• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Version of Ys I Coming to Switch Next Week — Features English Support

GFxZnBlasAAI_yE

D4 Enterprise has announced that the Nihon Falcom action RPG EGGCONSOLE Ys I PC-8801mkIISR will be released digitally on Nintendo Switch on February 15, 2024. This is a port of the first version of the title, which was launched in 1987. It will also feature Japanese and English language support.

Ys I has seen numerous ports over the years, including the X1, PC-98, FM-7, MSX2, Famicom, Master System, MS-DOS, Apple IIGS, and X68000. Further, the entry has been remade for PSP alongside Ys II, which has since been ported to PC. Ys I is, at least in the current chronology, the first adventure of franchise protagonist Adol Christin, in which he finds himself collecting the six books of Ys throughout the land of Esteria, which chronicles the history of the titular land it’s named for.
The first Ys game and many of the other earlier ones feature Bump combat, which quite literally involves bumping into enemies to damage them. Of course, being leveled adequately, having strong enough equipment, and understanding enemy telegraphs are necessary to overcome battles.

You can view the game’s Switch eShop page for additional details. An English store page will likely surface by launch, given the following release the company previously did.

Celine

It may feature english support but I don't think the game will be in english if it wasn't in the original release.
Nonetheless the EGGCONSOLE initiative remains very cool cause the japanese computer gaming scene revival initiatives were always neglected for western audience.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Pc88 is cool to read about .. idk about playing though lol I imagine these will stay in Japan.

manzo

There really is no reason to play the PC8801 version of Ys1 when you have the PC Engine versions and almost any other version which are bounds better in QoL.

I wish there would be a proper re-release of the X68000 version of Ys 1. It was a crazy oddity but holds two extra songs that are really, really fucking good. I haven't heard these in any other version of Ys 1:

Zeptik Village:

Mountains:

Last edited:
Top Bottom