• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon |OT| A Whole New Playground

Some stuff I would like to see in horizon 2, mostly related to the spectators:

Like in rally, have the odd person or two standing in the road with a camera only to run out of the way as you approach to jump over a barrier (so you can never hit them) it would add to the atmosphere of supercars driving around and feeling special.

Bring back spectator reactions when you crash into a barrier next to them, PGR3 did this at launch and ever since most games never feature such a thing, in PGR the spectators would move back in shock then return to their original position.

Make the spectators actually look in your direction, not just staring at one point in the distance for eternity.

More camera flashes from the spectator stands, especially if your car is in a slide to make you feel more awesome.

--

I would expect that this stuff is not there due to limits this gen, but next gen I hope to see more of that kind of stuff from the crowds.

OrangeOak

To beat a Ferrari, all you need is a Lambo. :)

s2oVeZN.jpg

I love this shot ! Great job.

Klocker

agreed... no EXCUSE to not have made fast travel part of the free update but I also was swindled into buying it

oh wanted to expand on this, the Fast travel is AWESOME and sure it's worth the price of a foot long subway sandwich but man after the $$ I've invested?

Two new retail games, once disc, one digital, VIP pack and Season pass and bought one or two monthly packs before I bought season pass :lol .... ...damn come on man

Shaneus

Finally, a picture I'm happy with that I didn't have to spend ages mucking around on:
forzabigshot32hhubl.png

(resized from bigshot)

Edit: Okay, weird... just did a sharpen in Paint.net over that resized image, and it looks a million times better:
forzabigshot32_sharpeycui1.png

How come I can't get it to look like that directly from photo mode? :(

BTW The OP mentioned something about VIPs getting a number of cars as a result of that status, but how many have we seen since the game came out? I'm pretty sure it's only two or maybe three... nowhere near as many as FM4, for sure.

Shaneus

You having any problems accessing your storefront, G? Every time I try and get to it, I get "Failed to retrieve storefront data". Can view everything fine via a web browser, but I guess being able to actually manage them from there would be too much :/

Shaneus

Yay! I was actually getting a weird problem as well... look at the windows:
iC0QyQCl.jpg

I've deleted the game off the HDD but haven't checked if that fixed it or not. I'm positive it wasn't like that before, because I remember on a farmhouse (near a row of these bunker things alongside a river, near a bridge) there was a truck that I don't remember looking weird last time I played, but now it has similar (white instead of brown) textures.

Anyway... god damn, I love this car.
Mnr5NAB.jpg

Alright, thinking of picking this up because I loved the demo. How big is the map size in comparison to somethIng like, say Burnout Paradise? And also, if I were to get a wheel for this and maybe Forza 4, is the $80-100 Madcatz one fine? I'm not expecting a full simulation, but do the pedals and wheel work well enough? Thanks in advance.

Mascot

Alright, thinking of picking this up because I loved the demo. How big is the map size in comparison to somethIng like, say Burnout Paradise? And also, if I were to get a wheel for this and maybe Forza 4, is the $80-100 Madcatz one fine? I'm not expecting a full simulation, but do the pedals and wheel work well enough? Thanks in advance.

Do people generally play FH with a wheel, given the choice? I've always used a pad for this game, and (shock! horror!) third-person view (like I do for most arcade racers).

Play it with the wheel mate, controller on this game is like a cheat mode, it's so much easier.

The force feedback and effects better FM in many respects and the steering is snappier too.

Do people generally play FH with a wheel, given the choice? I've always used a pad for this game, and (shock! horror!) third-person view (like I do for most arcade racers).
I played all racing games in 3rd person, even sims until about a year ago when my friend got a wheel and Forza 4, playing that in cockpit view with a wheel was certainly an experience. Now I play every racing game in first person, sim or not.

DD

I feel the car better with 1st person view (and even better with the bonnet cam), so in more sim games I usually use the first person view while racing, and sometimes I swich for the 3rd person view when I'm just free roaming for fun.

I should take more, most of the time I mess with the camera for 5 minutes then realize I am not happy with any angle and continue playing normally.

Shaneus

Thats... beautiful, Shaneus! =o
Thank you! It took me forever to get it right and I'm still not 100% happy with it (getting contrast/brightness to match up with exposure whilst not having too much glow/colour bleeding is damn hard) but it's satisfying when you can pull it off.

Pictures are never as sharp as I hope, though. No matter how many times I push X, there always seems to be a really bad AA filter that makes everything look smudgy and not in focus.

Play it with the wheel mate, controller on this game is like a cheat mode, it's so much easier.
I'd hope so, as there's far less feedback and information when playing with a controller.

I'd go for a wheel myself but I don't have the room, so I can only hope that the vibration and audio and cockpit effects are handled better next time round, for us controller users.

Mascot

I have a wheel, but I need to fix it (and find something to affix it to! Any ideas for a good couch-type solution?) because of some crappy bearing problem which no-one seems to care about because the wheels themselves are out of production. I think one guy made a replacement once and sold them on eBay, but like I mentioned, just no demand anymore :/

Stability is everything. Don't even think of using the lap rest.

Shitty photos, but this was my old homebrew solution for the MS wheel before I got a Playseat/Fanatec rig. Knocked it up one afternoon from some old kitchen counter-top support legs and melamine-faced chipboard. It stored flat(ish) and only took a couple of minutes to erect (the legs unscrew by simply rotating them). It worked an absolute treat, was very stable and had simple adjustable height and pedal positioning. I removed the bottom part of the wheel housing and screwed the wheel case directly to the table top (from underneath, using existing screw ports) to make it absolutely rock-solid.

You should also check out the forums on The Way I Play for some incredible DIY jobs and mods. You could lose yourself for days on that site:

http://www.thewayiplay.com/mainforum/index.php?action=forum

Shaneus

Cheers for that Mr. Mascot! I have a table I kind of bought for the my Logitech GT wheel and should fit the MS one, but I just wasn't sure if I could get away with something less. Thanks for the link to that site as well... I think you may have created a monster :(

Another one, this time a complete fluke of a nice shot. Taken me a while to learn that you can't always take a good shot in any location, but sometimes good spots just land in your lap.
JBYoHI6.jpg

Random one:
Jd4zgqs.jpg

klCfddr.jpg

Klocker

Just as I hope for F5, I hope Horizon 2 improves record keeping

ie every speed trap, zone should have a time for each car and or class.

Shaneus

Just as I hope for F5, I hope Horizon 2 improves record keeping

ie every speed trap, zone should have a time for each car and or class.
Yep. While cruising around, there's nothing more demoralising to see every single speed trap topped with a Radical SR8. No shit, Sherlock.

Well I have hit an annoying glitch! I cannot start a race with anyone at all. I get behind them and match their speed and yet the prompt to race them never comes up. It is making the 1000 club pretty hard when quite a few cars have that as a medal requirement.

Anyone else having this glitch?

Klocker

Well I have hit an annoying glitch! I cannot start a race with anyone at all. I get behind them and match their speed and yet the prompt to race them never comes up. It is making the 1000 club pretty hard when quite a few cars have that as a medal requirement.

Anyone else having this glitch?

I got that after the 1000 update but I think I only noticed it with the speed wheel which uses the D pad up for both 1000 and engaging a race. Switched back to controller and it went away. will try again later with the speed wheel but I think it was only temporary. try switching to a different mode (like Rally or MP) and try again

I just bought something...so I was finally able to make this pic:

ofOUwUY.jpg

FM1, FM2 Collector's Edition, FM3 CE, FM4 CE, Forza Horizon Promotional Press Copy and Horizon CE.

I'm proud, yeah.

Join the club! it's a shame forza 1 had no real CE, there was a slip cover version in france or something but not a real collectors edition.

My forza 2 sleeve is a bit scratched up from being in my bag when moving to and from uni years ago, very prone to scratches as it's just ink printed on plastic :(

I finally just beat flint in horizon too, yeah bitch. Kind of an anti climatic ending though and I kind of wish that the game had a little more story about the dude you play as, all cut scenes were just you showing off a new wrist band. Though the one thing I do like is how the credits make you feel like everyone packed up and went home for another year, no fireworks, you driving into the distance on the highway as the sun sets, Colorado is now peaceful again :p

Also two more photos in the same style as the diablo sv on the previous page:

yP2syOA.jpg

FUbl0mL.jpg

They look great!

Would they come out the same if you upload them or is it down to your capture card? Like the other shot there's a real depth to them I haven't seen in others photos.

They almost look like offscreen shots.

dear lord how long are these credits, been 25 minutes now and it's still scrolling names.

The images would look the same outside of some jpg compression, next time I make some i'll try a bigshot. It's so much easier and faster for me to use a capture card then piss about with FM.net

after about 45 minutes i've realized that the credits loop, lol.

Klocker

just wanted to point out that after reading that filling the pop meter did not pay out after the first two times, I have since filled it up twice more (total of 4) and I received 500,000 cr all 4 times.

the last two times were after adding 1000 club so maybe that's a change?

I have a wheel, but I need to fix it (and find something to affix it to! Any ideas for a good couch-type solution?) because of some crappy bearing problem which no-one seems to care about because the wheels themselves are out of production. I think one guy made a replacement once and sold them on eBay, but like I mentioned, just no demand anymore :/

I use the Wheelstand Pro which is rock solid but it's not cheap unfortunately. Not sure if that would be wide enough or if you could modify the holding plate.

http://www.wheelstandpro.com/

Really quick to set up and also put away, although I still should use it more.

Mascot

The more I play FH, the more impressed I continue to be - there's just so much to admire and very little to pick fault with. I've just got an F40 and it's absolutely sublime. I know I gave it a hard time pre-release for shitting all over Forza's good name in a dudebro stylee (and I'm still not entirely comfortable with the association, to be honest) but Playground really have made one damn excellent game here.

If FH ran at 60fps (like Horizon 2 will on the Knockerbox 3000, right? RIGHT?) then it would be just about the perfect arcade racer. It's like Son of Outrun.

Shaneus

I use the Wheelstand Pro which is rock solid but it's not cheap unfortunately. Not sure if that would be wide enough or if you could modify the holding plate.

http://www.wheelstandpro.com/

Really quick to set up and also put away, although I still should use it more.
Ah yes, I already have one of those... for my G27. Shame there's no way to dual-mod a wheel to support multiple platforms a la dual-modded joysticks :/

Mascot

Jeepers, Darius is a bit of a handful on Insane, isn't he?

Also, re the posts on the previous page: is fast travel really necessary for making the 1000 Club more accessible? Can't you just access any car instantly from the 1000 Club menu?

Klocker

Jeepers, Darius is a bit of a handful on Insane, isn't he?

Also, re the posts on the previous page: is fast travel really necessary for making the 1000 Club more accessible? Can't you just access any car instantly from the 1000 Club menu?
I don't think it matters for 1000 really if you are fine with the rest of system. I like it so I can quickly change locales to try different roads for different cars rather than start at festival every time.

Also I just like having control over the game Te way I want it. I love the open world but I dont always want to drive to each race or each section of Colorado

And this is why I hate online achievements, no one is playing cat and mouse so I made a room, no one is wanting to play it, only race and infection.

I don't mind leveling up to 25 and I don't mind playing a set number of events, but to play a game mode no one wanted is annoying.

mojiimbo

Isn't there a popular "fun" playlist that randomly cycles through cat and mouse/king of the hill/infected? I still need the challenge achievement but the other base online achievements seemed pretty easy and reasonable to me.

xam3l

I've started playing this a week ago, just in time to get hyped with FM5.

So far I'm loving it. The only thing that annoy me is the replay rendering feature. In previous games we could render a clip and save it without uploading it, and then extract those clips via USB. This time it requires Live to get that function and it does not save the clips. Also the lack of replays in multiplayer and those default camera angles...

I just hope that FM5 and Horizon 2 can go back to previous games in that department.

The photomode isn't so addictive as previous games. But its beautiful.

derFeef

I have two streets left to discover and I can't find them. I guess I will hit them by accident if I play long enough but at least on the map there is everythig filled in. I suspect they are hidden under an icon or something, argh.

xam3l

I have two streets left to discover and I can't find them. I guess I will hit them by accident if I play long enough but at least on the map there is everythig filled in. I suspect they are hidden under an icon or something, argh.

You can deactivate the icons to see if there is something missing.

Top Bottom