• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida governor Rick Scott: We won't comply with health care law

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know the more I read about politics the more I think that we do need two countries because of how polarized this shit is. Plus then the democrats could be the new right for the blue states and we could get some real liberals.

In addition to the real ones in Congress?

KevinCow

Banned
Because it is the federal government and they are states. End of story, really.

That doesn't answer my question.

If some state and its government just absolutely refuse to support and enforce it, what manner of action would the government take to make them do it? Take away funding? Remove the people from office? Send in the National Guard?

You can tell them, "Hey, you have to do what we tell you to do because we're the federal government and you are the states," until you're blue in the face, but if they're being stubborn and defiant like this, then is that gonna do anything?

If some state and its government just absolutely refuse to support and enforce it, what manner of action would the government take to make them do it? Take away funding? Remove the people from office? Send in the National Guard?

You can tell them, "Hey, you have to do what we tell you to do because we're the federal government and you are the states," until you're blue in the face, but if they're being stubborn and defiant like this, then is that gonna do anything?

I feel like the removal of funding would be the main course of action. Take away the money from the politician and you'll definitely get their attention.

DasRaven

I fully expect Nikki Haley to follow suit as soon as possible.
Southern Nullification: Because it worked so well last time!

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Not happy to be moving back either, but that's where my family lives and they're my pillar while I'm in school. I want to move back to California or North Carolina when I finish school.

It's depressing driving down there for visits as I watch the scenery devolve from gorgeous forests, hills and mountains to flat dull deep green marshland and swamps.

Why in the hell would you go to florida for school?

GaimeGuy

Not happy to be moving back either, but that's where my family lives and they're my pillar while I'm in school. I want to move back to California or North Carolina when I finish school.

It's depressing driving down there for visits as I watch the scenery devolve from gorgeous forests, hills and mountains to flat dull deep green marshland and swamps.

Why would you go to Florida for education? o_O

I believe the US Marshals service can go in and arrest the governor and other high level state officials.

The ability to run the exchanges doesn't need to be an office in the state. The federal government can simply run it from DC.

GaimeGuy

If Florida rejects their funding, the funds should be distributed to other states that will accept it.

not surprising considering Rick Scott's fraudulent past concerning health care in particular

Florida failed at voting for the right Governor, they deserve Scott

Lisa-Simpson-Floreda.jpg

My condolences. I wouldn't even wish this guy on Florida. Hopefully you guys show him the door in a couple of years. What a piece of work.

RobotHaus

Unconfirmed Member
Living in Florida is such a strange thing. There are wonderful things in the state, but there are terrible people in the state. Most of us are pretty quiet, but when the idiots speak up, the rest of the state takes a hit and we look as stupid as the company we keep.

That said, we all hate Rick Scott, except for the uneducated idiots who voted for him, and even then still I think the majority of the state wasn't allowed to vote in the previous election or possibly the election had some sort of mystery to it(this is Florida). If we could, we would remove him and I should do some research to make sure we can. Rick Scott is one of those universal subjects in Florida that can link the decent folk in the room, just bring up the Lightrail and they will all agree in unison about the worst decision in recent gubernatorial history.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
The Federal government is funding the Medicaid expansion fully for like 3 years or something (2014-2017 I believe). He's going to turn down billions of dollars and make sure millions of his states citizens don't get health care? There should be angry mobs knocking down his door.

He also can't do shit about the exchanges. The Feds will be happy to come in and work the exchanges for him.

Matt

In that casem the ACA gives the federal government the power to set up the health exchange in the state, bypassing the state government completely.

The Federal government is funding the Medicaid expansion fully for like 3 years or something (2014-2017 I believe). He's going to turn down billions of dollars and make sure millions of his states citizens don't get health care? There should be angry mobs knocking down his door.

He also can't do shit about the exchanges. The Feds will be happy to come in and work the exchanges for him.

I promise you he won't be re-elected. That shit will NOT happen.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
So, Scott doesn't like Obamacare.. what's his solution to having the 3rd most uninsured constituents.

For some reason, I don't think Mr. Scott has an ideas on how to fix this.

So, Scott doesn't like Obamacare.. what's his solution to having the 3rd most uninsured constituents.

For some reason, I don't think Mr. Scott has an ideas on how to fix this.

Republicans have one plan, try to destroy Obama. They could give two shits about jobs, economy, foreign policy--only as a talking point.

Oh yeah, they also care about what women do with their vaginas and keeping their idiot minions as dumb as possible.

GashPrex

NeoGaf-Gold™ Member
You know for all the shit Florida gets on GAF - I pay no state income taxes, my property taxes are low, town services run well, roads are good and landscaped. I am not saying I agree with Scott but the FL government does something right.

This is in stark contrast to New England where I lived for 12 years where I paid high state taxes, town services were shitty and it was all generally dirty/old.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom