• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

For those that have gone PC to Console or vice versa...

My current plan is...

• Staying on PC

Votes: 55 26.3%
  • Switching to PC

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • Staying on Console

Votes: 43 20.6%
  • Switching to Console

Votes: 8 3.8%
  • PC + Next Gen Console

Votes: 84 40.2%
  • Undecided

Votes: 12 5.7%

• Total voters

GamerEDM

Banned
PC gaming is an expensive hobby that is ultimately not worth it. I made a costly mistake in 2014 buying into the PC gaming hype. It sucked. Had to sell everything and then rebuy a ps4

Mister Wolf

When you come to the realization that the FOV on consoles was low to save GPU cost and take the PC version of the same games and bump the FOV all the way to 120.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
PC gaming is an expensive hobby that is ultimately not worth it. I made a costly mistake in 2014 buying into the PC gaming hype. It sucked. Had to sell everything and then rebuy a ps4
You never ever buy anything based on other people hyping. As much as other people praise the crap out of PC gaming, I know my own taste and I know PC just doesn't offer anything for someone like me.

Last edited:

Kazza

Not sure what Sony's plan is regarding PC releases, i don't think they care honestly, especially how much of a disaster Horizon was, they charged 3 times the cost of the game on PSN store for PS4 and it was a b.s port.

What is like Persona on PC?

Horizon sales were terrible... doubt there will be any more exclusives going to PC. Waste of resources

I think there is a lot of exaggeration going on re the Horizon PC port. These are the Stramspy figures:

1kbLr6d.png

Come on, up to 500k sales and 30k concurrent players is far from a disaster. Remember that this is a 3/4 year old game that was sold at a full $60. What do Sony think this is, the Switch? You just can't get away with that shit on the PC. Despite the quality of the port itself being below the high standards PC gamers have come to expect, it's still currently the best version of the game out there by a wide margin (much superior to the PS4/Pro versions)

Even the lower 200k sold figure would have netted Sony a cool $12 million (minus the Steam tax), with 500k equalling $30 million in sales. As I said, far from a disaster. I expect the game to shift a lot more too once the first 50% steam sale comes along.

Horizon sales were terrible... doubt there will be any more exclusives going to PC. Waste of resources

Don't do this to yourself, man. It will just make the inevitable GoW/TLOU2 ports even more painful for you once they are officially announced.

Bryank75

Banned
I think there is a lot of exaggeration going on re the Horizon PC port. These are the Stramspy figures:

1kbLr6d.png

Come on, up to 500k sales and 30k concurrent players is far from a disaster. Remember that this is a 3/4 year old game that was sold at a full $60. What do Sony think this is, the Switch? You just can't get away with that shit on the PC. Despite the quality of the port itself being below the high standards PC gamers have come to expect, it's still currently the best version of the game out there by a wide margin (much superior to the PS4/Pro versions)

Even the lower 200k sold figure would have netted Sony a cool $12 million (minus the Steam tax), with 500k equalling $30 million in sales. As I said, far from a disaster. I expect the game to shift a lot more too once the first 50% steam sale comes along.

Don't do this to yourself, man. It will just make the inevitable GoW/TLOU2 ports even more painful for you once they are officially announced.
I dunno what the projections were for PC, so I can't really make a good estimation on what they will do... I guess we have to wait and see.

TLOU and GOW are never going to another platform (That would be like Nintendo saying Zelda is going to PC).... Bloodborne would be a better guess or Days Gone or something like that...

Last edited:
I have a gaming PC and PS4 pro.

At work I need to configure and optimize multiple systems and custom toolchains, any performance gain needs to be taken advantage of...

At home I just want to game, that is why I prefer my console most of the time.

On PC I feel always that I'm not running with optimal setting and use a lot of time tweaking settings...

In plans of getting PS5 and updating my PC... Justifying the spend on expensive GPU gets harder and harder, while I play more and more on console.

Kazza

TLOU and GOW are never going to another platform

I don't think that statement is going to age well! Horizon is already a big PS exclusive, on par with the likes of GoW/TLOU. If they had only released Death Stranding and Detroit, then sure, maybe, but since Horizon is already out on PC...

Bryank75

Banned
I don't think that statement is going to age well! Horizon is already a big PS exclusive, on par with the likes of GoW/TLOU. If they had only released Death Stranding and Detroit, then sure, maybe, but since Horizon is already out on PC...
Death Stranding is not a Sony owned studio, neither is Quantic Dream... in fact Sony are no longer doing exclusives with QD.

So, I believe you're conflating things.... HZD was a once off at the end of a generation to see if it could increase interest among PC users in PS5, which is about to launch....

Unfortunately... and as I predicted, PC users such as yourself misconstrue it as a weakening of their position on exclusives and their important role in the PS ecosystem.

PlayStation want to sell consoles.... not PC's. Don't get confused.

Last edited:
I switched to PC because its the only way to dodge censorship and bad localisation.

Do not like the PC community much , don't care about technology. Just play Japanese games and yes you CAN turn your PC or laptop into a console. The steamweeb community is growing:messenger_sunglasses:

Graciaus

You never ever buy anything based on other people hyping. As much as other people praise the crap out of PC gaming, I know my own taste and I know PC just doesn't offer anything for someone like me.
I love jrpgs and I am happy. If anything it's better since I also am big into visual novels which are huge on pc.

There aren't that many 3rd party games you can't get on pc. The only huge blow were Atlus games and that will be changing. Xbox games are on pc. Nintendo games can be Emulated. Sony is testing the market. It's a good time to be a pc gamer.

Danjin44

I love jrpgs and I am happy. If anything it's better since I also am big into visual novels which are huge on pc.
Well this September a game coming out that’s called 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim...
3-13-Sentinels-aegis-Rim-PS4.jpg

which is both visual novel and real time strategy that I’m super hyped for but not coming out on PC.

Sakura Wars on PS4 I also really enjoyed is never got released on PC and upcoming Nocturne HD and SMTV also not coming out on PC.

There are just lot of games I care about is either never makes it to PC or comes really late, just like Xbox it becomes coin toss if the gonna release there or not. I rather just have PlayStation and Nintendo system and never have to worry about missing out on my favourite games.

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
was console only until 2015 when i built my PC.

i'm done with PC gaming for various reasons so i won't be upgrading it or buying games for it anymore. i'm getting an Xbox Series X to be my main gaming platform. might pick up a PS5 whenever there are exclusives that interest me.

i've just had a lot of issues on PC and I'm real sick of spending money on upgrading and then having to deal with shit not working. I'm just gonna buy myself a new TV/Xbox and that'll be me.

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned
Very interesting hearing all these different stories and the discussion from "both sides" has been very reasonable and informed as well. Taking everything together you get a pretty clear idea of the pros and cons for each format and then just apply it you your circumstances/preferences.

Lots to think about for those of us undecided. 😊

Last edited:

martino

Pc for sure and ps5 sooner or later (for now both next gen console don't feel real)

Last edited:

Exentryk

It's worth noting that you can use PCs just like consoles. So connect pc to your tv and use your wireless controller from any console. This way you sorta get the best of both worlds.

T-Cake

One big advantage the PC has is the amount of games you can get for peanuts or even free with the giveaways. Not just kind souls on here but pubs like Ubisoft who have given away Assassin's Creed II, III, IV, Unity, Syndicate, Rayman, Child of Eden, Watch Dogs, Watch Dogs 2, etc. All of which you would have to buy on Xbox/PS4.

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned
It's worth noting that you can use PCs just like consoles. So connect pc to your tv and use your wireless controller from any console. This way you sorta get the best of both worlds.

Is that on a per game basis or literally controlling the OS with a controller? (For example loading up a game from the start screen) 😊

Graciaus

Well this September a game coming out that’s called 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim...

which is both visual novel and real time strategy that I’m super hyped for but not coming out on PC.

Sakura Wars on PS4 I also really enjoyed is never got released on PC and upcoming Nocturne HD and SMTV also not coming out on PC.

