• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost of Tsushima vs. The Witcher 3

Vote for your Game Of The Generation!

• Ghost of Tsushima

Votes: 201 38.4%
  • The Witcher 3

Votes: 323 61.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mhmmm 2077

And the multiplatform game +100% from Xbox and PC only gamers, just like you in every single one of these pools.
Funny, cus I own a PS4, not an Xbox One - though I mainly game on PC, that's a fact. And about the "+50%" it was a joke, but it sure feels like that sometimes in these polls. I honestly think that The Witcher 3 is the best game I have ever played.

Vick

Funny, cus I own a PS4, not an Xbox One - though I mainly game on PC, that's a fact.
And that’s perfection, i just thought it was funny you found every single PS exclusive not worthy of winning pools, and called God of War a movie even if Witcher 3 is a more Narrative driven experience, had a 10th of the depth in gameplay mechanics, and a more linear exploration despite it’s size.

I honestly think that The Witcher 3 is the best game I have ever played.
Hard to disagree. As i said multiple times, colossal masterpiece.

GreyHorace

Is the general opinion about the combat of the game being sooo bad, hyperbole?

I didn't find the combat bad at all. That's not to say I find it fantastic, but not that bad.

I'm of the same opinion as well. The Witcher 3's combat is not as bad as people say, and I found it completely servicable. But after playing Ghost of Tsushima, I can definitely see the flaws.

Like parrying. Parrying in TW3 absolutely sucks and you're much better off dodging and using Geralt's Signs which I think the combat was tailored around. TW3 also lacks a guard break system that GoT makes a core part of it's combat, much like Sekiro.

Had CDProjektRed refined the combat more I would definitely vote in favor of TW3. But I know which title kept me engaged with it's fun gameplay mechanics.

Last edited:
I'm curious what games you feel were influenced by the Witcher 3?
Not games, but people. The Witcher 3 in this generation was a case of study for every developer working on an open world game and on open world game design, it's one of those games that just can't be ignored.
You can easily tell when a game borrow a game mechanic when someone makes it famous, but it's not the only way where a production can be a landmark in the game industry.

bender

What time is it?
Not games, but people. The Witcher 3 in this generation was a case of study for every developer working on an open world game and on open world game design, it's one of those games that just can't be ignored.
You can easily tell when a game borrow a game mechanic when someone makes it famous, but it's not the only way where a production can be a landmark in the game industry.

Thanks for the response. Pushing a bit further but what do you think Witcher 3 added to open world design that will be influential?

GOT Is great but the Witcher 3 is next level. How epic is TW3? I purchased it for Xbox, Playstation, PC, Switch. The only other games I have done multi purchases for are RE:4, Diablo 3 and The Evil Within.

MadYarpen

I have a feeling the only appropriate end of this tournament would be the Witcher - bloodborne final. To bad they'll meet earlier...

Thanks for the response. Pushing a bit further but what do you think Witcher 3 added to open world design that will be influential?
It's an interesting discussion. I think that for example the quest design is really worth of studying, the way they handled npcs routines through an action point system, all the non-written communication with the player, the way they integrated the economic system within the game, or the integration between orienteering, level and map design, user interface. Also a lot of quality of life ideas like autopilot, the sort of autoassist near obstacles, configuration options.
There is so much to actually consider and study, even basic things, just see the way they handled them and how they integrated and connected together. They are giants on things that are invisible for the player, but when you put everything together you have a fundamental piece of software.
Btw, since english it's not my first language I'm sorry if maybe I don't write a lot, I hope to give at last an idea of what I'm thinking about.

bender

What time is it?
It's an interesting discussion. I think that for example the quest design is really worth of studying, the way they handled npcs routines through an action point system, all the non-written communication with the player, the way they integrated the economic system within the game, or the integration between orienteering, level and map design, user interface. Also a lot of quality of life ideas like autopilot, the sort of autoassist near obstacles, configuration options.
There is so much to actually consider and study, even basic things, just see the way they handled them and how they integrated and connected together. They are giants on things that are invisible for the player, but when you put everything together you have a fundamental piece of software.
Btw, since english it's not my first language I'm sorry if maybe I don't write a lot, I hope to give at last an idea of what I'm thinking about.

