• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghostbusters Review Thread [Certified Fresh - 75%]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Neither do I. It's a Ghostbusters movie. Lol.
Exactly.

And Its kinda sad. The magnifying glass over this movie has kinda made me tired of hearing about it. Maybe its just been such a dry summer for movies theres nothing better to do than to fine comb this remake.

But people are taking this more serious than the movie is taking itself. What a weird time we live in.

Bumblebeetuna

Gold Member
I might Redbox eventually. I don't like how it's a comedy first, especially since virtually none of the comedy landed for me in the previews with a couple exceptions. Seeing some of the CGI.. yikes.

It is nice to see Kate McKinnon getting some buzz though, she deserves more work.

KingV

People need to revisit Ghostbusters 2. It doesn't hold up.

I watched it a few weeks ago. It's not a great movie but it's not horrible. It's actually pretty funny for the first half or so and only really goes to shit when they have like the entire city of New York doing something and then Louis shows up in a ghostbusters costume and Ray gets possessed for like 15 seconds, and of course the Statue of Liberty bit.

oti

Banned
Is it better or worse than Harry Potter und die Heiligtümer des Todes Teil 1 coz that's where I draw the line.

B.b.but the OG Ghostbusters movies were serious and this new one is slapstick and goofy!! Giant pink slime penis in the tub is serious business.
There is a difference between fun and a SNL Sketch movie that has dozens of references and cameos literally every 10 minutes.

Lothar

Banned
Faraci's reviews get to go in the Rotten Tomatoes score? He was one of the clowns calling AVGN sexist for not wanting to see the movie for his "Innate sexism". Of course he's going to say it's good no matter what.

Isn't calling everyone who doesn't like Ghostbusters an MRA just as sexist?

I mean I wouldn't bash you guys if you like the movie and are able to find some enjoyment out of it.

So why is it that you have to lump in the people who have legitimate criticisms with the ones who are actually being sexist & misogynistic? That doesn't make any sense to me.

You do realize a lot of the movie's detractors are women themselves right?

So why mislead people into thinking the movie's detractors are entirely male?

And really how is a movie that features female characters that are reduced to tired old stereotypes progressive? If anything it's regressive.

Look I'm all for having differing opinions and if you like Ghostbusters that's totally fine.

But please don't go out and attack people simply because they express an opinion you don't like.

And really going after WrecklessEating and calling him an MRA because he gave his opinion on a movie and tore it apart because in his opinion it was a shitty movie is just childish & moronic and when you do that you prove to be no better than the people you hate, no better than the small minority of Ghostbusters "haters" who hate the movie solely of women, and no better than the small minority of GamerGate supporters who attack women just because their women.

If you don't agree with my opinion that's fine but I just needed to get this off my chest.

Sometimes it's good to have a Sunday rant.

kunonabi

Sounds exactly like what I expected from the trailers, etc. It's depressing that this is what we get from a new Ghostbusters film but considering how these reboots and such have gone the last few years it could have been worse I suppose.

GhaleonEB

Lots of no scores, plenty of "even thoughs" and "while it isn't"s, alongside a splattering of this sorta thing:
The no scores are coming from sites that don't offer up scores for movie reviews. Unless you are seeing exceptions carved out for this film, that's not noteworthy.

B33

Banned
Everything you are doing here is bad. I want you to know this.
One day all of you will wake up and see Ghostbusters 2 for what it is, a bad movie that fails to capture the charm and energy of the original.

I watched it a few weeks ago. It's not a great movie but it's not horrible. It's actually pretty funny for the first half or so and only really goes to shit when they have like the entire city of New York doing something and then Louis shows up in a ghostbusters costume and Ray gets possessed for like 15 seconds, and of course the Statue of Liberty bit.
The first half coasts off of the chemistry of the leads, but it still feels third rate compared to the original.

It's a slog to get through and definitely gets worse as it progresses.

Corpekata

Banned

I mean I wouldn't bash you guys if you like the movie and are able to find some enjoyment out of it.

So why is it that you have to lump in the people who have legitimate criticisms with the ones who are actually being sexist & misogynistic? That doesn't make any sense to me.

And really how is a movie that features female characters that are reduced to tired old stereotypes progressive? If anything it's regressive.

Look I'm all for having differing opinions and if you like Ghostbusters that's totally fine.

But please don't go out and attack people simply because they express an opinion you don't like.

And really going after WrecklessEating and calling him an MRA because he gave his opinion on a movie and tore it apart because in his opinion it was a shitty movie is just childish & moronic and when you do that you prove to be no better than the people you hate, no better than the small minority of Ghostbusters "haters" who hate the movie solely of women, and no better than the small minority of GamerGate supporters who attack women just because their women.

If you don't agree with my opinion that's fine but I just needed to get this off my chest.

You could have saved yourself the rant by just going "b-b-but both sides" at a scarecrow.

giphy.gif

Trokil

Banned
Faraci's reviews get to go in the Rotten Tomatoes score? He was one of the clowns calling AVGN sexist for not wanting to see the movie for his "Innate sexism". Of course he's going to say it's good no matter what.

It is still pretty political somehow, not giving scores for example and still slamming it in the text is pretty strange.

But OK, I guess the is the times we are living now. Not liking a movies is already an insult to some people. I am not going to watch it either, because after the Star Wars fan fiction movie, I am not giving Hollywood any money anymore for stupid reboots.

I think it's rare to see someone calling everyone who doesn't like it a MRA, it's just that it's the salty reactions of the MRAs among the people who didn't like it that people want to see the most.

I can see that but either way you look at it it's still pretty childish.

But come Friday I'll finally have a concrete opinion on whether or not it's good.

My expectations are so low at this point that I'm expecting something that's not a complete trainwreck.

cr0w

Old Member
One day all of you will wake up and see Ghostbusters 2 for what it is, a bad movie that fails to capture the charm and energy of the original.

The first half coasts off of the chemistry of the leads, but it still feels third rate compared to the original.

It's a slog to get through and definitely gets worse as it progresses.

I'm not disagreeing that it's a "bad" movie, but to me it's a fun movie. Janosz is an incredibly funny character. He's the saving grace of the movie for me.

It's like one of my favorite movies ever, Transylvania 6-5000. Objectively, it's a "bad" movie, but to me it's such a damn funny one that it doesn't matter. Certain things like Janosz just hit my funny bone perfectly.

B33

Banned

Is this satire??

Schlorgan

I put Ghostbusters 2 in the same category as Metal Gear Solid 2 and Gremlins 2 as follow-ups that gleefully go off the rails while giving a huge middle finger to the people that took the first one seriously.

I say this as someone who likes Ghostbusters 2, Metal Gear Solid 2 and Gremlins 2. They go so far and so dumb that I find them kind of endearing for it.

You're either into that or you're not.

Added a few more reviews to the OP.

New York Times: No Score
Part of what makes “Ghostbusters” enjoyable is that it allows women to be as simply and uncomplicatedly funny as men, though it would have been nice if Ms. Jones had been given more to do. (If this were a radical reboot, she would have played a scientist.) In the end, these are Ghostbusters, not Ghostbusting suffragists, even if there’s plenty of feminism onscreen and off. It’s hard to know if the movie started off being as meta as it now plays, but when these Ghostbusters are labeled frauds — or crack jokes about ugly online comments or take on a fan boy from hell — it sure feels as if Mr. Feig and his team are blowing gleeful raspberries at the project’s early sexist attackers.

Nerdist: 3/5
Overall, I enjoyed watching the movie and I think the main takeaway is that it’s completely inoffensive, which may seem like damning with faint praise, but when so much vitriol has been littering message boards and comment threads for over a year, the fact that it’s not only not that bad but it’s perfectly fine is a victory in and of itself. I’d love to see what Feig’s director’s cut looked like, but the film we have now is nothing at all to be upset about. In fact, I’d wager anybody who rips the movie apart went in ready to hate it.

