• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Developers Choice Awards 2014 Thread: Watch Live March 19, 2014

wildfire

Banned
It's still a very limited, Western-centric viewpoint of video games. Where are all the Japanese games with great music, art, and/or gameplay?

I mean, even the mobile category had more Western games than Japanese ones. Seriously?

These awards as limited in scope as the VGAs.

This is a fair point. Just keep in mind that while GDC is open to everyone developers from all over the world can't be arsed to go there. So representation will be hampered by that.

aly

It's still a very limited, Western-centric viewpoint of video games. Where are all the Japanese games with great music, art, and/or gameplay?

I mean, even the mobile category had more Western games than Japanese ones. Seriously?

These awards as limited in scope as the VGAs.

Did those Japaneses games come out in the west? Were most of them mobile? If so then you have your answer. The Japaneses game industry is in its own little place and heading into being irrelevant right now. Nintendo did'nt even bother to show up.

ckohler

Hmm. I like Kerbal but...

FRf4ZN3.gif

Pryce

Dude, come on now. Whole thing seems to be pretty casual.

Half of them are one step away from wearing shorts.

And since when is a fitted dress shirt not casual? Not asking them to wear suits or anything. Not that any of it matters, just something I noticed.

aly

Just leave the sexist people alone. They don't care that this was an award that had no nominees to begin with and won't complain about Kutargi talking for several minutes after he gets his special honoree award.

So criticizing Anita is considered sexist now? Boy I should play play that card more often someone disagreed with me!

Did those Japaneses games come out in the west? Were most of them mobile? If so then you have your answer. The Japaneses game industry is in its own little place and heading into being irrelevant right now. Nintendo did'nt even bother to show up.

lol because we all know that a traditionally Western-centric awards show not having a strong representation of Japanese developers is a sign of Japanese games becoming irrelevant.

Just leave the sexist people alone. They don't care that this was an award that had no nominees to begin with and won't complain about Kutargi talking for several minutes after he gets his special honoree award.

Kutaragi has a whole generation of actual tangible works and influence.

if anything, at least for now he earned his award chronologically. let's give sarkeesian a cpl more years before we put her on a pedestal.

Abbie was pretty great on Feedback over at G4, and not the least bit surprising that someone in the game industry took her in.

I'm not able to watch this yet to really judge, but I've stopped caring for hosts at these things for a long while now. So long as she isn't as bad as say...what Ubisoft had given us prior to last year's E3, it shouldn't be a big issue. Then again, once I watch it I'll probably be fairly critical.

Edit: Not surprised to see the backlash against Anita when I saw her in the OP. Some of her initial videos weren't that great, but I thought her later installments were better executed and thought out.

Makai

What are you talking about? Feminism and harassment are easily the biggest issues facing the gaming industry today, far ahead of stuff like inflating budgets or the lack of innovation!
You're so right, I didn't even notice that you were being sarcastic.

Top Bottom