• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT4| Squat Booty, Summer Cuts, and Super Swoletrophy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Imm0rt4l

I'm a fan of skull crushers superset into close grip bench.

I also really like weighted dips, which is more chest or triceps workout depending on the placement of your hands.

ToxicAdam

Don't forget to stretch out before workouts.

tumblr_mj5nvg0JiR1rjcfxro1_250.gif

_Isaac

Speaking of the harlem shake. One thing I've noticed when I'm trying to do the press, is that my abs are pretty crappy. I'm trying to do Rippetoe's Press 2.0 with the whole pressing up with the hip motion. As I thrust my hips forward preparing for the press, I start shaking like a madman. Like my torso isn't strong enough to stay tight in that position. It must be a hilarious sight. Thank God, I go in the mornings, so it's less likely someone will take a video of me and post it on the internet.

Noema

So I struggled today on my squats again.. Went up 2.5kgs from Monday and my form started to get a bit iffy in my last set.. My last two reps were a little bit above parallel..

I had a 3 minute rest between sets so I don't think that's an issue.. I felt fantastic on Monday and today I just didn't have the same strength and I think it might be my job.. I work 8 hours on Tuesday and Thursday (as well as working Saturday) as a duty manager at a supermarket as I'm a uni student and it's fairly labour intensive..

It's frustrating but what else can I do? I'm eating 3,500 cals a day now and I plan to stick to that as a baseline..

I'll just keep at it.. Not sure if I should try putting on another 2.5kgs on Friday though..

3 minutes rest might not be enough. How much are you squatting? Might be a form issue.

Caramello

3 minutes rest might not be enough. How much are you squatting? Might be a form issue.

I'm only squating 100lbs.. In terms of form deterioration, my right knee tends to come in a little bit as a first sign when I'm coming up from the squat. I have the bar placed correctly, my stance is slightly wider than shoulder width and my knees track my feet at probably something like 30 degrees, I'm using hip drive to come up and my body is on a decent incline (not straight like a front squat) so I'm not sure what I could try changing..

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
Speaking of the harlem shake. One thing I've noticed when I'm trying to do the press, is that my abs are pretty crappy. I'm trying to do Rippetoe's Press 2.0 with the whole pressing up with the hip motion. As I thrust my hips forward preparing for the press, I start shaking like a madman. Like my torso isn't strong enough to stay tight in that position. It must be a hilarious sight. Thank God, I go in the mornings, so it's less likely someone will take a video of me and post it on the internet.

Be aware that a number of trainers and generally strong people think the the hip-drive sort of press Rip teaches isn't particularly appropriate for novices. If your core isn't stable throughout the motion it probably isn't helping you that much.

Noema

I'm only squating 100lbs.. In terms of form deterioration, my right knee tends to come in a little bit as a first sign when I'm coming up from the squat. I have the bar placed correctly, my stance is slightly wider than shoulder width and my knees track my feet at probably something like 30 degrees, I'm using hip drive to come up and my body is on a decent incline (not straight like a front squat) so I'm not sure what I could try changing..

Are you doing low bar or high bar? The concept of hip drive doesn't really apply to the high bar squat in the same way.

Also, you should absolutely go to proper depth on every rep. If you are failing to do so with 100lb, the problem will just get harder and harder to fix as the weights get heavier.

Man reading some of y'alls numers and I WISH I was up there. I'll get there eventually, I'm definitely in no rush. The personal trainers I met up(got 2 free sessions for signing up at Powerhouse) told me it'll take a year maybe a year and a half to gain the 15-20lbs of muscle that I want. I was floored. I didn't think it would/could take that long to gain that much muscle. I'm only 142 lbs right now(I'm also 5'5). It only serves my purpose to gain that 15lbs before the year's end.

Hey guys,

I recently moved to LA from Florida and really want to start working out, however I popped my knee cap before I moved. It's walkable now but it's pretty unstable. I can't really run or do cardio yet.

Are there any quad exercises I could do to strengthen it? I'm really afraid of doing any cardio or high impact stuff because it is so weak (it's my fourth time popping it, although its been about 4 years since the last time)

So I finally reached my own body weight for squat (65Kg), which isn't much compared to some of the numbers in this thread, but I was pretty happy with the progress. One month from when I started, I could only do the bar.

I felt adventurous after doing 65Kg comfortably, so I tried 70Kg. Not the best idea, got to the last rep of the set and just couldn't do it. Luckily I had a spotter.

despire

Man reading some of y'alls numers and I WISH I was up there. I'll get there eventually, I'm definitely in no rush. The personal trainers I met up(got 2 free sessions for signing up at Powerhouse) told me it'll take a year maybe a year and a half to gain the 15-20lbs of muscle that I want. I was floored. I didn't think it would/could take that long to gain that much muscle. I'm only 142 lbs right now(I'm also 5'5). It only serves my purpose to gain that 15lbs before the year's end.

It might take even longer. But it doesn't matter since you will get there eventually if you work hard.

So on Monday I went to progress to 90kg/200 pounds on squats and found it tough, struggling through the first set of five and didn't even try another 2 sets. This was the moment I realised I'm not going to be able to keep progressing quickly unless I can recruit more hip drive and actually change to low bar squats.

I always wanted to do low bar but my flexiblity and tightness must be crazy bad because even just with the bar I was never able to hold the position of low bar and elbows up. Was painful and not secure. Tried shoulder dislocations but I didn't have my hands wide enough and couldn't do any so just kept doing what I was doing and going up on high bar squats.

Then I was able to do some dislocations on Monday and was able to hold the bar lower pretty securely. Went to the gym again today and did 60kg/130 pounds low bar squats well, got nice depth hitting the sides of the squat rack lol. Was a bit of discomfort when racking the bar and for a second afterwards but nothing bad. Will take it easy and increase the weight 10kg/20 pounds each time so I can adjust to holding that weight up.

Hopefully it all goes to plan and I keep progressing.

Caramello

Are you doing low bar or high bar? The concept of hip drive doesn't really apply to the high bar squat in the same way.

Also, you should absolutely go to proper depth on every rep. If you are failing to do so with 100lb, the problem will just get harder and harder to fix as the weights get heavier.

Low bar as per Rippetoes instructional videos

Edit: I'll see how I go on Friday and think about squating Mondays and Fridays if it goes poorly..

asdad123

Squat day today. Finally got my belt so I'm gonna try 405. Last time I did that was about 4 hears ago when I played football lol.

Did 385 twice last week so 405 should be doable.

grumble

Hey guys,

I recently moved to LA from Florida and really want to start working out, however I popped my knee cap before I moved. It's walkable now but it's pretty unstable. I can't really run or do cardio yet.

Are there any quad exercises I could do to strengthen it? I'm really afraid of doing any cardio or high impact stuff because it is so weak (it's my fourth time popping it, although its been about 4 years since the last time)

I'm not a physical therapist but can you squat safely? If you can do so without popping your kneecap out, do that. The muscles supporting your knee will get very strong very quickly. I have rock stable knees from squatting.

grumble

So I finally reached my own body weight for squat (65Kg), which isn't much compared to some of the numbers in this thread, but I was pretty happy with the progress. One month from when I started, I could only do the bar.

I felt adventurous after doing 65Kg comfortably, so I tried 70Kg. Not the best idea, got to the last rep of the set and just couldn't do it. Luckily I had a spotter.

Congrats! You're not competing against anyone in this thread, you're competing against yourself yesterday and you're winning. In a few months you won't even believe how far you'll have come. Keep us posted!

SeanR1221

Congrats and you should read the lift big eat big article I posted on the last page about building confidence :)

http://www.liftbigeatbig.com/2013/03/step-up-your-confidence-game.html?m=1

There you go.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
Weirdly, one the biggest gym "wtf" things I see is people going up to the squat rack... and backing OUT OF THE SAFETY BUMPERS FOR NO REASON.

A- why squat in the middle of the gym
B- why squat without safety bumpers?

I had to do this last week because I'm too short (5'9") to get full depth on my squats in the regular squat rack.

Additionally, the last time I tried to adjust my form (to high bar), just so the bar wouldn't hit the safety bumpers on every rep, I pulled something in my back. Doing squats without the bumpers is a little scary, though.

Petrie

Banned
Have an interview of sorts today for a job that would have me in an office from 8-5 5 days a week, but also have me 2 minutes from my gym which is awesome, and give me a consistent schedule to plan my training and diet around. Intimidated as fuck since I've never had what I call a "real" job before, so wish me luck guys!

I know this isn't FitGAF related, but you guys are my favorite people on the internet, and telling Facebook doesn't fill the void!

Same here. I always think I'm doing something wrong because I just don't feel it in the movement.

I never "feel" it as much with that movement either, however they definitely helped me see growth in my triceps that wasn't there before. Like some other posters, I love to superset them with CGBP, then you always feel it.

Today is chest day, I think I'll actually swap them into my BB routine today, or just add them on. It's been a bit.

ezrarh

Have an interview of sorts today for a job that would have me in an office from 8-5 5 days a week, but also have me 2 minutes from my gym which is awesome, and give me a consistent schedule to plan my training and diet around. Intimidated as fuck since I've never had what I call a "real" job before, so wish me luck guys!

I know this isn't FitGAF related, but you guys are my favorite people on the internet, and telling Facebook doesn't fill the void!

I never "feel" it as much with that movement either, however they definitely helped me see growth in my triceps that wasn't there before. Like some other posters, I love to superset them with CGBP, then you always feel it.

Today is chest day, I think I'll actually swap them into my BB routine today, or just add them on. It's been a bit.

Good luck man! My lifting improved once I got a consistent schedule as well coming out of school. That is after spending several months adjusting to the 8-5 schedule and forcing myself to lift. Also, being able to afford good food helps too.

Mully

That's great man. I'm glad everything is coming together for you. What job are you gunning for?

Petrie

Banned
Good luck man! My lifting improved once I got a consistent schedule as well coming out of school. That is after spending several months adjusting to the 8-5 schedule and forcing myself to lift. Also, being able to afford good food helps too.

Yeah money has never been the issue, you'd be shocked how much money a good waiter and bartender can make.

But the inconsistent schedule and hours is definitely tough, especially for meals, not as bad for training. Randomly having a shift be busier and running around for 12 hours without a chance to eat simply happens. It'll be nice to leave that behind.

Thanks for the well-wishes!

That's great man. I'm glad everything is coming together for you. What job are you gunning for?

It's inside sales at a construction wholesaler. There's a bit of nepotism in play as the business is run by my mother's husband (I suppose technically my stepdad, but when she remarries when I'm 26 and already HAD a stepdad, it gets confusing!) but I've tried pretty hard to make it clear I want to earn it on my own, and know my customer service skills are top notch thanks to relying on tips for over a decade!

Show them who's boss by deadlifting a desk.

This does seem like the best way. Why hadn't I thought of this?

velociraptor

That's awesome. Good luck. I haven't had a single job interview since graduating a few months ago, despite applying to tons of different places where I clearly exceed the entry requirements. And here I thought I graduated with a fairly good science degree from a strong UK university. Bah. D:

Petrie

Banned
That's awesome. Good luck. I haven't had a single job interview since graduating a few months ago, despite applying to tons of different places where I clearly exceed the entry requirements. And here I thought I graduated with a fairly good science degree from a strong UK university. Bah. D:

My girlfriend is having the same issue, and she graduated with degrees in both aerospace and mechanical engineering along with a math minor. The market just sucks, like I mentioned, I absolutely had an advantage in getting the opportunity. Unfair? Yep. Will I take it? Sure will!

CrankyJay

Banned

Good luck.

It's nice to have a set schedule and hopefully a fridge to keep your food.

My girlfriend is having the same issue, and she graduated with degrees in both aerospace and mechanical engineering along with a math minor. The market just sucks, like I mentioned, I absolutely had an advantage in getting the opportunity. Unfair? Yep. Will I take it? Sure will!

She's a triple threat...she should have no problem finding a job later this year or this summer.

CrankyJay

Banned
Back is slightly better today after heating pad, hot shower, and sleeping in a different (softer) bed...I'm still having problems picking up and putting down my 4 month old in her crib.

I had planned workouts for Thursday (chest/tris) and Friday (DLs/back) ... and I just came down with a cold, so I'm going to move Thursday's workout to Friday and cancel Friday's altogether.

So tired...

Petrie

Banned
She's a triple threat...she should have no problem finding a job later this year or this summer.

A few people have told me that. What's the deal with her field and only hiring during certain seasons? She doesn't seem to know WHY, but said the same thing.

Good luck.

It's nice to have a set schedule and hopefully a fridge to keep your food.

Thanks! Yeah, I'll seen the offices today, so I'll know what I'm getting into.

CrankyJay

Banned
A few people have told me that. What's the deal with her field and only hiring during certain seasons? She doesn't seem to know WHY, but said the same thing.

If I had to guess, it's probably because a lot of companies don't hire until after March/April intentionally for tax purposes, so that may affect scheduling and budgeting for new positions.

Hm. Maybe I'll add them in anyways in place of tricep pulldowns. I seem to be getting close to stalling on those and plus I'm just bored of them.

Petrie

Banned
If I had to guess, it's probably because a lot of companies don't hire until after March/April intentionally for tax purposes, so that may affect scheduling and budgeting for new positions.

That makes sense, and them keeping that as the same time that graduates will be hitting the workforce typically would make sense too. Most don't finish in December like she did.

Thanks! Made her feel a bit better!

Hm. Maybe I'll add them in anyways in place of tricep pulldowns. I seem to be getting close to stalling on those and plus I'm just bored of them.

They are boring!

I use the rope attachment to change it up, but that doesn't really alleviate the boredom.

They are boring!

I use the rope attachment to change it up, but that doesn't really alleviate the boredom.
I find the rope attachment even more boring for some reason Haha I switched from rope pulldowns to tricep pulldowns. But I really want to just switch it to a free weight exercise for my triceps.

Orrichio

Question!

Height: 5'10'

Weight: 140lbs

Goal:( (weight?) No issue with weight, but rather abdominal muscle tone.

Current Training Schedule: the beginner, whole body work

Current Training Equipment Available: Gym

Comments: I see for the Wednesday portion of the whole-body workout it just says
"Abdominal work". What would be some examples to do? Planks? or obvious sit-ups?

I looked in the OP and I didn't find what I was looking for so I thought I would ask!

- I want abdominal definition, what exercises are good for this? (planks, sit ups?)

- the ''zone'' diet, is this a good starting guide to increase the definition of my muscles or is this just a general guideline to eat healthily? I eat pretty well as it is, I just want to get more strength and definition.

- *I cannot have milk, I am allergic*

- On my off days can/should I continue cardio exercise? riding bicycles, elliptical, spinning machine?

Thanks in advanced, guys!

Petrie

Banned
Question!

Height: 5'10'

Weight: 140lbs

Goal:( (weight?) No issue with weight, but rather abdominal muscle tone.

Current Training Schedule: the beginner, whole body work

Current Training Equipment Available: Gym

Comments: I see for the Wednesday portion of the whole-body workout it just says
"Abdominal work". What would be some examples to do? Planks? or obvious sit-ups?

I looked in the OP and I didn't find what I was looking for so I thought I would ask!

- I want abdominal definition, what exercises are good for this? (planks, sit ups?)

- the ''zone'' diet, is this a good starting guide to increase the definition of my muscles or is this just a general guideline to eat healthily? I eat pretty well as it is, I just want to get more strength and definition.

- *I cannot have milk, I am allergic*

- On my off days can/should I continue cardio exercise? riding bicycles, elliptical, spinning machine?

Thanks in advanced, guys!

the best way to get stronger, better defined abdominal muscles is full body compound lifts, combined with a low bodyfat %. I know you say you have no weight issue, however abs come from low bodyfat, so either you are incredibly scrawny and need the beginner routine anyways, or you have too much bodyfat. The adage "abs are made in the kitchen" remains true.

Outside of the big lifts, planks are great, as are things like hanging leg raises. Cardio would be preferable on days your already lifting to do afterwards, but some cardio on off days won't kill you.

At 5'10 and 140lbs, you must have almost no muscle on your body. I'd focus on getting something to work with and worrying about "abs" later.

Orrichio

the best way to get stronger, better defined abdominal muscles is full body compound lifts, combined with a low bodyfat %. I know you say you have no weight issue, however abs come from low bodyfat, so either you are incredibly scrawny and need the beginner routine anyways, or you have too much bodyfat. The adage "abs are made in the kitchen" remains true.

Outside of the big lifts, planks are great, as are things like hanging leg raises. Cardio would be preferable on days your already lifting to do afterwards, but some cardio on off days won't kill you.

At 5'10 and 140lbs, you must have almost no muscle on your body. I'd focus on getting something to work with and worrying about "abs" later.

Hey, thanks for the quick response!

You're advice makes sense, I am pretty 'scrawny' in some ways. I prefer to say it's like a blank canvas ready to be sculpted. hahah!

Thank you for that advice, I will do my best to follow it.

Petrie

Banned
Hey, thanks for the quick response!

You're advice makes sense, I am pretty 'scrawny' in some ways. I prefer to say it's like a blank canvas ready to be sculpted. hahah!

Thank you for that advice, I will do my best to follow it.

Absolutely. We've all been there. You'll get to a desirable physique much easier though if you focus on the whole package for awhile, and not worry about abs for the time being. What you need to do is pick up a copy of Starting Strength (yep, we will all continue to recommend this great book), the ebook is only $10. Read it and learn the lifts properly, and then follow a beginner routine, and eat, eat , eat. At your height and weight, you need to eat substantially so you can pack on some muscle. Part of the allure of abs is having the pysique to go along with them. You don't want to be the guy who has "abs" because he looks like a skeleton, and without muscle, that's what you'd have to do to get them.

funny-skinny-guy-abs.jpg

Orrichio

Absolutely. We've all been there. You'll get to a desirable physique much easier though if you focus on the whole package for awhile, and not worry about abs for the time being. What you need to do is pick up a copy of Starting Strength (yep, we will all continue to recommend this great book), the ebook is only $10. Read it and learn the lifts properly, and then follow a beginner routine, and eat, eat , eat. At your height and weight, you need to eat substantially so you can pack on some muscle. Part of the allure of abs is having the pysique to go along with them. You don't want to be the guy who has "abs" because he looks like a skeleton, and without muscle, that's what you'd have to do to get them.

Hahahah, I actually just got that book yesterday!

Yeah I don't want skeleton abs, haha. I should have been more clear that I want the whole package + abs! I need to calculate my caloric intake now. For weights, should I lift as much as I'm comfortable with doing bench presses and other things? Or is there some sort of calculated way (Or just say read the book it'll tell me everything )

Petrie

Banned
Hahahah, I actually just got that book yesterday!

Yeah I don't want skeleton abs, haha. I should have been more clear that I want the whole package + abs! I need to calculate my caloric intake now. For weights, should I lift as much as I'm comfortable with doing bench presses and other things? Or is there some sort of calculated way (Or just say read the book it'll tell me everything )

Start low, with just the bar, and use the time to practice the form. You'll get to higher weights soon enough, but proper form is key.

Just know that you'll need to eat plenty, and will likely gain fat along the way. That's part of the game. Abs need to be a long-term goal, not one for the short-term.

Also, take a few picture of yourself shirtless so you can look back in awe a year from now. It's awesome.

Orrichio

Start low, with just the bar, and use the time to practice the form. You'll get to higher weights soon enough, but proper form is key.

Just know that you'll need to eat plenty, and will likely gain fat along the way. That's part of the game. Abs need to be a long-term goal, not one for the short-term.

Also, take a few picture of yourself shirtless so you can look back in awe a year from now. It's awesome.

I actually just did that today! haha, this is good advice. Thank you for this, I appreciate it!

Noema

Low bar as per Rippetoes instructional videos

Edit: I'll see how I go on Friday and think about squating Mondays and Fridays if it goes poorly..

You are just squatting 100lb. Reducing squatting to just Mondays and Fridays is advanced novice, and with all due respect, you aren't there yet. Squats are supposed to be hard. The program is supposed to be hard.

It's probably a form issue+you need more food. What's your age / weight / height?

And we need a form check.

_Isaac

Be aware that a number of trainers and generally strong people think the the hip-drive sort of press Rip teaches isn't particularly appropriate for novices. If your core isn't stable throughout the motion it probably isn't helping you that much.

So much for starting strength. I think I'll try for it a bit more, see if I can get it right. If not, I'll have to research alternative forms.

So much for starting strength. I think I'll try for it a bit more, see if I can get it right. If not, I'll have to research alternative forms.

Just do a standard press like the one from 2nd edition, stable core, moveback just enough to let the bar clear the face, then get your head and torso under the bar. and for god's sake don't strain your neck or else you pinch a nerve and have to take a week off like I did last month :p

entremet

Thinking of starting to do Insanity today, does anybody have good things to say about it?

Great for fat loss. Be careful because unless you make it a lifestyle, once you're done with the program, it will be easy to gain some weight back.

It's one of the reasons I prefer the slow approach to building muscle over rapid fat loss programs. But if you want to get beach ready, it is a great program.

MjFrancis

Eating meat slop for post-workout today. Spiced ground beef and brown rice and probably other minor fixings.

I'm not going to take a picture though, because it looks how it sounds. That's why it's called meat slop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom