• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghostbusters Review Thread [Certified Fresh - 75%]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kuroyume

Banned
That review from Youtube posted yesterday was really scathing. And that guy didn't appear to be an MRA type, or Ghostbusters hardcore fan. These other reviews (just based on summary of the OP) don't appear to be as negative. Either it's not THAT bad or it's getting somewhat of a free pass in terms of criticism. Alot of "no scores." Is that common?

B33

Banned
With the Sony Email leaks it came out that Sony would do legal actions if Bill Murray wouldnt be part of this movie.
It was because Harold Ramis's death apparently changed the financial stake all of the actors held in the IP. If Murray didn't do a cameo in the new movie, he was going to lose his financial stake in the IP.

This is based on secondhand knowledge passed on by someone who claimed to have read through the emails, so I don't know how true any of this is and I doubt Sony or anyone involved will ever comment on it.

Very "polite" reviews coming out of some outlets because of the political space this film occupies.

C9or9pU.gif

I don't think that's how movie reviewing works

That review from Youtube posted yesterday was really scathing. And that guy didn't appear to be an MRA type, or Ghostbusters hardcore fan. These other reviews (just based on summary of the OP) don't appear to be as negative. Either it's not THAT bad or it's getting somewhat of a free pass in terms of criticism. Alot of "no scores." Is that common?

It's definitely not common, which is why it was the first thing I noticed. Especially for a movie.

Like video games, I'll see stuff like 'don't buy' or 'too early for a score'. But for movies? Yeah. Chances are the score was going to be negative, but they didn't want to feed into the whole 'wow this movie sucks' by putting average scores.

I don't think that's how movie reviewing works

Lets be real, believing that reviews are written by arbitrators of neutrality is a bit naive.

Robot Pants

I mean they had an embargo up until now. Usually that isn't a good sign.
And with the ton of no scores it seems like they are going easy on it. It's all adding up to be a pretty bad movie.

Maybe the guy was an MRA type and people just liked the movie.

It was because Harold Ramis's death apparently changed the financial stake all of the actors held in the IP. If Murray didn't do a cameo in the new movie, he was going to lose his financial stake in the IP.

This is based on secondhand knowledge passed on by someone who claimed to have read through the emails, so I don't know how true any of this is and I doubt Sony or anyone involved will ever comment on it.
Either way Bill Murray didnt want to be part of the movie.

While everyone was laughing after showing a clip on Jimmy Kimmel he looked like he wanted to be dead.

It's definitely not common, which is why it was the first thing I noticed. Especially for a movie.

Like video games, I'll see stuff like 'don't buy' or 'too early for a score'. But for movies? Yeah. Chances are the score was going to be negative, but they didn't want to feed into the whole 'wow this movie sucks' by putting average scores.

Lets be real, believing that reviews are written by arbitrators of neutrality is a bit naive.

Wtf look at any other movie on RT, 'no scores' usually comprise 40-50% of the reviews.

Zakalwe

Banned
I'm sure this won't do much to appease the more vitriolic detractors, but I'm glad it seems to be a decent film. I had extremely low expectations from the materials we've seen so far, and while I still don't think a lot of the humour will hit me where it matters I reckon I could enjoy this as a fun pop-corn event.

Point being, I'm certainly open to enjoying it.

I mean they had an embargo up until now. Usually that isn't a good sign.
And with the ton of no scores it seems like they are going easy on it. It's all adding up to be a pretty bad movie.

lol wat, the embargo time is normal

Also I've never seen the Goonies
but it's probably shit

I was so close to turning it off when this came up.

Was this funny back then?

The film or the bit? If you mean the film, from memory it was considered funny but a disappointment compared to the first film since the general structure was the same and the dialogue wasn't quite as good. I've always enjoyed it more then the consensus view though. Vigo terrified me as a kid.

If you mean the bit, yes. My personal favourite ghostbusters moment. I consider the courtroom scene to be the best GB scene too.

B33

Banned
Shit talking GB2 is allowed, but shit talking The Goonies will not stand!

If it's any consolation Goonies is a better movie than Ghostbusters 2.

It's not a masterpiece obviously lol but in terms of kid adventure flicks it was a hell of a lot better than many of the other films that have followed it. Only one that gives it a run for its money is attack the Block honestly. Super 8 sure as hell didn't step up to the task.

Goonies kids were pretty hilarious too.

Donner was a really solid genre director at the time. The Omen, Superman, Goonies, Lethal Weapon. Dude was a monster

And I think ghostbusters is worthy of being called a classic. That and back to the future are very entertaining sci fi comedies.

Donner is a great filmmaker, but I find Goonies to be one of the weaker films in his filmography.

The movie doesn't work for me. Even as a kid I didn't like it.

Pandy

Even if the movie is getting good reviews (which it is for the most part). Everybody is going to dismiss them and just cite the bad reviews.

The problem is, personally, I just can't take critic reviews (on aggregate) to be anything like reflective of my opinion. As others here have said, if I could find one critic that matched up with me 90% of the time I'd take their opinion over everyone else.

We're talking about a 55-70% RT at the moment. Spectre got 65% and was one of the worst films I've ever paid money to watch in a cinema.
Heck, The Force Awakens got 92% and I felt bad about the money I spent on that rubbish too.

So not a disaster of a movie nor a worthy successor to ghostbusters, just an okay remake that your enjoyment depends upon how much you like Fieg's previous work. That seems to be the consensus from the reviews I've read.

Pachinko

Drew Mcweeney liked it and I feel he's more in touch with the average nerdy movie goer than most. I mean, like any critic , I don't always agree with him and dislike his tendency to spoil entire movies when he dislikes them (tron legacy/007 spectre for example) but his review makes this sound like an unabashed good time.

Thanks to the "asshole MRA" narrative being pushed , I can't help but mostly ignore any bad reviews this gets , like genuine bad reviews. It just feels too much like "see it sucks just like we said it would". That's not exactly fair but maybe next time people online shouldn't spend 12 months bashing a movie because the protagonists don't have penises ? It paints their entire group as nothing but angry man children and that's one group of people I can happily ignore.

KingV

That's because you can't make a Ghostbusters sequel that isn't too faithful to the original because it's Ghostbusters and there's only a few things about it that make it Ghostbusters that you HAVE to have in it.

IE making a new Ghostbusters movie in the first place was a dumb idea. Original cast or not.

Paradoxically, I think making a reboot gives Feig LESS freedom than making a loosely tied sequel. Making a reboot, there are a number of things you have to have or it's not really Ghostbusters, and it ends up being really similar to the original.

It's actually probably easier to go Lost World and acknowledge all of this stuff happened at some point, but it was a long time ago and no ghostly activity since and the ghostbusters retired, moved, died fighting ghosts, lost in an inter dimensional rift, whatever.

And the new crew has to basically pick up from scratch. It would have given them more freedom to say "hey these aren't the original crew, so they are doing everything a bit differently... But all of that original stuff is still valid!"

Also, it gives you room to have a bunch of spin off media showing what happened to the original busters.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
So middling reviews, not the disaster the MRAs and Gamergaters made it out to be. I expected this.

The problem is, personally, I just can't take critic reviews (on aggregate) to be anything like reflective of my opinion. As others here have said, if I could find one critic that matched up with me 90% of the time I'd take their opinion over everyone else.

We're talking about a 55-70% RT at the moment. Spectre got 65% and was one of the worst films I've ever paid money to watch in a cinema.
Heck, The Force Awakens got 92% and I felt bad about the money I spent on that rubbish too.

Then you miss the point of consumer reviews.

Ponn

Banned
you have ascended reviews

a movies quality is determined by how much money it makes

That's the mahvel way!

It's alot like game reviews. I no longer look to reviews or metacritic type data to make my purchases. There is enough information out there now between trailers, lets plays and such to make an educated decision to jump in without having to wade through the cynicism, agendas and people hung up on technical aspects that i frankly just don't give a shit about. Movies especially are even easier, I don't need to spend 12 hours of my life scouring reviews, going over trailers after trailers, watching youtube videos after youtube videos to drop $8 on a movie ticket and spend 2 hours just watching the damn movie. People make it so much harder than it needs to be.

I'm going to make a list of everyone falling for that shit Mac is dropping

And then I'm going to hit you all in the back of the head with a chair

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom