• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fuck fireworks!

brap

Banned
I live in an average neighborhood, and assholes setting off loud fireworks, getting my poor pets all upset :(

Stupid children who find amusement in things going boom, having to give my little pup such anxiety. She won't stop panting and shaking no matter how much we try to comfort her.

Xotjcdu.jpg
Cute doggo.

Last edited:

Shantae

Banned
On fourth of July weekend and New years it's okay. People that do it for weeks on end are the problem like how do you spend so much money on that stuff it's already expensive enough for one night let alone multiple nights.
That's part of the problem too. It's especially bad tonight, but people have been doing at least a few these for weeks now.

G-Bus

Banned
Love fireworks. So much damn fun.

Now that I'm 32 with a kid and two dogs. Fuck you you little pricks setting these off at night right by my house.

I get both sides.

Laughing to myself because I was once that little pricks. Good times.

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
Big event fireworks shows can be pretty cool looking, but backyard stuff is annoying as fuck, I've never spent any money on that crap.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I grew up around a bunch of dumbasses and have good memories of doing dangerous shit with fireworks. Caught my shirt on fire one year when a Roman candle shot out from the butt instead of the front. But yeah, I can see why people with pets would be really bothered by random assholes lighting of M-80s and cherry bombs in their neighborhoods.

Fireworks shows are awesome, though.

Shantae

Banned
I grew up around a bunch of dumbasses and have good memories of doing dangerous shit with fireworks. Caught my shirt on fire one year when a Roman candle shot out from the butt instead of the front. But yeah, I can see why people with pets would be really bothered by random assholes lighting of M-80s and cherry bombs in their neighborhoods.

Fireworks shows are awesome, though.
Yeah, and that's different. Go to a park show, cook out, watch a light show. Go for it, they got professionals doing that stuff. Own a big property, with empty space and no one else's vehicles near by? Sure, set off a few for your family if you want.

Live on a small street, where every house is maybe 20 feet away from each other, everyone has a car parked either on or near the street....do not fucking set off fireworks on a public street that you have no right to use in that fashion.

Yep, I’ve seen it myself too. An elementary school friend of mine lost a few fingers and has a big scar on her lip. Her older brother lost an eye in the same incident.
They used to be banned here and now you can find them in places like grocery stores. Kind of an odd thing to be allowed to be sold so easily

nush

Know a guy whose son blew 2 fingers off with fireworks a few years ago. Those things are no joke

I once brought one of the big box multi rocket launcher ones. The holds around 12 rockets you light it once and it automatically fires each rocket in sequence.

So I took it with my girlfriend out to a basketball court to set them off but I tried to impress the girlfriend and not have the rockets just go straight up. I wanted them to go over this pond at a 45degree angle so they would reflect off the water. So I put a small brick under the bottom of the box to tilt it and lit the fuse.

The first rocket fired fine as did the second, but that when physics came into play. The lightened box and the force of the firing rockets tipped the box over. Now the were firing at ground level directly at us! We quickly tried to hide behind this tint tree that provided no protection really. The rockets were flying everywhere. One hit the pole of the basketball hoop and it clanged really loudly, this was a solid pole so that gave some idea of how hard these rockets were hitting. They were also flying into the side of someones house.

Fortunately they did all miss us. But it would not have been good if we'd been struck at all. Girlfriend. Unimpressed.

Methos#1975

Fireworks are only allowed tonight and tomorrow where I live and I think that is fine, people that are bothered by them or have pets that are can go somewhere for those two nights. You know they are allowed during that limited select time so the impetus is on you to make the proper accommodations and preparations. No one should have to tiptoe around you when they are only allowed to celebrate in such a fashion two measly nights.

I once brought one of the big box multi rocket launcher ones. The holds around 12 rockets you light it once and it automatically fires each rocket in sequence.

So I took it with my girlfriend out to a basketball court to set them off but I tried to impress the girlfriend and not have the rockets just go straight up. I wanted them to go over this pond at a 45degree angle so they would reflect off the water. So I put a small brick under the bottom of the box to tilt it and lit the fuse.

The first rocket fired fine as did the second, but that when physics came into play. The lightened box and the force of the firing rockets tipped the box over. Now the were firing at ground level directly at us! We quickly tried to hide behind this tint tree that provided no protection really. The rockets were flying everywhere. One hit the pole of the basketball hoop and it clanged really loudly, this was a solid pole so that gave some idea of how hard these rockets were hitting. They were also flying into the side of someones house.

