• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

G.A.M.E. 4.0 - Chiptunes/Retro SEXPLOSION!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pirahna1

Also, when I lowered the tempo of my song in FL Studio from 133 to 120 it ran at the same speed as the one in the zip, however the one in the zip is also pitched down considerably.

Shit, I just paged the thread. Make sure to read my last post as well.

pirahna1

Hey Monchi, the tempo's perfect, but now it's transposed down an octave, or at least half a step, I can't really tell. :lol

Talk about technical difficulties! I'm sorry my track is giving you so many problems. :(

lil smoke

Banned
This sounds like a case of people using different sample rates. Monchi you need to master the 44khz songs in 44, and the 48 in 48, or you can convert the 48s to 44.

FightyF

Banned
I'm at work and I can't put it loud, but it sounds like my track is at the right tempo. I did record at 44.1 Khz 32-bit.

lil smoke

Banned
monchi-kun said:
i'll give that a try smoke
Preferably you should have the all mastering done in 48khz, so you would import the tracks and upconvert the 44.1 tracks there. It's better to master at a higher sample rate, especially if you have plug-ins or use processes that have internal upsampling. All your processing will be done in a higher resolution.

Since we aren't creating CDs, nothing needs to go back down to 44.1. You can convert to MP3 straight from the 48. If we were making CDs, the tracks would need to be converted to 44.1/16 and dithered.

Oops...i was sure i sent you the PM monchi....

I also have to add that my track was recorded at 96Khz / 24 bit..........

Perhaps we should agree on certain recording matters before we start on 5.......

lil smoke

Banned
Albino_Samurai said:

Perhaps we should agree on certain recording matters before we start on 5.......
Whoa! You da man!

hows that?
I merely wanted to record the old sounds in their best quality.
Could have sampled them all in 8 bit on my S2000, but where's the fun in that? :D

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Albino_Samurai said:

mine too. in my case i did not have much of a choice, though, as ds-10 outputs at 32kHz, and you don't want to re-sample a digitally-originated 32k wave at 40-something kHz.

Albino_Samurai said:

no wonder your file was 200+ megs

I wanted to try this out...

what do you guys think of Matched EQ? Soundtrack pro allows me to sample music and "listen" to its EQ signature. Once i've got this captured I can apply it to everyone's tracks.

I'll upload alternate versions of everyone's songs tonight using matched eq but because this is applied to all tracks it's kind of an all or nothing decision from all of us. :D

pirahna1

I'm not sure how that matched EQ would sound, but I don't really understand what it would do to the tracks either. In my case my kick is more of a sub-bass rumble than a standard kick, so everyone else's tracks would have a muddy low-end when my song's EQ was applied to their tracks. Or, vice versa, my track would lose it's kick when other's EQs are applied to my track. At least, that's my understanding.

But hey, if you're up for the test, try it out and let's see how it sounds.

lil smoke

Banned
Matched EQ might work in some situations, for example if all of your songs were being mastered for an album and you wanted a consistent spectrum. Or if you have a song, and you have been referencing a pro track, have similar instruments and dynamics, you may want to try an EQ match to mimick the main important frequencies of that pro track.

With different people's tracks, however as Pirhana has mentioned, different instruments, different rooms, monitoring... EQ matching is going to add and subtract frequencies on a non-program dependent level, meaning it might boost the bass in song one that already has a lot of bass, or cut the snap out of someone's snare. When mastering a variety of tracks, it's best to give separate attention to each song. It's kinda like you have a bunch of cakes, cookies, cupcakes and this matching EQ is going to put the exact same frosting on all of it.

I'd love to hear it though. :D

Broseybrose

monchi-kun said:
I wanted to try this out...

what do you guys think of Matched EQ? Soundtrack pro allows me to sample music and "listen" to its EQ signature. Once i've got this captured I can apply it to everyone's tracks.

I'll upload alternate versions of everyone's songs tonight using matched eq but because this is applied to all tracks it's kind of an all or nothing decision from all of us. :D
This is curious. Especially since its going to be released as an album where youll be listening straight through, the album's EQ ideally would be uniform.

pirahna1

Broseybrose said:
This is curious. Especially since its going to be released as an album where youll be listening straight through, the album's EQ ideally would be uniform.

Yeah, but almost no albums are mastered that way because different songs require different EQ settings. Like smoke said earlier, if a bass heavy song is EQ'd as a song with no bass, then you'll either lose your bass on one song or the other song will be muddy in the lower EQ range.

As an example, straight through mix-tape like albums (Sasha's Airdrawndagger and Deadmau5's Random Album Title) arn't globally EQ'd because of this reason.

lil smoke

Banned
pirahna1 said:
Yeah, but almost no albums are mastered that way because different songs require different EQ settings. Like smoke said earlier, if a bass heavy song is EQ'd as a song with no bass, then you'll either lose your bass on one song or the other song will be muddy in the lower EQ range.

As an example, straight through mix-tape like albums (Sasha's Airdrawndagger and Deadmau5's Random Album Title) arn't globally EQ'd because of this reason.
I'm thinking because this is a chiptune kinda comp, it might benefit from a certain "type" of overall feel... at least I'm curious. I just want to hear something! Where are you Monchi? I have this evening set aside!

i'm here...just making sure i got this whole tempo issue sorted first...tracks probably won't be up until the morning since i'm planning an all-nighter :)

once i get the set-ups right (master all the 120 bpm separate from the non 120 titles) i can easily kick out Matched EQ'd and dry tracks for all to listen to. This is why it's an all or nothing decision :)

give me a couple more hours and i'll have all the files ready

just for information purposes, was there a "export as loop" or "convert to loop" option in FL Studio? i'm curious to see if that's how you exported your file

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Well there was a "looped" area but i doubt that had anything to do with the actual data stored

im guessing the "Save ACIDized" option is what messed it all up

An ACIDized WAV file is similar to a normal WAV file except that it contains extra information. ACIDized WAVs contain information regarding the original Key of the sample, the original BPM of the sample and additional information such as the length in bars etc.

They are called ACIDized because they were developed by Sonic Foundry for use with their Acid Pro software. (now owned by Sony). Though there are now numerious other programs that are able to read (and some that even write) ACIDized WAVs.

Fabiollo

DopeyFish said:
im guessing the "Save ACIDized" option is what messed it all up

Uh... I'm not sure, but maybe I accidentally saved my song as ACIDized (it's a default option). Any problems with my track, Monchi?

aha, yes, if saved as ACIDized Soundtrack pro will treat your songs as loop files. This means that it's time signature and key are effected by the project settings.

no worries though, i re-rendered your songs as AIFF files and that took away all the extra data.

songs uploading (matched eq) on zshare...71% and counting

Click HERE for the mp3s of the latest round of renders. This one's got the matched eq settings I was talking about. I've listened through and it doesn't sound too bad but i'd like everyone's feedback. I will post the non-matched eq versions after band practice

Should we discuss track order? I don't care really except for the last track. I vote HAPPY CHIPCORE as the album closer...it's perfect "credits" music

anyways...feedback on tracks before by sunday and after that I pass em on to LiveFromKyoto for the release announcement :D

http://www.zshare.net/download/54927171ad047b8b/

monchi-kun said:
Click HERE for the mp3s of the latest round of renders. This one's got the matched eq settings I was talking about. I've listened through and it doesn't sound too bad but i'd like everyone's feedback. I will post the non-matched eq versions after band practice

Should we discuss track order? I don't care really except for the last track. I vote HAPPY CHIPCORE as the album closer...it's perfect "credits" music

anyways...feedback on tracks before by sunday and after that I pass em on to LiveFromKyoto for the release announcement :D

http://www.zshare.net/download/54927171ad047b8b/

Congratulations! I'm at work all day but I'll try giving it a listen when I get home.

Do we have a go-to mod to contact about getting a sticky thread up?

bish was always a fan, PM him.

once we decide on which version we like the best i'll add all the necessary tag data and re-render the final versions for distribution.

23 tracks, 15 artists, 7 frustrating mastering sessions...and we're almost there folks :)

Garcia

Excelent Monchi ! I'm already downloading :) . Damn... 7 sessions man ! Lots of collective learning happened during the process. Thanks a lot for investing so much time in order to make it sound perfect.

blu

btkadams said:
fuck my life is over.

when trying to unzip it i get: "Error 1 - Operation not permitted"
are you trying to unzip in public? ;p

ok, what os is that?

btkadams

blu said:
are you trying to unzip in public? ;p

ok, what os is that?
Apple Macintosh OSX Leopard Version 10.5.6

okay relax guys, i know you were jumping up and down at the chance to help me. i redownloaded and it unzipped fine. i have no idea what went wrong the first time.

pirahna1

I hate to be a debbie-downer but the matched EQ messed up the dynamics of my song. Too many highs are pushing through and my bass is all but subdued. Other than that everything else sounds just fine.

btkadams

pirahna1 said:
I hate to be a debbie-downer but the matched EQ messed up the dynamics of my song. Too many highs are pushing through and my bass is all but subdued. Other than that everything else sounds just fine.
Picture%2050_2.larger.jpg

and monchi you spell world differently in your track names.

OVRWHIRLD
UHNDRWHRLD

wouldn't you want them to be spelt more similar?

OHVRWHRLD
UHNDRWHRLD

or

OVRWHIRLD
UNDRWHIRLD

Garcia

lil smoke said:
The highs are a tad brittle.

I'm also getting that. I re-adjusted the levels in my sound card and with a 15-18% Treble reduction / 10 to 15% Bass increase it sounds much better to me. Don't know about u guys ?

( Then again, this is only with headphones on. )

blu

lil smoke said:
The highs are a tad brittle.
luckily i had none to boot ; )

*goes to download after a stupidly long work week*

I don't know how to explain this, but my songs sound really weird with the Matched EQ. It has this sort of weird radio filter effect. :eek: It becomes especially apparent when I listen to the songs right after hearing the "true" versions. Yeah, I think I'd a prefer the non-matched EQ versions.

lil smoke

Banned
blu said:
luckily i had none to boot ; )

*goes to download after a stupidly long work week*
haha

yeah, I thought some of the tracks were louder than others, some had bass, some didn't. I dunno if that was the eq matching or not. I guess it's worth it to say that if there's something in your mix that isn't standing out compared to the others, it's best to 'fix it in the mix' as they say. All in all, I could do without the matching, it feels 'filtery' and phasey.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom