• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghostbusters Review Thread [Certified Fresh - 75%]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup, I also liked Dan Akroyd saying "I aint afraid of no ghosts"

I also had no idea there were going to be so many cameos in this movie, and I loved each and every one. The best was Harold Remis' cameo
as a bust in the hall at the university

Can't really believe so many people are skipping this movie, because it feels like something that goes out of its way to please fans. As far as I'm concerned, Ghostbusters is a perfect franchise, not a bad major entry in the entire series. Ghostbusters 1 is great, Ghostbusters 2 is great, The Real Ghostbusters is great, Ghostbusters: The Video game is great, and Ghostbusters 2016 is great.

I wanna go see the movie again.

See it in Imax so godly.

I've seen it 3 times already lol.

This was alright! I was weary of the movie because of Feig, and while I think his aggressive lack of imagination really held this back, it still worked fairly well despite that.

Saw it in a regular cinema, but seeing it in imax sounds great, I may have to do that.

Bustin' makes me feel good!

I watched in both, IMAX is definitely the better experience. Not sure if it's just my IMAX theatre here but films shown on it are always brighter, and don't have the dull/dark image most 3D films do on a standard screen. It might be the glasses since they do use a different type

Krejlooc

Banned
Even if there's never a sequel I'm glad we got what we got

Yeah, I feel the same way. I'm also glad we got Ghostbusters: The Video game. I don't understand how so many people are upset at Ghostbusters 2016 for not being Ghostbusters 3, when we already got Ghostbusters 3, and it was awesome.

I hope they make another one, though.

Yeah, I feel the same way. I'm also glad we got Ghostbusters: The Video game. I don't understand how so many people are upset at Ghostbusters 2016 for not being Ghostbusters 3, when we already got Ghostbusters 3, and it was awesome.

I hope they make another one, though.

Me too I want it badly but I have no idea what's going to happen.

It did well for a Feig movie, and frankly did well for a movie based on a IP that hasn't been in the general social zeitgeist for about 25 years, but at the budget they gave it, I wouldn't be surprised if they don't give it another shot.

Here's hoping though!

I guess the reason I want a sequel so bad is that despite how much I liked this one, it did feel held back by necessity of being an origin story.

I want just one film where they're already the Ghostbusters and there's less setup needed. Like I wanna see some scenes where they're just hanging out at a bar or someone's house, shooting the shit and playing off each other because the chemistry is so good.

And you just KNOW Holtzmann is gonna have a bunch of new toys in the future.

Krejlooc

Banned
Just wondering: are the people that like this movie fans of the original ghostbusters movie? Is this a good movie but a bad ghostbusters movie?

Loved loved loved the original 2 movies and the cartoon and the toys and the sega master system game. Pictures of me dressed as a ghostbuster from halloween.

Yeah, I've liked ghostbusters basically my whole life. As a ghostbusters fan, the movie was awesome. It has so many nods and winks for ghostbusters fans, too.

Can I just say that Annie Potts is still incredible?

Loved loved loved the original 2 movies and the cartoon and the toys and the sega master system game. Pictures of me dressed as a ghostbuster from halloween.

Yeah, I've liked ghostbusters basically my whole life. As a ghostbusters fan, the movie was awesome. It has so many nods and winks for ghostbusters fans, too.

Can I just say that Annie Potts is still incredible?

Yes you can.

Are we the same person?

Everything you describes of yourself describes me.!

I asked for the plastic Ghostbusters Firehouse for christmas or my birthday can't remember hich, and instead of getting me that my dad built a 3 to 4 foot tall custom Firehouse, with garage for the Ecto 1, firepole, a containment unit (door opens and ghosts slide down a tube into a storage space for my ghosts, and as a fan addition a working crank elevator that goes from first floor all the way to the roof. I still have this thing, it's my end table in my living room.

I hate this insinuation from some people that anyone who loves this version must not have grown up on the originals.

Just wondering: are the people that like this movie fans of the original ghostbusters movie? Is this a good movie but a bad ghostbusters movie?

The original is one of my favourite movies ever, but I hated the 2nd one. I was a pretty big GB fan growing up, had a nice Slimer horn for my bicycle.

slimerghostbusters.jpg

I think this is a good movie and I wouldn't say a bad Ghostbusters movie, but it's an entirely DIFFERENT one from what's come before.

The original is one of my favourite movies ever, but I hated the 2nd one. I was a pretty big GB fan growing up, had a nice Slimer horn for my bicycle.

I think this is a good movie and I wouldn't say a bad Ghostbusters movie, but it's an entirely DIFFERENT one from what's come before.

I had that horn!!!!!

I'd say it's an amazing Real Ghostbusters movie.

Krejlooc

Banned
Oh man, if they had called this movie "The Real Ghostbusters" imagine the backlash lol

I think, in the end, Ramis would have really loved this movie.

Also, Holtz is totally a hot, female version of Egon from the cartoon.

Oh man, if they had called this movie "The Real Ghostbusters" imagine the backlash lol

I think, in the end, Ramis would have really loved this movie.

Also, Holtz is totally a hot, female version of Egon from the cartoon.

Visually.

I think they're completely different character wise.

jstripes

Banned

I'm in my late 30s. Loved the original. Loved the cartoon. (I collected the stickers.) Loved this one. The second movie occupies a sort of blind spot in my memory.

The thing about Ghostbusters and I've said it zillions of times is that the franchise does not exist within some bubble where only the first two movies do. It has went on to take different shapes. As long as it has the same premise, it's Ghostbusters. I wanted Ghostbusters 3 proper for the longest time, until about the early 2000's where I'm just like okay that's probably not going to happen, but I'd still like a new one if it has to be different people with a different tone.

And here we are. In many ways, I kind of prefer this one. The first movie made me a fan, but I kept being a fan beyond that with the cartoons and games and stuff. It's just a bigger thing to me than the first two movies and while I think the original is probably the better movie, watching this was like, wow here's a live action version of many things I've wanted to see in one of the movies.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Fan of the original two GB movies, the cartoon, the Genesis and PS360 video game, and this movie definitely felt like a really fun The Real Ghostbusters episode.

I just really dug the visual style of the movie. And yeah, Holtzmann is awesome.

Can you imagine if they just straight up named the characters Stanz, Venkman, Spengler, and Zeddmore? The bullshitery would have busted the PKE reader.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I'm in my late 30s. Loved the original. Loved the cartoon. (I collected the stickers.) Loved this one. The second movie occupies a sort of blind spot in my memory.

Same here. Born in '85. Enjoyed repeats of the original film and GB2 on VHS in my youth, watched the hell out of the cartoon, drank some Ecto Cooler, all a good time.

Loved the new film. Lots of fun.

When this was announced I was like okay, just have new people, new style, reboot it. Do your own thing. Which is why I was initially very worried about all the cameos, but I found them relatively modest. It didn't ever take me out of the movie like I thought it would, and several critics really oversold how often it happened-- which only contributed to my worries.

All I really ask from a reboot is that it doesn't really try and one-up the original by doing the exact same things, only trying to do them better. This movie doesn't do that. It just wants to be a different Ghostbusters, tonally, with its own style of humor and action. I know some didn't care for it, but the third act climax was something I didn't see coming and actually loved all the action and energy during it. So many crowd pleasing moments during that.

I kind of liken it to Jurassic World. For me it felt like part of the Jurassic universe, but it had a different tone and with its own crazier ideas. I think that's important when rebooting something, trying new things out and distancing yourself a little. That's why, while watching the new Ghostbusters or Jurassic World, I wasn't directly comparing them to Jurassic Park or Ghostbusters '84, and that worked out pretty well for me.

Only real difference is that Jurassic World is canon with the other films whereas this one is new. But I can kind of see the situation both were in and I get why the new Ghostbusters isn't part of the canon of the first two. Jurassic World's story worked for being set 20 years later and sure, they could have did something like that with Ghostbusters, but with Ghostbusters, I dunno. Isn't it obvious that people are being way more anal about Ghostbusters than Jurassic World? JW didn't get this kind of heat.

The thing about Ghostbusters and I've said it zillions of times is that the franchise does not exist within some bubble where only the first two movies do. It has went on to take different shapes. As long as it has the same premise, it's Ghostbusters. I wanted Ghostbusters 3 proper for the longest time, until about the early 2000's where I'm just like okay that's probably not going to happen, but I'd still like a new one if it has to be different people with a different tone.

And here we are. In many ways, I kind of prefer this one. The first movie made me a fan, but I kept being a fan beyond that with the cartoons and games and stuff. It's just a bigger thing to me than the first two movies and while I think the original is probably the better movie, watching this was like, wow here's a live action version of many things I've wanted to see in one of the movies.

Same!

I've always been more interested in the Ghostbusting than the specific humour of the first movie.

I've always been more interested in the Ghostbusting than the specific humour of the first movie.

Like okay, so, yeah the script for the original is full of memorable one-liners and great dialogue in general. I'm not even comparing this to that. But like I've said, it wasn't trying to. The way I see it is that the original Ghostbusters were made up of SNL folks during that era, and the new Ghostbusters is made up of the same ilk but from now. I think all four of the new actresses are comedic marvels, and Paul Feig/Dippold knew what they were writing and how these actresses would tackle the material.

But here's the thing. While I think, again, the original has better writing, I find this one to actually be funnier. And that's a problem for some people as the humor is way more deliberate, whereas in the original it's more of your low-key, dry kind of humor that doesn't draw attention to itself. I totally get that too. I initially thought I would have a problem with this and the trailers didn't do much to alleviate my fears, right down to the first teaser downright making me more skeptical of the damned thing than I'd ever been.

And of course by funnier I don't mean the original isn't funny, but it's more of a... giggle/smirk kind of movie whereas this one had me laughing out loud, and frequently. There's a few sour patches that I think should have been excised almost completely, but I do think this one is funnier in general-- and then you incorporate the bigger focus on the equipment, the cool new gadgets, how the ghosts look, the bigger focus on action. For me personally it's just probably the more enjoyable film, though I look forward to owning both and having the Blu-ray of the new one right next to the old one.

btw you guys have no idea how much Sony is flooding my bank account with these posts

Like okay, so, yeah the script for the original is full of memorable one-liners and great dialogue in general. I'm not even comparing this to that. But like I've said, it wasn't trying to. The way I see it is that the original Ghostbusters were made up of SNL folks during that era, and the new Ghostbusters is made up of the same ilk but from now. I think all four of the new actresses are comedic marvels, and Paul Feig/Dippold knew what they were writing and how these actresses would tackle the material.

But here's the thing. While I think, again, the original has better writing, I find this one to actually be funnier. And that's a problem for some people as the humor is way more deliberate, whereas in the original it's more of your low-key, dry kind of humor that doesn't draw attention to itself. I totally get that too. I initially thought I would have a problem with this and the trailers didn't do much to alleviate my fears, right down to the first teaser downright making me more skeptical of the damned thing than I'd ever been.

And of course by funnier I don't mean the original isn't funny, but it's more of a... giggle/smirk kind of movie whereas this one had me laughing out loud, and frequently. There's a few sour patches that I think should have been excised almost completely, but I do think this one is funnier in general-- and then you incorporate the bigger focus on the equipment, the cool new gadgets, how the ghosts look, the bigger focus on action. For me personally it's just probably the more enjoyable film, though I look forward to owning both and having the Blu-ray of the new one right next to the old one.

This literally describes my experience and views as well.

I'll also say that I find these four much more likeable and relateable than the original four other than Winston

only joke I thought felt out of place was the queef joke, tbh.

That and the middle finger gag that kept going and going. Really my only problem with the movie was that the editors let some of those jokes keep going. I think that cutting down on some of that would have been good.

I'll also say that I find these four much more likeable and relateable than the original four other than Winston

Yeah, when I compare the two ensembles, I have to say that I probably like these gals more.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned

btw you guys have no idea how much Sony is flooding my bank account with these posts

You know, you're absolutely right. The '84 Ghostbusters is no doubt an all-time classic but the more I ruminate on this film the more i realize i just straight-up enjoyed it more. The characters are more relatable, the film is more colorful, and jt just moves along at a nicer clip.

Its my favorite film of the year outside Civil War easily, and its going to be a damn shame if we don't get a follow up with this same crew.

Edit: Going for a second IMAX 3D viewing tomorrow or Tuesday, damn the ridiculous ticket prices.

You know, you're absolutely right. The '84 Ghostbusters is no doubt an all-time classic but the more I ruminate on this film the more i realize i just straight-up enjoyed it more. The characters are more relatable, the film is more colorful, and it just moves along at a nicer clip.

