• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gruco

Banned
Monday
Squat - 3 sets of 5
Bench Press/Press - 3 sets of 5
Chin-ups - 3 sets to failure

Wednesday
Squat - 3 sets of 5
Deadlift - 1 set of 5

Friday
Squat - 3 sets of 5
Pull-ups - 3 sets to failure

Little over three weeks with this. Progress so far.

Squat 115-190
Dead 115-190
Bench 115-135
OHP 65-85

No change in chins, as far as I can tell.

Also gained about 10 pounds 173-182
Still really happy with it, and kicking myself for not having gotten started with something like this years ago. It both gets better results and is more fun to do than stuff like P90X I was doing beforehand. I feel like I need to work in power cleans before too long, and am getting anxious that I'm not running as much as I used to, but I can see myself sticking to this for quite some time.

Can't hijack a fitness thread with fitness talk, that's as on topic as can be

1. Squats and deads don't do much for biceps- there's a tiny bit of stabilizing in squats.Nearly everybody picks 1 type of curl to do alongside the basic strength training program. People often add an abs exercise as well. Even people who don't do that at first add them later on.

2. Regardless of your goals some strength training in a compound -centric program helps.
Strength or conditioning: moving your body as a whole in a compound lift is more applicable to outside situations.
Bodybuilding: movements are way more effective at putting on size if you are stronger, and it is easier to put on size on a strength training program than a bodybuilding program.
Extremely casual "want to look more buff" type of bodybuilding is basically the same. A dude w a strong back will look better than a skinny guy with slightly larger than average arms.
Health: more muscles worked = more calories burned and more lean body mass over time, which means a lower body fat percentage at any weight/ food intake level.

3. Doing many variations of arm exercises is completely unnecessary for a beginner.

4. A strong core makes all moves feel better. Can't do curls if your back can't hold you still. Can't bench that way either.

5. The guys busting their asses to do heavy squats and deads w good form are the last ones who will give you shit for getting started at those moves. People do not care how strong you are as long as you use shit for its intended purpose. Don't use the squat rack to do barbell bicep curls, and no one will resent you for existing inside it.

Thank you for this. Really put it into perspective. What's your advice on starting weight for squats and dead lift?

Speaking of arm work, I started doing incline seated bicep curls.

fantastic.

Those are solid. They kill like mother abd they feel great afterward.

just dont even fucking start lifting with that attitude

My attitude is obviously something I want to work on. I'm realizing that training is 10% physical and 90% mental. I hope I can count on you for tips as well.

Petrie

Banned
Thank you for this. Really put it into perspective. What's your advice on starting weight for squats and dead lift?

Those are solid. They kill like mother abd they feel great afterward.

My attitude is obviously something I want to work on. I'm realizing that training is 10% physical and 90% mental. I hope I can count on you for tips as well.

Just remember what Arnold said:

You can't chisel a pebble

It will always be true. You have to build that solid base man.

For you? start with just the bar. Add 10 pounds each workout. Watch your confidence soar to the heavens

359lt3t.jpg

sphinx

the piano man

I will 1-up this post and direct you to Sphinx's epic thread of shame and embarrasment.

I mean, look at that fucking topic title, I always laugh when I go back to it. Thanks everyone who tried to help me back then that are here, Zoe, FE, and others that I don't see posting here.

that was the first time I ever posted anything fitness related in the whole forum, before I even got started with anything. I left the OP intact on purpose, I want to have a laugh every once in a while.

starting on this is hard because you have nobody to help you, there's no coach or teacher and all you have is friends and internet and the internet is harsh.

Cosmic and Space, if you are going to a commercial gym, try finding a trainer and have them tell you how the lifts are executed. Being with a trainer doing the lifts for the first time gives you a lot of confidence. then record a video and share with veterans here so they can check your form and then you are all set.

blackflag

First day on "Keto" was kind of hard... didn't know mushrooms had so many carbs, and ate a bunch of them, that fucked me up good today. Also, almonds can have a lot of carbs. Another lesson learned:

Calories 2,674 (still a 320 deficit)
Carbs 54 (Still low carb)
Fat 217
Protein 156 (hitting it!)
Sodium 7,775
Magnesium 751

My lifts have suffered, but I understand that is a reality with life. As long as I don't lose too much, I'll be fine with it:

Squat 295x3x5 OK
Bench 195 4/3/2 Ugly
Chin ups 5/5/5 OK

You do know you subtract fiber from your carb total right? Mushrooms are mostly fiber and perfectly fine on keto. I mean unless you ate a truckload of them.

