• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Former SIE WWS boss Shawn Layden says AAA development is "unsustainable"

Pallas

Gold Member
I'm old enough to remember paying over $70 for some N64 games, cartridge based games had variable pricing a lot of the time instead of this one size fits all approach that started once games went to disc.
Yes, I remember that as well, but that also had a lot to do with how much it was to make cartridge games, there was a reason why PS1 games were cheaper then N64 games. But I remember(maybe I’m wrong though?) that $49.99 was the typical price for brand new, regular edition games, during the PS2, Xbox, GC, Dreamcast era but that priced Increased by next gen.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
One of my best games last year was Devil May Cry 5. Not that big and I think that not a single person wanted this game to be the new AAA shit

That's my problem with God of War 2018. There was not a single thing wrong with the style of past games, but they changed because this new model could attract better for the actual generation, and that's just bullshit

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
They made more profit this generation than any other.... so the model is working for Sony. Maybe 3rd parties are becoming unsustainable but 1st party are worth it and have made PlayStation a financial juggernaut compared to other gaming companies.
Yeah I think what Layden is saying is “the race to make the biggest longest highest production value games isn’t sustainable”, rather than just AAA games in general, as referenced by his comment about shorter games. And I %100 agree, a variety of experiences is needed for the model to be sustainable, and I can’t imagine most people aren’t a little bit sick of these obnoxious open world games that take 150 hours to complete.

I’ll gladly take a 6-hour game that entertains me and is a succinct experience over 100-hour, grindy Ubisoft trash.

Top Bottom