• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Throwback: Aloy looks a little off.......

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Challenge accepted!

Daniel Day Lewis Fight GIF by MIRAMAX
That gave me an actual chuckle. Good job sir.
OT: I rewatched The Last of the Mohicans the other day. Daniel Day-Lewis is a hell of an actor. Not to mention really good-looking in his day. The fucker.

Mister Wolf

yup. Wait till the virtue signaling when this game wins awards. "It was great to finally play a female role without being sexualized and women can be strong too. blablablabla:messenger_smiling_with_eyes:" Bitch the design is literally saying that a woman's natural look shows weakness, therefore she needs to look more like a dude. Why not just kill her off and replace her with The Rock? Have her die in a sandwich making accident.

Shows how far they are up their own ass. Never argue with or oblige crazy people.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Shows how far they are up there own ass. Never argue with or oblige crazy people.

Those are mostly in California, right? Is it this hard to develop on other parts of the country/world? Seems very few in Europe + Japanese developers are good overall.

Corndog

Banned
They are objectively correct. Look at the average female soldier, or most females in extremely physical and tough situations. Of course I know you’ll link a picture of a few hot soldiers or athletes but my point will stand either way.

Here is a random collection of female ufc fighters. Most have somewhat masculine features and that’s with professionally done hair and make up. Not someone living in a small hut without technology or mirrors.

Collection of female body builders

Non cherry picked collection of some female soldiers

If you people would just outright admit “I can not get a half decent looking girlfriend in real life, attractive females in video games I can fantasize about being my waifus is one of few small pleasures I get from the other sex, thus I want developers to make sure they are attractive.” I’d have so much more respect for the pathetic whining. Do you know why I can’t give a half rats ass about what aloy looks like in this game? I have 0 intention of jacking it too her. I won’t think about how great a girlfriend she’d make to me. I’ll play as her, pick an outfit I think looks bad ass, and enjoy the game. It’s got nothing to do with sjw or otherwise.

GG is completely right in their statement. I can never take characters like tifa being super powerful seriously. Yea 10 inch waistline triple d tits makes for an excellent fighter.
Nice changing the subject plus a personal attacks on complete strangers.

Mister Wolf

Those are mostly in California, right? Is it this hard to develop on other parts of the country/world? Seems very few in Europe + Japanese developers are good overall.

Its spread across this whole country. Insanity/mental illness can spread like a disease because humans parrot one another. The internet although a blessing for connecting the world is the chief reason why its so bad now.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Its spread across this whole country. Insanity/mental illness can spread like a disease because humans parrot one another. The internet although a blessing for connecting the world is the chief reason why its so bad now.

I honestly kinda miss the old kinds of games, being a hero police, and many other types are disappearing. New games and movies in general seem to overestimate criminals instead of giving them the place they deserve = garbage.

Last edited:
Reminder that they purposely made her ugly because they think Beautiful or feminine woman can't be strong.

1622459284393.jpg
“the original model portraying Aloy looked like she would “cry if she broke a nail.””

Like the original concept art or Hannah Hoekstra? I was absolutely shocked to see that Aloy was modeled after Hannah. I don’t think they look remotely similar, even in the first game. Image how Hannah must’ve felt if they were referring to her. It’s really insulting.

Renozokii

Nice changing the subject plus a personal attacks on complete strangers.
This thread is filled with personal attacks on anyone it deems sjw, Sony, and guerilla games. And truth must hurt huh. Well adjusted individuals that have girls in their life that don’t find them repulsive don’t spend their time complaining about a video game character having a slightly more average looking face and said character not being attractive enough by their standards. I don’t care how much people whine or bitch. It’s simple reality.

Rodolink

This is true. Erend face is 10 times weirder than Aloy's and no one mentioned. Even the thisrty plastic skin character at the beginning look a bit weird. Maybe is a problem with the faces overall, like in Avengers, not a specific issue with Aloy.
yes, for me at least it's also the timing for the face animations, like the animation curves are blending at the wrong times, an eyebrow raises while cheeks expand in an uncanny expression using the wrong muscles etc. Not easy to animate realistic faces.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The thing is about fat face Aloy isn't so much the looks now. But the CHANGE in looks.

If Aloy in Horizon 1 was a chubby face, tiny waist red head, and the new game is the same look but with better resolution and textures, that would be fine.

Instead they dumbed down her look to be pudgy as Sony is gunning for the 5/10 look across all games now for females. Although amazingly, the hunks like Joel still looks like a solid gritty guy like in LoU 1. And the Days Gone guy isn't an average looking pudge face either. And Kratos in the latest game is just as bad ass as ever with a biker beard.

Funny how the male characters still ooze grizzled manly aura.

The next game with a key lead is Ragnarok I think. If it's Kratos again, lets see if he gets a change or if they keep him stereotyped buff and chiseled.

Last edited:

Venom Snake

Good point in your last paragraph....discussion is good. If games are to be considered 'art' like TV and movies, then they will have criticism as well. That's fine.

Nobody's saying that protagonists need to resemble "Disney princesses," as you say. However, intentionally modifying a character due to a certain ideology or point of view is being looked down on by a lot of posters- IF that's in fact what this is. I don't see how saying that a character should look more like the actor or actress portraying that character is bad or a big deal. There are plenty of ways to maintain that 'realism' without such modifications.

Also, if we use the case that games will mirror TV and movies as 'art,' tell me....how many ugly people are starring on TV shows or movies these days again? Are those characters in movies and TV 'realistic?' Yeah, I think we all know the answer to that question. Because they are 'entertainment' they often represent the IDEALS of the human race rather than the reality. Now with games, we already have characters like Nathan Drake and Aloy that can tirelessly climb and jump up MOUNTAINS AND CLIFFS, regardless of grip and upper body strength ratios...then effortlessly aim rifles or guns immediately after with no shaking..... So how exactly is appearance the ONE THING that they'll make "realistic?" Is that really the hill we're going to die on when it comes to video games??? :)

It seems to me that a lot comes down to what the creative collective understands by "entertainment". An escape from reality or a journey into its depths? Maybe a bit of both, for some extra flavour?
All these completely unreal things, such as extreme climbing, shootings, and spectacular chase-scenes are, in fact, elements of gameplay.
The things we do. It does not say anywhere that the hero must necessarily be built around this in order to complete the scheme.
And this is what creative freedom is all about, the possibility of mixing different elements together, creating characters or psychological profiles, regardless of the absurdities of gameplay. Even if it does not meet our tastes.

Of course, there are other aspects as well, such as the organization of work in a game studio, top-down decisions dictated by the ideology you mentioned or political correctness. The subordination of creative processes to assumptions not entirely resulting from the idea of creative freedom is a vast topic.

I do not think, however, that the case we are talking about here is so far beyond the norm that it deserves to be dissected in such manner.
But yeah, the choice is always up to each of us. That is why I support choices, both the more and the less obvious ones.

Or maybe i am really fucking dumb. :messenger_grimmacing_

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Was hoping someone would do this! Looks lovely.
That does look good. It's not an over the top Disney Princess (like that pic someone did days ago with caked on make up gleaming white teeth) and it's not a pudge face.

Amazingly, someone probably did this good looking pic on photoshop in an hour. And it looks better than than what the entire team did at GG.

I'd say this pic is even a closer resemblance to Aloy in Horizon 1 than the new Aloy.

Last edited:

Md Ray

The actress is hot no doubt.

Aloy is at best a bj on a lonely night.

There is no way I would lick Aloys anything. Regardless what you sicos say. It would be sweaty and wiped with a leaf if your lucky.

That’s how I like my tribal cavewomen. I’d make her peel off her little moleskin undergarments and give me the dirtiest sloppiest head you could imagine. I’d just toss her a bronze coin and she’d think I am some sort of deity.
giphy.gif

Corndog

Banned
This thread is filled with personal attacks on anyone it deems sjw, Sony, and guerilla games. And truth must hurt huh. Well adjusted individuals that have girls in their life that don’t find them repulsive don’t spend their time complaining about a video game character having a slightly more average looking face and said character not being attractive enough by their standards. I don’t care how much people whine or bitch. It’s simple reality.
It’s called you don’t have a point so you change the subject and then resort to personal attacks. You pigeonhole everyone into one stereotype. Everyone has different reasons why they like or dislike an aspect of the game. And they should be able to discuss it without their motives being attacked.

edit: and since when it criticizing a company a “personal attack”?

Last edited:

Sinthor

Gold Member
“the original model portraying Aloy looked like she would “cry if she broke a nail.””

Like the original concept art or Hannah Hoekstra? I was absolutely shocked to see that Aloy was modeled after Hannah. I don’t think they look remotely similar, even in the first game. Image how Hannah must’ve felt if they were referring to her. It’s really insulting.
Ah, so per these people, femininity is weak. Looking feminine means you're weak. So how does that square with the 'women can do everything a man can do' crowd, I wonder? So women have to look more masculine and be strong, but you don't want men looking like that because it's 'toxic,' so feminize the men. Got it! Makes perfect sense! lol.

How insulting to women is that, by the way? I'm betting quite a lot.

Corndog

Banned
The thing is about fat face Aloy isn't so much the looks now. But the CHANGE in looks.

If Aloy in Horizon 1 was a chubby face, tiny waist red head, and the new game is the same look but with better resolution and textures, that would be fine.

Instead they dumbed down her look to be pudgy as Sony is gunning for the 5/10 look across all games now for females. Although amazingly, the hunks like Joel still looks like a solid gritty guy like in LoU 1. And the Days Gone guy isn't an average looking pudge face either. And Kratos in the latest game is just as bad ass as ever with a biker beard.

Funny how the male characters still ooze grizzled manly aura.

The next game with a key lead is Ragnarok I think. If it's Kratos again, lets see if he gets a change or if they keep him stereotyped buff and chiseled.
Maybe he will get a beer belly.

Renozokii

It’s called you don’t have a point so you change the subject and then resort to personal attacks. You pigeonhole everyone into one stereotype. Everyone has different reasons why they like or dislike an aspect of the game. And they should be able to discuss it without their motives being attacked.
What point did I change? Literally don’t know what you’re on about. And stop pretending like anyone with a shred of common sense that has had interactions with females outside of “hello” doesn’t know what the motives are here. No one with a girl waiting for him at home is sitting in the bathroom at work writing comments about how upset at western devs he is for not giving him enough waifus. We know this. You can pretend we don’t know this. But we know this. Sony released stated the ps5 has an over 40% female instal base, which is crazy compared to female presence in consoles just some years ago. If the appearance of a character like aloy makes female gamers feel more welcome in gaming than that’s a great thing. Since they are fictional characters you will never fuck, and there’s plenty of plastic surgery having, make up drenched, quad d, 10 inch waistline female characters coming from Japan still, I think you’ll survive.

if I wanna jack it there’s infinite content on the internet for me. I’ll make do without a super model aloy.

Top Bottom