Your English is great and I appreciate the answer. I love hearing differing of perspectives than my own.

BlackGauna

I really liked The Witcher 3 but could never finish it. It is cool that you have so much to do in the world. I really liked the treasure hunts for new equipments for example.
But on the other hand there was too much to do in the world.

GoT is more condensed, almost as if they took The Witcher, stripped it down to the essentials, end polished those parts, like the fighting and traversal. The result may be smaller in scope, but way more fun, imo.

Your English is great and I appreciate the answer. I love hearing differing of perspectives than my own.
Thanks. I can recommend an interesting article by Philippe Weber (basically a guy former selfmade mod designer, now senior quest designer on Cyberpunk, kudos to him) on his quest design approach
(I hope the link/source are fine)

I don't know if there are essays on The Witcher 3 design, they would be a very interesting read.

Chun Swae

Banned
Honestly it's not even comparable. The quest design in Witcher 3 is some of if not the best in the industry. I get sidetracked for hours doing the side quests and branching stories while i haven't found the story in ghosts interesting enough to finish.

bender

What time is it?
What ass creed 'try' to do on narration in odyssey is a witcher 3 consequence

Witcher certainly elevates narrative in open world games. And they may have added QOL to certain mechanics, but from an open world design, it reminds me a lot of Ubisoft games and being afraid to allow a user to get lost or miss out on content.

martino

Honestly it's not even comparable. The quest design in Witcher 3 is some of if not the best in the industry. I get sidetracked for hours doing the side quests and branching stories while i haven't found the story in ghosts interesting enough to finish.
they missed something with the duality honnor/ghost...
they had something to make the world dynamic and react to how you play. this would have make immersion skyrocketing...but no, they did rockstar mission design to force you to play in some ways and the story choose for you what way you follow at some point.
i was playing full honor. it was already difficult to do the missions forcing me to play how i didn't want to. but forcing a way onto me which is incoherent with how i play most of the time help even less...there was so much more to do with that.
the game still has spot on art direction (not in daylight though) and combat is really satisfying.

Last edited:

drganon

Witcher 3. The one thing I liked more about ghost of tsushima more than the witcher would be the combat. Everything else though, I have to go with the witcher 3.

Silent Duck

I chose Ghost of Tsushima because it is fresh in my mind.
Then I remember the Bloody Baron quest and regret my choice.
Then I remember Witcher 3's meh combat and feel good about my choice.
Then I remember how awesome the world of Witcher 3 was and regret my choice again. Then I play GoT and feel good again.
Thanks poll, you put me on an emotional roller coaster I can't escape from.

qPFElMR.jpg

.Pennywise

Banned
Witcher certainly elevates narrative in open world games. And they may have added QOL to certain mechanics, but from an open world design, it reminds me a lot of Ubisoft games and being afraid to allow a user to get lost or miss out on content.
Witcher 3 doesn't give you any clue on most side content. The first thing you do when starting the game is going to options and deactivate the '?'s in the map and you're done.

CrysisFreak

Banned
I understand why people roll with Witcher.
I finished the game 3 times myself.
But my god is the combat trash.
I think the finisher animations on humans are literally the most satisfying thing about it lmao.

I didn't find the combat bad at all. That's not to say I find it fantastic, but not that bad.

The combat is generally great, it's fun and varied, and i enjoyed it. But there are a couple of issues; The lock on mechanic and the animations which combined make it not conform to what you expect, sort of sluggish especially coming from Dark Souls. There are a number of mods which fix the issue. Also, the Playstation 4 port is poor, and the Switch version is abysmal, so if you haven't had access to the PC version those two issues i mentioned would be magnified quite a bit because of the piss framerate.

Yes, generally speaking, people saying that it's bad is short sighted bullshit.

Mozzarella

W3 is one of the most overrated games ever. Combat is fucking dogshit lmao.

Can you explain why its "fucking dogshit lmao"?
Keep in mind im not asking you to say why its not the best or why its not great, all im asking is what is so bad about it that you cant even consider it decent/mediocre?

I like Witcher 3, but I can't support that trash combat.
What did you hate about the combat?

Easy.

Witcher 3.

Terrible combat, but this game defined current gen. Hands down best AA(A) RPG we had this gen.
Why the combat is terrible? mind giving some reasons? why its not decent? what makes it so bad? Compared to what games? open world rpg games? how bad you have found it to be?

I voted W3...I liked GoT a lot, but despite the crackhead awful Witcher 3's combat, it has way better questing and overall rpg thingies. Game is stupidly long too while not recurring to boring tasks.
How its awful? can you explain?

Yes it is definitely hyperbole, most people cant even explain their reasons properly and even if they did you will come to conclude that the final verdict is going to be 4-6 which reads Mediocre-Serviceable/Average-Decent.
Thats taking all account of the flaws.

I'm curious what games you feel were influenced by the Witcher 3?
Most open world games post 2015, the very game we compare it to in this topic, Ghost of Tsushima.
The influence is felt from the general atmosphere of the games, the protagonist vibes riding on a horse, stumbling upon villages and npc and tackling their side stories, and to make it more accurate its less of direct influence and more of a gold standard for comparison, for some reason, every new open world game and especially ARPG is being compared and will be (in the future) to Witcher 3.

I understand why people roll with Witcher.
I finished the game 3 times myself.
But my god is the combat trash.
I think the finisher animations on humans are literally the most satisfying thing about it lmao.

Would you mind explaining why its "trash"?

I think most people who are saying its combat is trash never played the game more than few hours, probably just gave up on it early, since the game is overwhelming at first and its a bit slow paced. For someone who is into action fast paced games its going to be hard to continue playing without liking the world and its story and characters.
Unfortunate, as the game itself peaks at the DLC, the combat and the story is at its best during the two expansions, better boss fights and the fighting becomes interesting because you unlock many different abilities and tools. I found the combat to be fun during that moment, at the beginning though, its fairly serviceable. However late game DLC combat is good in my book.

Also why its bad/trash/awful? why these extreme judgmental words? I dont get it, the game never claims to give you any playable class other than a Witcher, so criticizing the game lack of weapons or classes is invalid. Also to add the player has many tools, can dodge with 2 different methods, can parry, you can apply buffs, critical hits, enchantments, you unlock movesets (although not enough) you have bombs, potions, decoctions, signs that can change abilities based on what you unlock, the variety is there, and boss fights are decent as well, main game is ehh..decent, DLC boss fights are head and shoulders above it and their attack patterns are much better.
Ofcourse there are certain flaws here like lack of different swords with unique abilities for example, or having more moveset animation, or giving the player the freedom to attack in any direction they want, but aside from those minor flaws i dont see whats so bad about it? seems over-exaggeration to me, i have yet to see some convincing critique about it. Its nowhere near bad or awful imo, especially for its genre (the open world story driven rpg) I think its better than Dragon Age or Elder Scrolls, AC, HZD, for example.

Last edited:

Fake

Everything. Using stamina for magic? Fixed camera to assists enemies to backstab you? You can jump while in the combat? Food are useless? Wolfs > Bear?

I always back to the game because the Blood Baron arc is the best story in a video game ever made, with also contains the best boss of the game.

CrysisFreak

Banned
Keep in mind im not asking you to say why its not the best or why its not great, all im asking is what is so bad about it that you cant even consider it decent/mediocre?

Why the combat is terrible? mind giving some reasons? why its not decent? what makes it so bad? Compared to what games? open world rpg games? how bad you have found it to be?

Yes it is definitely hyperbole, most people cant even explain their reasons properly and even if they did you will come to conclude that the final verdict is going to be 4-6 which reads Mediocre-Serviceable/Average-Decent.

Most open world games post 2015, the very game we compare it to in this topic, Ghost of Tsushima.
The influence is felt from the general atmosphere of the games, the protagonist vibes riding on a horse, stumbling upon villages and npc and tackling their side stories, and to make it more accurate its less of direct influence and more of a gold standard for comparison, for some reason, every new open world game and especially ARPG is being compared and will be (in the future) to Witcher 3.

I think most people who are saying its combat is trash never played the game more than few hours, probably just gave up on it early, since the game is overwhelming at first and its a bit slow paced. For someone who is into action fast paced games its going to be hard to continue playing without liking the world and its story and characters.
Unfortunate, as the game itself peaks at the DLC, the combat and the story is at its best during the two expansions, better boss fights and the fighting becomes interesting because you unlock many different abilities and tools. I found the combat to be fun during that moment, at the beginning though, its fairly serviceable. However late game DLC combat is good in my book.

Also why its bad/trash/awful? why these extreme judgmental words? I dont get it, the game never claims to give you any playable class other than a Witcher, so criticizing the game lack of weapons or classes is invalid. Also to add the player has many tools, can dodge with 2 different methods, can parry, you can apply buffs, critical hits, enchantments, you unlock movesets (although not enough) you have bombs, potions, decoctions, signs that can change abilities based on what you unlock, the variety is there, and boss fights are decent as well, main game is ehh..decent, DLC boss fights are head and shoulders above it and their attack patterns are much better.
Ofcourse there are certain flaws here like lack of different swords with unique abilities for example, or having more moveset animation, or giving the player the freedom to attack in any direction they want, but aside from those minor flaws i dont see whats so bad about it? seems over-exaggeration to me, i have yet to see some convincing critique about it. Its nowhere near bad or awful imo, especially for its genre (the open world story driven rpg) I think its better than Dragon Age or Elder Scrolls, AC, HZD, for example.
Simple:
Not all attack animations are equally long, sometimes Geralt decides to do some pirouettes and sometimes he doesn't.
This one factor alone makes the combat trash.
If any other game had the same thing I'd call them trash too.
It is unacceptable, a literal failure at step 1 of "combat systems for dummies"
Should've given it to Platinum.

Keihart

Yes i can, the combat in Witcher 3 it's sloggy if we focus on parries and dodges, signs are cumbersome to set up while not being really all that rewarding to use and the biggest sin off all are the thematic skills like oils and potions, the game sells you all this thing about Witchers having to prepare for a battle when in reality you just pop whatever mid fight making meditation really not all that enticing.
The ideas are there, but combat was obviously not a big focus on development or maybe too ambitious for what the were actually able to achieve, the questing, dialog system for acting the voice lines and the way the terrain was built are way more interesting and completed concepts than the combat was.

I played the game on deathmarch, the game felt pretty stupid combat wise in normal.

Last edited:

Mozzarella

Everything. Using stamina for magic? Fixed camera to assists enemies to backstab you? You can jump while in the combat? Food are useless? Wolfs > Bear?

I always back to the game because the Blood Baron arc is the best story in a video game ever made, with also contains the best boss of the game.
I still dont get your point!
Using stamina for magic seems logical, i mean you do concentrate and spend focus energy when doing magical attacks, right?
What do you mean about fixed camera? the game is not hard anyway, can you explain this issue further?
As for jumping i see it can be limited or annoying if you cant jump, but i dont think it was essential to jump, where did you think it was essential to jump to defeat the enemy? i agree its annoying that combat stance prevent you from jumping so you are stuck with either fighting or fleeing, but you could manually put the sword down and run.
Foods regen HP, i dont think its useless, but its not important as well, its just there for the realism sake, how is this related to combat btw??
Wolf is weaker than a bear but as a group they are more dangerous, whats the problem? Also i hate the wolves pack fighting, its not that i like them, easily one of the worst enemy type in the game, but thanks to Aard's CC they are easy to deal with.

