• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

For those that have gone PC to Console or vice versa...

My current plan is...

• Staying on PC

Votes: 55 26.3%
  • Switching to PC

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • Staying on Console

Votes: 43 20.6%
  • Switching to Console

Votes: 8 3.8%
  • PC + Next Gen Console

Votes: 84 40.2%
  • Undecided

Votes: 12 5.7%

• Total voters

Bryank75

Banned
I think not even Sony knows what it wants to do long term relating to the PC. Their testing the waters now but it could go either way. I feel like Sony are more unpredictable than ever given the management change over and what Microsoft is currently doing.
The sales of Horizon were terrible and the bitching and moaning over the amount of sliders just goes to show how entitled the PC crowd are... it's a huge waste of resources IMO.

RAIDEN1

What I meant to say was that my desktop is more than 6 years old, and by the time games came out that I really wanted to check out such as Starcraft 2/Star Citizen Demo..it was obvious my PC couldn't handle it..so for me, call it being lazy or whatever I just use the PC for "old-skool" greats such as Full Throttle, Beneath a Steel Sky, Broken Sword, Star Wars RTS, and a Saturn emulator to run Policenauts....for my current gen gaming needs etc, then its the PS4/Xbox One etc...

Last edited:

Ogbert

Got a PC for productivity that can run most games at 4K@60fps+ ultra, but didn't find much difference between the PS4 Pro offering nor found anything worth my money to try besides Star Citizen when it's ready. So, I'll stay with PS5 (consoles).

You didn’t find any difference between your 60fps 4K PC and your PS Pro?

I have the same setup and the difference is about 2k and 32 FPS.

Made a switch to PC this generation. A friend of mine gave me his old PC that had a Ryzen 5 processor in. All I did was swapped out the HDD for an SSD, purchased a RX 5500XT (8GB) and upgraded to 16GB ram which is now an absolute power house. Can Run Division 2 on Ultra (shadows & fog high) at 1440p with 80 to 90fps and GTA V in 4k at 50-60fps on average. Bloody best thing I've done!

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned
Staying on pc. Best graphics, best performance, all the good games comes there

Well the only thing with that is by staying on PC is it's a self fulfilling prophecy. You can't play the PS5/Switch exclusives to see if the others are good or not.

Problem of not owning every console lol, but it's a bold statement to say all (or most) of the good games come to PC. Objectively Uncharted, God Of War, Last of Us, Spiderman, Persona 5, Final Fantasy 7 Remake, Mario Odyssey, Zelda BotW are "good" games 😊.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Well the only thing with that is by staying on PC is it's a self fulfilling prophecy. You can't play the PS5/Switch exclusives to see if the others are good or not.

Problem of not owning every console lol, but it's a bold statement to say all (or most) of the good games come to PC. Objectively Uncharted, God Of War, Last of Us, Spiderman, Persona 5, Final Fantasy 7 Remake, Mario Odyssey, Zelda BotW are "good" games 😊.

Not in my book, so my statement holds true for me.

Hostile_18

Banned
Not in my book, so my statement holds true for me.

What I mean is though that if your tried them chances are you would like some/most of them alot. It would be an amazing coincidence to have your personal opinion align so perfectly with your chosen platform and go against overall critical opinion so fortuitously.

Still if that is true you'd super lucky! 😁

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
What I mean is though that if your tried them chances are you would like some/most of them alot. It would be an amazing coincidence to have your personal opinion align so perfectly with your chosen platform and go against overall critical opinion so fortuitously.

Still if that is true you'd super lucky! 😁

I have a PS4, a switch and a Xbox one.

I prefer to play on a pc. It's a blessing I can play Xbox games on my pc.

I only bought TLOU to my PS4, and it's the only game I'm interested in on the platform.

I do enjoy switch exclusives, but there still ain't enough to justify me being a day one buyer.

On pc I can play my mmorpgs and online fps games. It has everything I need and I don't miss anything from other platforms.

RGB'D

I have a ps4 and PC, honestly my ps4 usually keeps collecting dust until a good exclusive release.

If it wasn't for exclusives i don't think there would be a reason to have a console.
1000%. Honestly this is why I struggle with people dumping on Microsoft releasing everything on gamepass. How much better would it be if SONY released their games day and date on PC without having to dump 500$ into a console to play 4-5 games over 7 years...

For me I will still primarily game on PC, some day grab a PS5 model. I'll likely grab a Series X or two near launch for the wife and the my living room as cloud saves are the real deal and the ability to carry over to multiple boxes and party up and game on crossplay with my friends is super satisfying. I have a beast of a PC rig and will likely upgrade to Ampere at some point from a 2080 super and build my wife a hand me down gaming PC.

Last edited:

Derktron

Banned
It depends on what I see happen, if I don’t like what I see for the PS5 I’ll go back to Xbox or if not I’ll go with PC.

Vaelka

I played both consoles and PC when I was a kid during the 360 and PS1 and PS2 days. Also had a couple of Gameboys.
Now I play solely on PC simply because I have the money for it and to keep up with it and because there's more games I am interested in on PC.
I also hate having 30 FPS shoved in my face and the lack of mods on consoles, even if a game has poor performance there's still a chance that people will fix it with mods or you can just lower the settings while on consoles you're just screwed.
Sometimes it's so poorly optimized that it doesn't matter tho.

Consoles lack good RPG's and RTS games too most of the time.
And there's just more good games on PC imo, sure there's more bad ones too but I honestly rarely come across them on Steam. PC definitely has way more to choose from tho and more unique games.
A lot of incredible games and franchises started out as smaller or indie but they can get filtered out on consoles.
Funnily enough I still play FPS games with a controller tho unless they're competititve but I mainly play Killing Floor and Vermintide, but mouse and keyboard are just objectively better.
I just find controllers more relaxing for FPS.

I was console + PC gamer but when PS4 pro released, I found myself more comfortable with consoles as my problem with console games were jaggies. With PS4pro jaggies became a thing of the past, everything looks clear and high res.

I never cared about 60 fps. I actually used to run my PC games to highest resolution and AA and didn't care if the game went sub 30 fps.

The last GPU I bought was GTX970. Still doing well. Still uses my PC for productivity, running my small business...

Hostile_18

Banned
You know I thought there would be loads more switching stories because of the massive strengths and like wise weaknesses of PC. Interesting but the early Poll results show most people are generally happy with what they have be it PC or Console, or indeed both.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
You didn’t find any difference between your 60fps 4K PC and your PS Pro?

I have the same setup and the difference is about 2k and 32 FPS.

There is a difference in fps, and resolution. In the games that are actually 30fps I nearly bought The Division 2 on PC but gave it a pass and got it on PS4 and had a blast with my friends there, although it's a very good upgrade it's still not worth it for me. If I will play any game on my PC it's either a killer SP xbox or PC exclusive, if the same game on PS4 Pro I would rather just play on it and skip the PC hassle. Graphically, the difference is extremely minor and "forgivable". The rest of the games are mostly exclusives, and most of my friends are on PS4, and that's critical.

It's a personal preference, nothing should affect any other's opinion or flavor in gaming. Still waiting for Star Citizen to mature, and hope more PC exclusive to take its courage approach, although it's extremely mediocre at the moment and laughed at seeing Euro-like forests on some planets. Zero creativity.

Last edited:

ZZZZ

What is like Persona on PC?

Horizon sales were terrible... doubt there will be any more exclusives going to PC. Waste of resources
Persona 4 Golden has already sold over 500k units, that's like half of what it sold on the vita and getting close to what Persona 4 sold on ps2.,

Persona 5 Royal is coming to PC, it's just a matter of time.
We'll probably see SMT down the line as well making their way to PC.

Not sure what Sony's plan is regarding PC releases, i don't think they care honestly, especially how much of a disaster Horizon was, they charged 3 times the cost of the game on PSN store for PS4 and it was a b.s port.

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned
Even if Horizon PC sales were soft, surely at this point it's just icing on the cake. The work will of been done two fold, one for the PC, one for the PS5 patch. How much would if of cost with little to no marketing etc. I'm sure the break even cost will have been really low and a good learning curve.

