• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida mom posts 15 minute video ranting about Islam being taught in World History

Status
Not open for further replies.
A Florida mom posted a rambling 15 minute video to her Facebook account complaining that her son’s high school world history class textbook spends an entire chapter on Muslims and advances in the Islamic world, including the “origin of Ay-rabic numerals.”

“Now there is one whole chapter, and it’s chapter 10 that starts on page 116 and goes to 151, and it tells nothing — basically everything about Muslim civilizations and ‘she-hara’ (sic) law. You name it — it talks about it,” she explains.

Paging through the book, Normandin lists off an overview of the history of Islam, including the Crusades where both Christians and Muslims are criticized for “committing appalling atrocities in the name of religion,” leaving a “legacy of religious bitterness.”

The mom dismisses it with, “You see they’re not telling the full truth about the Crusades.”

“It even has the origin of ‘Ay-rabic’ numerals,” she read from the book. “So Eastern Muslim regions, Western Muslim regions, and Modern Western. And it shows you actually how to write ’em.”

Following her review of the chapter, Normandin asserted, “We need to stand up against this, y’all. Our children don’t need to be taught this. It’s not teaching them facts. It’s not teaching them truth. It’s basically telling them that this is going to be the way of life.”

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/10/wat...rom-learning-about-islam-and-arabic-numerals/

Has this gone viral? I saw some of my relatives post this and there several stories about (including Fox I think, but that might be the other viral rant about Islam from a person in California). One of my relatives is saying it's unfair that Islam is taught, but Christianity isn't. They don't even try to understand that the religion isn't taught, but the impact of Islam on history is.

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/10/wat...rom-learning-about-islam-and-arabic-numerals/

Has this gone viral? I saw some of my relatives post this and there several stories about (including Fox). One of my relatives is saying it's unfair that Islam is taught, but Christianity isn't. They don't even try to understand that the religion isn't taught, but the impact of Islam on history is.

All major religions history, origin, effects, founders, etc. IS taught in schools. Took AP World History and I had a rundown of every major religion. I was never taught Arabic numerals though. Also Christianity and its effects were studied. Ugh, Florida.

Razmos

Does Christianity need to be studied when its forced down your throat at every opportunity? I imagine most of America learns Christianity by osmosis

Oh no, those poor Christians :(

First they take away Christian science, now they want to learn about Islamic contributions to the world!

nilbog21

Banned
I mean, why is this news? This lady lives in a trailer and can barely read; to her islam is synonymous with evil. I dont think theres a need to propagate this garbage

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
All major religions history, origin, effects, founders, etc. IS taught in schools. Took AP World History and I had a rundown of every major religion. I was never taught Arabic numerals though. Also Christianity and its effects were studied. Ugh, Florida.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

The_more_you_know_banner.jpg

You were never taught arabic numerals???? Holy shit, Florida is worse than I thought!

edit: aw, you have four people piling on you in two minutes. sorry for contributing to that, it was too funny to resist. :)

inky

0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Consider yourself taught.

MattyG

Banned
“It even has the origin of ‘Ay-rabic’ numerals,” she read from the book. “So Eastern Muslim regions, Western Muslim regions, and Modern Western. And it shows you actually how to write ’em.”
nick-young-confused-face-300x256_nqlyaa.png

Pepiope

Apparently she said she won her case with the school, whatever that means. I guess they are skipping the chapter now?

Dabanton

Normandin is not alone in her complaints. Parents in various states — including Maryland, Tennessee and Georgia — have objected to their children being taught about the role of Islam in world history.

Haha

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member

Thanks to the same magic time machine that was also used to plant references to Obama's 'birth' in Hawaii, Muslims surreptitiously infiltrated every level of America and Europe's educational institutions and Arabic numerals now form the basis for a field called "Mathematics".

Well, congrats US, a few more idiots like this la... person, and you'll be on your wait to be degraded to "developing nation" (PC Police would be at arms if we plainly call you "Third World Country").

At least culturally, all these year hoarding pointy stick and your stubbornness in going back 100 years intellectually are still holding you number 1 as warmongers. Economically, who knows? Maybe if China decides to collect.

jerry1594

182px-Van_Gogh_-_Trauernder_alter_Mann.jpeg

Well, congrats US, a few more idiots like this la... person, and you'll be on your wait to be degraded to "developing nation" (PC Police would be at arms if we plainly call you "Third World Country").

At least culturally, all these year hoarding pointy stick and your stubbornness in going back 100 years intellectually are still holding you number 1 as warmongers. Economically, who knows? Maybe if China decides to collect.
Developing post

Sliver

fact that she says "y'all" says everything you need to know about her intellect and ass backwards views

The fact that you don't use capitalization or punctuation tells me all I need to know about your intellect. Jeez, generalizing people sure is easy and fun!

danm999

I wonder if all the people praising her in the comments saying she's 100% right know they're using sinful, insidious Arabic numerals to convey meaning.

ReAxion

Well congrats, M1ch04c4n0, you don't know the definition of a third world country.

DrSlek

Capital knockers!

This convinced me to actually click on the link.

Anyway, these kind of people shouldn't be given the attention they so clearly seek. If her video "goes viral" it just helps her spread her ignorance to other uninformed people.

FyreWulff

"the real story about the crusades" ?

let me guess, she's a Protestant that's suddenly backing a Catholic event, again?

Armaros

Has this gone viral? I saw some of my relatives post this and there several stories about (including Fox I think, but that might be the other viral rant about Islam from a person in California). One of my relatives is saying it's unfair that Islam is taught, but Christianity isn't. They don't even try to understand that the religion isn't taught, but the impact of Islam on history is.

That's very odd, considering I learned about the Catholic church, The Protestant Reformation and the Crusades and its effects all in high school world history.

I guess they really mean, its not pure bible study.

This is actually worrisome. Kids shouldn't be taught Muslim in World History. Muslim has nothing to do with world history, it's just indoctrination into the Islam nation.

Everyone knows world history started in 1776, when President Washington defeated the Islamic King of England.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom