• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon 5: Hot Wheels Expansion is out - MS, start a new IP!

Fredrik

Aaaagh! The pain…
…from all the smiling! 😁

Just tried the Hot Wheels expansion. This is like GOTY level amazing! Playground Games are GODS among Microsoft’s 1st party devs, can’t believe how great this is. That opening race is one of the coolest racing game races I’ve ever done, the speed, the variety, the visuals, the everything! 🤩

Feels like a punch in the face to drive the slow starter Hot Wheels car afterwards though.

Can’t believe MS aren’t pushing this more. I know it’s DLC but it’s so so good, it deserves some serious spotlight. I’m just blown away by how cool it all is.

Can’t they make a separate Hot Wheels IP?

Seriously MS, do it!

I thought the Hot Wheels expansion in FH3 was great too but this is even better, seems meatier too going by the map. And supposedly you can create your own tracks too from 80 parts!

10/10

tqvpXQH.png

euF9Aml.jpg

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
I've set the gaf club to open now. If you want to join just look up Forza Gaf and you will be auto accepted.

We have some good racers that can help to improve your fame with thier ghosts.

How much does this cost if I just want to buy the hot wheels 3xpansion? All I've seen on the store is an ultimate dlc pass for $50 which ison sale for $40

I'd buy this for $15 but want to have to spend $40

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
First race is just amazing, playing in performance mode and it looks incredible, how they keep raising the bar for racing games over and over again is quite an achievement.

Is it thou? All you do is hold the right trigger and steer left to right. I wouldn't call it a race. It's a nice showcase but I got bored and was relieved when I saw the end waypoint was only 2.4 km away.

Riky

$MSFT
Is it thou? All you do is hold the right trigger and steer left to right. I wouldn't call it a race. It's a nice showcase but I got bored and was relieved when I saw the end waypoint was only 2.4 km away.
I said "it looks incredible", it's a great introduction to the world

How much does this cost if I just want to buy the hot wheels 3xpansion? All I've seen on the store is an ultimate dlc pass for $50 which ison sale for $40

I'd buy this for $15 but want to have to spend $40

I'm in Europe but there are 3 choices (prices for Gamepass subscribers)

- Hot Wheels expansion: 18 €
- Hot Wheels expansion + Future expansion: 31.5 €
- 2 Expansions + Car Pass + VIP Pass + Welcome Pack : 40 €

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
The UI continues to be broken. All my awards from Car Collection were reset and I could claim the again, one by one. I got all the cars (again), money (again), XP (again) and wheelspins (again). Good job, Playground. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Fredrik

Then they'd have to give it away 'free' with Gamepass (which I presume is not the case with this DLC?)
It’s what they do with all their games. Feels wrong to hide this awesomeness in regular FH5. It’s so unique. Don’t playvlike FH5. It’s open world but still not open world, if that makes any sense. Done the starter race 3 times now. So awesome!

At what point does it unlock though? My son wanted to play it on his own account, I did the starter for him but Hot Wheels still wasn’t unlocked, eventually just let him play on my account instead.
They should have Hot Wheels as a choice at the start.

Has anyone tried to build any tracks yet? Haven’t done it yet but that’ll be the 11/10 trigger for me if they get it right. Used to build tracks on some C64 and Amiga games, I love that stuff.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
I'm in Europe but there are 3 choices (prices for Gamepass subscribers)

- Hot Wheels expansion: 18 €
- Hot Wheels expansion + Future expansion: 31.5 €
- 2 Expansions + Car Pass + VIP Pass + Welcome Pack : 40 €
Presumably if you stop subscribing to Game Pass you don't still have access to the game if you've bought the DLC?

I vaguely remember when one of the old Forza games got delisted, anyone that owned the DLC but not the game (because they accessed the game via Game Pass) was given the game for free (so they could still access the DLC). So for any Forza game, always buy a cheap piece of DLC just to safeguard yourself in future.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I got it downloaded, but need to clear some games before jumping back into this. I love fantasy / arcade racing though so the more they go this route, the better for me.

My Problem is the shitty physic engine. Cars flying over the streets. And the behavior of the cars is so much arcade that it is a shame for the whole Forza franchise.
They made a mistake calling it Forza. They should name it something like Horizon Arcade Racing-Insert a coin and fly through the sky like your car has wings.

I never understand why they invest so much manpower in designing these beautiful realistic cars and smash them into this crap of arcade Sandbox.

Riky

$MSFT
My Problem is the shitty physic engine. Cars flying over the streets. And the behavior of the cars is so much arcade that it is a shame for the whole Forza franchise.
They made a mistake calling it Forza. They should name it something like Horizon Arcade Racing-Insert a coin and fly through the sky like your car has wings.

I never understand why they invest so much manpower in designing these beautiful realistic cars and smash them into this crap of arcade Sandbox.

It's an arcade racer, play Motorsport if you want realism, I don't think Hot Wheels really fits with realism anyway.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!

Isn't the whole point of this expansion to be less sim and more fantastical?

anthony2690

Banned
Checked metacritic, looks very average at best.
Hey Riky, the Hot Wheels standalone game is genuinely great.
Whilst I'm enjoying the forza expansion more overall so far.
I was really impressed by the hot wheels game and had very low expectations due to game mill.
It's definitely worth grabbing whilst it's only £15.99 on sale currently. :)
I got it for Christmas from a friend last year and couldn't put the game down, the only thing that puts me off is the battle passes. (Especially as they don't fund expansions/new maps like other games with BP's do, so expansions are still standalone purchases, so purchased neither)

Hi all, I don't want to start a new thread, just wondered if one of you could confirm for me. Is Forza Horizon 2 available on the store ?(I bought it years ago and the Storm Island addon) but they aren't showing up in the store. I'm using Series X BTW.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Hi all, I don't want to start a new thread, just wondered if one of you could confirm for me. Is Forza Horizon 2 available on the store ?(I bought it years ago and the Storm Island addon) but they aren't showing up in the store. I'm using Series X BTW.

It should be available if you purchased it in the past. It works for me.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Any work either T10 or Playground do on the engine benefits both the studios for their next game.

-

On topic.

The expansion looks fantastic. Gonna pick it up soon after current backlog is done.

Riky

$MSFT

Search your Full Library in My Games and Apps.

Fredrik

Calm your tits. Op wants a standalone Hot Wheels game. I mentioned there was one already in my previous comment you missed because you got triggered by this so quickly.
That’s a whole other game, I want Microsoft to start a new IP with what we have here, Forza Hot Wheels or something like that. It’s too meaty and awesome to be just DLC, feels like a whole other game, new game mechanics and has unique cars and all.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
That’s a whole other game, I want Microsoft to start a new IP with what we have here, Forza Hot Wheels or something like that. It’s too meaty and awesome to be just DLC, feels like a whole other game, new game mechanics and has unique cars and all.
Horizon is just barely on the border of being arcade enough for me to like it a lot. I'd be 100% down for them doing an even more arcade focused series.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Re downloaded last night.

I think I saw someone say you can turn the voiceovers off when FH5 released - is that right? Can’t believe this is a British dev as the VO, script and voice acting is about as un-British as I can imagine.

Fredrik

I tried making a track with the track building editor. A bit clunky and difficult to get things just like I want it but this is still insanely fun. Built a track with my son, ended up as a whole serie of loops with booster panels in between, then a gigantic jump sending cars far away and then a wall of bouncing pads at the end 😁

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially

I think I saw someone say you can turn the voiceovers off when FH5 released - is that right? Can’t believe this is a British dev as the VO, script and voice acting is about as un-British as I can imagine.

Go to audio and set the voice to 0. Keep it that way. It's the only way to play as far as I'm concerned. Voice over in this game gives me headaches. Oh, and you can also turn of DJs for radio stations. Highly recommend doing that as well.

Hey amigo! Have you heard about Papa Fernando, Superstar? Come meet his familia, they are loco!

Someone got paid to write this shit. I cringe every time. Can't imagine how Spanish speaking people feel hearing that drivel.

Top Bottom