There are just lot of games I care about is either never makes it to PC or comes really late, just like Xbox it becomes coin toss if the gonna release there or not. I rather just have PlayStation and Nintendo system and never have to worry about missing out on my favourite games.
I can understand not wanting to wait or miss out. But hope isn't completely lost on most of those games being played on pc. There will be more focus on pc after the success of p4g.
Is that on a per game basis or literally controlling the OS with a controller? (For example loading up a game from the start screen) 😊
You could go into big picture mode on steam either right from startup or anytime and control things from a controller. Personally I just keep a wireless mouse on the side of me since it's faster and I still use my pc for general use.

Last edited:

Exentryk

No, I don't mean controlling the whole OS (though that is also an option most likely with Steam Big Picture mode set to start with Windows, and using controller profiles to control the desktop).

I start up the game from PC, pick up the controller and then settle into the couch. The controller bluetooth app automatically starts up with wIndows, and pressing the PS button connects the controller to windows wirelessly. I also have controller macros set up so I can record gameplay at 4K 60fps with a single controller button. Another benefit is being able to use my desired bluetooth headphones (which I can't do on PS4). In case I need to address something on the PC while sitting on the couch, I have a wireless keyboard with a built-in trackpad. Seems to work really well.

Last edited:
Mostly PC because i like the ability to permanently persevere my library of games. Can't miss those console exclusives though so i have to at least pick up a PS5 and whatever new console Nintendo comes up with.

Danjin44

I can understand not wanting to wait or miss out. But hope isn't completely lost on most of those games being played on pc. There will be more focus on pc after the success of p4g.

You could go into big picture mode on steam either right from startup or anytime and control things from a controller. Personally I just keep a wireless mouse on the side of me since it's faster and I still use my pc for general use.
If I don’t care about power then console is better choice for me since I’m 100% sure I will get the games I want and never have to worry about missing out.

Tell me, how long will it take for PC to get 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim or other Vanillaware games on PC?

Trimesh

Banned
I own a pc, pro, xbox one x, and switch.

I find myself playing my pro for sony exclusives only, mp gaming on xbox one x(a large majority of my friends have xbox's), running multiplat single player campaigns on my pc at max settings and enjoying the switch for its exclusives/rpgs/.

Don't really miss anything and the wife and I have a good time.

The only "problem" or issue is when you play something on pc at length...then try to go play the console version of the game. We need new consoles cause that gap is too wide now.

Hey, are you me?

I'm surprised how many people have problems with their PCs.

Last year I bought a pretty powerful pre-build (2080Ti, i7 8700K) because of stories like these shared here. I didn't want to worry about shit not working etc. and it was my first PC since 2001 so it was an easy way to jump back in.

Earlier this month YouTube recommended me few PC building videos and after asking few questions on Gaf I decided to build my first proper rig. I reused GPU and CPU, replaced everything else and had a blast assembling it together.

Never had any problems. Not with hardware, not with software.

Hostile_18

Banned
Looking at the poll results the vast majority are happy with what system their currently on, very few people planning to change. It's good really. I do wonder if been tied to digital libraries that is making this happen though 🤔.

Looking at the poll results the vast majority are happy with what system their currently on, very few people planning to change. It's good really. I do wonder if been tied to digital libraries that is making this happen though 🤔.
Funny you mentioned that. Not wanting to being tied to a Sony / MS ecosystem was one of the reasons why I switched from consoles to PC.

Hostile_18

Banned
Funny you mentioned that. Not wanting to being tied to a Sony / MS ecosystem was one of the reasons why I switched from consoles to PC.

I had a thread last week that asked where PC gamers like to buy their games and about 90% here said on Steam. Isn't that just trading one ecosystem for another? 😉

It is good you can buy Steam Keys from a variety of places though. Sony and Nintendo (in the limited fashion they did this) stopped that.

Does that mean Persona though?
What do you think? I can just about imagine the conversation going on between two executives at Sega HQ.

A: "Whoa, sure looks like PC gamers love Persona. P4G sold a shit ton. Way more than expected."
B: "You're right. We should make PC ports a priority from now on. There's clearly lots of money to be made there."
A: "I agree. Let's put everything on PC. Oh, except for more Persona games. Especially not P5, our best-selling entry yet."
B: "Yes, that makes perfect sense."

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned
What do you think? I can just about imagine the conversation going on between two executives at Sega HQ.

A: "Whoa, sure looks like PC gamers love Persona. P4G sold a shit ton. Way more than expected."
B: "You're right. We should make PC ports a priority from now on. There's clearly lots of money to be made there."
A: "I agree. Let's put everything on PC. Oh, except for more Persona games. Especially not P5, our best-selling entry yet."
B: "Yes, that makes perfect sense."

It's all a bit strange to me. Why wouldn't they release Persona 4 on modern consoles as well? Why have they waited so long to put Persona 5 on PC or Switch? They are either not too financially savvy or theirs information were unaware of. 😊

R6Rider

Gold Member
I've always played games on PC and on consoles ever since I was a child. As time went on I played more and more on console compared to PC, but never stopped PC gaming.

My job is all done on a PC and I also edit videos on the side. These things make me not want to play on KB+M very much, so when I do play on PC it's usually with a controller. On top of this I have a good group of friends on PS4 that heightens enjoyment compared to PC. No way do I see myself switching to mostly PC unless most of my friends do.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
I currently own two PCs (one for me and one for the wife), Two PS4 Pros (one for me and one for the wife), an xbox one (paperweight) and a switch (for trips).

100% of our gaming is now on PC as we have transitioned away from console. Why? There are more games my wife is interested in on PC (survival games and, oddly enough for a former sorority girl, military fps games), I get my 60-144 fps gameplay, better game sales, and get to use a M&KB again (though I was no slouch with a controller).

In my collection I have every system since the NES though most of them are set up at the lake house where they rarely get turned on.

I will likely buy a PS5 when the PS5 pro comes out if there is a library of exclusive games I want to play. Unless Sony joins microsoft in releasing games on PC which would suit me just fine. Since I am a gamepass member I will never purchase another Xbox as I see no real point.

I no longer build my PCs as companies like cyberpowerpc will do that shit for me. I currently have an i7 with a 2080ti but I am planning on getting a new $2000-$3000 PC in the next year with an RTX 3080 and whatever CPU kicks the ever living shit out of next gen consoles. COVID willing of coarse.

I can understand why some don't like PC gaming. It isn't really an "out of the box" experience as it requires you to use your brain occasionally to solve problems that either your hardware, or windows, throws at you. Not everyone has the patience to do this, or friends that can help. I have been dealing with PCs since I was a child (I'm 36) and have taught myself how to solve a myriad of issues by mastering the incredibly difficult discipline known as googling. Had I not been so keen to learn the art of typing queries into search engines I might have given up PC gaming too!

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
For the past several years I've been playing between PC and PS4, but I have been slowly shifting more game time to the PS4 this year. Actually, a lot more. It's probably because, working from home, I am getting tired of sitting in my home office so much. When it's leisure time it feels good to walk across the house and flop down on the couch in the living room.

I had a thread last week that asked where PC gamers like to buy their games and about 90% here said on Steam. Isn't that just trading one ecosystem for another? 😉

It is good you can buy Steam Keys from a variety of places though. Sony and Nintendo (in the limited fashion they did this) stopped that.
I can only speak for myself but when it's possible I go DRM free plus like you mentioned, there are multiple sites where you can buy Steam keys. There's always choice. What's your choice on a console? None.

The other big thing for me is that when new Nvidia 3000 series releases I'll be building new "next-gen" PC from the ground up. I have 100% guarantee that every single game in my library will work flawlessly on that new system.

Last edited:

JordanN

Banned
I've always gamed on both, but as more games went multiplat, the reasons to own a console drastically fell.

I'm most certainly going PC forward unless consoles pick up some serious exclusives.

Top Bottom