• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

For those that have gone PC to Console or vice versa...

My current plan is...

• Staying on PC

Votes: 55 26.3%
  • Switching to PC

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • Staying on Console

Votes: 43 20.6%
  • Switching to Console

Votes: 8 3.8%
  • PC + Next Gen Console

Votes: 84 40.2%
  • Undecided

Votes: 12 5.7%

• Total voters

Hostile_18

Banned
... tell us your stories of triumph and woe around the fire 🔥

There's alot of people sitting on the fence at the moment. Master race PC gamers looking for a "it just works" console experience and Console peasants looking for a "no compromise" experience.

Tell us about your "transition". Why did you change system? Did it work out or was it something you later regretted? Has the higher specs of this coming gen changed things for you? (either way).

For those with PC and Console systems do they get equal attention or do you find yourself using one more than the other?

As we get older many variables change the way we want to play games. Let us learn from the past, cherish the present and get hyped for the new generation, what ever machine we ultimately do choose!

Last edited:

jigglet

Banned
I still have all consoles but I primarily game on PC now because I’m sick of not having control over FPS and FOV settings. It really annoyed me to see so many 30fps games next gen with a 60 FOV. I somewhat get low frame rates as they want to prioritize graphics, but FOV? Any modern engine is barely affected by increasing FOV. I haven’t played a game in 5 years that has had more than a few percent impact from going from 60 to 110FOV.

I don’t see it as a war though. Consoles have games PC’s don’t have while PC’s don’t have these bullshit limitations consoles have. 60FOV. For fucks sakes.

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned
I still have all consoles but I primarily game on PC now because I’m sick of not having control over FPS and FOV settings. It really annoyed me to see so many 30fps games next gen with a 60 FOV. I somewhat get low frame rates as they want to prioritize graphics but FOV? Any modern engine is barely affected by FOV. I haven’t played a game in 5 years that has had more than a few percent impact from going from 60 to 110FOV.

I don’t see it as a war though. Consoles have games PC’s don’t have while PC’s don’t have these bullshit limitations consoles have. 60FOV. For fucks sakes.

Must admit I'm always happy when console FPS's have a FOV slider.

I was briefly a PC user, left around the time Half Life 2/steam came out. As a console user over the years I've never felt like I was missing out as the consoles on a 65 calibrated OLED have always looked similar to what I imagine higher end PC gaming looks like (especially on my Pro). More traditional PC games that I missed have transitioned over to console just fine like Civilisation and Baldur's Gate. The increased emphasis on remasters has made me appreciate the console more as I don't feel like I'm starting all over again as the best games of gen 7 are on here such as Bioshock, Uncharted etc.

However all that been said having all X-Box games come out on PC and the first few PS exclusives getting ports has made me think twice. Emulating my PS2 games is also a massive draw as the increased resolution makes them look amazing. Still a little disappointing how hard it looks like 4k playback is on PC.

No wrong answers here, just alot of food for thought.

I own a pc, pro, xbox one x, and switch.

I find myself playing my pro for sony exclusives only, mp gaming on xbox one x(a large majority of my friends have xbox's), running multiplat single player campaigns on my pc at max settings and enjoying the switch for its exclusives/rpgs/.

Don't really miss anything and the wife and I have a good time.

The only "problem" or issue is when you play something on pc at length...then try to go play the console version of the game. We need new consoles cause that gap is too wide now.

Last edited:

HE1NZ

Banned
I never went full console, but I dabbed into it. Bought a whole bunch of them, but ultimately play most games on PC. I remember being shocked at poor framerates of PS3 and how game media largely ignored it.

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned
I never went to console, but I dabbed into it. Bought a whole bunch of them, but ultimately play most games on PC. I remember being shocked at poor framerates of PS3 and how game media largely ignored it.

That's a valid point. I think framarate is something you only appreciate once you haven't got it. Part of me thinks if I went to PC it would be hard to go back to console games if I started appreciating higher framerates.

That said I don't really appreciate the odd 60 fps console game like Doom at the moment. The only time 30fps felt bad was The Last of Us: Part 1... and I'm sure that mode is broken because no console game I've played has had a 30fps be that jittery.

I'd love to turn off all Motion blur, Grain, Depth of Field etc on all games though. You just can't beat a nice clean image.

Last edited:

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
I’ve always dabbled in pc stuff but always came back to consoles. The ease of use was always more appealing to me.

At the start of the pandemic had some changes and got harder for me to spend my time in front of a tv to game.

Got a good laptop and dam was so happy, now I could play destiny and other games way better looking on a screen right in front of me any time I wanted instead of hoping to get an hours or 2 in before I went to sleep.

When the return window was up sold my Xbox one x and PS4 pro (ended up getting more then I paid thanks pandemic!).

I’ll prob get a PS5 down the road for spider man 2 but if I never do no big loss. The games I play the longest and like the best show up on pc anyways.

Last edited:
I bought a pc right when the 1080's hit, it's starting to show it's age but it still runs everything like a beast for the most part. The irony is I spend 99% of my pc gaming time playing indies that would run on a toaster.

I use my switch and my pro about equally.

HE1NZ

Banned
That said I don't really appreciate the odd 60 fps console game like Doom at the moment. The only time 30fps felt bad was The Last of Us: Part 1... and I'm sure that mode is broken because no console game I've played has had a 30fps be that jittery.
If you're talking about PS3 version, it averages 25 fps most of the time.

By the time it launched I already knew what to expect from PS3, so it was whatever. But the one game that seemed like a bad joke (still is) is Heavenly Sword. It drops to 5-10 frames during a significant portion of the game and looks very average. It made it obvious that this hardware is really poorly designed.

Hostile_18

Banned
If you're talking about PS3 version, it averages 25 fps most of the time.

By the time it launched I already knew what to expect from PS3, so it was whatever. But the one game that seemed like a bad joke (still is) is Heavenly Sword. It drops to 5-10 frames during a significant portion of the game and looks very average. It made it obvious that this hardware is really poorly designed.

Oh I was talking about the PS4 version. Theres an option to choose 4k 30 fps and it's so bad there must be something else going on. I've never seen a camera do what it does when panning in other 30fps games. The other options are great though, so it wasnt a big deal. No idea if it was patched. I doubt it as theres still a colour issue in chapter 3 that turns all the blacks blue (apart from in cutscenes).

Bryank75

Banned
Said this in many threads now.... but I was a PC gamer back around 1998 to 2005, I bought a GPU back when they were a pretty new thing, I actually bought it in 'Game' and the guy was amazed that this kid was coming in to buy one....
was pretty easy to install, no power source needed for it, just needed an AGP slot. #

I used to play Jagged Alliance2 a lot, C&C TS and Generals later, Operation Flashpoint, Homeworld and Ground Control...

Was a golden age of PC gaming, feel like there is nothing really that captures my imagination anymore on PC.

Got back into console gaming at the end of PS3, went to PS4 (I had N64, GCN, PS2 and Wii too) and I'll be going to PS5 next hopefully.

Mister Wolf

For my first PC build I remember being lucky and managing to get an order in through Nvidia for a GTX 1080 the day of its release. Used it to play the Witcher 3 maxed out at 1440p. That's when I truly felt I joined the gaming elite haha.

Last edited:

TonyK

In previous generations I was primarily consoles, but this gen, because Ps4 dropped backwards compatibility, I migrated to PC.

It has been nice (I have a library of 600 games on Steam) but I'm considering migrating again for next gen, returning to consoles, because there is a feature I love from consoles and I think PC will never have: the resume function. For me it has been a game changer, more than 4k or raytracing.

I hope PS5 will give me the image quality I love from PC with the stability and resume function I love from consoles.

RAIDEN1

PC I can't be bothered to upgrade the components near enough every year, or the hassle in getting a decent controller, that's why for me on the PC its is strictly point and click and RTS games

Arun1910

I changed from a PS4 to primarily PC about 3 years ago because I absolutely hated 30fps. My main reason at the time was FPS, but now I've definitely learnt the Joys of a mouse and how much more accurate you can be than using Joysticks.

I now use my PC as my primary gaming system due to reasons above. I do, however, still really enjoy Sony exclusives. God of War, Uncharted, TLoU, Spider-Man, Horizon, Bloodbourne... I would never want to miss out on those.

Hopefully FPS won't be an issue next gen and consoles at least get an FPS performance mode. That will at least be one "transition to PC reason" gone, as 60fps is more than playable.

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned
I changed from a PS4 to primarily PC about 3 years ago because I absolutely hated 30fps. My main reason at the time was FPS, but now I've definitely learnt the Joys of a mouse and how much more accurate you can be than using Joysticks.

I now use my PC as my primary gaming system due to reasons above. I do, however, still really enjoy Sony exclusives. God of War, Uncharted, TLoU, Spider-Man, Horizon, Bloodbourne... I would never want to miss out on those.

Hopefully FPS won't be an issue next gen and consoles at least get an FPS performance mode. That will at least be one "transition to PC reason" gone, as 60fps is more than playable.

It would be great if every console game could be mandated to have a 1080p 60 fps mode for those gamers who prefer framerate over resolution. I wonder how much extra work load that would be on developers... I'd like to think not much given the specs of the consoles.

teezzy

Banned
Built a PC in 2015 for Witcher 3. There's just no going back after you've been spoiled by the pure freedom and power it provides.

Got all three consoles this gen, ended up selling off my PS4 and Switch because the games just no longer interested me. I really don't need to play Arms while I crap.

If I buy a console this upcoming gen to supplement my PC, it's gonna be Series X. I enjoy the concept of having access to Game Pass in two different rooms in my house. Also, if I'm going to drop $500+ on a machine to play NHL, I'm getting the one which will play it better.

MiguelItUp

Same as it always is for me. PC + next gen console. There was a period where I had PC, PS3, Wii/Wii U and 360. Before that I had PC, PS2, GC, and an Xbox for a little bit. Most recent has been PC, PS4, Switch, and an Xbox One for a bit when it launched. Now, I'm planning on getting one this gen. I'm seriously considering it being the PS5 as I have a PC and everything on XSX will be on PC. At least what we've seen thus far.

I'd love to get both for shits and giggles, but we'll see. I'm not in the market for a several hundred dollar paper weight.

Last edited:

Day by day i see less reasons to want a next gen console. The most they will be is QOL updates to the current ones. Nothing either has shown is exciting except maybe demons souls. I’ll eventually get them down the road but I have a pc library of 1300 plus games to keep me busy for a very long time.

Back Compat is the only real thing i want from the Ps5 so some of these ps4 games may run more to my standards.

I moved over to the PC platform because of the choices the platform offers and how much easier they are to use once they are set up properly with almost everything requiring only a few clicks at most. The cost is also lower in the long-term with no online fees and the availability of software at much lower prices more often. Modding, customization, and the ability to pick and choose my hardware at any point to cater to how I want to play are important features and only the PC platform allows it.

Since moving to PC the only console I've seen real value in has been the Switch since it's exclusives will never release on PC and I can take it with me since it's portable. Xbox has released all it's major titles on PC, and Sony has started to follow in their footsteps releasing theirs on PC.

Elcid

Banned
... tell us your stories of triumph and woe around the fire 🔥

There's alot of people sitting on the fence at the moment. Master race PC gamers looking for a "it just works" console experience and Console peasants looking for a "no compromise" experience.

Tell us about your "transition". Why did you change system? Did it work out or was it something you later regretted? Has the higher specs of this coming gen changed things for you? (either way).

For those with PC and Console systems do they get equal attention or do you find yourself using one more than the other?

As we get older many variables change the way we want to play games. Let us learn from the past, cherish the present and get hyped for the new generation, what ever machine we ultimately do choose!
I have a PC, PS4, and Switch. I’ve had two X1s I bought for exclusives and sold. My PC is used for games like FF14, DOTA2, Modern Warfare, and occasional multiplats but a lot of time I regret not using my PS4. My PC is great, got a good gaming chair, headset, nice 27” monitor but a lot of times I regret not being on my couch with my 65” being able to just use rest mode. Some games I just prefer my console and some I prefer my PC. For example, I have Street Fighter 5 on both console and PC and I always prefer it on my console.

Guilty_AI

I was on PC in the late 90s - early 20s. I was still a kid and played mainly racing games, although i also played stuff like GTA2, GTA SA, Half Life, CS, Flight Simulator... around 2009 I got myself an x360 and 2 years later a ps3, my reasoning was basically 'if i want to play games a console might be best for it'.

Fast forward a few years and around 2013 i found myself on playing on PC again while leaving my 2 consoles gathering dust. It wasn't even a super gaming pc or anything, just the old one i had from 5 years back and already showing age, but it could still run some games. Back then i really started getting into indie and older titles (since the PC would struggle with newer games).

Bought a new PC in 2015 and its the one i'm still using today with barely any new upgrades (mostly changed faulty components and went from 8gb to 16gb RAM). My sister got a PS4 and she lets me use it, so i can play exclusives although i barely ever do. I'm still satisfied with my PC and i'll probably only upgrade it again when something breaks.

In the end i just sort of got back into PC gaming naturally. I'm just more confortable with it overall, probably because i have far more control over my games than i do on consoles (something that really annoyed me plenty of times) and because its the house of indies which i happened to end up liking very much.

Last edited:

Tesseract

Banned
Cheating is something for me that always ruins the PC experience. I'd love to play Warzone on PC but the amount of cheating really defeats the purpose. So I play on console with crossplay disabled.
machine learning advancements will prolly ease that over the coming generation

respawn and easy cheat already flirting with this

lachesis

Well, I tend to stick to console games. Not really into western style FPS or MMO RPGs etc are one of the reason. I like niche, single player games, and JRPGs, some action games which tend to come out on consoles exclusively. But these days, more and more console exclusives are getting ported over, and gets released simultaneously - so I've been playing on PC a bit more than used to. All depends on the game's availability and price.

Emulation is another thing - I am fascinated by it, but I usually get all distracted with settings and plugins or whatnot, than actual games - so I usually end up just toying with it to satisfy my nerdy side, rather than playing an actual game itself. I don't really think I ever played a game from start to the end on Emulators. One thing I like the best about consoles though - are its simplicity in most games. Just plug-in, turn-on & play. These days, the line seems to get blurred between a bit - but by in large, still the console games are one of the simplest way to enjoy. For example - even though a game like GTAV isn't my cup of tea - I did download the free epic store version and installed it. After researching what could be my optimal settings for a couple of hours... I ended up not even playing the game past first 30 min.

I'm running a very old PC (3930k @ 4.2ghz oc'ed, GTX 970, 24gb RAM) - mostly use for my work and home tasks, but still runs surprisingly well on the types of games that I like to play.... and with new generation of consoles coming in this year - I am probably going to build a new PC entirely in 2-3 years. By then, I would have no regret of retiring of this old PC, as I would have used it for almost 10 years by then.

ZZZZ

I have a ps4 and PC, honestly my ps4 usually keeps collecting dust until a good exclusive release.

If it wasn't for exclusives i don't think there would be a reason to have a console.

junguler

Banned
i don't see any reason to buy a console this gen as 90%+ of the games i like are on pc and i think my gtx 1070 will be good enough (with some compromises) to continue playing games at 1080p.
in the past i used to buy consoles when my pc at the time was too weak to play third party games and enough good exclusive games have been made on that system but now we are spoiled for choice and it doesn't matter if i didn't get to play those exclusive games at all.

I have a ps4 and PC, honestly my ps4 usually keeps collecting dust until a good exclusive release.

If it wasn't for exclusives i don't think there would be a reason to have a console.

Day by day i see less reasons to want a next gen console. The most they will be is QOL updates to the current ones. Nothing either has shown is exciting except maybe demons souls. I’ll eventually get them down the road but I have a pc library of 1300 plus games to keep me busy for a very long time.

Back Compat is the only real thing i want from the Ps5 so some of these ps4 games may run more to my standards.

100%

Ulysses 31

PC I can't be bothered to upgrade the components near enough every year, or the hassle in getting a decent controller, that's why for me on the PC its is strictly point and click and RTS games
What PC component would you need to upgrade nearly every year? o_O

DualShock 4 and Xbox (Elite) Controller work fine on PC.

Last edited:

DESTROYA

? ? ??

Who says you need to upgrade your PC every year? I’ve had the same hardware for almost 3 years and have not felt the need or desire to upgrade anything.
Still play at 1080p but I’m perfectly fine with that.
You do realize you can use Xbox and PS controllers on PC right ?

I do all of my gaming on PC and my Switch, have a PS4 but haven’t used it in a long time.

Last edited:
I was like you. The last time I gamed on PC was in 2001. But trust me, a lot has changed.

PC is the place to be.

Prefer my pc but lately I miss couch comfy gaming. I know I can hook up the pc on my TV but the pc is in a smaller room /office

Last edited:

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Yeah cheating on PC really sucks if you are into those game. Not really into pvp stuff so the rampant cheating is destiny doesn’t bother me but it’s even in a casual game like fall guys...

That said I gave myself a shit load of money in red dead 2 so I didn’t have to loot everyone while I was playing and made that game 100% better. So guess with the good comes the bad.

Bought a PS4 just for Bloodborne (and later Persona 5) this gen. Wouldn't say it wasn't worth it, but I'm not doing that again, especially now that Sony exclusives and Persona games are starting to pop up on PC.

Bryank75

Banned
Bought a PS4 just for Bloodborne (and later Persona 5) this gen. Wouldn't say it wasn't worth it, but I'm not doing that again, especially now that Sony exclusives and Persona games are starting to pop up on PC.
Persona? No exclusives are going to PC....

They just brought 2 to PC at the end of the gen to let PC gamers see if they liked those style of games so they might be interested in PS5.

They just brought 2 to PC at the end of the gen to let PC gamers see if they liked those style of games so they might be interested in PS5.
"These style of games"... what? You realize we do have "these style of games' in abondance on PC? What are you even talking about?

Hostile_18

Banned

I think not even Sony knows what it wants to do long term relating to the PC. Their testing the waters now but it could go either way. I feel like Sony are more unpredictable than ever given the management change over and what Microsoft is currently doing.

GhostOfTsu

Banned
I started as a PC gamer only. I played mostly point-and-click adventures games and FPS like half-life, Deus Ex, no one lives forever, soldier of fortune etc. I looked down on console gamers because that's what we PC master race did. I laughed when I played Halo on PC, that shit was terrible. Console games lol then I bought a cheap PS2 to play GOW 1&2, Devil May Cry, Final Fantasies, Okami etc. Holy shit I missed all these exclusives because I was PC only? I hated myself.

Then I bought a PS3, X360 and Wii U to play all the single player exclusives. PS4 and Switch too. Sony and Nintendo are at the top for single-player games and that's what I enjoy the most.

I bought a powerful gaming laptop last year, I can play most games at Ultra 60fps+ but I don't even bother to plug it in. PS4pro and One X is good enough for me.

Patrick S.

Banned
I'm not very fond of my PS4 Pro. Most games still run like shit on it. No Man's Sky and DayZ, my favourite games, run like shit. I picked up the excellent Terminator: Resistance for it, and even that game with its kind of mediocre graphics has super shitty slowdowns, and generally bad framerates. There's nothing that feels "Pro" about this console.

I guess PS5 will be much better, and PC GPU prices are horrible, so I'm still undecided where to put my money first.

Last edited:
Top Bottom