• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Pass users - What percentage of you gaming time did you spend on Game Pass games this year?

What percentage of your gaming time is spent playing Game Pass games

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

marjo

Looking back over the past year, I'm surprised as to just how much of my gaming time went towards Game Pass games. Maybe I'm an anomaly (because I'm a cheap bastard), but I'm curious as to how others compare.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Played a few titles but not many and not for long, a majority seem to be older games, most of which I own and have played already, others like the new Gears of Snore sucked huge donky balls.

I did appreciate Forza Horizon 5 and Age of Empires IV and will continue to play both, Halo: Infinite was a little underwhelming and I will never touch the multiplayer for it again.

Last edited:
Only used it to play Back 4 Blood, cuz I did not want to spend 60 euros for it, neither did my friends, and it took us 35h so thats it which means...1%?

Schmick

I put 75% - 90%.

Funny enough the other the time is spent with PS Now for PC.

Gamepass has been revolutionary for me and my friends. The shear choice now available to us for our online nights has been fantastic. And it's not just those nights I play a lot of the SP stuff too.

Javthusiast

Banned
99%. Have barely touched my ps4 backlog since getting the Series S in november last year.

Horizon Forbidden West will be the game bringing me back.

I spent a total of 35€ on games this year. On sale in the xbox store. Bully, RDR, GTA4, Splinter Cell Chaos Theory and MGS HD collection.

Game Pass gives me enough content to not wanting to buy new games outside of huge ones like Sony exclusives. And only ones with ps4 versions, cause it will be a while until I get a ps5.

This is my first Xbox console btw. They really managed to make me get into their eco system.

I missclicked, should've put 75-90%.

Only games I played outside Gamepass for a long-ish time were Ass Creed and Path of Exile. I also played a bunch of Switch games but not for very long.

Bridges

I have played through 38 games this year and of that 24 of them were through Game Pass, and that's not including time spent on games I didn't finish or the Halo Infinite multiplayer. Also not including two games I played that were on Game Pass but I had purchased separately (Control and The Good Life).

Game Pass has been good to me so far

elliot5

The only game I played not in game pass was deaths Door this year (on Xbox). Not including some pc titles I’ve tried like valheim

Chukhopops

50-75% based on my completed games (20/41 were on GP). Rest is on Switch out of necessity when I commute and the occasional PS5 exclusive once I got it.

Topher

Gold Member
Games played on GP:

Psychonauts 2
Forza Horizon 5
Halo Infinite

I voted 10 to 25%. Probably about 20%. Most of the year I played multiplat games on PS5 that were not on GP, along with Ratchet and Clank.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I played a ton of stuff this year that was on Game Pass. The Medium, Outriders, Tetris Effect, State of Decay 2, 12 Minutes, Hades, Dark Alliance, Streets of Rage 4, and Archvale. And those are just the games I finished. Played a lot of other stuff here and there and either haven't finished it or dropped it for whatever reason things like Back 4 Blood (Lame), Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth (awesome but haven't finished it yet), It Takes Two (also haven't finished it yet), lawnmowing simulator (lame and gay), Forza 5 (need to finish), Gears 5 (kinda just gave up after the start of act 3), etc. etc. There are also other games I bought that I should have waited on because they ended up coming to Game Pass later, like Scarlet Nexus.

Tons of value here although I play so many games it really comes out to be about 30% Game Pass, 30% Retro stuff, and 40% everything else for me personally. But that's just because I play a ton of games.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
75 to 90% for me.

I bought the least amount of new games at retail this year then I can remember in a long while.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
It's hard to put a number on it but I would guess at least 25% - 50% of the games I played were from Game Pass. My participation in the service kinda surges and then plateaus depending on what's available. Forza and Halo obviously spiked it. Other times I like going back to game I owned on Xbox but wanted to play better on PC. Fallout 76 is a huge one. I played alot on Xbox, but on PC, being able to run it at high frame rates and through careful editing of files, being able to turn off certain graphical features that made the game look bad, it's actually on par with other fallouts. Little tricky editing the files when you're playing on Gamepass but absolutely doable.

Lots of indies and sub-AAA games too, from Hollow knight to Ori, Streets of Rage, Dead Cells, My Friend Pedro, Mutant Year Zero. I experimented alot. Found some real gems too. Also got to play some games I was curious about but ultimately wasn't my style. I tried my best to love Dragon Quest. Just not my thing I guess. I loved Octopath Traveler though. I got burned with No Man's Sky,being a Day One purchaser. Now I play on gamepass with all the improvements. Didn't have to rebuy it. Didn't want to play it on Playstation 4 because I didn't have a Pro.

I play ALOT of games though. So 50%...I mean I'm playing Guilty Gear, DayZ, FFXIV, New World (on and off) and Dark Souls 3, Warzone, Escape From Tarkov, Apex Legends...etc. etc. So yea that seems...about right.

NinjaBoiX

Probably +90%.

I played my switch a little, and Hot Pursuit on my PS4 but that’s actually available on gamepass so…

Fredrik

Xbox: 100%!
I haven’t bought any games this year. An experiment that worked surprisingly well.

All platforms included: Probably around 30% on Gamepass.

Hard to say which was my most played game, guessing Cyberpunk considering it released last december and I have 250+ hours logged. I’ve played lots of Metroid Dread too, my personal GOTY.

twilo99

Once you go gamepass there is no going back. I'm 1 1/2 years in and I haven't bought a single game from Steam since I signed up.. there is just no point.

Trying out games on xcloud is amazing.. click and play.

The $$ amount I would've spent on all the games I've been able to try and play during that period is far greater than the cost of the service.

Only game I spent money on was Vanguard because I know its not ever coming to gamepass.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
About 1/3 of all the non-WoW games I played this year. More than got my subscription's worth.

tmlDan

very little, i think Halo was the most ive played this year of a game pass game and it came out recently.

Less than 10% for moi

I would assume Genshin impact and COD WZ took up the most of my gaming time this year.

MikeM

Maybe 30%. Played Outriders, The Medium, and Forza 4+ 5 from GP. Daughter just started playing Paw Patrol and I appreciate that kids games are on there.

Rest of my tike was spent in MP games and PS5. Xbox is mainly my GP machine. Anything I purchase tends to be PS5 due to Dualsense.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I think around 85%.

I played a few little point and click adventure games on my Switch. I played AssCreed Valhalla and Control Ultimate on my Series X, everything else was on Game Pass even replaying games I own since I was too lazy to get up and find the disc, so I'd just install it from Game Pass. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Farcry 6 and CP77 and a few hours of Days Gone.
Everything else has been 80 % Gamepass Is my guess. Probly more.

Last edited:

sainraja

I wish I could say I spent more time playing games on it but so far it hasn't been that much — too many choices can sometimes result in no play! But also I have been spending a lot of time with Destiny 2.

sainraja

Xbox: 100%!
I haven’t bought any games this year. An experiment that worked surprisingly well.

All platforms included: Probably around 30% on Gamepass.

Hard to say which was my most played game, guessing Cyberpunk considering it released last december and I have 250+ hours logged. I’ve played lots of Metroid Dread too, my personal GOTY.
How have you not played Guardians of the Galaxy?
It's really good.

splattered

very little, though my kids used it a lot. i still buy all the games i wanna play. Not that there's anything wrong with Gamepass, i just don't have the time to invest in playing tons of different games w full time job and kids so i just buy a handful of games each quarter and play em.

Lognor

Banned
Wow at these results. Game Pass subscribers spend a ton of time on these games. Best value in gaming clearly.

I would like to see a poll for similar services. Hmm...

Banjo64

cumsessed
Games played on PS4/5 this year:

Ratchet and Clank 2016
Multiple play throughs for the platinum.

Uncharted 4
Final play through on easy difficulty, collectible run for the platinum.

Horizon Zero Dawn
Second play through for the platinum. 100% on the Frozen Wilds DLC.

God of War 2018
Earned the platinum.

Astro’s Playroom
Earned the platinum.

Currently midway through Miles Morales and have Ghost of Tsushima Director’s Cut ready to go after I’ve completed MM.

Games played on Switch this year:

Immortals Fenyx Rising, Pokémon Sword, Monster Hunter Rise, Astral Chain and Metroid Dread.
Only completed Metroid Dread. Sold Fenyx Rising and Astral Chain after 15 hours of play time. Midway through Pokémon now, and will resume Rise after that.

Series S:

Tried for the first time; A Bard’s Tale ARPG, Mirror’s Edge Catalyst, Halo Wars DE, Jedi Fallen Order, Cold War, PUBG, Planet Coaster, Conan Exiles, Sonic Mania, For Honour, Hollow Knight, Yooka Laylee and the Impossible Lair, Pillars of Eternity, TES Online, Hades, Flight Simulator, Minecraft Dungeons, Aragami 2, Octopath Traveller.

Completed/played for a long time; Streets of Rage 4, Yooka Laylee , Subnautica, Donut County, The Gardens Between, Doom 64, Celeste, Descenders, A Plague Tale Innocence, Forza Horizon 4&5, Psychonauts 2.

Online multiplayer games I played; a little bit of Gears 5, countless hours of MCC and now Halo Infinite. Just split the cost for Battlefield 2042, it’s pretty crap though.

Time split is probably something like 50% Xbox, 40% PS, 10% Switch.

Last edited:

Lognor

Banned
I’ll get there eventually, I’ve played Marvel’s Avengers through Gamepass and I imagine GotG will arrive as well 👍
Yep. That's what I'm waiting for. Fortunately GotG sold a lot better than Avengers so it might take a bit longer. That's okay. I can wait.

Stuart360

Its hard to say for certain without keeping track, but going from memory i'd say about 60%. Probably closer to 70% in terms of hours played on and off Gamepass.
The actual game split though, yeah i'd say about 60%.

Shtef

I haven't bought a game in a long time, I only play games that are on gamepass. That will change though, I will get elden ring on day one, other then that I am content with games on gamepass.

Sorne

All of it. I don't remember the last time I paid for a game.

EDIT: True, I pre-ordered Elden Ring. But that's technically a next year game, so.

Last edited:
Played 74 games so far this year. 50 were on PC. 27 were Gamepass PC games, 23 were owned/Steam PC games. The rest were on Nintendo Switch, 3DS and retro consoles.

If I want to mod a game I buy it. If I know I'll dump 100 hours on a game I'll buy it. Most indies I play on Gamepass but Microsoft putting their own big releases as permanent fixtures in the service has made it a no-brainer to me.

It's a pretty even split between Gamepass and Steam this year.

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
There is a dedicated Game Pass thread. Use that to discuss topics such as this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom