• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida mom posts 15 minute video ranting about Islam being taught in World History

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueDEF

Neo Member
As someone who has the unfortunate circumstance of living in Florida I can say that this is far from a new story but just a newer iteration of it. I want to say around two years ago [some research after posting points to the ruckus happening early 2014] poi parents were up in arms over the teaching of the pillers of the Muslim faith along with early middle east culture. This fight got heavely politicized to the point that even the of the Florida education system [Last correction it was the local districts that made the statement, as far as I can find, the FES struck down the claim,apologies ] made a statement along the lines that the schools were teaching Sharia Law (or whatever biggie man of a scapegoat they felt like calling it, I was to busy trying to preform a lobotomy with my computer desk).I'll update with links for those interested, as well as figure out how to move away from here...
Correction link:http://www.orlandosentinel.com/features/education/school-zone/os-textbook-controversy-volusia-islam-post.html

Another unfortunate soul..
People don't believe shit is so ridiculous down here. Fact is, it is. The old biddies are actually worst that any other age category, because once someone they trust says nonsense once, it doesn't matter if it's walked back..they'll assume someone silenced them, which is what they were told would happen.

Trailer, apartment, house, duplex..whatever. These people exist, are all over and they never miss voting day..

This is the sad result of the neoconservative jingoism used as a lever to convince people of some distant bogeyman and give cover for unwarranted foreign intervention and the curtail basic individual liberties domestically. She is an unwitting victim of a manufactured culture war, and is representative of a large swath of unfortunate public opinion.

The interesting thing is that her psychological resistance to the history of Islam probably lead to the most involved study of her adult life, as she tried to form a coherent opinion to present in her video. She may be dumb as a brick, but she's probably better for having read all that, and even though she's interpreting it wildly she's actually been forced to exercise some sort of critical thinking and form reasons why she's so flustered.

Ishan

English proves its deficiencies in the second person plural.

Y'all unfortunately comes off as uneducated.

Also, isn't arabic numberals a misnomer as they originated on the indian sub continent?

whole other issue the origin of the decimal system (concept of zero is from india and that's how the decimal system started then the system spread to the arab region and the numerals itself are sometimes considered a same system. you can look at the script for indian numbers for even modern indian languages and they are extremely similar

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_numerals
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hindu–Arabic_numeral_system#Predecessors

side note on topic this whole stance is stupid now shell complain about how things are called algebra or algorithms (all influenced by middle easter/persion words ) etc ... science and math is a worldwide thing and lots of knowledge transfer has happened. ...

on topic shes an idiot its perfectly okay to learn about what all has influenced our history . next shell say we should not know anything about romans or something rubbish like that.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
All major religions history, origin, effects, founders, etc. IS taught in schools. Took AP World History and I had a rundown of every major religion. I was never taught Arabic numerals though. Also Christianity and its effects were studied. Ugh, Florida.

Holy shit :O ......... :p

Aselith

facebook comment said:
We didn't have that kind of history and our generation turned out fine.

Didn't have the kind of math where they use AY RAB NUMBERS NEITHER. I still got me a Walmart job

This shit belongs in no school anywhere. Should be made extinct. Wiped out and never heard again. Or let's just go back to witch hunting. Medieval practicing fucks.

lol

Log4Girlz

"You all motherfuckers need Jesus"

Nope. Doesn't work.

uGqzAkN.png

Cocaloch

The interesting thing is that her psychological resistance to the history of Islam probably lead to the most involved study of her adult life, as she tried to form a coherent opinion to present in her video. She may be dumb as a brick, but she's probably better for having read all that, and even though she's interpreting it wildly she's actually been forced to exercise some sort of critical thinking and form reasons why she's so flustered.

This is actually exactly what I thought as well. It sounds like she actually read the entire chapter.

German-guy here. We learned about almost every single religion during school, i think we used like half a year for islam and half a year for Hinduism and Buddhism...we learned about most european history as well as important world-wide historical facts...yet somehow even people here are like that Florida mom (maybe not as much)

The worst thing is, most people above a certain age just dont even try to learn something new. The know what they been tought years ago and now thats fact. They made it in life and dont understand that time changed and children will learn different stuff nowadays...knowledge isnt set in stone, its growing and progressing as we are...well most of us.

And if Florida mom really read the chapter, she just didnt get it...sorry folks for the long post, I just think education shouldnt stop once you leave school...

I learned about every religion in school. We had chapters about all of them, from Buddhism to Christianity, and we even learned about marxism, and communism, and democracy, etc etc.

I don't get it. This is part of this world. Don't make every child a bigot or ignorant. Let them learn what they need to learn, and let them make decisions for themselves what they want to retain and what they don't want to.

Aurongel

Teaching children about religions isn't indoctrination, it's education.

Teaching children about a single religion is indoctrination, big difference.

G.ZZZ

Crusades weren't even a religious motivated conflict. The pope issued them for different reasons altogether. Lady, study your history please.

johnny956

I went to a private christian high school and even in our World History class we had speakers come from other religions to speak to us and this was in 2002/2003. One of the few classes I really enjoyed in high school. I feel like our society is going backwards in regards to this

I went to a private christian high school and even in our World History class we had speakers come from other religions to speak to us and this was in 2002/2003. One of the few classes I really enjoyed in high school. I feel like our society is going backwards in regards to this

It really might just be the destiny of humanity to repeat the same mistakes over and over again.

Unless things have changed in 2 years, last I remember we learned World History before US History.

Yeah, the way I did it when I was younger, we started with Ancient World history in 6th grade. Then we went from Medieval (7th) to U.S (8th). In high school, it was World, then U.S, then European world history. The last two were AP classes for me, so I was lucky on that regard.

I don't know how it is now, but I hope its still like this to some extent.

Africanus

Yeah, the way I did it when I was younger, we started with Ancient World history in 6th grade. Then we went from Medieval (7th) to U.S (8th). In high school, it was World, then U.S, then European world history. The last two were AP classes for me, so I was lucky on that regard.

I don't know how it is now, but I hope its still like this to some extent.

I never had Ancient World or Medieval history, but in my high school I did World History A.P. sophomore year and just finished up U.S. History A.P. last year.

Two very important classes that I feel are necessary for anybody.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom