• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First look at PS5 UI

GreatnessRD

Not bad. But the message integration is still retarded, in my opinion. Happy to see the response times have improved greatly over the PS4/Pro.

jaysius

Banned
It’s very clean, I like they’re approach to “news” aka BUY SHIT than MS’ I really hope this makes MS realize that we need to emphasize PLAYER CONTENT not ad related content up front.

I don’t care for the social stuff on the console so I’m not a fan of most of this video.

It looks very snappy, I think the blocks could be bigger, no doubt there will be options for sizes.

yurinka

Great UX and UI.

Love to see they implemented these patents about having a game guide integrated in the console for when you get stuck in a particular place, and machine learning AI driven estimations for specific parts of the games.

The UI seems very slick and clean, with a nice UX experience with the key stuff well placed and accesible with a few clicks and moving smoothly from a place to another.

It's also cool to see that you can follow certain games and publishers, so you get the news/spam from them (plus PlayStation/whoever Sony wants to highlight) and not from other stuff you aren't interested about.

Last edited:

onesvenus

It looks nice.
Those picture in picture features look great and having the store integrated is a big thumbs up for me.

I'm a little worried about the activities thing. Don't know how those will be sorted but for example, just before the end, where he wants to share the screenshot he took, which was the last thing he did, he had to scroll to the very end of that list.

Overall, a great improvement! I really dislike some things in the PS4 UI

Hmmm

Some of it I like such as the ease to get hints for thickos like me for puzzles, others parts I don’t such as the game layouts.

It’s nice and fast too which is also a win. Surprised they didn’t show trophies or profiles.

Overall i like it but don’t love it.

sainraja

I really like it. I like that they are integrating things together at the OS level and I love the card activities feature. I feel like some people here are not easy to impress but it is just the console's UI. Sometimes you have to give it go for a week or so to really understand why or if it is working.

Gonna do random impressions as I go.

... I was expecting to flip from game into dashbaord, and dashbaord would be reactive with in-progress-game-focused tasks/showing progression data. Sort of like early-ish XB1 dashboard tiles showing your achievement bollocks...

i certainly wasn't expecing it to take the form of 'cards' which float over the game itself. I really don't think I will like this, maybe if I can kill off individual cards based on what I do/don't want to see, but overall that's a bad first impression. It leaves an immediate question too, with this appearing to be the press PS button action, rather than the hold-press Quick Action Menu's sidebar like on PS4.... How the heck does one jump out of a game back to the main PS5 dashboard?

The card activity feed displays if you put the PS5 into rest mode and later return. He shows the other view that we will see when the console returns normally.

Last edited:

BravoZero

Neo Member
The cards are only in the control center (aka the new quick menu from the ps button) and not on the home screen which they show towards the end.

Honestly seems like some of you don't watch or fully understand before posting.
Yeah I think people are getting confused between the inGame UI and the Home screen UI.
I think both look incredible.

I like it. Looks unfinished though. Lol’d at ‘oh no, we’re almost out of time so I can’t show you any more!’ :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Wanted to see more of the store. I think activities will be a short lived feature, and I’ve literally never used the game hints stuff on the Xbox through true achievements.

Apart from that, looks a good cosmetic improvement on the XMB so far.

Sackboy though, looks absolutely shit...

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Its basically a lot like the SWITCH on the card menu .. i like it.

I also love the condensing of the main menu. good stuff all around.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
They were quite clear in the video that it'll only be certain games. To me, that screams "we will make first party studios do it to sell PS+ to lazy people, and other devs might play along".

Basically. But like someone said, if they can allow gamers to CREATE game hints and share them out, then that will be even better!

sainraja

Picture and picture mode seems revolutionary. I love how PS STORE is now integrated into the main dash OS instead of launching as a separate app.

Everything I've seen seems unified. No more loading a separate section for apps, my library, or the store.

Fucking can't wait. Just hope they change the prices of some of the games. Destruction all starts should be like $30 tops or free on PS+.

I guess I will have to wait and see how it all actually works together but I think there will be some separate views that are launched from the integrated store area but yeah glad it's not a separate app.

I had suggested an idea where in game actions such as 'New Game, Load Game, Multiplayer, etc" could also be integrated at the OS level and some of the things they showed also is a little like that (being able to resume into a level in a game.) That is pretty good!

Its basically a lot like the SWITCH on the card menu ..like it.

Or like the PS4's cards! 🙃
Switch is like the PS4 card's or PS4 is like Switch's cards. Sony & Nintendo have the same UI flow - horizontal list of cards.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
I really like it. I like that they are integrating things together at the OS level and I love the card activities feature. I feel like some people here are not easy to impress but it is just the console's UI. Sometimes you have to give it go for a week or so to really understand why or if it is working.

I think everyone likes that feature, I think there is some healthy skepticism as to the level of support 3rd parties will put into it. Which is legitimate. I can't see Ubi putting in time estimates for each tower or camp for example in theri open worlds. But then they might surprise us. So people are just giving thoughts. And the demo is done against a hub world, which is easier to show, than one long linear narrative. For example, it would work well with UC/TLOU chapters but not so much Tomb Raider. The idea's are solid, we just need to see them in the wild now on the games we all play.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Basically. But like someone said, if they can allow gamers to CREATE game hints and share them out, then that will be even better!

Hard disagree, you must never have played Dark Souls. Don't give people tools like that, they won't inherently use them for good.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
What a wonderful job from Sony! Just finished it. Glad they didn't give it to pseudo youtubers and sent a clear video explaining the highlights in a short and effective way!

4ilon3.jpg

Last edited:
I like the look of this at first glance and it's a welcome evolution of the PS3 and PS4 UIs, neither of which I love.

It'll be interesting to see how those in-game activities work for games that aren't nonlinear. It doesn't always make sense to jump around like you would in a Mario-style platformer. Like why would I revisit an earlier chapter in, say, Death Stranding?

The social features aren't for me, but they look well thought out and the PIP feature is pretty cool.

Dibils2k

do we think folders seem feasible with this design? cause it looks like the game you hover over takes up the whole screen, if you have folders that drop down another level i feel it will mess with the design? there doesnt seem to be a theme, so what would the background and that be if you were hovering a folder

not sure either way but hope its still there

maybe you can still set backgrounds and they just replace whatever the selected games background would be

sainraja

I think everyone likes that feature, I think there is some healthy skepticism as to the level of support 3rd parties will put into it. Which is legitimate. I can't see Ubi putting in time estimates for each tower or camp for example in theri open worlds. But then they might surprise us. So people are just giving thoughts. And the demo is done against a hub world, which is easier to show, than one long linear narrative. For example, it would work well with UC/TLOU chapters but not so much Tomb Raider. The idea's are solid, we just need to see them in the wild now on the games we all play.

It comes down to the type of user experience all these companies are willing to provide to players. Unfortunately Sony (+ the other two) cannot force developers to support everything but yeah I hear you. Also, it's fine that some games will support card activities and some don't but I think if it is a good ux feature and players like it, other publishers will also support it in their games.

Last edited:
Yeah I think people are getting confused between the inGame UI and the Home screen UI.
I think both look incredible.

Yeah, I thought it was odd they started with the in-game menu since everyone is most likely expecting to see the home screen first. I felt like I had to reframe my thoughts about it mid-way through.

Bryank75

Banned
214712.gif

No complaints here, looks perfect.

Also, keeping game hints behind the PS+ paywall is laughably petty.
Hints are things you can get easily on youtube... if it was free to play online games or something, I might complain then. But their policies regarding stuff like that is pretty good up to now.

Like a lot of people are playing Genshin Impact online and don't need PS+, same with Fortnite. You can't make everything free either.

ksdixon

so the sidebar menus (share button on PS4, quick menu when hold-press PS button) have been converted into horizontal menus along the bottom. Not the biggest fan of that, but on the create button one where it's got take a screenshot or a video etc, I realized it apes mobile UI, with buttons down the bottom. I'm sure it will be easy to adapt-to, with that in mind. I just hope it's customizable to remove clutter that I'm personally not interested in, like all that trophy progress guff. chucking voice clips into Party Chat quickly seems much easier than typing a paragraph with the controller. Could be a good feature. I'd need to get a better look at the sub-menus and new PStore, as atm I'm not seeing a way to filter your selection. Overall I'd say it looks like an evolution of PS4's dashboard, mixing design elements from Netflix and snagging a few features from different iterations of XB1's various dashboards. I can certainly live with it. All the shortcuts to not leaving game are nice. How much I like it, though, that will come down to how customizable it is.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
How would they use them for bad?

I kinda don't want to spoil the surprise in case you ever go back and play Dark Souls. Believe me, people use these kind of systems for bad, and will continue to if given the opportunity. I would, it's too funny not to.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
do we think folders seem feasible with this design? cause it looks like the game you hover over takes up the whole screen, if you have folders that drop down another level i feel it will mess with the design? there doesnt seem to be a theme, so what would the background and that be if you were hovering a folder

not sure either way but hope its still there

maybe you can still set backgrounds and they just replace whatever the selected games background would be

Nah I agree. I like folders but they don't make sense with the UX they are going for. I just hope i can remove shit like PSNow etc that I'm not going to use.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I kinda don't want to spoil the surprise in case you ever go back and play Dark Souls. Believe me, people use these kind of systems for bad, and will continue to if given the opportunity. I would, it's too funny not to.

Oh, so you're saying people will show spoilers in their "game hints" for areas of the game that people weren't even expecting it?

Iced Arcade

Looks like an updated PS4 UI (which makes sense).

Love the share play feature. I can see using that a bunch.

Last edited:
It's good. Not happy about hints being paywalled though. Sharing is improved.

I can’t imagine the hints being very popular outside of first party titles so I wouldn’t worry too much about it, just like the touchpad and controller speaker was hardly utilized outside of first party titles as well. Assuming these are developer created, and not community created.

Last edited:

AV

Oh, so you're saying people will show spoilers in their "game hints" for areas of the game that people weren't even expecting it?

Sure, but I was more talking about simply misleading people to troll them. Someone writes a hint that says "there's a secret coin in this bush, you need to hit the bush 100 times". 50 people like that hint because it's a good troll, it gets sent to the top, everyone wastes their time hitting the bush. More people like the hint out of spite when they realise they've been had.

There's a similar system in Dark Souls and probably 10% of the hints are useful, 30% are trolls and the rest are just funny messages.

Just leave it to the devs or use websites that aren't gonna mislead you.

xnmhNLw_d.webp

Last edited:
Top Bottom