• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

G.A.M.E. 4.0 - Chiptunes/Retro SEXPLOSION!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

FightyF

Banned
lil smoke said:
All in all, I could do without the matching, it feels 'filtery' and phasey.

Just unzipped the file and I have yet to unzip my pants listening to it, but I have to agree with your logic. I'm no expert, but I would think that music and songs that range different genres would also range different frequencies in terms of stressing different frequencies. So when attempting to reach a common denominator you're going to sacrifice a little from each track to hit a middle ground.

FightyF

Banned
pirahna1 said:
Hey Fighty, any info on 3.1?

Yeah, I'll be releasing it very soon here. I'll update the official thread once it's out and give it a bump.

LiveFromKyoto: I don't think I did, as I probably got that PM when I was on my hiatus. I'll contact everyone if there are issues. I'll way more time this week as I was laid off :p so I hope to have it early in the next week.

FightyF

Banned
Just making sure, are you going to name the artist on the MP3 tags to be of our artists names, or GAF names? I'd prefer artist so it's tracked better on sites like LastFM.

pirahna1

FightyF said:
Just making sure, are you going to name the artist on the MP3 tags to be of our artists names, or GAF names? I'd prefer artist so it's tracked better on sites like LastFM.

Speaking of which, how did you guys come up with your artist names? I can't think of one, or if I do it's already taken by some crazy unknown band in the Ukraine. :lol But there's no way I'm sharing a last.fm page with a shit-tastic Russian punk-core band.

btkadams

FightyF said:
wait a second... am i on lastfm or something?

pirahna1

btkadams said:
WTF! lol how does this happen? that's so weird.

Read about it here: http://www.last.fm/about

Basically, it's a background app that records every song you listen to (mine is connected to my winamp) so if I play HowHiAreYou it lets last.fm know and it records a listen to my profile. You can keep track of your favorite artists and how many plays you have. Example: I have 1,100 Chemical Brothers plays and 550 The Police plays etc etc.

And by having friends on last.fm you can see what they listen to. It also lets you know what other artists you might like based on your playlist and everyone on last.fm playlists. If people who have a lot of Chemical Brothers plays also have a ton of Moby plays then Moby will be an artist that someone who listens to the Chems might like, yadda yadda.

My last.fm profile: http://www.last.fm/user/pirahna1
You can see what I'm listening to RIGHT NOW! How cool is that shit. I love it.

btkadams

pirahna1 said:
Read about it here: http://www.last.fm/about

Basically, it's a background app that records every song you listen to (mine is connected to my winamp) so if I play HiHowAreYou it lets last.fm know and it records a listen to my profile. You can keep track of your favorite artists and how many plays you have. Example: I have 1,100 Chemical Brothers plays and 550 The Police plays etc etc.

And by having friends on last.fm you can see what they listen to. It also lets you know what other artists you might like based on your playlist and everyone on last.fm playlists. If people who have a lot of Chemical Brothers plays also have a ton of Moby plays then Moby will be an artist that someone who listens to the Chems might like, yadda yadda.

My last.fm profile: http://www.last.fm/user/pirahna1
You can see what I'm listening to RIGHT NOW! How cool is that shit. I love it.
wtf? thats pretty cool i must admit. i'll have to look into this.

re-rendering the songs w/o matched EQ and will upload shortly. i used some chiptunes i downloaded as the matched eq source and it heavily favored mids/highs which is why you guys are probably not feeling the bass

yes, the artist names will be changed, this just helps me keep track of stuff :)

Dartastic

I'm gonna hold off on listening to them until they're all done. I'm excited, especially to hear my own track after it's been done right. =p

btkadams

monchi-kun said:
re-rendering the songs w/o matched EQ and will upload shortly. i used some chiptunes i downloaded as the matched eq source and it heavily favored mids/highs which is why you guys are probably not feeling the bass

yes, the artist names will be changed, this just helps me keep track of stuff :)
yeah, knowing which gaffer "Blake Adams" is must be easy to forget lol.

Broseybrose

monchi- without an upload to compare pre-eq to post-eq i cant tell which is better, but the tracks you did upload sound really good to me. I heard barely a difference in my song...

btkadams

monchi-kun said:
ha ha ha, this is just perfect....Soundtrack Pro won't start up anymore. It just hangs on launch....time to reinstall
calm down. stop freaking out. you're freaking out. stop it. now. stop freaking. out.

nah man i wish i could help. i wish i didnt suck so much at music equipment lol otherwise i would be helping out. my audio system stuff sucks.

Fabiollo

Just listened to all of the songs. I like them all, but some are really amazing. Nice work!

I really like Ghosthouse84, it reminded me of the Mass Effect credits (that was a song by the Faunts, very different, but it gave me the same vibe).

I also liked OK Now You Go: it's like the starting theme of a old Sega game. Soooooo... I would suggest OK Now you Go as the first track, and Ghosthouse84 as the last one. But everything will do.

monchi-kun said:

I don't know if it was the EQ, but my track (That One Game You Never Finished Back When) came out severely mangled somehow, particularly the last third. I hear the clicking you were talking about before, there's a flange happening throughout, and there are all kinds of weird audio artifacts showing up all over the place - to the point where it almost sounds like there's an extra audio track happening in the last third of the song. Not sure what's causing it, when I bounced straight to mp3 it came out fine, same with listening to the .wav directly in quicktime.

Compositionally I think everybody did really well with this. I wasn't sure how it would turn out, a lot of chiptune stuff comes out sounding feeble, but on my first listen-through it's sounding pretty strong.

Broseybrose

yeah, i really like a lot of the songs. i also heard that strange clipping you^ were talking about in your song. he'll be able to get rid of it. right, monchi?

btkadams

you guys did so well with this, i'm honoured to be on this comp with you. all fantastic tracks! and its the perfect amount of songs for a cd lol yayyyyyyy.

Good News! Soundtrack Pro back and running. I had to remove and then reinstall Logic Studio....all of it! including the content!

Bad News! I'm going to be in Vancouver for work so rendered files won't be posted until monday night.

LiveFromKyoto - I get the clicks and pops when I play your file. I tried running the clicks/pop fix in Soundtrack Pro but it gets to about 70% before it hangs on your song. What sample rate is your song rendered to? Can you re-render your file with an adaptive limiter at the end of your FX sequence (I assume you are also using Logic).

Garcia

I just heard the entire album and I just can say it sounds amazing. Just amazing. I'm so happy to be a part of it.

i just finished my first listen and i have to say it sounds realy good sofar!
Going by the tracks i have to say that i think this might be our best album we've made to this point.
Gonna give it a go on my Ipod and have anotother comparison.

One thing i do notice though is the same sounds returning in several songs...
Like most people have used the same VST or samples.....
But weirdly enough, they all sound excellent!
Gonna give the entire album a review from song to song when it's actualy finished.
Well impressed sofar!

Garcia

Fabiollo said:
Oh, Happy Chipcore is fantastic. Can't get it out of my head. Lots of great tracks, guys.

I think Happy Chipcore would be a great album closer. I really really like it !

Edit: It is incredible how perfectly they all match together regardless the order they're being played. Damn guys, wonderful job.

Garcia

Btw Monchi, I just noticed that due to the reverb in my tracks, the volume of them is slightly lower comparing it to the rest of the songs. Do you think that the sound quality would be compromised if you just raised the levels for them a little bit ?

Edit: After a 2nd hearing, yes... they're definitely lower than the others. I have to raise the volume for them to match the levels of the other tracks.

LiveFromKyoto said:
I don't know if it was the EQ, but my track (That One Game You Never Finished Back When) came out severely mangled somehow, particularly the last third. I hear the clicking you were talking about before, there's a flange happening throughout, and there are all kinds of weird audio artifacts showing up all over the place - to the point where it almost sounds like there's an extra audio track happening in the last third of the song. Not sure what's causing it, when I bounced straight to mp3 it came out fine, same with listening to the .wav directly in quicktime.

Crackle and disformation confirmed...
Shows up all weird in Wavelab too.

monchi-kun said:
What sample rate is your song rendered to?

Pretty sure it was 44100.

Can you re-render your file with an adaptive limiter at the end of your FX sequence (I assume you are also using Logic).

I just went and slapped one with the average limit preset into every channel strip, we'll see what that does. Like I said, when I listen to the .wav in quicktime I don't hear any of this, so I can't really check against it. There's something weird going on during the mixdown.

I've sent a PM with the link.

lil smoke

Banned
LiveFromKyoto said:
Pretty sure it was 44100.

I just went and slapped one with the average limit preset into every channel strip, we'll see what that does. Like I said, when I listen to the .wav in quicktime I don't hear any of this, so I can't really check against it. There's something weird going on during the mixdown.

I've sent a PM with the link.
LFK, what are your meters reading when you bounce your WAV down? Limiting every channel may not be the solution. Try and find a channel that might be overloading either the channel or the virtual instrument/effect. Sometimes, you can't hear clicks/pops until after the file is bounced, and converting it further to MP3 really makes it worse.

You might try to take the limiters off and back every channel down 3-4 db and rebounce. That track was really nice. We'll try to get it sorted.

I'm loving everything! Everything fits well together, even though there is a nice variation of tracks. You really do get everyone's different personalities coming thru.

m0dus

Banned
Monchi, make sure you PM evilore when you make the release thread, so he has a chance to sticky it and make a frontpage announcement.

Oh yeah, and guys, I was incognito for pretty much all of the composition. Does my track fit in there ok?

Lastly, for GAME 5, I say we do an overclocked-remixed style of track. hi-end remixes of our favorite 8 and 16-bit tunes.

m0dus said:
Monchi, make sure you PM evilore when you make the release thread, so he has a chance to sticky it and make a frontpage announcement.

Oh yeah, and guys, I was incognito for pretty much all of the composition. Does my track fit in there ok?

Lastly, for GAME 5, I say we do an overclocked-remixed style of track. hi-end remixes of our favorite 8 and 16-bit tunes.

Sounded pretty good to me.

While listening i came up with a new theme..."Multiplayer"....

Maybe we could do this for G.A.M.E. 7 or 8 or something....

pirahna1

m0dus said:

Expand that to 32-bit and we might have a deal ;)

Ok kids here's the lnk to the non-matched EQ songs.

http://www.zshare.net/download/55069009bceb65c4/

I bumped up everyone's track loudness a bit so things come through louder now that the EQ is not being applied universally. I decided to keep the EQ for my tracks since it boosted my highs/mids. If anyone prefers their matched-eq version I will re-render your song.

Please check your track (as well as their title and artist names) and get me feedback for any last minute tweaks before these get handed off to LiveFromKyoto when he creates the launch post.

A bunch of you guys haven't submitted liner notes so please PM them to me so I can add that data in the comments section of iTunes for all your tracks

final feedback no later than FRIDAY or else we'll consider your track done

btkadams

Broseybrose said:
Thanks monchi, dling now.

liner notes? is that like where we just say whatever about our song?
yeah whats a liner note exactly? i'm sure people would get a kick out of what i have to say about each song lol.

monchi-kun said:
Ok kids here's the lnk to the non-matched EQ songs.

http://www.zshare.net/download/55069009bceb65c4/

I bumped up everyone's track loudness a bit so things come through louder now that the EQ is not being applied universally. I decided to keep the EQ for my tracks since it boosted my highs/mids. If anyone prefers their matched-eq version I will re-render your song.

Please check your track (as well as their title and artist names) and get me feedback for any last minute tweaks before these get handed off to LiveFromKyoto when he creates the launch post.

A bunch of you guys haven't submitted liner notes so please PM them to me so I can add that data in the comments section of iTunes for all your tracks

Did you have any luck with the resubmitted track I sent you? If push comes to shove I can just try a blanket normalization, or just bouncing straight to MP3 myself if the levels are okay with you. I've got a non-limited version on my iPod that sounds just fine.

resub version sounds fine on my end but give this one a listen. I didn't notice any clicks or pops this time around

Broseybrose said:
Thanks monchi, dling now.

liner notes? is that like where we just say whatever about our song?

read LFK's OP for the details. if i don't have any comments for changes/tweaks by thursday then i'll render out the final version of all the songs.

FightyF

Banned
Albino_Samurai said:
Sounded pretty good to me.

While listening i came up with a new theme..."Multiplayer"....

Maybe we could do this for G.A.M.E. 7 or 8 or something....

"Multiplayer Co-Op" ? As in, collaboration time? :D

m0dus

Banned
I would certainly be up for some co-op. TWO artists per track would probably be the sweetspot.

But 8 to 16-bit remixes (in the days BEFORE REDBOOK CD AUDIO) would kickass for Game 5

m0dus said:
I would certainly be up for some co-op. TWO artists per track would probably be the sweetspot.

here's one of my favorite tracks from 8bitcollective, it's about duelling magicians

http://www.8bitcollective.com/music/Bunnymajs/(ReMADE)+Excellent+Use+of+Magic,+My+lad../

This is a story of a Master and Student Dueling in magic..
The bass Represent the master and the arps the student
They battle back and forth in a adventure to learn
and explore the possibilitys in life haha :D

Thanks for listening again :)
www.Myspace.com/Bunnymajs

pirahna1

Lovin' this comp. You all did an amazing job. I'm listening through atm, I'll post my takes on opener and closer, if we haven't decided on them yet.

Once again, great job everyone. I can't wait to see what we come up with for GAME 5.0.

pirahna1

m0dus said:
But 8 to 16-bit remixes (in the days BEFORE REDBOOK CD AUDIO) would kickass for Game 5

Screw that, I was referring to Uematsu's work when he still used internal sound chips and GM, eg. FFVII.

Sanjuro

Is it readY?

2rgkrgo.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom