• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT4| Squat Booty, Summer Cuts, and Super Swoletrophy

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm getting back into the workout scene again. I am not sure what routine to pick. I use to do starting strength and while I was impressed by my muscle growth I didn't really feel that much healthier as it didn't focus on aerobics (for obvious reasons). I'm looking for something that while will make me stronger brings up my overall fitness. Any recommendations?

Cagey

Banned
I find the rope attachment even more boring for some reason Haha I switched from rope pulldowns to tricep pulldowns. But I really want to just switch it to a free weight exercise for my triceps.

No reason to drop a pulldown motion, just make sure to use it as supplementary to a heavier mass building exercise like skullcrushers or close-grip bench, rather than as a substitute. Plus, those triceps pushdowns aren't so boring after you've already exhausted the muscle.

ezrarh

I'm getting back into the workout scene again. I am not sure what routine to pick. I use to do starting strength and while I was impressed by my muscle growth I didn't really feel that much healthier as it didn't focus on aerobics (for obvious reasons). I'm looking for something that while will make me stronger brings up my overall fitness. Any recommendations?

What do you define as healthy and overall fitness? What do you want to be able to do? If you want more conditioning do more conditioning and lower the amount of days spent on strength work. Everybody has their own idea of personal fitness so it's good to know exactly what you want.

MjFrancis

What do you define as healthy and overall fitness? What do you want to be able to do? If you want more conditioning do more conditioning and lower the amount of days spent on strength work. Everybody has their own idea of personal fitness so it's good to know exactly what you want.
I like that train of thought.

Fitness is defined differently from person to person. And despite this being the Fitness Thread, the word's utility is almost nil because of this lack of a universal definition. So as the OP says, the more specific your goals, the better others can help you tailor your training to meet them.

Dash27

A lot of people here are doing Wendler's 5/3/1. I'm doing it now and it's a good mix that allows for conditioning work. I'd still suggest SS though until you get all your newbie gains, then move on to 5/3/1 or similar.

^^^ Thanks. I just don't want to get overweight.

In short I want to be strong and health. I don't want to be a mountain of muscles but I'd like to have some real definition in my arms. I don't need to run a marathon but I'd like to able to jog for sometime without getting tired.

teiresias

Oh geez, between laying on a hardwood floor for prolonged periods this past Sunday taking product photos in a lightbox, and then overdoing the static lunges and squats on Monday, I've got a sore lower back and apparently pulled something in my left hamstring and/or groin. I can barely stand up, much less get out of a chair. Ugh!!! Even left work early today since it was just getting too painful standing at my desk.

Sorry, just had to vent!

Just joined a gym a month ago and started turning my diet around. I go every other day and run two miles on the treadmill, then do reps on the machines. Haven't fooled around with free weights all that much.

My goal is to tighten some areas of my body up, namely the abdominal and gluteal regions. I haven't lost a lot of weight yet, seems to fluctuate. And I still need to develop a reliable diet. I'm trying to fit this all into a schedule that also requires me at school and work full-time, but I'm definitely feeling better, if that's a good indication.

sphinx

the piano man
In short I want to be strong and health. I don't want to be a mountain of muscles but I'd like to have some real definition in my arms. I don't need to run a marathon but I'd like to able to jog for sometime without getting tired.

you'll join the darkside :D lol

once your arms look the way you want to, you'll want them even bigger, and then bigger... and then the rest of your body. Once you get started, there's some physical pleasure in lifting that compels you to continue pushing yourself. If you train in a gym, watching other guys looking fantastic, not just with mildly defined arms, that will make you think "I am busting my ass here, no reason I can't look like them or better, let's do this"

(don't take my comment that seriously, but that's was usually happens, from what I've seen in friends and myself

Cudder

Just joined a gym a month ago and started turning my diet around. I go every other day and run two miles on the treadmill, then do reps on the machines. Haven't fooled around with free weights all that much.

My goal is to tighten some areas of my body up, namely the abdominal and gluteal regions. I haven't lost a lot of weight yet, seems to fluctuate. And I still need to develop a reliable diet. I'm trying to fit this all into a schedule that also requires me at school and work full-time, but I'm definitely feeling better, if that's a good indication.
Start doing compound lifts. If you're pressed for time at the gym there is no better way to get a workout in and worm multiple muscles at once than compounds. Use machines as assistance to your compounds. Plus since you're a beginner compound lifts would benefit you much more at this stage anyway. Compound lifts.

Start doing compound lifts. If you're pressed for time at the gym there is no better way to get a workout in and worm multiple muscles at once than compounds. Use machines as assistance to your compounds. Plus since you're a beginner compound lifts would benefit you much more at this stage anyway. Compound lifts.

Alrighty. Probably won't go today because shoveling wet snow off my sloped driveway will wipe me out, but I'll remember that for tomorrow afternoon.

andycapps

Alrighty. Probably won't go today because shoveling wet snow off my sloped driveway will wipe me out, but I'll remember that for tomorrow afternoon.

Man, shoveling that wet snow sucked. And we only got about 3 inches of it. I can't imagine those that got the foot that I've seen in some areas. I'd pay a neighbor kid to shovel us out if that were the case.

rando14

kLqwHvP.gif

oh my

Cudder

So, doing this cut for a few days and I've noticed something.

I actually feel "fuller" for most of the day. Normally when I eat while I'm not watching my diet, I'd:

-skip breakfast
-get super hungry at lunch and have a big lunch
-not eat again until dinner (which for me could be around 9-10pm because of work)
-eat a shitload at dinner
-stay up late and have bullshit before bed.

I would only eat maybe 3 times a day.

Now that I'm cutting, I'm having lots of super small meals throughout the day in order to keep me from getting hungry and eating a lot at meals. Need to keep myself satisfied.

It's weird because I actually feel like I'm eating MORE than when I did before because I'm almost constantly full throughout the day.

This cutting shit is such a mindfuck man
KuGsj.gif

blackflag

I actually feel "fuller" for most of the day. Normally when I eat while I'm not watching my diet, I'd:

-skip breakfast
-get super hungry at lunch and have a big lunch
-not eat again until dinner (which for me could be around 9-10pm because of work)
-eat a shitload at dinner
-stay up late and have bullshit before bed.

I would only eat maybe 3 times a day.

Now that I'm cutting, I'm having lots of super small meals throughout the day in order to keep me from getting hungry and eating a lot at meals. Need to keep myself satisfied.

It's weird because I actually feel like I'm eating MORE than when I did before because I'm almost constantly full throughout the day.

This cutting shit is such a mindfuck man
KuGsj.gif

I always feel fuller when I cut because I end up eating a ton more meat even though I keep protein about the same. I don't even really like meat anymore, I'm so sick of it. I wanted to barf after eating so much of it yesterday. Rather just drink more shakes but I try to limit that to one 2 serving shake per day.

Cagey

Banned

I actually feel "fuller" for most of the day.

I'm on day four, and I think I enjoy the act of eating food too much to notice feeling 'fuller' physically.

My mind is in perpetual "countdown to next scheduled time to consume food" mode. Protein bar at 4pm, I tore that shit open and inhaled it.

Caramello

You are just squatting 100lb. Reducing squatting to just Mondays and Fridays is advanced novice, and with all due respect, you aren't there yet. Squats are supposed to be hard. The program is supposed to be hard.

It's probably a form issue+you need more food. What's your age / weight / height?

And we need a form check.

I'll see if I can get some video on Friday

Stats;

Weight: 155lbs
Height: 5'10"
Body fat: Around the 20% mark

PBY

Banned
Ain't that the truth.

It is amazing to see how much better I feel when eating lower carb. No more bloat. yaaaay.

Did this for a while- totally agree. Back on carbs though now, and I'm eating an amount that would shock me a few months ago- but I find that if I eat em right after I lift I don't experience the bloat.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
So much for starting strength. I think I'll try for it a bit more, see if I can get it right. If not, I'll have to research alternative forms.

It seems likely that the issue isn't just form (though it will play a part), it's that as a novice you probably won't have the strength and intra-muscular co-ordination to really make use of a technique like that.

Just do a standard press like the one from 2nd edition, stable core, moveback just enough to let the bar clear the face, then get your head and torso under the bar. and for god's sake don't strain your neck or else you pinch a nerve and have to take a week off like I did last month :p

This is good advice.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
3rd week into SS, worked OHP and power cleans into my routine.

OHP is pretty hard. The bar is making me look like a fool.

Power Cleans are real fun, though.

Linkhero1

What are some of the best and easiest core workouts to do without any equipment? I go to the gym on a regular basis, but never workout my core. I want to start doing so at home but I lack motivation and some of the ones I've tried (from the P90x videos) tire me out quickly. Any help would be much appreciated.

Did this for a while- totally agree. Back on carbs though now, and I'm eating an amount that would shock me a few months ago- but I find that if I eat em right after I lift I don't experience the bloat.

probably replenishing glycogen stores.

Yeah, I would love to go buck after the gym but I lift during lunch so my choices in carbs are rather limited to what is easy and good to take with me from home.

Mully

What are some of the best and easiest core workouts to do without any equipment? I go to the gym on a regular basis, but never workout my core. I want to start doing so at home but I lack motivation and some of the ones I've tried (from the P90x videos) tire me out quickly. Any help would be much appreciated.

Squats, Deadlifts, OHP, Leg Raises, Hanging Leg Raises, Decline Situps, Weighted Planks, etc.

Linkhero1

Squats, Deadlifts, OHP, Leg Raises, Hanging Leg Raises, Decline Situps, Weighted Planks, etc.

Thanks. Do you have any links to sites that show how to preform some of these. I've never been too knowledgeable regarding this stuff. :)

If not, I'll look some of it up once I get home from work.

Doodis

My back is in serious pain. If I'm gonna take a couple weeks off, should I stop taking creatine? Or should I just continue taking my daily dose?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom