• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT4| Squat Booty, Summer Cuts, and Super Swoletrophy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noema

Problem is that all this is taking place on Friday, and I just found out today. I might not have time to do anything. At the very least I'm thinking of writing a letter to a couple of people higher up to at least try and save the power rack.

At any rate, I'm fucking taking the 2.5lb plates with me on Thursday. Not because I want to steal them, but because I want to make sure they don't get lost in the shuffle.

Mully

Start a petition, talk to the dean, provide research, mention the poor performance of the university sports teams using ineffective equipment, mention that the gym can save a lot of money if it keeps more free weights around, talk to the head of the athletic department, mention that modernizing with free weights costs a fraction of machines and can look very shiny too, even on pamphlets for universities.

If you're willing to push this and the equipment hasn't been actually signed for yet, you still could stop the deal. Universitites respond to saving money, looking good for new students, the feeling of current students and the performance of their teams.

You also wouldn't just be doing this for yourself but for all other users of the facilities. Some machiens are there to stay and frankly should be, but it can get ridiculous.

Most if not all colleges have two gyms. One for students, one for athletes. We always got the better stuff and only have a few machines in the sports gym.

Mully

Still if you care, do something about it.

Absolutely. It's fucked up that many gyms are going the Planet Fitness route. I guess because it's cheaper and there's less of an insurance liability with machines. I just hope that science prevails at some point. It's depressing that doing Olympic lifts is now considered dangerous to many "experts," including doctors. My cardiologist was warning me to never do any of the four main lifts. He said all I need to do is walk for 90 minutes a day and I'd be in the best shape of my life.

Srsly

Banned
Did a 30 rep set of squats @ 200 lbs today and my heart rate was still 160 bpm 5 minutes later when I finally decided to get off the floor. hahahaha

Petrie

Banned
Absolutely. It's fucked up that many gyms are going the Planet Fitness route. I guess because it's cheaper and there's less of an insurance liability with machines. I just hope that science prevails at some point. It's depressing that doing Olympic lifts is now considered dangerous to many "experts," including doctors. My cardiologist was warning me to never do any of the four main lifts. He said all I need to do is walk for 90 minutes a day and I'd be in the best shape of my life.

All that may be true, but there is also simply the fact that a lot, dare I say most people, want machines, not free weights. That's a big part of the popularity of places like Planet Fitness, because it's easier, and for many people simply having a gym membership and going occasionally is all they need to feel "accomplished". Speak up and hopefully you can do something about it.

theytookourjobz

Couple dudes at my gym have a new man test. Pick a weight, do 1 squat, take a step, 2 squats, take a step... All the way to 10. One guy who squats around 450, looked like he was going to die on the set of 9 with 155.

Petrie

Banned
Couple dudes at my gym have a new man test. Pick a weight, do 1 squat, take a step, 2 squats, take a step... All the way to 10. One guy who squats around 450, looked like he was going to die on the set of 9 with 155.

Sounds like your gym is filled with even bigger idiots than most.

SeanR1221

Lets do this, 205 bench today before my reset.

It's crazy thinking how long I was stuck at 175 and couldn't move past it.

Should be benching 225 in 13 weeks.

Srsly

Banned
Sounds like a good way to get yourself killed.

Yeah, probably. It's an easy way to tear an ACL, or worse, and if that happens, you won't be able to get out of the way of the bar. I can just imagine someone's knee buckling as they step forward on one of the last few sets. I suppose it would be fine if you did it in a power rack without the walking and using pauses instead.

Petrie

Banned
Yeah, probably. It's an easy way to tear an ACL, or worse, and if that happens, you won't be able to get out of the way of the bar. I can just imagine someone's knee buckling as they step forward on one of the last few sets. I suppose it would be fine if you did it in a power rack without the walking and using pauses instead.

Yep, it's the walking for no real purpose that makes the whole thing sound absurd.

PBY

Banned
Yep, it's the walking for no real purpose that makes the whole thing sound absurd.

Weirdly, one the biggest gym "wtf" things I see is people going up to the squat rack... and backing OUT OF THE SAFETY BUMPERS FOR NO REASON.

A- why squat in the middle of the gym
B- why squat without safety bumpers?

Hey guys, long time lurker here with an odd question. I was warming up with the prowler and suddenly got super dizzy and almost blacked out. Anyone have any idea why/how to get past that? It's not my first time using it and I'm just stumped.

Mully

Hey guys, long time lurker here with an odd question. I was warming up with the prowler and suddenly got super dizzy and almost blacked out. Anyone have any idea why/how to get past that? It's not my first time using it and I'm just stumped.

Were you breathing while using the prowler?

rando14

I think a lot of people don't take into account their breathing when they're doing heavy movements, as their attention is elsewhere (on the weight). I'm guilty of this too, especially when squatting I'll feel dizzy all of the sudden. Now I try to put more effort into breathing properly, as it's definitely important and certainly worth paying attention to.

Booties

Banned
I think a lot of people don't take into account their breathing when they're doing heavy movements, as their attention is elsewhere (on the weight). I'm guilty of this too, especially when squatting I'll feel dizzy all of the sudden. Now I try to put more effort into breathing properly, as it's definitely important and certainly worth paying attention to.

Nothing teaches you how to breath under stress better than bikram yoga. Do it.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
Were you breathing while using the prowler?

What if she was using it underwater? A prowler on resistance bands at the bottom of a pool really is the ultimate combination for anaerobic conditioning and explosive pushing power.

Black1ce

Breathing is definitely a big part of exercise. It can be the difference between stopping at rep 8 of 10 or going all way to 10 out of 10.

theytookourjobz

Fill your gut up like a balloon. If you stay tight when you squat, deadlift, and press you'll have strong abs without doing a single sit-up.

My problem with breathing always comes after my set. I have to force myself to keep breathing deep otherwise I get lightheaded after I finish my set. I find myself holding my breath sometimes after getting rid of the weight from a heavy set.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
This run of strength gains I'm having is blowing my mind! Today I finished my squats at 335x5 and it was a piece of cake! I'm dumbfounded right now. Next week I will finish at 355x5 and I'm fairly certain I will get it. Unbelievable!

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick

That should seriously be called the 'Dudebro Crucible'. Are you man enough?!

SeanR1221

This run of strength gains I'm having is blowing my mind! Today I finished my squats at 335x5 and it was a piece of cake! I'm dumbfounded right now. Next week I will finish at 355x5 and I'm fairly certain I will get it. Unbelievable!

Awesome. What have you changed?

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
What is more effective as a isolated tricep exercise: pushdowns or skull crushers?

skull crushers by a big margin IMO, or "lying triceps extensions" rather.

I'm gonna go try to do some with dumbbells and see if I don't kill myself.

IceCold

skull crushers by a big margin IMO, or "lying triceps extensions" rather.

I'm gonna go try to do some with dumbbells and see if I don't kill myself.

I've been doing it (like how rippetoe shows) but I haven't been feeling it too much. I find the exercise a bit awkward.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Overhead tricep extension are pretty boss too. Use an easy curl bar or dumbbell. The stretch you get from it feels like it scratches some itch deep in the muscle.

Caramello

So I struggled today on my squats again.. Went up 2.5kgs from Monday and my form started to get a bit iffy in my last set.. My last two reps were a little bit above parallel..

I had a 3 minute rest between sets so I don't think that's an issue.. I felt fantastic on Monday and today I just didn't have the same strength and I think it might be my job.. I work 8 hours on Tuesday and Thursday (as well as working Saturday) as a duty manager at a supermarket as I'm a uni student and it's fairly labour intensive..

It's frustrating but what else can I do? I'm eating 3,500 cals a day now and I plan to stick to that as a baseline..

I'll just keep at it.. Not sure if I should try putting on another 2.5kgs on Friday though..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom