurate read on how valuable or not the franchise is going forwards.

Honestly, the only good reason for a third party to put a title on GP day#1 is a chronic lack of confidence in its sales potential.

kyoji

Highly doubtful.

They have nothing to gain from making a secondary market SKU more appealing than their primary ones. If MS want to pony up 6months/1 year down the line, sure. Because at that point they'll have gotten an accurate read on how valuable or not the franchise is going forwards.

Honestly, the only good reason for a third party to put a title on GP day#1 is a chronic lack of confidence in its sales potential.
This gentlemen gets it ^

Surely time for them to reconsider supporting Xbox when the sales split is that drastic?

Or only develop for xbox if there is gamepass inclusion offer and the offer price is tempting.

Few select games will benefit. The rest of the 99% of games will suffer in sales ( save the usual heavy hitter games).

Reactions: MrS

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Surely time for them to reconsider supporting Xbox when the sales split is that drastic?
I wonder if this is how things will play out because will it be even worth the cost of porting the game when so few Xbox owners will buy it 🤔

iceatcs

I suspect it won't change much for multiplatform and indies along MS paying them standard gamepass fund, but the high budget 3rd party titles. The publishers may want some more money for the money-hat if MS wants them to be PC/Xbox only, and likely much more fund if they want it to be on Gamepass.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Ever heard of "the proof is in the pudding"?
nah, doesn't even apply here anyway

ddwxbpj-69ba0a7f-bbf3-4ef1-b899-1ae866356451.jpg

Markio128

"Why game sold a lot more on PS?" -> "Because Gamepass affected sales even if the game isn't on it"
"How do we know if gamepass affected sales even if the game isn't on it?" -> "Because it sold a lot more in PS."

Circular logic, PEEEEEEEH disqualified.

Shiina.Mafuyu.full.87820.jpg
I thought more games were being purchased by xbox fans due to game pass, therefore, this circular logic of yours is, to put it plainly, is a load of bollocks. The fact is, less xbox gamers purchased the game because there is less interest in this game from xbox gamers. And, there are less xbox gamers than PS gamers. There is your logic, backed up by fact.

I thought more games were being purchased by xbox fans due to game pass, therefore, this circular logic of yours is, to put it plainly, is a load of bollocks. The fact is, less xbox gamers purchased the game because there is less interest in this game from xbox gamers. And, there are less xbox gamers than PS gamers. There is your logic, backed up by fact.
Can attest, Xbox gamer with zero interest in this, on GamePass, digital download or outdated plastic disc format.

Guilty_AI

I thought more games were being purchased by xbox fans due to game pass, therefore, this circular logic of yours is, to put it plainly, is a load of bollocks.
Circular logic is, by definition, a load of bollocks.

The fact is, less xbox gamers purchased the game because there is less interest in this game from xbox gamers. And, there are less xbox gamers than PS gamers. There is your logic, backed up by fact.
Indeed, less xbox gamers and less interest in this game. Thats all.
Now prove that this lesser interest is caused by gamepass even if the game isn't on it (guy above even said he has zero interest in this game, AKA he wouldn't have bought it even if there wasn't any gamepass), which was the original point i was counter-arguing.
Just so you understand the time-line:
Captain Mushroom:
-Claims gamepass is guilty because he hears xbox fans saying they'll wait for gamepass frequently
Me:
-Points out people frequently say the same thing about sales and PS+ freebies, thus that can't be the reason.

Last edited:

Markio128

Circular logic is, by definition, a load of bollocks.

Indeed, less xbox gamers and less interest in this game. Thats all.
Now prove that this lesser interest is caused by gamepass even if the game isn't on it (guy above even said he has zero interest in this game, AKA he wouldn't have bought it even if there wasn't any gamepass), which was the original point i was counter-arguing.
Just so you understand the time-line:
Captain Mushroom:
-Claims gamepass is guilty because he hears xbox fans saying they'll wait for gamepass frequently
Me:
-Points out people frequently say the same thing about sales and PS+ freebies, thus that can't be the reason.
I don’t know if game pass is affecting sales of games not on the service. However, it does appear that PS+ didn’t affect the PS version being sold. That was the only point that I was trying to make.

Guilty_AI

I don’t know if game pass is affecting sales of games not on the service. However, it does appear that PS+ didn’t affect the PS version being sold. That was the only point that I was trying to make.
Exactly, Its as you said. And i was using this fact to counter-argue mister mushroom back there.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Exactly, Its as you said. And i was using this fact to counter-argue mister mushroom back there.

So, what data exactly would you need to be able to deduce that Gamepass is affecting game sales?

A lower attach ratio than X1? You know, total amount of software sold. There’s gotta be something that would allow you to put two and two together.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

So, what data exactly would you need to be able to deduce that Gamepass is affecting game sales?

A lower attach ratio?
No idea. Maybe a survey or something asking a bunch Xbox players specific questions like:
"Would you stop from buying a game you want that might or might not come to gamepass?"

Probably a better question to ask and gather data about would be how many people got an xbox because of gamepass. AKA, a reversal of cause and effect of the point people are trying to argue here.
Rather than "How much gamepass is causing xbox users to buy less games" it'd be "How much more users xbox is gaining because they want to use gamepass and little else"

Last edited:

mansoor1980

The comment was where PlayStation was not more dominant than Xbox.

There are probably lots of territories where Nintendo is #1. At least right now, they have huge fluctuations in sales from one generation to the next.
isnt nintendo doing its own thing instead of competing for console space

just curious but is there any multiplatform game where the playstation did not get the lions share of sales?
I think it’s rare when multiplatform games sell better on Xbox over PlayStation. I think a few multiplatform games had relatively close sales on both consoles, but to my knowledge Sony usually gets most of the sales. Especially Japanese games where they always did and do sell significantly better on Sony consoles. Imo, Gamepass isn’t going to really help matters either.

mansoor1980

I think it’s rare when multiplatform games sell better on Xbox over PlayStation. I think a few multiplatform games had relatively close sales on both consoles, but to my knowledge Sony usually gets most of the sales. Especially Japanese games where they always did and do sell significantly better on Sony consoles. Imo, Gamepass isn’t going to really help matters either.
whats your take on game pass?

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Why not? With the way MS has been pushing Gamepass, it could certainly be.
Because 80% is way above industry average, and there is no data or evidence to believe that Xbox digital sales ratio is an industry exception. So unless proven otherwise, it is safe to assume that the digital ratio on Xbox is at par with the industry average.

Because 80% is way above industry average, and there is no data or evidence to believe that Xbox digital sales ratio is an industry exception. So unless proven otherwise, it is safe to assume that the digital ratio on Xbox is at par with the industry average.
Dunno what you mean with 'industry average' here, but just like Nintendo sells more physical than Sony, Microsoft might be selling more digital than Sony. Nothing is safe to assume.

yazenov

Dunno what you mean with 'industry average' here, but just like Nintendo sells more physical than Sony, Microsoft might be selling more digital than Sony. Nothing is safe to assume.

Small correction, in the previous pal threads, we got percentages of overall physical software and we know that Sony sells more physical software overall than Nintendo.

Last edited:
Small correction, in the previous pal threads, we got percentages of overall physical software and we know that Sony sells more physical software overall than Nintendo.
We're talking physical to digital ratios here.
No offense bro, but you're making assumptions here that Xbox might be selling more digital than Sony 😛 I'm just going with the industry average (which is roughly 50%) for both consoles.
Saying something might be true is not an assumption. And how do you know the "industry average" (again ignoring Nintendo) when we don't have any Xbox digital numbers?

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Saying something might be true is not an assumption. And how do you know the "industry average" (again ignoring Nintendo) when we don't have any Xbox digital numbers?
A large enough sample size, when Xbox doesn't show anything exceptional to suggest otherwise:

There are other articles as well and I have read them, but I'm too lazy to search for them now.

Edit: The industry average is hovering around 51-56%. Sony has recently shipped 60%+ digital (but post-covid numbers can be misleading), so if going by averages, Xbox should be below that 55% mark. But for the sake of argument and keeping it fair, I'm assuming that both Sony and Xbox sell digital games roughly the same amount and there is no drastic difference b/w them.

Last edited:
A large enough sample size, when Xbox doesn't show anything exceptional to suggest otherwise:

There are other articles as well and I have read them, but I'm too lazy to search for them now.

Edit: The industry average is hovering around 51-56%. Sony has recently shipped 60%+ digital (but post-covid numbers can be misleading), so if going by averages, Xbox should be below that 55% mark. But for the sake of argument and keeping it fair, I'm assuming that both Sony and Xbox sell digital games roughly the same amount and there is no drastic difference b/w them.

I wouldn’t waste your time with that clown. 2 times I’ve asked him to prove with any bit of data that Xbox sells more digitally (like it matters) and he’s refused and carry on trolling and changing his position like they all do.

Don’t worry he’s happy to post racist graphs to prove his point.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

That seems well reasoned and support the assumption on MS probable digital to physical sales ratio more than arguing that some mysterious unknown factor gives MS a much much higher ratio than Sony or the apparent industry average, Bernd Lauert Bernd Lauert thoughts?

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Here are my thoughts:

Five percent. Retail is borderline irrelevant.

You are sidestepping the argument though comparing physical sales Sony is getting vs the entire revenue (MTX generate revenue on top of those too).

Will you concede that your assumption that MS has a considerably higher digital to physical ratio than Sony or the industry average now might not be supported?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Bugs Bunny No GIF

Seriously though, we can't know until we get some numbers from Microsoft. It also wildly varies on a per game basis.
Between saying we cannot know it at all because MS does not give us numbers and not being able to know a rough range well… there is a gulf lol.

Last edited:

Three

Gold Member
Bugs Bunny No GIF

Seriously though, we can't know until we get some numbers from Microsoft. It also wildly varies on a per game basis.
If a third party is saying that 52% of all sales were digital and Sony is telling you that 51% of all games were bought digital what can you likely deduce from that?

Considering that the third party digital sales percentage are not far from the percentage of all games bought on PS4 it can be assumed that there is not an outlier which heavily changes the third party percentage. On average they are very close. Unless sales on xbox are absolutely atrocious to begin with for the third party (EA) your assumption of people buying digital on xbox would shift the third party percentage far above Sonys. It doesn’t and there is an industry average.

The easy copout of how do you know when MS doesn't give you data doesn't work. How do you know the The Flying Spaghetti Monster isn't real either?

Thirty7ven

Banned
Last quarter digital ratio was 79% on PlayStation so theories about there being any significant difference between both consoles are out.

Last edited:
Top Bottom