• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameSpot: You Should Play More 6/10 Games

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Seeing a game receive a six out of a ten can be an immediate ‘no thank you’ for a lot of people. But Kurt thinks that bad games, even the most aggressively mediocre ones, can be great games in their own right.

In this week’s episode of The Kurt Locker, Kurt unpacks the phenomena of review scores and asks why so many of us run for cover when a game receives a six. To break this down, Kurt examines GameSpot’s number review score scale and tries to give clarity that six, not even five, means the game is “bad”.

In the process, Kurt realized that a lot of games he loves fall in the six out of the ten category. Games like Wanted: Dead, Gungrave G.O.R.E., Flower, Sun, and Rain, and many others. For Kurt, a six teeters on a certain kind of threshold. It's not quite good, but not bad either. It could be bad in some places, but not unplayable. It could also be great in other places, just not amazing – it may even have a whisper of innovation.

Timestamps:
00:00 - Intro
01:16 - The review score phenomena
02:42 - How GameSpot’s review scale works
04:00 - The curious case of Wanted: Dead
06:15 - In defense of the 6/10
08:52 - Read bad books
10:00 - Conclusion

Some games scoring a 6 or 7 jsut aren't very good, but quite a few of them basically just get points docked because they lack mainstream appeal. It can be hard to tell the difference, though. Elex 1 and 2 scored about the same, but while the former was my favorite game of 2017, the latter was a steaming pile of shit.

GHG

no-i-dont-think-i-will.gif

Dick Jones

Gold Member
I'm okay with 6/10 games provided the price reflects the score. I knew Terminator Resistance was jank and when I got it on sale, I loved it. It doesn't need the bells and whistles but it needs to be competently made.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
It really depends though, for example, I tried Ninja gaiden Z yaiba (43 metacritic) back in the day and I didn't last more than an hour since I found it to be terrible with no redeeming qualities whatsoever, Musou games on the other hand...I have a soft spot for them and are my guilty pleasure whenever I'm tired of playing AAA blockbusters and indies - my most recent Musou games were DW Gundam 2 on the X360, Samurai Warriors 4 and Berserk on the PS4.

I know they're mind-numbing, I know they're simple, I know they're repetitive, I know they have almost zero production values behind them and yet, there's just something relaxing by pressing XXXXYYYY, XXXYYY for hours on end, you'll be sucked if you don't.

Also : many "cult" hits are definitely below the 70/80/90% range.
There is space for mediocre games, just not shit ones (although that's also a matter of perspective).

Last edited:

samoilaaa

On a scale of 10 a 6 is above average but somehow people believe anything below 8 is bad. Too much reliance on Metacritic color scale I guess.
depend on the person , ive been gaming for 20 years so i dont have the patience to play a game that doesnt have a proper story , level design , game mechanics ( not even 8+/10 AAA games have those things these days with a few exceptions ofc )

Last edited:
On a scale of 10 a 6 is above average but somehow people believe anything below 8 is bad. Too much reliance on Metacritic color scale I guess.
Blame that on the reviewers, how often do you see games get a 1-4? Or even a 5 out of 10. It feels like they omit 1-5 the majority of the time, so many games seem to be rated on a 6 to 10 scale.

ungalo

I didn't watch the video but if for them Gungrave Gore or Wanted Dead are 6/10 games we're not talking about the same thing.

Those are 3/10 games. The 6/10 games are those who actually have 8 or 9/10 across all websites. And i'm tired of playing those games, i'm playing them all the time.

Mr Hyde

I think the most famous example of a good "6/10" game is Nier. It got torn apart by reviewers all over the world calling it a mediocre and lackluster game. The game bombed and the development studio went bankrupt. The gamers who bought and played it (me included) thought the critics were wrong and started praising it to high heaven. Square Enix saw the glowing response from the fanbase and greenlit a sequel, which shot to stardom and became a best selling game.

KellyNole

I'm okay with 6/10 games provided the price reflects the score. I knew Terminator Resistance was jank and when I got it on sale, I loved it. It doesn't need the bells and whistles but it needs to be competently made.
It is because the scale is broken. 5 or below is rare. 6 is usually a bad to maybe average game, 7 average to ok, 8 ok to good, 9 good to great, 10 amazing.

ReBurn

Gold Member
depend on the person , ive been gaming for 20 years so i dont have the patience to play a game that doesnt have a proper story , level design , game mechanics ( not even 8+/10 AAA games have those things these days with a few exceptions ofc )
A reviewer giving a game 6 out of 10 doesn't mean that the game doesn't have those things. Review scores aren't indicative of a game's mix of those things. I've been gaming for more than twice as long as you and I have seen so many sleepers that didn't hit big because moron reviewers focused on formula more than the overall experience.
Blame that on the reviewers, how often do you see games get a 1-4? Or even a 5 out of 10. It feels like they omit 1-5 the majority of the time, so many games seem to be rated on a 6 to 10 scale.
Nobody should be blindly trusting reviewers to begin with. Reviewers who get review copies for free have shown time and again they're willing to fluff devs so their free games and swag aren't taken away. Look at all of the morons who were praising Cyberpunk 2077 sitting in their fancy gaming chairs after their all expenses paid trips to go play the game. Reviewers who make their money on reviews should be buying the things they review, or we shouldn't trust them.

Mr.Phoenix

These reviewers created a monster and are now trying to put it back in the bag?

Not even gonna get into why this is even happening after the whole Redfall thing (yh, that's not suspicious at all), but these reviewers created this problem. When pretty much scoring everything between 80 and 100 and ignoring the rest of the scale, now anything that even scores in the 70s is considered bad. Much less something in the 60s.

Truth be told is the majority of the games that score in the 90s, I wouldn't even score that high, would score most of them in the 80s. And those in the 80s in the 70s and 60s.

Redfall, I would score in the 40s.

If its something Im already into beforehand sure. AA is filled with these, Vampire Masquarade Swansong, The Sinking City, Steelrising are all not at the very top tier of gaming but they vibe with me so who cares about reviews. But to knowingly play a 6/10 game because you got nothing better to play or because its part of a subscription is asanine.

Last edited:
Minecraft Legends is close to that 6/10.

It's PvP is more fun than 90% of 10/10 games. And quiet different from games I am used to playing.

I think this is what he is trying to say here. I will gladly play a game like this instead of trying to roll credits on another critical darling that I have played multiple times already.

If its something Im already into sure beforehand sure. AA is filled with these, Vampire Masquarade Swansong, The Sinking City, Steelrising are all not at the very top tier of gaming but they vibe with me so who cares about reviews. But to knowingly play a 6/10 game because you got nothing better to play or because its part of a subscription is asanine.
I'd say C, not AA

kuncol02

Banned
Way to many magazines and sites still use 5-10 scale where 5 is unplayable and unstable garbage that can actually destroy you console.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
If I get a D on a paper it means it wasn't good. If I get a C on a paper it means it was acceptable. If you think people should be playing 6/10 games then the score was wrong.

Tg89

Nah. It’s not above average in the way that reviewers use the scale.

Most games that score in the 60s are complete ass. I mean, look at Redfall as a recent example, it’s sitting in the 60s on metacritic. In a world where they used the full scale and 6 is “above average” Redfall would be somewhere in the 20s. This isn’t an anomaly, sort metacritic by score and scroll to the 60s. These are irredeemable game.

I don’t have time for all the good games let alone adding some shit ones in just for funsies.

Last edited:
This is not true. Just because mathematically 5 is halfway, this is NOT how games are scored.

How many AAA games score under 50 metacritic? Pretty much zero. 50 is basically as low as the gaming review scale goes. 60 is a TERRIBLE score. 70 is still below average. It isn't until around 75 or so where it becomes a decision if it should be worth your time or not

Last edited:

Neolombax

If the price reflected the quality, then sure. For me, its just not economical, theres no game renting service here. If it comes to ps plus then for sure I'll give it a go if I hv time to spare. But at usd60/70 , no chance. For reviewers this might not be that big of an issue since games are given to them.

Top Bottom