Yes Bloody Baron arc is amazing, I loved it, but i like the two expansion more, the Olgierd story and Vampire, they have equal quality writing/atmosphere and better gameplay/boss-fights. Have you played them?

Mozzarella

Simple:
Not all attack animations are equally long, sometimes Geralt decides to do some pirouettes and sometimes he doesn't.
This one factor alone makes the combat trash.
If any other game had the same thing I'd call them trash too.
It is unacceptable, a literal failure at step 1 of "combat systems for dummies"
Should've given it to Platinum.
Wow, my friend you really hate that part. I mean i addressed this issue in my main post above, so im not gonna debate something i agree as a valid issue, but i could never agree that it breaks the combat as a whole, for me its just a minor annoyance, nothing more, not enough to deem the combat as trash or terrible. Didnt expect that a single issue like that in a fairly easy game would be such a put off. LOL. This is equivalent to saying, "the story is shit because i didnt like the ending".

Yes i can, the combat in Witcher 3 it's sloggy if we focus on parries and dodges, signs are cumbersome to set up while not being really all that rewarding to use and the biggest sin off all are the thematic skills like oils and potions, the game sells you all this thing about Witchers having to prepare for a battle when in reality you just pop whatever mid fight making meditation really not all that enticing.
The ideas are there, but combat was obviously not a big focus on development or maybe too ambitious for what the were actually able to achieve, the questing, dialog system for acting the voice lines and the way the terrain was built are way more interesting and completed concepts than the combat was.

I played the game on deathmarch, the game felt pretty stupid combat wise in normal.
You mean unresponsive? you have to practice the iframes dodges, there is certain timing you can perform them successfully each time, its trick but you need to sorta "calm" geralt in order to do it, doing it after attacking is not ideal and sets you up to take hits.
The point about "game not forcing you to use Witcher tools" is valid, i resort to playing on high difficulty because playing on normal or easy you will never feel the need to use them, as you can just kill anything via spamming attack. It also works on higher difficulty but its a bit challenging to pull it off, better use the witcher tools to make it easier there. I think most people just spam light attacks and dodge with occasional quen and never bother to try different stuff in the combat, thats why it will feel repetitive after 100+ hours, but if you try out the different tools its much more enjoyable, i would say this one is partially the game faults for not forcing players to do it, but mostly its the player fault themselves because they are not willing to try different things. Its kinda like spamming R1 and dodge behind bigger bosses in Soulsborne games, the game has many weapons and builds and different combos but most players will just spam R1 and dodge behind the boss anyway. Or they will parry smaller bosses to death, im guilty of that, i parried Gwyn few times in a row and he was dead, very disappointing boss fight, as it was easy to parry him and keep spamming it until the boss died, but ofcourse i can approach the fight from a different angle and force myself to use different tactics other than the most efficient and easy one, will surely make the fight more enjoyable.

bender

What time is it?
Witcher 3 doesn't give you any clue on most side content. The first thing you do when starting the game is going to options and deactivate the '?'s in the map and you're done.

And the game isn't written to give you clues to that side content. It's dependent on the map GPS. It's why it's the default option. Most every game does this.

Red Dead Redemption had those neat treasure maps that just had drawn landmarks as clues. Breath of the Wild had a mission or two that just gave the player written/dialog clues as to the destination. Morrowind is the last game I remember that didn't rely on an in game map littered with destination points. It even had unreliable directions from quest givers. That was probably an error on their part but how fucking cool is that? You have these open worlds where the draw should be exploration and every game is afraid to let their players get lost or miss content. It's a complete waste.

Last edited:

Vick

Witcher 3.

Any other answer is pure fanboism for Sony exclusives. Im not kidding.

The Bloody Barron quest alone is better than any full length story driven game ever released.

Yes this post sounds like fanboism itself, but it’s true. Fight me.
What about people who put gameplay first?

I mean, i played more of GoT today and combat is insanely deep, overwhelming even. And outside of combat you can perform many more actions while playing. They also made sure to make everything shared beetween the two games feel more responsive/intuitive/better looking. It’s imo the only free roam on the market with environments as beautiful as Witcher 3 even.. i’m starting to undestand people voting for GoT.

P.S. Bloody Baron is overrated, Towerful of Mice is where the real magic happens. Should be a fucking movie.

BlackM1st

Banned

Looks like we found a CDPR combat engineer account.

Keihart

Wow, my friend you really hate that part. I mean i addressed this issue in my main post above, so im not gonna debate something i agree as a valid issue, but i could never agree that it breaks the combat as a whole, for me its just a minor annoyance, nothing more, not enough to deem the combat as trash or terrible. Didnt expect that a single issue like that in a fairly easy game would be such a put off. LOL. This is equivalent to saying, "the story is shit because i didnt like the ending".

You mean unresponsive? you have to practice the iframes dodges, there is certain timing you can perform them successfully each time, its trick but you need to sorta "calm" geralt in order to do it, doing it after attacking is not ideal and sets you up to take hits.
The point about "game not forcing you to use Witcher tools" is valid, i resort to playing on high difficulty because playing on normal or easy you will never feel the need to use them, as you can just kill anything via spamming attack. It also works on higher difficulty but its a bit challenging to pull it off, better use the witcher tools to make it easier there. I think most people just spam light attacks and dodge with occasional quen and never bother to try different stuff in the combat, thats why it will feel repetitive after 100+ hours, but if you try out the different tools its much more enjoyable, i would say this one is partially the game faults for not forcing players to do it, but mostly its the player fault themselves because they are not willing to try different things. Its kinda like spamming R1 and dodge behind bigger bosses in Soulsborne games, the game has many weapons and builds and different combos but most players will just spam R1 and dodge behind the boss anyway. Or they will parry smaller bosses to death, im guilty of that, i parried Gwyn few times in a row and he was dead, very disappointing boss fight, as it was easy to parry him and keep spamming it until the boss died, but ofcourse i can approach the fight from a different angle and force myself to use different tactics other than the most efficient and easy one, will surely make the fight more enjoyable.
I say sluggish as in the animations have too much priority when blending and more often than not the time between them it's not consistent making it feel "sluggish", there was even a patch short after release to address this because it's not just in combat but even when walking. Kinda like the rockstar sluggishness that they attribute to the euphoria engine. I had not much problem with the difficulty in the game, but the combat is anything but good. Not because the style it's not of my choice only, but because there are implementation and design choices that don't work.
The sluggishness it's obviously not intentional (you can have attacks with long animations if they are consistent like Monster Hunter and Souls series) and the witcher tools not playing a bigger role, it's a design flaw not simply a player not experimenting. I used every trick in the book triying to roleplay a little more, but it felt very shallow because of the design. Preparation before battles should've of been a bigger part of combat to make witcher tools more interesting.

Last edited:

.Pennywise

Banned
And the game isn't written to give you clues to that side content. It's dependent on the map GPS. It's why it's the default option. Most every game does this.

Red Dead Redemption had those neat treasure maps that just had drawn landmarks as clues. Breath of the Wild had a mission or two that just gave the player written/dialog clues as to the destination. Morrowind is the last game I remember that didn't rely on an in game map littered with destination points. It even had unreliable directions from quest givers. That was probably an error on their part but how fucking cool is that? You have these open worlds where the draw should be exploration and every game is afraid to let their players get lost or miss content. It's a complete waste.
Nope. You're dead wrong on this one buddy.

There are the ones that clearly step in your way while you're doing your main quest, e.g. when you need to go from point A to point B and you stumble upon a side quest in the middle of the road. Other's comes off from dialogues from the main quest or by dialoguing to the peasants. Others have really clear visual clues. Others from writings on the books you buy. Others by simply exploring (only these could be catologued under the "GPS dependant" category).

I think you should replay the game and pay more attention to the world surrounding you.

Give it a shot when the next-gen update comes out.

Top Bottom