• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameSpot: You Should Play More 6/10 Games

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
If they're games that dare to do something different, then yeah sometimes. A game can have charm and appeal above its weight class.

But if a game is just a worse version of some 8/10 game, then no.

Valkyria

Banned
What I always found amusing it’s people on a hardcore gaming forum paying attention to scores of games. For the last 20 years I have played enough games that I know if I will enjoy a game or not regarding what some other people think.

Ormberg

On a scale of 10 a 6 is above average but somehow people believe anything below 8 is bad. Too much reliance on Metacritic color scale I guess.
Well you know, game journalists are like size queens. A meager 7 just ain't gonna move the ocean.

Markio128

Michael Keaton No GIF

Some games scoring a 6 or 7 jsut aren't very good, but quite a few of them basically just get points docked because they lack mainstream appeal. It can be hard to tell the difference, though. Elex 1 and 2 scored about the same, but while the former was my favorite game of 2017, the latter was a steaming pile of shit.

Is that because of how badly elex 2 was optimized or because it's just a worse game than original?

I checked out a demo for it via ps plus and was dismayed by the condition this game was I'm. The screen tearing was something awful at only 1080p/60 and the 4k mode was garbage too. Far as I know they never fixed it either. European AA studios are the worst.

Roufianos

Fuck that, it's super rare AAA games score below a 6 as reviewers rarely use the full scale.

Who on earth has the time to play shit games.

Metnut

He’s right. Some games that review poorly can subjectively be something that you end up loving.

Star Ocean 6 got mostly bad reviews but scratched a real gaming itch for me and I had a great time with it.

Yoboman

No I don't have time to waste on average games. Same as I won't waste my time on average movies and books

If I had infinite time and nothing to do then sure

Nydius

Imagine actually giving a shit what random "jouranlists" have to say and taking their word for the quality of the game.
Imagine understanding the concept of consensus.

A single reviewer? No, I'm not inclined to give a shit. But when the consensus of reviews say a game is shit, I'm inclined to believe it enough to not waste my time.

Astral Dog

He has a good point, not all "6" or 7 games are bad,and not all 10/9 games are the most amazing thing ever made, taking Metacritic scores as the sole metric to judge a game's quality or enjoyment is quite silly. unfortunately plenty of people do.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

A single reviewer? No, I'm not inclined to give a shit. But when the consensus of reviews say a game is shit, I'm inclined to believe it enough to not waste my time.

Ah yes, as we all know the "concensus" of "journalists" are a grand source of understanding the qualtiy of games! Just look at IMMORTALITY and Dragon Age II! Clearly classics that will last lifetimes.

Oh unless you mean the concensus of User reviews, in which case:
Laugh Lol GIF

Astral Dog

An 8 is still a respectable number all things considered, a 7 or 6 can be a good purchase on a sale,it depends on your own criteria and what kind of games do you like,also read the fans 'opinions' even if they can be trash ,some are honest

Dismissing a game because it earned an 8 instead of a 9,i can say i found many games with lower/higher 80s to be much better than 90+ GOTY overrated,it happens

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member

I have a computerized brain, I know more than 600 video games from the Atari to the current consoles... 🧠🎮🕹️📼

I am able to listen to a sound and say which video game it is and in which setting.

If they put me on the guy in the video, I put him to sweep and mash him easily.

Griffon

I can't remember the last time I cared about review scores. At least 15 years ago.

Maybe it's because I've played enough games in my lifetime to immediately know what's gonna be good or not just by looking at raw gameplay footage or streams. Or, you know, by listening at what the people are saying about the game instead of a dumb numerical value.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
At least bad games can be interesting compared the 7-8 score range games that most releases fall into these days.

Cashon

Banned
The 10-point scale had always been dumb. What can be said on a 10-point scale that can't be said on a 5-point scale? Broken, Bad, Okay, Great, Excellent. That's really all you need.

Personally, I keep track of every game I finish. Only the games that I actually finish. Once I finish a game, I give it a rating of 1-4, based on a rubric that I created. 4, because I won't finish a game that I consider broken.

4 - One of the best games I've ever played. Fun throughout with few moments of boredom, no control issues, very few visual/audio issues.

3 - An all-time great that just doesn't reach the highs of a 4. Maybe it's too long or has a boring segment. Maybe the graphics aren't polished or the controls could be better.

2 - An all-around decent game that is somewhere between actively fun and boring. Possibly has a fair number of glitches or other annoying issues.

1 - Almost a bad game. Tedious to play, low production value, etc... But has just enough redeeming qualities for me to finish it.

Last edited:
Scores and journos are bullshit. Find a few people whose taste in games line up with yours, and pay attention to what they say about the game.

I didn't watch the video but if for them Gungrave Gore or Wanted Dead are 6/10 games we're not talking about the same thing.

Those are 3/10 games. The 6/10 games are those who actually have 8 or 9/10 across all websites. And i'm tired of playing those games, i'm playing them all the time.
I agree that Gungrave was dogshit when it first came out. It's much, much better now though. The devs did an awesome job of listening to feedback and fixed almost every issue with the game. I'd highly recommend giving it a second chance.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Scores and journos are bullshit. Find a few people whose taste in games line up with yours, and pay attention to what they say about the game.

Hell, you don't even need to do that. Just follow a few people you trust and respect. I rarely agree with the likes of ACG or Colin Moriarty, but I respect both their opinions and get a good idea of what the game is. Then I look at gameplay from streamers or youtube, trailers, and look at the various systems and see if it is something I would enjoy. Then if it is, I buy it and try it out for myself and come to my own conclusions on its quality.

But dumbasses instead look at the numbers/reviews and assume that they are correct. It is why I always say that the only people who use metacritic and similar sites are children who need validation for their purchase decisions and console warriors. I have yet to be proven wrong.

i love 6/10 games!...

otoh, i bought deadly premonition 2 day 1 / full price. & that's something that i will never again do, 6/10 game-wise...

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
On the gaming journalism shill scale, a 6/10 AAA game is more like a 1/10, since AAA games don't get rated below *checks Redfall Metacritic* 55.

A 6/10 indie game on the other hand can be totally worth playing.

DavidGzz

People only get behind this when it's a game they like or on a system they are a fanboy of. When it isn't it's a source of comedy for them.

sachos

I fully support anyone encouraging people to try out more games. Thats how you find hidden gems. Fun to do with past gen libraries especially.
Regarding review scores, its true that maybe the scale is skewed towards higher scores but it is also true that there are 1000s of games released per year and reviewers choose to review the most famous/best looking games of that pile so of course a bunch of them get good reviews.

Aion002

On game pass, ps plus or for 10 usd or less?

Maybe.

At launch, for more than 10 usd?

no man GIF

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
One person’s 8 is another person’s 6 and vice versa.
I go by what interests me, and decide for myself. Numbers mean nothing.

Codes 208

Dragon Ball Raging Blast 2 is the best dbz game we got since the tenkaichis and budokai 3 and it was written off so quickly because it was “just another dragon ball game”

Pimpollo818

I wouldn't finish a 6 game if I recognize it as such while playing it. I'd rather play and finish a particularly bad game like Redfall for the lulz.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Recent games everyone thinks are trash that I loved :

Gotham Knights
Babylon Fall
Wanted Dead

RedFall is pretty mediocre though.

The Alien

Banned
I loved the game Mad Max. Great game...lots of fun. Currently sitting at a 69 Metacritic.

I don't think everything has to be a 11/10 to make it worth playing.

Top Bottom