• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Genki Daisenryaku PSP Screens (military strategy)

neptunes

http://www.genki.co.jp/games/strategy/

doklxl.jpg

dokltk.jpg

01_03.jpg

Graphics look kinda bad, delete if old.

Andy787

Banned
I think think it looks good. Looks very Advance Wars-ish on the map, Front Mission-ish during attacks. If the gameplay is there, I'm interested.

Andy787

Banned
Hmm, if you check the actual site, the full-size screens in the PSP boarder look much, much better. I really like the look of this. It's like PSP Advance Wars, and I love me some Advance Wars.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
this series is actually about as old as famicom wars, and much more sophisticated. so no, it's not "an advance wars ripoff." but they do seem to have borrowed the aw color palette for the map screen.

Tony HoTT

Banned
I'm imagining load times inbetween battle scenes. I want that Nobunaga's Ambition shit in the U.S. for my overly deep strategy fix!

Andy787 said:
It's like PSP Advance Wars, and I love me some Advance Wars.
Let's not start this shit again, otherwise we'll get a torrent of AW fanbois screaming, "It's too hard. Wah wah!" like after the Xbox version. It's turn-based and is based on modern military. The similarity ends there. There's no storyline, no CO Powers, no Rock/Paper/Scissors strategy, no 12 different units. This is a strategy wonk's game, for the better.

If you love the strategy part of AW, FE, FFT, but dislike the simplicity and/or setting, this is the game for you. If you're a graphics whore or a anime fanboi, give it a pass.

Squirrel Killer said:
Let's not start this shit again, otherwise we'll get a torrent of AW fanbois screaming, "It's too hard. Wah wah!" like after the Xbox version. It's turn-based and is based on modern military. The similarity ends there. There's no storyline, no CO Powers, no Rock/Paper/Scissors strategy, no 12 different units. This is a strategy wonk's game, for the better.

If you love the strategy part of AW, FE, FFT, but dislike the simplicity and/or setting, this is the game for you. If you're a graphics whore or a anime fanboi, give it a pass.

Its not that hard...

jarrod

Banned
Squirrel Killer said:
You're right, it's not. But as I recall, the AW fans wouldn't shut up about how hard the Xbox version was.
Which AW fans were those? Can I get a name? Just one?

jarrod said:
Which AW fans were those? Can I get a name? Just one?
No.

That was just the impression I got when it came out. I clearly recall reading responses from people who claimed to be AW fans complaining about the difficulty of Dai Senryaku VII. I'm not going to spend 20 minutes searching for examples, it's not like this a hearing for a Supreme Court Chief Justice. If you don't believe me, no sweat off my back.

jarrod

Banned
Squirrel Killer said:
No.

That was just the impression I got when it came out. I clearly recall reading responses from people who claimed to be AW fans complaining about the difficulty of Dai Senryaku VII. I'm not going to spend 20 minutes searching for examples, it's not like this a hearing for a Supreme Court Chief Justice. If you don't believe me, no sweat off my back.
Your "impressions" are clearly full of shit.

Musashi Wins! said:
Take that garbage fight out of here! This is AWESOME!
Sorry, Guth... if it makes you feel any better I was *this* close to buying an Xbox just for DS7. I bought the game anyway actually, I hope it works on 360. :(

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
Squirrel Killer said:
You clearly win. Buy yourself a cookie.
You see Jarrod, you can't win an argument like this. I don't remember one so called AW fan on this board complaining about difficulty, but when you call someone out on a perceived lie, this is the response you get. </garbage>

olubode said:
You see Jarrod, you can't win an argument like this. I don't remember one so called AW fan on this board complaining about difficulty, but when you call someone out on a perceived lie, this is the response you get. </garbage>
Wow, you win too. Clearly, no AW fans ever complained about the difficulty of Dai Senryaku. We're going to run out of cookies soon. </rolleyes>

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
Anyhow, I didn't have a box when the first one came out. What was the name of the game Daisenryaku 7 or something? I wonder if I should get this game for psp or the xbox version?