Can't help but agree there. I still love the original, it's still one of my favorite movies of all time as I grew up with it and it's a huge part of my childhood. I'm just not really comparing them, they're both Ghostbusters but go for different things. I just happen to maybe prefer the things this one goes for a bit more. It did things that I would've wanted a new one to do. I feel like Ghostbusters 3 proper could have also been great, but after waiting all this time I'm just like fuck it, reboot it and do it differently. They did, it turned out to be something I greatly enjoyed, so I'm down to disco.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
The most adorable thing about the movie was after it was over, I went to the restroom, and this father and his son came in after me, and they go into the stall, and the kid, around 5 or 6, was singing the Ghostbusters theme and saying "I ain't afraid of no ghosts!" over and over again.

Every one of us in the restroom couldn't help but laugh.

I was born in '79, and I remember seeing Ghostbusters on television when I was about 6 or 7, and I remember it really scaring me. It was really wonderful to see this kid loving the movie, not caring that it starred "girls," and just wanting to be a Ghostbuster. It made all of the antics of the past two or so years seem incredibly pathetic. To think that there are going to be a bunch of new fans of Ghostbusters makes me happy. Doesn't matter to me if their GB '84, or GB 2016 fans. I'm happy that a franchise I love still has new life.

Ghostbusters should be as timeless as Scooby Doo, and Ninja Turtles. Where any generation can call an iteration of it their own.

Krejlooc

Banned
Ghostbusters should be as timeless as Scooby Doo, and Ninja Turtles. Where any generation can call an iteration of it their own.

I realized after seeing so much of the backlash being centered on keeping Ghostbusters canon hard and steady that I've viewed the franchise much differently than most. I think a big part of that is because - to a larger degree than I see most people online say - the ghostbusters video game was a huge part of the ghostbusters hype for me. I got the ghostbusters video game because I was a big fan of the movie, and, contrary to the opinions of those who had to live with the NES version, I adored the SMS version. It was one of my favorite sega master system games.

The game is not the movie, it follows a loose adaptation of it, but it always felt like a separate thing to me, because of the way, for example, the actual ghostbusters were nameless and faceless and expendable, and you constantly recruited new ones. In the same way, I always viewed the cartoon as some other entity from the movies as well, largely because egon was blond (lol kid logic).

So to me, it was easy to accept a new ghostbusters that wasn't in line with the original continuity, much like I can accept batman 1989 and the chris nolan trilogy as well.

pompidu

Just watched the angry Joe review on this. He tears this movie apart. I usually on the same page as him so I'm glad I'm skipping this. But man he did not like it at all.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
That's one of my go-go Movie reviewers not reviewing it, although she did say it'll be forgotten in two months, guess that says it all
Now to see what the Magnus has to say now.
Just watched the angry Joe review on this. He tears this movie apart. I usually on the same page as him so I'm glad I'm skipping this. But man he did not like it at all.
Boogie didn't either.

FaintDeftone

I normally like Angry Joe, but I completely disagree with him here and I feel like he's picking on the film for dumb reasons.

I saw the movie this weekend. Grew up with the movies just like all of us. I really enjoyed it. It's a Ghostbusters movie. It was fine. I even laughed at the queef joke. *shrug*

Lothar

Banned
Not exactly a review, but Comic Book Girl posted a video about the shenanigans surrounded this film.

Good video. I don't think anyone can really argue with her when she says she agrees with everything Rolfe says and the reason he got fucked over for his video and she didn't was because she's a woman. It's telling about the controversy.

She also talks about the witchhunts for people giving negative reviews. It's a real thing she backs up with a video of Roeper responding to being called a sexist. That could absolutely be a factor in people not wanting to give too low of a rating.

Great video, really highlights how silly the whole ordeal is.

Yeah because god knows when I dislike a movie that a lot of other people didn't my go to is to just say they were all scared of the backlash.

She downplays the role sexism has played since day one and then proclaims that it's just reboot backlash.

Nevermind that it made more money than either Dredd or Robocop remakes.

She didn't like it that's fine, it was clear from literally all her coverage that she was never going to.

But to play the stupid everyone who did like it only did so because they didn't want to get harassed.... come on.

Jazzem

Yes.

-New cast
-Modified backstory (it seems Max now had a daughter instead of a son)

Mad Max is in kind of a grey area, especially since it still has the original director involved. If it does count as a remake though, it's the best one ever made by several light years :D

EDIT: Ooh forgot about Dredd, that would be up there too. Though again that may be a little fuzzy, since it's more like a second attempt at an adaptation. So sad that it failed at the box office :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom