• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF's Nintendo Discussion, News, and Speculation |OT|

Woopah

Kind of sucks though really. I guess it comes under that "Materiality" Accounting term since the company is worth so much, that smaller numbers can be ignored, but I love the little details. At least they give us numbers, unlike SEGA....

Very few video game companies give numbers to the extent Nintendo does. Of the big publishers they are the most transparent as far as I'm aware. Would be great to get numbers for smaller titles too though.

However, even more than that I want to know what the third party million sellers on Switch.

Mr Hyde

However, even more than that I want to know what the third party million sellers on Switch

Hollow Knight, Cuphead and Dead Cells are those I'm certain have reached a million in sales. Overall, indies are doing solid numbers on Switch.

Hollow Knight, Cuphead and Dead Cells are those I'm certain have reached a million in sales. Overall, indies are doing solid numbers on Switch.

I kinda think the honeymoon is over with indies and the Switch. Unless your getting gaming press coverage or have insane word of mouth your just another title in an endless slog of shovelware on a storefront that's ridiculously archaic.

Games that are big indie darlings will probably be fine. Either way the eshop needs a total redesign from the ground up.

D.Final

Banned
I kinda think the honeymoon is over with indies and the Switch. Unless your getting gaming press coverage or have insane word of mouth your just another title in an endless slog of shovelware on a storefront that's ridiculously archaic.

Games that are big indie darlings will probably be fine. Either way the eshop needs a total redesign from the ground up.

I don't know....
They made a lot of Indi direct in the recent months

Woopah

I'm sure plenty of indies did well (I got Hollow Knight and Cuphead myself) but we also know that 9 third party retail releases sold over a million in the last year. I can make some good guesses about what they are but would be nice to get confirmation.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member

The eshop is pretty bloody awful - does an even worse job than Steam of surfacing interesting content.

Shaqazooloo

I was on the eShop yesterday, it's very difficult to find some of the good stuff. You have to scroll for quite some time before you find anything interesting.

I just ended up pre purchasing a few titles and checked out what deals their were.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
I was on the eShop yesterday, it's very difficult to find some of the good stuff. You have to scroll for quite some time before you find anything interesting.

I just ended up pre purchasing a few titles and checked out what deals their were.

I'm taking the approach of researching elsewhere (including here) and then for most I'll look for cheap physical copies on shopto, but if I can't I'll get cheap codes and redeem them on the store as I'm not paying those prices.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
How are you liking it so far? What game did you start with?

I'm having fun.

So far I've picked up:
- Pokemon Shield (came with it - physical)
- Mario Odyssey (physical - arrived this morning - got cheap on shopto)
- Mario Kart 8 (physical)
- New Super Mario Brothers U Deluxe (digital - testing the water with that - want to see how ownership works and whether my wife's profile will work on it)
- Tetris 99
- Some demos

Obviously loving Mario Kart 8 though I had to google how to get the god-awful steering-assist thing off, and Pokemon Shield is proving quite a fun first crack at a pokemon game. Mario Odyssey turned up this morning and I had a quick look at it at lunch - it seems pretty cool though the camera is a bit annoying. New Super Mario Bros U is good fun but so much easier than the SNES games. I know it's a bit of a vanilla list but I'll spice it up in due course once Persona makes it across. Catherine Full Body is tempting too though I did recently buy Catherine Classic on PC (fantastic game btw) and I'm not sure there's enough upgrade there to make it worthwhile.

Aaand no Tony Hawk for Switch. Honestly, this makes me angry, both because this absolutely would run great on Switch and also because I would've loved to play it on Switch. Played the N64-version to death back then.

Stealing this list of frustratingly missing Switch-ports:

One Punch Man
SAO Alicization Lyricois
Dragon Ball Kakarot
Destroy All Humans
Planet Coaster
Sakura Wars
Nier Remake
Demon Slayer
Scarlet Nexus
Mafia II
Tony Hawk 1+2 HD

It's just so insane how these publishers keep ignoring a near 60 million userbase that's starving for games. I wonder how many Haradas, Nagoshis and Nihon Falcoms exist within western publishers ...

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Aaand no Tony Hawk for Switch. Honestly, this makes me angry, both because this absolutely would run great on Switch and also because I would've loved to play it on Switch. Played the N64-version to death back then.

Stealing this list of frustratingly missing Switch-ports:

One Punch Man
SAO Alicization Lyricois
Dragon Ball Kakarot
Destroy All Humans
Planet Coaster
Sakura Wars
Nier Remake
Demon Slayer
Scarlet Nexus
Mafia II
Tony Hawk 1+2 HD

It's just so insane how these publishers keep ignoring a near 60 million userbase that's starving for games. I wonder how many Haradas, Nagoshis and Nihon Falcoms exist within western publishers ...

