• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaming-related articles @ Slate, MSNBC

Teddman

BuckRobotron said:
Poking around the politically-minded sites, Slate happened to have a videogame-related article as well yesterday. As does MSNBC today.

The Gaming Greybeards

When gamers become parents (MSNBC)
Heh, I found myself identifying with the two thirtysomethings on Xbox Live:
As for me, I completely understand the appeal of these games—it's just that I suck at them and I'll never get any better. Having a job and/or girlfriend means not having the endless hours required to learn all the maps, determine which weapons work best in which situations, and so forth.
This is why I buy any online game I'm really interested in on day one, and usually I'm done playing it within a month. Gotta get in while everyone's on a level playing field, because I don't have time to "practice" and keep up with the Joneses.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
From the first article:
I sent a "friend request" to a player who was particularly generous with advice. I immediately felt creepy upon realizing that I, a 30-year-old man, had just asked a 14-year-old boy to "be my friend." On the Internet, no one knows you're a dog. But it's also true that no one knows you're not a pedophile.

Seth: You're not a pedophile?
:lol

Teddman said:
Heh, I found myself identifying with the two thirtysomethings on Xbox Live:This is why I buy any online game I'm really interested in on day one, and usually I'm done playing it within a month. Gotta get in while everyone's on a level playing field, because I don't have time to "practice" and keep up with the Joneses.

Same here. A lot of "greybeards" haven't lost skill, they've lost "at-will" free time. I realized this a few years back after blowing a couple nights and being late for work just to win one Vanishing Point (Dreamcast) tournament back when, against these 2 kids who seemingly sat up 24/7 to try to deny me the win.... :lol

antipode

I totally agree with Slate that online games (especially those with voice) need the ability to group by age... what is the reason why companies don't that? It seems like a win/win scenario.

Top Bottom