• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First look at PS5 UI

Mmnow

I like it. It looks clean, it takes away the fuss of moving between mountains of menus. I have questions, but nothing too pressing. I wouldn't use the social features, but people who do will probably use them a lot.

My main complaint if I had one will be that this has obviously been made so developers can push post-launch content and events in as obvious a way as possible. Hey, like Rocket League? Good news, you get Rocket League ads all over your dash EVERY SINGLE TIME YOU LOG ON.

I've exaggerated for effect, but I think that'll be one thing I'll be wary of.

Other than that, really happy with how it looks. They've gone for something different and I think it was probably a success.

In terms of comparison with Xbox, I think we'll need to see how the two actually feel. Also it'll depend on how much you'll actually use those social features.

PlayStation looks like it could be smoother, but I'm not convinced it'll be easier once you have more than three games installed, and we'll have to see how the store works on PS5 beyond those five or six tiles too.

Overall though, I'm really happy with what we've got here. Looking forward to getting stuck in next month.

ksdixon

The new PS App on mobiles is going to gain the ability to voice party chat with PS4's and PS5's. That's neat. Whilst the old PS Vita could do it with PS4, that's a new feature for that app. Also nice is not having to leave the game at all to accept the party chat invite, it's all handled in a popup 'card' releatively quickly with two quick button presses. On PS4 currently you'd see the notification pop up, press the PS button to open a fullscreen accept invite page, then go back to your game. Usually freezing-up or stuttering in the process, getting caught entering/exiting PS UI page or menu page sub-levels. On a purely visual level, I sort-of dislike the notification window moving back to top right in it's PS3 placement, when I've just had 7 years of it in top-left position on PS4, but hopefully that can be user-controlled. Such as how on PS4 you could change those to be either white or black.

EDIT: I'd forgotten about the mic on the controller. So there's no need to fumble for a headset anymore. Just a quick and painless entering of Party Chat and begin talking.

Last edited:

MastaKiiLA

I love it. I wonder if they'll eventually add the ability to save YT playlists to a specific game, and stream that while you play. For collectathons, I tend to rely on YT to help me clear each stage's items.

dorkimoe

That objective thing will be abandoned within a month from devs or whoever is responsible for it. There was a feature like that supposed to be in the ps4 and it never happened.

But other than that, I like it. Looks great to me

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
It's OK, obviously those features are in the first party games so we need to see what the developer uptake will be on the objectives, time played/remaining etc. for third parties. It would be interesting to know how those videos for hint cards are generated, it would be awesome if they could be from your friends list first, then people might actually be compelled to do it. Otherwise they will great for like collectibles and stuff.

That share screen - we saw that on PS4, worked terribly so I'm not 100% convinced that will work flawlessly at launch.

The rest looked a bit like generic bootstrap graphics so wasn't blown away by it. But the UI isn't that important really. I liked the new screenshot stuff, much snappier. The mic actually might have changed my mind for composing messages as well so there is that.

Dibils2k

That objective thing will be abandoned within a month from devs or whoever is responsible for it. There was a feature like that supposed to be in the ps4 and it never happened.

this is my biggest worry, most of what they showed today depends on the system having the information it needs from 3rd party sources

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space

They were quite clear in the video that it'll only be certain games. To me, that screams "we will make first party studios do it to sell PS+ to lazy people, and other devs might play along".

cormack12

Gold Member
the control center seems a lot better but this google "card" is useless bloating imo (it will probably get little support too)

Trello

01.png

cormack12

Gold Member
Share looks a lot more limited as well - looks to be only twitter and parties? Was hoping to see external as an update but without 'activites' or feed it's kinda made them pointless.

ksdixon

Being able to 'snap' cards which show you a hint for the achievement is just 'blah' to me. I can't see myself using any of these trophy progress data stuff, or needed hints to be shown to me. I guess it's nicer that if you are stuck on a game, you don't have to start pulling up YouTube, finding a Let's Play, finding the right area of the game etc.

I'm more interested if we can pin our own bits there, like our previously captured videos from the Capture Gallery (if it still exists, not far into the video yet), so I can cross reference things fast without leaving the game I am in. That would stop me having to jump between game and Capture Gallery a lot.

My fiance LOVES comparing trophy scores with people. This will be juuuust right for her, she'll be in there like GoldyLocks.

Game 'Activities' menu - he said each level in a game is an individual 'activity' that you can instantly jump to. Pretty sweet:

Capture-UI1.jpg

Each activity is also broken down into suggested objectives within the activity/level and a personalised play time estimate for how long it will take your ass to finish (is this estimate using AI based on your skill level? Amazing if true)

Capture-UI2.jpg

Attention to detail and user experience is pretty great.

Bryank75

Banned
Love it, so clean and fast.... ultra focused on gaming and getting you in and actually achieving things with your time.

The integrated store is very nice.

I like how they split the whole thing up and keep it very spread out so you are not looking at too many different things at once. It seems really easy to navigate. I really want to see trophies....

Fbh

Looks pretty good. Fast and responsive, with some cool features.

The hint feature is pretty neat, hopefully lots of games support it beyond launch.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I like the achievement hunter UI parts. I would like to be able to do that on xbox as well. I need to get this achievement can you put me somewhere close to get it. Putting the hints behind the paywall is pretty savvy. Not consumer friendly but Business savvy.

Overall it looks much better than the PS4 UI which I hate. I think what they need to fix is the constant updates the PS4 gets. I feel like I have to get PS4 updates every time I turn the machine on. Also taking you offline if you are not updated.

I wonder how this looks on a non 4k tv. Does it increase font or anything to make it more readable.

I like it overall, but I was disappointed to still see these lifeless stupid icons in the main menu. I wish they did something else there. Also, bummer they didn't show the integrated store more.

Handy Fake

Aye, like most things I suppose. Once it's launched it'll evolve depending on who takes advantage of what options. It is very nice mind.

i like the look of it a lot, looks like a mix of xmbc and bravia ui.

what i dont like is the card system, seemes it gives you a eta on remaining leveltime and trophy completion, i like to go in blind, plus game hints for trophies. (they are also locked behind ps plus lol). Seems casualized to the max

Top Bottom