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
olubode said:
Anyhow, I didn't have a box when the first one came out. What was the name of the game Daisenryaku 7 or something? I wonder if I should get this game for psp or the xbox version?

The xbox one is very cheap. To be honest, I'd rather have a handheld version given that they didn't utilize any LIVE features on xbox. Still, it's a great game. If you enjoy the series it's worth playing wherever it's convenient.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
Musashi Wins! said:
The xbox one is very cheap. To be honest, I'd rather have a handheld version given that they didn't utilize any LIVE features on xbox. Still, it's a great game. If you enjoy the series it's worth playing wherever it's convenient.
WTF? No Live features?

PSP for the win then.

jarrod

Banned
olubode said:
Get the Xbox one, it's in english. Or if you can find it, just get Iron Storm for Saturn. :)

I wouldn't mind if SEGA or someone decided to bring over the recent PS2/PSP Diasen games though.

Who in their right mind judges this type of game based on its graphics?

Is it balanced? How many missions and scenarios does it have? Does it support ad-hoc or internet play? These are the real questions.

It can look like freaking Conflict on the NES and if it plays well, I will buy it.

olubode said:
For $20, if you like strategy games, it's hard to go wrong with the Xbox version.

olubode said:
WTF? No Live features?
Live is overrated for this game. There's more than enough content to keep all but the most die hard players satisfied, and waiting for the other player to finish his turn would get old quickly. Now if they had a PBEM-like service on Live, that'd be nice, but I don't think Live is set up for that type of play.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Squirrel Killer said:
Live is overrated for this game. There's more than enough content to keep all but the most die hard players satisfied, and waiting for the other player to finish his turn would get old quickly. Now if they had a PBEM-like service on Live, that'd be nice, but I don't think Live is set up for that type of play.

I don't disagree. I mostly wanted it for map swapping, etc.

pj

Banned
Why the crap is this on psp? DS would be wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy better for this type of game

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
pj325is said:
Why the crap is this on psp? DS would be wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy better for this type of game

I don't know. But I don't know if I agree with your assessment either, personally I'm finding the stylus control to not be that useful ergonomically. It's much nicer using the buttons in AW for instance. So I'm thinking I'd prefer screen space.

Tain

Is it balanced? How many missions and scenarios does it have? Does it support ad-hoc or internet play? These are the real questions.

It can look like freaking Conflict on the NES and if it plays well, I will buy it.

I stopped playing VII because it was the most personality-devoid game I've seen on a console in years.

Iron Storm (which Daisenryaku was that again?) was a completely different story.

belgurdo

Banned
pj325is said:

Please elaborate. I really want to hear this

pj

Banned
The touch screen control would be a minor addition but the big thing would be a screen dedicated to stats. I have dai senryaku on xbox and it was a pain in the ass to have to click on a unit and bring up its stats screen to make sure it was the one I wanted. (transport, supply, bombers, long range, etc). Although that may be less of a problem now that things actually have textures, I sill doubt I'll be able to memorize the capabilities of hundreds of units.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
The PSP has a higher resolution screen than the two DS screens combined. If they wanted to put the stats up on screen simultaneously with viewing field units, they'd have more room to do it than they would on the DS. So this is just a design decision on the developer's part to not split the screen, for whatever reason.

xexex

Banned
this looks good, and it looks more like Military Madness / Nectaris than any other Daisenryakyu game that ive seen.

now all we need are some games that are like Herzog Zwei

Bebpo

Banned
Ignatz Mouse said:

It does support ad-hoc and has 300+ units. I wrote short summary of the press release at 1up if you're interested though it's not a ton of info. http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3143605

pj

Banned
kaching said:
The PSP has a higher resolution screen than the two DS screens combined. If they wanted to put the stats up on screen simultaneously with viewing field units, they'd have more room to do it than they would on the DS. So this is just a design decision on the developer's part to not split the screen, for whatever reason.

Probably because most people would be like "wtf why doesn't this take up the whole screen?"

Top Bottom