• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF's Nintendo Discussion, News, and Speculation |OT|

Maybe people in general just like being moany bastards. I know I do. :)

Can confirm

1ajfxuE.jpg

Humdinger

I think on GAF there are a few factors at play when it comes to critics of Nintendo.

You have the dumbasses who just think that only "grown up" games are valid. This means violence, realistic graphics and story that should be like an HBO show or something. Nintendo for some reason brings out some insecurity there. Basically people trying to hard to show that they are cool and all grown up.

Outside of those you have people who think of criticism as a necessary part of everything and who don't really get that others are free to simply dismiss criticism. This covers the moaning about ports and prices and sequels etc. They get frustrated because I might say "well I am willing to pay 60 bucks for that so I no longer care and I'm just enjoying the game". They almost seem to think that they've decided something is bad and so we all need to get our pitchforks out.

So where I see a Nintendo Direct as nothing more than an advertisement for new and upcoming games there are some people who see it as something that should have them leaping around the room with joy at all the unexpected massive announcements.

Where I am just asking myself if the game is good to play they are almost wanting a life changing experience that they can then gloat or brag or something about and the cartoony graphics or whatever are getting in the way.

Any thread about sales figures will attract many posters who will start moaning about people accepting low standards or underpowered hardware etc.

Well, they do, especially on social media. If you have some spare time, look up "negativity bias" and check out Ten Arguments for Deleting Your Social Media Accounts Now, by Jaron Lanier.

I think the two factors there -- people's natural attraction to negativity/conflict/anger/outrage plus the dynamics of social media (e.g., anonymity, can berate other people without social consequences, jockeying for attention, reinforcement of negativity, feels good to put others down, etc.) create an atmosphere that ensures you get an unhealthy dose of complaining, insults, and negativity on any gaming forum.

The solution for me has been:

- figure out who the real trolls are and put them on ignore
- limit time on forums and take regular extended breaks from them
- restrict my engagement to threads that are focused on issues I care about (e.g., a particular game) rather than spec-based discussions and console warrior type topics
- not respond to people who throw out negative comments (that's usually part of the problem, people feel like they have to respond, then it just snowballs)
- ignore comments that come from people who just want to tear things down, complain, and criticize, without trying to see the other side. Those are unhappy people, just acting out their unhappiness online. It doesn't serve anyone to take their feedback on board.

StormCell

I think on GAF there are a few factors at play when it comes to critics of Nintendo.

You have the dumbasses who just think that only "grown up" games are valid. This means violence, realistic graphics and story that should be like an HBO show or something. Nintendo for some reason brings out some insecurity there. Basically people trying to hard to show that they are cool and all grown up.

Outside of those you have people who think of criticism as a necessary part of everything and who don't really get that others are free to simply dismiss criticism. This covers the moaning about ports and prices and sequels etc. They get frustrated because I might say "well I am willing to pay 60 bucks for that so I no longer care and I'm just enjoying the game". They almost seem to think that they've decided something is bad and so we all need to get our pitchforks out.

So where I see a Nintendo Direct as nothing more than an advertisement for new and upcoming games there are some people who see it as something that should have them leaping around the room with joy at all the unexpected massive announcements.

Where I am just asking myself if the game is good to play they are almost wanting a life changing experience that they can then gloat or brag or something about and the cartoony graphics or whatever are getting in the way.

Any thread about sales figures will attract many posters who will start moaning about people accepting low standards or underpowered hardware etc.

It sounds like many people in general are just toxic. I checked twitter and that checks out.

I enjoyed the internet a hell of a lot more when socializing on it consisted of going to little hole in the wall places where like-minded people got together and shared their common interests. The few people who enjoyed trolling were a nuisance but not a problem back then. There were always the few critical posters, but the few people who aren't toxic would usually find each other and settle in a nice community for a bit. Kinda like this thread.

Well I just got an Xbox series x I have no idea why but it’s pre ordered. That’s what I get for wanting a ps5
Don't abandon us here in Nintendo-land.

If I was picking one today, I'd probably pick the Xbox Series X. The backwards compatibility is really impressive, and it seems like a solid console. Neither of the new consoles seems like a must buy this holiday season, at least not to me. They both have a lot of potential, and it's nice to seem both companies committed to games this time around.

Jooxed

Gold Member
Don't abandon us here in Nintendo-land.

If I was picking one today, I'd probably pick the Xbox Series X. The backwards compatibility is really impressive, and it seems like a solid console. Neither of the new consoles seems like a must buy this holiday season, at least not to me. They both have a lot of potential, and it's nice to seem both companies committed to games this time around.

Haha I wont but really the only next gen game I want to play ATM is Final Fantasy XVI so I am in no hurry. I might get the system and try to get it to someone on GAF.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
110 fucking Shines. I'm getting there -Arcadia- -Arcadia- , I'm reaching the promised land.

That is awesome. I think 101 here? I might be scaling back for a bit, just getting a Shine here and there, with breaks, as I’m pretty Sunshined out, after a great time. I still want to hit 128 on this, though, just to finally say I did on one of my favorite games.

First time for you as well?

That is awesome. I think 101 here? I might be scaling back for a bit, just getting a Shine here and there, with breaks, as I’m pretty Sunshined out, after a great time. I still want to hit 128 on this, though, just to finally say I did on one of my favorite games.

First time for you as well?

Yes, first time! I think I finished Sunshine twice in the past, but never got the urge to go for full completion. I thought the blue coin hunt would be more annoying than it has been, but it's been pretty cool. I give it a legit go to find them and then check a guide to see which ones I missed. Some of the more hidden one can be really obscure and irritating, but having my phone next to me guiding me where to go mitigates that flaw somewhat.

This run is making me appreciate the game a whole lot more. The level design is overall fantastic. It may have vaulted over 3D Land on my 3D Mario ranking (well, until I replay 3D Land at least).

-Arcadia-

Banned
Yes, first time! I think I finished Sunshine twice in the past, but never got the urge to go for full completion. I thought the blue coin hunt would be more annoying than it has been, but it's been pretty cool. I give it a legit go to find them and then check a guide to see which ones I missed. Some of the more hidden one can be really obscure and irritating, but having my phone next to me guiding me where to go mitigates that flaw somewhat.

This run is making me appreciate the game a whole lot more. The level design is overall fantastic. It may have vaulted over 3D Land on my 3D Mario ranking (well, until I replay 3D Land at least).

Same here. I remember seeing how random one of the blue coins were in 2002, and was like, nope, nope, not ever doing this. I didn’t realize how many of the blue coins actually have some really fun, normal hiding places, or take just the right amount of thinking for that satisfying ‘aha’ moment.

And in 2020, the ones that make you say, ‘Really?!’, aren’t nearly as big of a deal when you can just YouTube them on your phone.

I actually want to play 3D Land sometime soon. I only ever just borrowed it, so I never quite finished the game, after finishing the game (only Nintendo Tokyo), and unlocking the hard levels, which were super-fun.

The problem is that I feel like that about every single Mario right now, and I’m wondering when to cut myself off, so I don’t risk burnout. Lol.

The problem is that I feel like that about every single Mario right now, and I’m wondering when to cut myself off, so I don’t risk burnout. Lol.

Yeah I'm feeling something similar as I approach the end of Sunshine. My plan was to play all the three games in sequence, now I'm not so sure and I'm thinking about taking a break before I dive into Galaxy. Then again, replaying it after replaying Sunshine and 64 could tell me a lot about the evolution of the series. And the games are so, so fun, it's tough to play something else.

I'm about 16 stars into Galaxy now after completing the first two and my main takeaway so far: it's just such a fun game to play. None of the tedious difficulty of those 'hard' Sunshine levels, just reasonable challenges with fun gameplay. Even the hard stuff (comets) are doable on the first try if you're reasonably competent. Also, the variety of levels and bosses is pretty incredible. I do, however, know that I'm really going to want to play Mario Galaxy 2 when I finish this one.

I'm about 16 stars into Galaxy now after completing the first two and my main takeaway so far: it's just such a fun game to play. None of the tedious difficulty of those 'hard' Sunshine levels, just reasonable challenges with fun gameplay. Even the hard stuff (comets) are doable on the first try if you're reasonably competent. Also, the variety of levels and bosses is pretty incredible. I do, however, know that I'm really going to want to play Mario Galaxy 2 when I finish this one.

How are you playing? Handheld, joycons or Pro Controller?

One of the greatest games of all time, Terranigma recently had it's 25th anniversary. If you like/love Zelda, this is a SNES game you will not want to miss out on if you haven't played it yet.

Vcy0JKE.jpg

Check out this dude's channel if you like the music from the game as well, his covers are really incredible, a bit slow on the start often but really good.

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
As I continue to play Xenoblade, I am realizing more and more that I really want the other Operation Rainfall games - The Last Story and Pandora's Tower - to come out on Switch. I never played Pandora's Tower, and The Last Story would benefit immensely from more horsepower. That was such an interesting era for Nintendo-published games.
All three are in my "To Play" list. I picked up Xenoblade on Switch. I really enjoyed Xenoblade 2 so looking forward to diving into the first.

One of the greatest games of all time, Terranigma recently had it's 25th anniversary. If you like/love Zelda, this is a SNES game you will not want to miss out on if you haven't played it yet.

Vcy0JKE.jpg

Check out this dude's channel if you like the music from the game as well, his covers are really incredible, a bit slow on the start often but really good.

Another game I really need to play. That video was great!

Shaqazooloo

@SLoWMoTIoN I'm almost done Mary Skelter 2, that Re:Quest game you told me about isn't on Switch so I've been thinking of just playing Y's VIII instead (bought it on sale).

Anything about the game I should know? You seemed to have high praise for it and I haven't played any of the titles in the series so not sure what to expect.

ExpandKong

Banned
@SLoWMoTIoN I'm almost done Mary Skelter 2, that Re:Quest game you told me about isn't on Switch so I've been thinking of just playing Y's VIII instead (bought it on sale).

Anything about the game I should know? You seemed to have high praise for it and I haven't played any of the titles in the series so not sure what to expect.

Oh I finished that one earlier this year. Fun game, little bit tropey but it's cozy. It was my first Ys too. Do the sidequests, they're typically not much of a bother and they add a bit to the characters.

ExpandKong

Banned
Fehhhhh cool for longtime fans of the franchise but I struggle to get into NES games that I didn't play myself back in the day. Need that emotional attachment in order to look past the everything else involved with playing a 30+ year-old game nowadays. Would've preferred an Echoes-style remake but I'm one of those assholes who didn't play one of these games until Awakening so what do I even know?

Nifty physical goodies though.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member

Did you like MK2 over Labyrinth of Refrain?

Yeah both Re:Quest games are only only the Ps4/Steam.

Dana is different from other YS titles so I can't really compare it to the older titles. I think if you liked Automata you'll prob like this game gameplay wise. Just not in the beginning. Story has a pretty basic start. You start your journey as a asexual adventurer and his totally straight friend from the previous game on a ship before shit happens and you find yourself stranded on a mysterious Island. I never played the Switch version and I heard it runs at 30fps. But I heard it plays just as "fast" as the Ps4 version. It has a decent cast, great music and if you don't feel anything by the end of the game you are deader than me inside yay!

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
C5gUXiw.png

YouTube comments are surprisingly good. Good luck to those waiting on Mother 3 and SMT. Also kind of ironic that Roy's game still is JPN only.
I replayed SMT1/2 last year on my modded 3DS. lol fuck waiting.

Fehhhhh cool for longtime fans of the franchise but I struggle to get into NES games that I didn't play myself back in the day. Need that emotional attachment in order to look past the everything else involved with playing a 30+ year-old game nowadays. Would've preferred an Echoes-style remake but I'm one of those assholes who didn't play one of these games until Awakening so what do I even know?

Nifty physical goodies though.
I hated Echoes and every character in the game.

Shaqazooloo

If you can get it for cheap yes. It is one of the better current gen dungeon crawlers that doesn't hold your hand with a fucked up story. I only played MK(1) on my Vita btw. How was 2?
Well, I didn't play the first one so I can't compare and this was actually the first time i've played a dungeon crawler but, my impressions are pretty good, the story and music are decent imo, game mechanics and customizing skills is good although blood skelter can be a bitch to deal with, I swear most times I have it down to a 20-40% chance of it happening, someone turns, bodies someone on the team and then another girl turns as a result. In some fights, the only threat to my team is my team lol. Boss fights were on the easy side early on but they ramp up eventually.

I only thing that I didn't really like were the characters which took me out of viewing the bonus scenes with them.

Saruhashi

Banned
What's the story with games only being available until end of March 2021?

I see that Fire Emblem game will only be available for a limited time. Makes no sense as this isn't the same level as Mario 3D All Stars so "forced scarcity" etc wouldn't apply.

Shaqazooloo

I see that Fire Emblem game will only be available for a limited time. Makes no sense as this isn't the same level as Mario 3D All Stars so "forced scarcity" etc wouldn't apply.
I guess it's standard with how Nintendo does anniversary games. They did it with the Wii release of All-Stars iirc only back then they didn't have digital releases.

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief

Seems to be the standard M.O. for their anniversary releases since Wii-era. It doesn't make sense for digital titles but it isn't the first time (Zelda Four Swords 3DS-they should port this to Switch too). Possible that we see Mario 64 on N64 NSO later and Sunshine + Galaxy as standalone releases down the road. I suspect they'll do another run at somepoint in the future.

Just wait until you see Metroid's 35th next year-a release limited to 0 copies.
People will actually be surprised when they show off 2D Metroid next year though

How are you playing? Handheld, joycons or Pro Controller?

So far mostly Pro Controller. However, that's mainly because I sit down, the controller is next to me, and by the time I remember separated Joy-Cons are best for Mario Galaxy I'm too lazy to get back up. I would definitely say separated Joy-Cons are preferred for controlling the cursor. Pro Controller works, but it gets a little awkward at times, especially in levels where there's a lot of required motion (e.g. Rolling Green Galaxy).

Top Bottom