Ogbert

There is a difference in fps, and resolution. In the games that are actually 30fps I nearly bought The Division 2 on PC but gave it a pass and got it on PS4 and had a blast with my friends there, although it's a very good upgrade it's still not worth it for me. If I will play any game on my PC it's either a killer SP xbox or PC exclusive, if the same game on PS4 Pro I would rather just play on it and skip the PC hassle. Graphically, the difference is extremely minor and "forgivable". The rest of the games are mostly exclusives, and most of my friends are on PS4, and that's critical.

It's a personal preference, nothing should affect any other's opinion or flavor in gaming. Still waiting for Star Citizen to mature, and hope more PC exclusive to take its courage approach, although it's extremely mediocre at the moment and laughed at seeing Euro-like forests on some planets. Zero creativity.

Fair enough.

As I say, I have exactly the same setup and do the same - play with buddies on the PS and stick to the PC for everything else.

Cant play shooters on PS though. It’s too much of a downgrade.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
tenor.gif

Hostile_18

Banned
Fair enough.

As I say, I have exactly the same setup and do the same - play with buddies on the PS and stick to the PC for everything else.

Does that rely on using a keyboard and mouse at a desk? To me the upgrade would be offset from having to play like that as opposed to playing on my reclining sofa in the living room. Each to their own though 😊.

Blond

Banned
The sales of Horizon were terrible and the bitching and moaning over the amount of sliders just goes to show how entitled the PC crowd are... it's a huge waste of resources IMO.

Who knew launching a 4 year old game that's been 10 dollars for months time and time again at nearly full price would make people think "wow I'm not buying this shit" speak about this when it's 10-20 dollars at a Steam sale long term. It should've launched at 20 dollars, 30 max, 40 is a hard sale. 30 bucks didn't hurt Alan Wake or any other late port I don't know why they thought trying that on PC was a good idea.

Bryank75

Banned
Persona 4 Golden has already sold over 500k units, that's like half of what it sold on the vita and getting close to what Persona 4 sold on ps2.,

We'll probably see SMT down the line as well making their way to PC.

Not sure what Sony's plan is regarding PC releases, i don't think they care honestly, especially how much of a disaster Horizon was, they charged 3 times the cost of the game on PSN store for PS4 and it was a b.s port.
We'll see about P5 but my guess is that P4G sold 500K more than P5 ever will on PC.

Why do PC gamers always gloat about how much they spent on their rig to get 2 more fps but hate paying a fair amount for great games? I never got that...

I spent 200 on the Ghost of Tsushima CE. Well worth it, they deserve every penny.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Fair enough.

If you're a hardcore FPS, and had a taste of the keyboard+mouse combo, it's hard to go back. But if you at it from another angle, most of the players are in even grounds, and only skills+internet/ping and maybe the screen is different.

Currently, it's extremely hard for me to have a continuous online game without interruption from the kiddo :lollipop_downcast_sweat: So I'm mostly playing offline/SP or less demanding games like The Division, Destiny 2 (I hate it, but most of my friends love it). BF needs full attention!

ZZZZ

We'll see about P5 but my guess is that P4G sold 500K more than P5 ever will on PC.

Why do PC gamers always gloat about how much they spent on their rig to get 2 more fps but hate paying a fair amount for great games? I never got that...

I spent 200 on the Ghost of Tsushima CE. Well worth it, they deserve every penny.
"2 more fps"... :messenger_beaming:
PC gamers are not going to accept a shitty port from an old game at basically full price, if you don't get that well... that's your problem.

Bryank75

Banned
"2 more fps"... :messenger_beaming:
PC gamers are not going to accept a shitty port from an old game at basically full price, if you don't get that well... that's your problem.
Most ports on PC are pretty bad from what I hear...either that or PC gamers complain over anything.

Blond

Banned

TLOU 2 and Nier Automata are my games if the generation but I'll be damned if I'll give any developer 200 dollars for cheap Chinese plastic junk that's not worth more than 5 dollars lmao.

Hostile_18

Banned
Most ports on PC are pretty bad from what I hear...either that or PC gamers complain over anything.

I think of the Playstation games that have had patches fuck things up over 2 SKUs (Like the Witcher 3) then imagine trying to make it work well for thousands of hardware combinations. The challenge must be immense.

ZZZZ

"Most ports"...LOL
Most ports on PC are the best way to play the game, better FPS, better resolution, mods, better loading, Speed hacks available if you want to speed backtracking sections or grind nonsense, + a bunch more .

ZZZZ

It sorta already did using a ps3 emulator

That's why i meant Royal.
I beat both Persona 5 on PS4 and using PS3 emulator, between the 2 PS3 emulator is the best version because of mods, cheat engine and FPS.
Persona 5 Royal on PS4 is still the best persona 5 experience.

T-Cake

I'll keep my 1070 PC around for the games that are out now. But I'm hoping to be able to get both next-gen consoles and then buy a brand new PC in around 2023/4 unless there are mid-gen refreshes again.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
"Most ports"...LOL
Most ports on PC are the best way to play the game, better FPS, better resolution, mods, better loading, Speed hacks available if you want to speed backtracking sections or grind nonsense, + a bunch more .
You can't really go better than 4K and checkerboard is close enough.
The only real advantage is FPS , which will be solved on PS5..... but isn't it the 60 fps that is causing an issue for Horizon?

I'm glad that PC is there as an option to play, I used to primarily game there. The issue is that there is no platform holder that is trying to attract people to PC..... PlayStation is making games with the aim of attracting more people to play there and growing the userbase, if Valve was making loads of high quality games then it might be a more attractive prospect.

bronxct1

I built a PC a couple of years ago and find it really hard to consistently play games on it. I don’t use the PC for work so it’s hooked up to my TV and it’s not a great experience. At the end of the day being able to pick a game and play is where I’m at. Ease of use over everything else.

Bryank75

Banned
I think of the Playstation games that have had patches fuck things up over 2 SKUs (Like the Witcher 3) then imagine trying to make it work well for thousands of hardware combinations. The challenge must be immense.
Dunno, I never had that issue... don't even remember the Witcher 3 one even though I completed it..... it was just another game in the year for me, whereas PC gamers are still playing that and talking about it cause so few games of that quality release on PC these days.

Bryank75

Banned
BTW to my PC bros, I mean no disrespect or to annoy you with anything I'm saying, PC is great but it's not for everyone. All platforms have their pros and cons.

I love local gaming on hardware and if PlayStation went away tomorrow, I'd be on PC.

Hostile_18

Banned
The only real advantage is FPS , which will be solved on PS5..... but isn't it the 60 fps that is causing an issue for Horizon?

I'm glad that PC is there as an option to play, I used to primarily game there. The issue is that there is no platform holder that is trying to attract people to PC..... PlayStation is making games with the aim of attracting more people to play there and growing the userbase, if Valve was making loads of high quality games then it might be a more attractive prospect.

I agree with this especially the last paragraph. If the PC had AAA exclusives of it's own it would be a much more attractive proposition. Half Life 3 would be weighed up against God of War etc.

On the flip side though if Playstation made its exclusives multiplatform I'd be 100% PC as finally we would have a platform that played everything (outside of Nintendo exclusives).

ZZZZ

The FPS issue won't be solved on PS5, if a game is playable at 60fps on PS5 it will be playable over 60fps on PC, it's just the way it is.
There will be more RTX options available for those with expensive cards as well.
What playstation has going for them it's the exclusives and consoles are cheaper than building a PC.

Bryank75

Banned
The FPS issue won't be solved on PS5, if a game is playable at 60fps on PS5 it will be playable over 60fps on PC, it's just the way it is.
There will be more RTX options available for those with expensive cards as well.
What playstation has going for them it's the exclusives and consoles are cheaper than building a PC.
The new CPU is very decent, I'll be happy enough with 60fps in most games and 120 in stuff like GT7.
I'll upgrade when they do a mid-gen refresh. But you're right about where the strengths lie.

Hostile_18

Banned
I agree both formats are great. Another plus for consoles is how important split screen is. Some of the most fun I've had in gaming is local multiplayer. It's quite rare on PC. So I consider that when weighing up the next gen decision.

Top Bottom