WorldStar

Banned
So was down deadlifting today, 21-15-9 reps with 80kg. I don't do a lot of deadlift, but I was surprised when I got a look at my arms afterwards...

Should I be worried? Not sore or anything, just looks a bit crazy

da fuck caused that?

only surface level wounds I've had from DLs are bloody shins

blackflag

So was down deadlifting today, 21-15-9 reps with 80kg. I don't do a lot of deadlift, but I was surprised when I got a look at my arms afterwards...

looks like capillaries broke. Weird spot when deadlifting.

It happened to me real bad when flying in an F-16 and also it used to happen in my shoulder when I'd shoot a 12 guage when I was a kid.

That's kinda what it looks like to me.

Is what I'm guessing as well, so initially I'm not that worried. It just dissappears, no harm done, right?
My grip strength is not that good, it is also a problem for me in pull-ups, but I didn't think it was that bad :)

This, good sirs, is a good breakfast:

3 Scrambled eggs with green bell pepper slices, 2 strip.s of bacon, monterey Cheese and 1 slice of avocado with hot sauce and half a glass of milk

TOTAL 644cals, 10g of carbs, 46g of fat, 35g of protein, 1,358mg of sodium.

You do know you subtract fiber from your carb total right? Mushrooms are mostly fiber and perfectly fine on keto. I mean unless you ate a truckload of them.

Yup I ate a whole bunch

Imm0rt4l

I don't think those came from deadlifts. I'd sooner blame it on a machine/instrument that wasn't sanitized.

blackflag

This, good sirs, is a good breakfast:

3 Scrambled eggs with green bell pepper slices, 2 strip.s of bacon, monterey Cheese and 1 slice of avocado with hot sauce and half a glass of milk

TOTAL 644cals, 10g of carbs, 46g of fat, 35g of protein, 1,358mg of sodium.

Yup I ate a whole bunch

yep but I'd drop the milk.

abuC

So it's day 2 of UD 2.0 and day 4 overall of my really low carbs (no more than 80g) and my short term memory is shot right now. I hope this gets better or else I'm going to need to start writing things down.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
So it's day 2 of UD 2.0 and day 4 overall of my really low carbs (no more than 80g) and my short term memory is shot right now. I hope this gets better or else I'm going to need to start writing things down.

You'll snap out of it in a couple days. Fog will lift, life is clear. Is your Chivalry game suffering?

abuC

You'll snap out of it in a couple days. Fog will lift, life is clear. Is your Chivalry game suffering?

That's good to hear cause I've had more "What was I thinking of" moments today than I normally have in a week.

LOL, I've gotten really good at Chivalry, no drop off yet.

Time for some more depletion!

I dread doing it, I felt ok yesterday but I know it's going to be terrible later tonight.

Lol. I couldn't operate without coffee myself.

Another question (sorry for all the questions) but I have a barbell and plates at home. Could I practice at home, safely, before tackling a squat rack at the gym?

I would use it to practice form with an unloaded bar only

yep but I'd drop the milk.
Will do. I have to get finish the gallon of milk that's sitting on my fridge though, hence why half a glass.

Never drop the milk crew checking in. Easy way to add 20g of protein to a shake.
I love milk, but lactose is still a carb

deadbeef

That's good to hear cause I've had more "What was I thinking of" moments today than I normally have in a week.

LOL, I've gotten really good at Chivalry, no drop off yet.

I dread doing it, I felt ok yesterday but I know it's going to be terrible later tonight.

Looking forward to hearing about your results. I might sack up and do UD2.0 also. Pretty big commitment though. Results are awesome though

duxstar

Still on starting strength after 6 weeks, thinking its time to move on soon, topping out on squats, bench and deadlift. My goal is to still lose weight which didn't really happen on SS, what do you guys do to "cut" ? I need to drop at least 20 pounds.

I was gonna switch over to 5/3/1 but that seems to be a bulking program ? .... Need advice lol

blackflag

I would use it to practice form with an unloaded bar only

Will do. I have to get finish the gallon of milk that's sitting on my fridge though, hence why half a glass.

I love milk, but lactose is still a carb

Yeah it's just not a good choice for Keto. You want your carbs to come from nuts and greens and incidental carbs like that. All those milk carbs are sugar and will interfere.

Here's a good trick. Heavy cream (Not half n half). Especially in your protein shake. like 4 tablespoons heavy cream, water, protein powder. tastes better than milk.

Also, unsweetened almond milk.

blackflag

Still on starting strength after 6 weeks, thinking its time to move on soon, topping out on squats, bench and deadlift. My goal is to still lose weight which didn't really happen on SS, what do you guys do to "cut" ? I need to drop at least 20 pounds.

I was gonna switch over to 5/3/1 but that seems to be a bulking program ? .... Need advice lol

I dropped 100 lbs on SS so I dunno. 6 weeks is no time. You shouldn't switch to 5/3/1 for a loooong time. If you think you are maxing SS after 6 weeks you are doing it wrong brother.

Petrie

Banned
You'll probably get differing advice on this. My advice would be to deload and focus on form. Form is critical when lifting, especially on the major lifts. Master the form, then work your way up from there.

very interesting! How would you say it compares to spaghetti squash?

You editted in above me and I missed this entirely. Spaghetti squash has a better texture, but th miracle noodles don't affect the "taste" the same way. I'd take the miracle noodles.

I have tested and found no more of a spike than any other food for me. I've seen those reports and I don't know if I'm the outlier, but they don't seem to give me any short term spike.

hmmm petrie I was looking at reviews of quest bars on amazon, there are multiple people who reviewed the products who are diabetics and they say after eating the bars an hour later their blood sugar spikes to high levels

Have you tested your blood sugar after eating them?

I just wanted to let you know from today's anecdotal testing. I was at a 55 for my blood glucose this morning, so I ate a cinnabun quest bar and 2 of the peanut butter cups. 2 hours lateR I am sitting at 109. Considering the carbs and my body turning some of the protein into sugar, this falls right in line with what I'd expect. No spikes for me. If In can answer anything else, don't hesitate.

Sorry I missed your first post my friend.

duxstar

I dropped 100 lbs on SS so I dunno. 6 weeks is no time. You shouldn't switch to 5/3/1 for a loooong time. If you think you are maxing SS after 6 weeks you are doing it wrong brother.

Did you do supplemental cardio, did you eat more calories/less, did you do a keto diet? Did you take in massive amounts of protein (200g+ a day).

I said I was maxing out because I'm having to deload quite a bit on those exercises..... According to one of those bf℅ scales I'm 38 ℅ bf .... Which makes me want to punch something. So tired of being fat.

Noema

Probably from gripping the bar. I used to get them when I started doing Chin-ups.

You'll live.

Noema

Did you do supplemental cardio, did you eat more calories/less, did you do a keto diet? Did you take in massive amounts of protein (200g+ a day).

I said I was maxing out because I'm having to deload quite a bit on those exercises..... According to one of those bf℅ scales I'm 38 ℅ bf .... Which makes me want to punch something. So tired of being fat.

If you are deloading after just 6 weeks of SS you are doing something wrong.

blackflag

no cardio, 2,500 cals per day, I did CKD Keto, I was at least 38% bf probably 40 something. Now I'm like 12%. Lost almost all of it on SS. 220-250g protein per day

I'm not saying you should do all that, just saying that it is possible to lose weight on SS while still increasing the lifts.

Probably from gripping the bar. I used to get them when I started doing Chin-ups.

You'll live.

Alas! I've been going over the workout in my mind over and over again, to figure it out (didn't believe the grip theory that much myself, especially since they've gotten a bit more sensitive by now) and I think I've finally found the culprit - Deadlift was the only heavy lift, and I believe it comes from friction with my legs picking up the bar and putting it down - I really need to work on my deadlift form, been waiting for three weeks for my starting strength book to arrive :l

Starting strength wiki link in op -> read the entire "the program" page, but ESPECIALLY the bit about the first week's workouts, and adding weight.

Deadlifts could be awkward at lower weights if your gym doesn't have training plates (plates that are the size of a 45 but weigh less than that). You could do them as romanian deadlifts at the low weights, or just suck it up and move through a bigger range of motion. If you pick larger RoM be sure to keep your back straight.

And always always err on the side of starting too low. You'll make up the difference fast and be better off in the long run- it ensures good form and lets the smaller muscles keep pace.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom