• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamer infiltrated Nintendo meeting to complain about Splatoon 3’s lack of male poses

Things got a bit awkward at the latest meeting of Nintendo’s shareholders when a Japanese man took the spotlight and used his allotted question time to complain about a perceived lack of cool poses for the male characters in Splatoon 3 in a lengthy manner. He explained that from his point of view, female characters got preferential treatment in comparison to male characters

“The company has blatantly given the boys in Splatoon the cold shoulder and I would like to see some improvement,” the man said.

He explained that Splatoon 1 and 2, where customization options were a lot more limited, paid a similar amount of attention to both character types, but “in Splatoon 3, there is a lot more customization, and there is clear favoritism towards girl characters over boys.” This is evident, he argued, in the available hairstyles for both characters as the styles for male characters aren't as elaborate or diverse as those of their counterparts. The same goes for profile icons and emotes, which he said are designed to look better with the female characters.

“It makes me extremely sad when people say ‘If you enjoy playing as a boy, then you won’t enjoy playing Splatoon’,” he stated

He apparently was also paranoid that Splatoon 3 wouldn’t have any male characters at all due to the game’s marketing: “From the 2021 Fall Direct and all of the next year trailers always showed the girl character. There were people like me who were looking forward to playing as a boy, and every day [without seeing the boy character] we were filled with dread that we wouldn’t be able to.”

Shuntaro Furukawa, Nintendo’s current president, eventually interrupted the rant, saying that the ‘question’ the man was asking became too long. That evidently did not faze the shareholder and the speech continued for a while. Furukawa took it all in until the man was done, simply thanking him for playing the game and sharing his opinion before moving on to the next question, leaving the subject matter at hand untouched.

What makes this encounter all the more bizarre is that the person in question apparently bought Nintendo shares with the explicit goal of getting that complaint off his chest at the shareholders’ meeting. Strapped for cash, the man purchased Nintendo Switch OLEDs with a credit card to then sell them at a loss and buy some Nintendo shares in order to be able to attend the conference.

Source: https://videogames.si.com/news/splatoon-3-nintendo-shareholdes-meeting-complaint

Spyxos

Gold Member
what did i just read?

Excuse Me Wow GIF by Mashable

People are weird ….
If it's parody he posssibly nailed it, as far one can judge from that description, and if it's serious concern he still actually might have a point. The funny thing is that all diversity preachers are probably very much like the All lives matter allergics only seeing their own issue and sometimes imagined problem, so can't even wrap their head around another viewpoint that may or may not be as legit and or flawed as their own often very narrow minded one.

diffusionx

Gold Member
This is total cringe (and it's happened before), but it would not suprise me if it has an effect. It is not hard for a Nintendo exec to call the head of the Splatoon studio and tell them to figure this shit out so these dorks don't interrupt important business with total nonsense anymore.

The boy squidlings (and octolings) were always inferior so I can't sympathize with this dude, but it is weird how they've tried to erase the concept of gender from the game. It's almost impossible to tell what's what because they won't categorize the customization options. Might have something to do with the catalog and how it distributes cosmetics. Or it could be the endless stream of "I'M GAY" and "I'M HAVING BOTTOM SURGERY TORMORROW" messages I keep seeing in the game.

But man, this guy's dedicated to go through all that just to talk about his squid boy fetish.

Lunarorbit

This is total cringe (and it's happened before), but it would not suprise me if it has an effect. It is not hard for a Nintendo exec to call the head of the Splatoon studio and tell them to figure this shit out so these dorks don't interrupt important business with total nonsense anymore.
Right?! This is kinda hilarious that it's now happened multiple times at Nintendos investor meetings.

Selling oled switchs at a loss to make that argument to the president.... is a unique strategy. I wonder if Japanese business meetings are still super stuffy which makes the visual even better

Holammer

The guy is a legend. Nintendo should add some masculine themed cosmetics to the game in his honor. Like a 5'o clock shadow, goatee and full beard.

• LOL
Reactions: Isa

RagnarokIV

Shuntaro Furukawa, Nintendo’s current president, eventually interrupted the rant, saying that the ‘question’ the man was asking became too long. That evidently did not faze the shareholder and the speech continued for a while. Furukawa took it all in until the man was done,

Legendary performance.

• LOL

NickFire

What makes this encounter all the more bizarre is that the person in question apparently bought Nintendo shares with the explicit goal of getting that complaint off his chest at the shareholders’ meeting. Strapped for cash, the man purchased Nintendo Switch OLEDs with a credit card to then sell them at a loss and buy some Nintendo shares in order to be able to attend the conference.
feynoob feynoob - is this why you need to take time off from here? :messenger_tongue:

Last edited:

Trilobit

I'm here pondering over the question if there was a cure for autism,.would we really want it? This kind of interesting and entertaining humans are one of my favourite things in life.

Last edited:

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Next thing will be:
Link is too girly. How he eats raw meat and his testosterone is low?

• LOL
Top Bottom