Publishers actively ignored the Wii's userbase when it was setting the world on fire. They have no issue ignoring the Switch in 2020.

-Arcadia-

Banned
THPS not being on Switch is insane.

I really don't know what goes on at those companies. You'd think that at least a money-hungry entity like Activision would see the profit to be made, even if there isn't creative desire.

With some publishers, you end up with them treating the Switch as some kind of weird afterthought, while in parallel, the system is dominating the world. It just makes zero sense.

At least third party support in general looks a lot healthier than any Nintendo system in quite some time.

Jooxed

Gold Member

I really don't know what goes on at those companies. You'd think that at least a money-hungry entity like Activision would see the profit to be made, even if there isn't creative desire.

With some publishers, you end up with them treating the Switch as some kind of weird afterthought, while in parallel, the system is dominating the world. It just makes zero sense.

At least third party support in general looks a lot healthier than any Nintendo system in quite some time.

Obviously they don't like money.

Not much news going on this week, but we have some first impressions of 80s Overdrive and Streets of Rage 4

We also have an hour long deep-dive into Ori and the Blind Forest.

Optional drinking game for the Ori chat: Take a swig every time you hear me say "incredibly frustrating". Anyone who survives that instantly has my respect.

StormCell

I don't want to raise any false hope, but it's possible that an announcement for Switch could still be pending on Nintendo's Summer Direct plans. I know they've given permission for other publishers to make separate announcements, but you never know. It makes zero sense to skip Switch. The games are perfect for it.

D.Final

Banned
Not much news going on this week, but we have some first impressions of 80s Overdrive and Streets of Rage 4

We also have an hour long deep-dive into Ori and the Blind Forest.

Optional drinking game for the Ori chat: Take a swig every time you hear me say "incredibly frustrating". Anyone who survives that instantly has my respect.

Cool

Saruhashi

Banned
The eshop is pretty bloody awful - does an even worse job than Steam of surfacing interesting content.

Yeah, it's a complete shambles.

They need a proper "Nintendo Recommends" section and then pay someone to curate and maintain a list of good indies and 3rd party stuff.
Then also have a "Nintendo Exclusives" section that has all of their 1st party stuff.
Then a proper "coming soon" and "current offers" section that is also carefully curated.

Let the rest be thrown into a big pot at the bottom of the page.

What I dislike most about the eshop is that you can't sort games from best to worst discount. I'd like to easily see all the games that got a 80 or 90 % discount, but no, I can only go to a general 'special sales' site and wade through meaningless 15-30% discounts :/

Shaqazooloo

Looks like Square Enix is in the same boat as Nintendo when it come to E3.

Last edited:

Jooxed

Gold Member
Looks like Square Enix is in the same boat as Nintendo when it come to E3.

Come on Bravely Default 2 release before I die from corona.

OutrageousFacts OutrageousFacts They are saying 15-20 hours for the new epilogue.

I don't believe it. And I read they saw the whole map in 4h. So maybe there's 20 hours of content overall, but not the story.

Btw I hope these preview videos finally put to rest the 'remaster or remake' debate: i love the game, but it's clearly a remaster. Lots of 'bad' elements that are generationally better in Xenoblade 2. Which is ok. And this looks still great. A great remaster.

Jooxed

Gold Member
I don't believe it. And I read they saw the whole map in 4h. So maybe there's 20 hours of content overall, but not the story.

Btw I hope these preview videos finally put to rest the 'remaster or remake' debate: i love the game, but it's clearly a remaster. Lots of 'bad' elements that are generationally better in Xenoblade 2. Which is ok. And this looks still great. A great remaster.

I hope it's sizable for sure but I think anything pushing 10 hours would be big. I was only expecting a few hours to be honest.

It's clearly a remake.

I don't believe you that you'd be satisfied with those animations, the poly count and lack of modern effects if Xenoblade 3 looked like this game. Not sure why some feel so offended at the notion that it's a (great) remaster and not a remake (no, it doesn't matter if the engine changed or whatever, the visible end result matters).

Mr Hyde

I don't believe you that you'd be satisfied with those animations, the poly count and lack of modern effects if Xenoblade 3 looked like this game. Not sure why some feel so offended at the notion that it's a (great) remaster and not a remake (no, it doesn't matter if the engine changed or whatever, the visible end result matters).

I'm not offended. But a remake is a remake. A remaster is upping the res and framerate. Here Monolith have revamped the whole game. New engine, assets, animations, increased poly count and so on. They did the whole nine yard which is more work than that of a remaster. It's not hard to understand.

Nintendo saw Geoff and didn't want any Nacho Doritos and Mountain Dew staining their Switches.

Also, the N64 port back in the day probably scared Activision with limited Cartridge vibes. "NO! NOT LIMITED STORAGE! HOW CAN I DO THE 1080 SHRED ON A CARTRIDGE!"

Nintendo should make a Mario Skateboarding game and it will sell in the millions if Acti don't wanna do it.

Last edited:

StormCell

Nintendo saw Geoff and didn't want any Nacho Doritos and Mountain Dew staining their Switches.

Also, the N64 port back in the day probably scared Activision with limited Cartridge vibes. "NO! NOT LIMITED STORAGE! HOW CAN I DO THE 1080 SHRED ON A CARTRIDGE!"

Nintendo should make a Mario Skateboarding game and it will sell in the millions if Acti don't wanna do it.

Annnnnd snowboarding. Bring back snowboarding.

-Arcadia-

Banned
In light of the current situation I had to write another blog entry. Hope the right people (lurking) see it:

If it were legal, this company would sell us to human traffickers, and throw in OutrageousFacts OutrageousFacts as Season Pass extra content.

First season pass ever to be worth its money. 🐧

StormCell

In light of the current situation I had to write another blog entry. Hope the right people (lurking) see it:

First season pass ever to be worth its money. 🐧

In response to the blog post, I agree that it is really frustrating not hearing about anything. Radio silence is the worst communication. The flip side of the coin regarding this, OutrageousFacts, is that Nintendo is choosing to be understanding of their employees' transition and struggles. It's refreshing to see a corporation placing its people ahead of its business rather than going into crunch or whatever. Japan is not America or Europe, and working from home is not a common prospect over there.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Switch can't handle it

PGzX9ru.gif

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
In response to the blog post, I agree that it is really frustrating not hearing about anything. Radio silence is the worst communication. The flip side of the coin regarding this, OutrageousFacts, is that Nintendo is choosing to be understanding of their employees' transition and struggles. It's refreshing to see a corporation placing its people ahead of its business rather than going into crunch or whatever. Japan is not America or Europe, and working from home is not a common prospect over there.

I work with several major Japanese developers, and literally all of them are handling the situation better than Nintendo. They figured out working from home, and they're doing fine. Still slow as shit, because that's how they are, but that's more of a cultural problem than anything.

Anyway, despite my excitement for Xenoblade... looks like I'll be waiting a few weeks to play it. My new speakers won't be here until mid-June, and it just wouldn't be right to play that game without 'em.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Lol hopefully the beer, I had enough trying to dodge it at work man.. just got word we have another 5 confirmed cases in the building. Do you actually have it? Hope your well.
I'm waiting on my results but I'm pretty sure I have it. Supposed to call back tomorrow. I'm only dealing with head and body aches, dizziness, sore throat and a cough so luckily I don't have any respiratory issues. The testing process was the worst part about this whole mess lol.

I work with several major Japanese developers, and literally all of them are handling the situation better than Nintendo. They figured out working from home, and they're doing fine. Still slow as shit, because that's how they are, but that's more of a cultural problem than anything.

Anyway, despite my excitement for Xenoblade... looks like I'll be waiting a few weeks to play it. My new speakers won't be here until mid-June, and it just wouldn't be right to play that game without 'em.

And as I say, it's not just the lack of releases that's terrible. It's the lack of announcements, too.

If Nintendo revealed Monolith Soft's new ip, a 3D-DK and a new Paper Mario *now* and just added "due to Corona we can't promise to releasesl these games this year, but we'll do our best", NOBODY would be angry or disappointed. Because then at least we'd have awesome reveal-trailers and something awesome to look forward to. Atm all we have to look forward to is the rumor of old Mario-games coming to Switch.

StormCell

And as I say, it's not just the lack of releases that's terrible. It's the lack of announcements, too.

If Nintendo revealed Monolith Soft's new ip, a 3D-DK and a new Paper Mario *now* and just added "due to Corona we can't promise to releasesl these games this year, but we'll do our best", NOBODY would be angry or disappointed. Because then at least we'd have awesome reveal-trailers and something awesome to look forward to. Atm all we have to look forward to is the rumor of old Mario-games coming to Switch.

Agreed, and what sucks about this is that they won't do it because they believe it deflects consumer attention away from current software releases.

If Switch hardware wasn't selling so well, we'd be getting those announcements and trailers.

Top Bottom