I wish for the sake of shutting up haters that the movie had been a grand slam, or even just a home run with a couple of runners on base. As it is, it’s a base hit in the top of the 3rd inning. It does its job, you can watch it, laugh, and move on to hating something else before you’ve seen it.

Entertainment Weekly: C+
So why does Ghostbusters feel so restrained? For starters, it’s too slavish when it nods to the original (although its throw-back cameos are fun), and too flailing and flat when it strays from it (Feig and co-writer Katie Dippold introduce a ghost-unleashing villain, then don’t know what to do with him). Even the spectral f/x are oddly shlocky (seeing it in 3-D is pointless aside from one comin’-at-ya slime gag). McCarthy, of course, gets off some lunatic one-liners; McKinnon, the group’s loose cannon, can crack you up just by widening her wildcard eyes; Jones mixes her signature bluster with an air of gung-ho joy; and Wiig’s timing is as Swiss-precise as ever (that is, when she’s not being saddled as the film’s straight-woman). Even Chris Hemsworth, as the Ghostbusters’ dim, beefcake receptionist, is funny — for a while. But with a cast as daring and quick as this one, Ghostbusters is too mild and plays it too safe. Somewhere, I bet, there’s an R-rated director’s cut of the movie where these women really let it rip. I want to see that movie.

TIME: No Score
Yet there’s little that’s nostalgic, in the musty sense, about Feig’s reimagined ghostbusting universe: The movie glows with vitality, thanks largely to the performers, who revel in one another’s company, and not in a self-congratulatory, Ocean’s Twelve-style, “We’re awesome movie stars, together” way. Some of their dialogue has a loose, loopy, unscripted vibe, a la Bill Murray’s poker-faced asides in the original. When the heroines take time out from their heavy-duty citizen-saving for an impromptu Patrick Swayze reverie, they’re inviting us right into the crystalline goofiness of the moment.

Forbes: No Score
As someone who merely likes the first two Ghostbusters without worshipping them, I’d say this redo is about as good as those two 1980’s films. It also lacks the Reagan-esque right wing fantasies of the original, so that’s an upgrade right there. I wish Ghostbusters was a better film, because I know the stakes and because I like everyone involved. But “Okay” is not the enemy of perfect, especially since most of my complaints will be irrelevant to paying consumers.

Ghostbusters is neither the great comedy of its age, nor an “Everything you are doing is bad. I want you to know this” disaster. Its mere adequacy may become the most important part of its legacy, especially if it’s a hit. Ghostbusters makes the case for the conventionality of a female-fronted blockbuster while also arguing that such a thing can be just as “Eh, it’s okay” as any male-fronted one.

Guardian: 4/5
The new Ghostbusters is good. Very good, in fact. It had to be. No comedy has faced more advance scrutiny - even hostility – than Paul Feig’s reboot of Ivan Reitman’s beloved 1980s hit.

Most crucially, the mean-spirited reception to the film before anyone had seen it does not seem to have put a dampener on the movie itself. Fun oozes from almost every frame; likewise the energy of a team excited to be revolutionising the blockbuster landscape. Let’s just hope everyone will enjoy the view.

It looks like it'll score higher than both Robicop and Total Recall (more than twice as higher there).

Two films people had been comparing it to.

Lijik

Its already been mentioned but after months of reading essays about how the trailers arent like ghostbusters, its funny to see the biggest complaint be it follows the original too closely. Gonna try and catch it this weekend

SANS HERE AND I'M HERE TO TELL YOU YOU'RE GONNA HAVE A BAD TIME IF YOU DON'T BUY UNDERTALE ;) BUT I'M TOO LAZY JUST LIKE SANS AND THAT'S WHY I IDENTIFY AS A SANS.
damn youre still doing this weirdass shtick? dust the chip off your shoulder and grow up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom