• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameSpot: You Should Play More 6/10 Games

Robb

Gold Member
Sure thing GameSpot, just start rating all games 6/10 from now on and I’m sure I’ll be playing a lot more of them.
Think About It GIF by Identity

MarkMe2525

I have been going through the 3ds library and I have been mightily surprised at how much fun some of these mid rated games are. In many cases, better than your review pleasing 8's. Guess it shows you how much if this is subjective.

I've had similar experience with the GBA library. I played every game for at least 10 minutes so that I could find hidden gems.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
I enjoy the AA games. the 'C-level' games. 4-7 rated games. Indies, 'eurojank' games. New IP's that haven't been fully fleshed out yet. It's all good. Lots of hidden gems.

Back when magazines were how you read reviews, it seemed reviewers used the entire 10 point scale. I remember loads of games in magazines like EGM got 6’s or 7’s, sometimes even 5’s from one of the reviewers and I’d still be excited. Because a 6 back then was still a good game, just flawed. Now it seems like even a score in the high 70’s is trash tier to most people and not worth their time. Reviewers only seem to use around 70% of the 100 point score range.

I don’t get why people are tying this to GamePass as if all the games in the service score 6’s or lower. Most of them score quite well. I predicted people would conveniently forget that right before Redfall we got HiFi Rush (87) and AoE2 DE (86) on Series X. Ghostwire Tokyo (82), Immortality (88), Pentiment (86), Persona 5 (94), Plague Tale (85), Deathloop (89) Wo Long (79), plus a lot more since September or so of last year. Wtf are some of you talking about 😆

In a way the dude in the video, and by extension his fellow gaming journalist colleagues, are at fault for this hesitation. The average gamer views anything below 8/10 as "tainted" or even down right "unplayable". That's how skewed the perception is.

Most will categorically refuse to even glance at a game that sits at anything below 7/10. And that's even if the concept might remotely appeal to them.

Last edited:

stn

I'll play a 6/10 game as long as it looks interesting. I bought Wanted: Dead, for example, because I love action games. And its definitely better than a 6/10 (though I understand the criticism for the game).

kyussman

If I want to start playing more 6/10 games I'll grab an XSX and a GamePass sub.......but right now I'm good,thanks anyway.

AmuroChan

If these are the types of articles that gaming "journalists" are writing, then these gaming outlets can't die soon enough. Does GameSpot really think they're so important and relevant that we should play games based on their review scale? A 6/10 game is different for everyone. I've played plenty of games that were 6/10 in my opinion but certainly not 6/10 according to various gaming outlets.

StereoVsn

My issue is that there are so many games, TV shows, books, and other content out there that taking time/effort on mediocre (not necessarily bad) games seems like a waste.

My library (it's not a backlog 😉) stretches back decades and new good to great games (and other media) are released on almost daily basis. Why would I spend the time on a 6/10 games (with a few exceptions in certain genres)?

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Why would anyone pay $70 for a 6/10 rated game? Should gamers subsidize studios that create mediocre games?

Laptop1991

No, they are rated 6 because they arn't that good, that's if they even work properly, i want to play really good games that i enjoy more, like i mostly always have.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Conveniently timed video that's put out shortly after Redfall's release. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Also, we play those all the time because most games these days are trash, with an actual good game only coming out once in a blue moon.

Shut0wen

The problem with the review metric and current journos is that to many 7/10 games recieve a 9/10 or 8/10, back in the day it was rare for games to get a review that was above a 7, examples of this is the call of duty games, they well made games but the formula is exactly the same, yet sport titles follow the same formula and pretty much get 7/10 reviews, cyberpunk is another game that really should of been a 6/7 or a generous 7/10 it did nothing for the genre if anything it was incredible dumb down fps rpg, only game imo that deserved the 9/10 title in the last 3 years has to be elden ring, even though i think dark souls was a million times better it atleast tried to change the souls genre so that it worked as a free roam game

FunkMiller

Gee. I wonder why a gaming outlet is suddenly telling us that we should embrace weak games.

Almost as if there's been a widely derided AAA game release recently that sits at about 60% on review sites.

The dude who wrote this should just post the picture of Phil Spencer with his arm stuck up his arse, and be done with it.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I think the most famous example of a good "6/10" game is Nier. It got torn apart by reviewers all over the world calling it a mediocre and lackluster game. The game bombed and the development studio went bankrupt. The gamers who bought and played it (me included) thought the critics were wrong and started praising it to high heaven. Square Enix saw the glowing response from the fanbase and greenlit a sequel, which shot to stardom and became a best selling game.

I still think Nier was mainly a victim of circumstance. FF13 had come out 2 months prior and despite (and still does to this day) looking stunning, it disappointed a lot of people. So when Nier is next up SE, and just looked kinda average... it was given short shrift.

I'd also point out that this was at the very end of a period where Japanese titles were generally struggling with Western tastes/expectations, and its easy to see why noone really gave it the attention it deserved at that time.

Last edited:
My issue is that there are so many games, TV shows, books, and other content out there that taking time/effort on mediocre (not necessarily bad) games seems like a waste.

My library (it's not a backlog 😉) stretches back decades and new good to great games (and other media) are released on almost daily basis. Why would I spend the time on a 6/10 games (with a few exceptions in certain genres)?
Ding, ding, ding. We have a winner. If my free time were infinite, I would be more willing to try smaller, less highly reviewed games and occasionally, it happens. Every once in a while, I'll finish some big release that I was hyped to play and I'll scroll through my old PS+ Essential library and try something. But I have so much other media that's higher priority, that those experimental things have to fall to wayside, so I can engage in something I know I will like.

PanzerCute

A lot of my favorite games are between 60 and 75 on MC.

And a lot of games I hated and found abysmally bad sit at 90+.

Reviews dont mean shit, they never do and they never will

Deerock71

Games that cost 70 bux and get a 6 is not equal to a movie I want to see that scores a 6 and can cost as little as 6 and change.

On a scale of 10 a 6 is above average but somehow people believe anything below 8 is bad. Too much reliance on Metacritic color scale I guess.
The average isn't just the centre (or any place) on a scale?? It's calculated after you've gathered the data. You might want to create a scale (like IQ) such that one value (like 100 IQ) is the average, but I suppose that isn't easy to do especially with how hard to quantify game quality is and how few games are reviewed (relative to how many are released) these days. If I had to guess 95% of weekly Steam releases go unreviewed by noteworthy publications so it's hard to determined what the current industry average is.

Last edited:
Publications are too scared to give game's 1's and 2's out of 10, that's what the problem is

If a game scores a 6 nowdays, it basically means it's a 2 or 3 out of 10
I would say that the shovelware crap that comes out on consoles/pc (Jumping Burrito, Jumping Chimichanga, etc.) should be those 1/10 games. Never see reviews for those though, lol.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
80s and above are considered successful in gaming, you see 8, 9 and 10 games. because developers put in work.

Nydius

Too much reliance on Metacritic color scale I guess.
Doesn’t have anything to do with Metacritic colors. Games “journalists” inflated the scale a long time ago and started using only 6-10 for everything. They started treating it like the American public school grading scale: 60 was a F, anything below 60 was still a F so they rarely used it. When sites dared to use the whole scale, they were decried as being clickbait outlets.

GameSpot complaining about a problem they themselves helped create is rich with irony. A complete lack of self awareness on their part.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I am ok with a 6/10 game as long as its not broken

I play Hell Let Loose on PS5 and I think its a 68 last I looked and I love that game

Top Bottom