Fortunately they did all miss us. But it would not have been good if we'd been struck at all. Girlfriend. Unimpressed.
Nice haha. I had a similar one:

Our town has a small mall and years ago on the 4th, me and a friend of mine rode around the parking lot shooting bottle rockets off the window rails of his old truck, mad max style lol. Anyway, we lit one and saw mall security coming, so my friend throws it on the ground and it bounces up, and flies across the road into this restaurant that had a permanent gas flame display of some kind in the front. Not sure how the whole thing didn't blow up lol. Then the cops came and confiscated all our stuff :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Fireworks during 4th of July.... fine.

Fireworks any other night(as has been every night for the last month in some cities) = trailer trash.

I hate them now, you dont get two nights when you been shooting them all months. I have three cats. And one disappears for hours everytime she hears the super loud dynamite people are working with these days.

Banned
Thanks ^_^ we named her Kyary after my favorite pop queen, hehe.

Yeah, moron 008 008 forgets that yeah, it's legal to do it on your own property. Not on a public street that these people are doing.

oh boy, I’ll be launching on the “public street” in front of my house. Quit being a pussy

The stuff we had was quiet and tame compared to now. I will always feel guilty for accidentally shooting this local drug dealer in the leg with a bottle rocket. Yes I was once a stupid kid. Not too long after he was shot like 6-7 times in the head by a gun :(

Banned
It's annoying bullshit to entertain brainlets. Duhhhhh pretty colors and loud noise haaha. Go see an actual fireworks show instead of blowing off your cheap shit in your tiny ass backyard.

wtf is this nonsense? Just so you know, local fireworks shows have been canceled. Guess what? Shit goes boom on July 4th by locals more than ever before! Enjoy!

Unimpressed by the fireworks or your own stupidity?

Just for the record, fireworks >>>>> dogs.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
The people who buy 1,500 assorted fireworks for 100 dollars need to dig a mass grave, kneel in front of it, and end their own lives.

Andyliini

I love fireworks, and often buy them for New Year. Some asshats are looking to completely ban them, I hope it won't come to pass.

We have a cat, last New Year, he didn't care at all.

GAMETA

Banned
I understand your side man, and I pity the doggos too (mine doesn't get too bothered), but it's not everyone else's fault that you have a dog, you know?

Hinedorf

Banned
Fireworks half a shelf life similar to adult age. As kids they're the fucking shit, as teenagers now we're playing with them and it's the fucking shit, as 20 year olds it becomes woo fireworks lets get hammered, then 30's oh good fireworks we can drive home with no traffic, and then 40's "I hate everything".

Fireworks.

xrnzaaas

Personally I always found buying fireworks one of the worst ways to spend money. They're also not really not entertaining to look at outside of professional displays that costed tens of thousands of dollars.

Dark Star

I don't mind spending <100 bucks on fireworks every year (like maybe 50 bucks for the 4th, 50 bucks for New Years). Fun for the whole family/group of friends. For sure a "waste of money", but so is alcohol, cigs, soda, and anything else consumable many people don't even think twice about in their weekly budgeting (or lack thereof). Since the 4th is on a Saturday, I kind of splurged a bit more than usual. I'm not obnoxious with M-150's or whatever noisemakers I got. I always have a small collection left over from the holidays, and I only use them for special occasions (sparklers for birthdays, etc). I personally don't mind my neighbors having drunk/dumb fun with fireworks days/weeks after the holidays. I love hearing (and seeing them) any day, any time. Maybe I'm just a (cheap) pyromaniac or something. Either way, you either love it or hate it.

Last edited:

Relativ9

I mean they're wasteful and slightly juvinile, but the same can be said for at least half of modern culture so I'm fine with it. Got a dog a few months ago so I'm sure she won't like them very much (we only do it for new-years here) but for one or two nights in a year it's fine.

As a race we have a close connection with fire and celebration, and fireworks are just the natural conclusion of that obsession. It's the same reason we like wide hips, big breasts and rosey full lips in women...we're programmed to over hundreds of thousands of years of evolution.

Last edited:
Top Bottom