• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

PK Gaming

Corrin and Xander, yes, since there's really nothing the children can get to make up for the exclusive weapons, but I'm not sure why you throw Camilla and Jakob there.

Because they're extremely powerful units. Camilla, due to her amazing base stats, crazy offensive growths, and low internal level, God tier weapon types and 1-2 range makes her an absolute staple. She makes clearing maps like Chapter 10, Ninja hell, furry hell and, 21 a breeze (and a bunch of other chapters i'm forgetting).

Jakob is good due to his reclass options. As a Paladin, the earlygame of Conquest, even on Lunatic. For more nonsense, he can reclass to Malig Knight and pick up Trample instantly, making him a force to be reckoned with for pretty much the rest of the game. You can fall back on his amazing personal skill on Corrin too, which gives Corrin -3 damage and +15 avoid.

That... sounds really wrong from my experience. Unless, you're just going "the unit is available earlier, so it's useful for longer", which seems like an odd way of measuring a unit's overall usefulness.

The issue is that a child unit can surpass Camila's stats, and she doesn't really have an unique skill or weapon to make up for that. I guess I can see why you'd rate Jakob higher though, but after some frustrating experiences I pretty much disregarded the avoid stat in Conquest.

That's not weird at all. Fire Emblem characters have always been ranked and valued based their overall contributions. If endgame potential was all that mattered, then characters like Athos would be considered the best. Which is absolutely ridiculous. Even at their max potential, the kids simply aren't that good. And you bring up child stats, but even at their peak they're nothing to write home about.

Why would she have a 5 level lead when you should be investing in superior units for the harder chapters ahead? Conquest doesn't have a reverse level curve - aside from some of those midpoint chapters, so there's no advantage in focusing on her just because she's there earlier.

There are no "superior units" in Conquest other than arguably Corrin...

and you are aware Camilla's internal level is 5 levels lower than a 20/1 unit right, meaning that if she is equal level to the rest of your team, you are outright sandbagging

Ok, I didn't try to go with a Malig Knight Jakob, since I never choose Wyvern Knight for Corrin in the first place, but the amount of investment you're talking about there could give a wide skill selection to quite a few other units. There's nothing special about Jakob in that sense.

That gimmick only works for Jakob (and Felicia, but she doesn't have Cavalier), because they pick up promoted skills extra early, it doesn't actually work on anyone else.

edit: oh and if you don't feel like using wyvern Corrin, passing ninja gives Jakob Locktouch, Shurikenfaire, and Replicate, turning him into a 1-2 range 7 move unit that can be in two places at once

NeonZ

There are no "superior units" in Conquest other than arguably Corrin...

and you are aware Camilla's internal level is 5 levels lower than a 20/1 unit right, meaning that if she is equal level to the rest of your team, you are outright sandbagging

That gimmick only works for Jakob (and Felicia, but she doesn't have Cavalier), because they pick up promoted skills extra early, it doesn't actually work on anyone else.

You'd still need to buy the class change seals though. Any other promoted unit would be able to get that, just later. I just don't see why you think having an advantage in early game Conquest is that important. The only real problematic one is chapter 10. After that there's quite a few chapters to build up a team before getting to chapter 17.

That's not weird at all. Fire Emblem characters have always been ranked and valued based their overall contributions. If endgame potential was all that mattered, then characters like Athos would be considered the best. Which is absolutely ridiculous. Even at their max potential, the kids simply aren't that good. And you bring up child stats, but even at their peak they're nothing to write home about.

We aren't talking here about units only available in the last chapter or even last 10 chapters though.

You'd still need to buy the class change seals though. Any other promoted unit would be able to get that, just later. I just don't see why you think having an advantage in early game Conquest is that important. The only real problematic one is chapter 10. After that there's quite a few chapters to build up a team before getting to chapter 17.

and? money isn't an issue, and nobody else will even use the Partner Seals anyway (except maybe like chapter 26 Xander dismount, but lol)

Also the difference between Jakob picking level 15 promoted skills and a regular unit picking those up is like 10 whole chapters, that's literally half of the post-routesplit chapters.

PK Gaming

We aren't talking here about units only available in the last chapter or even last 10 chapters though.

It doesn't change anything.

Camilla and Jakob do work throughout the entire game. Leo kicks ass the moment you get him. Niles is extremely useful due to his lockpicking and movement. Elise provides useful healing and support. Azura offers dancing utility. The rest of the normal units are useful as pair up fodder or provide decent combat.

What makes the kids so noteworthy? Quantify it for me.

NeonZ

What makes the kids so noteworthy? Quantify it for me.

With proper pairings some of them can reach higher stats and caps than their one of their parents while generally being able to have similar skill sets to take their utility role? The caps are low enough to be reached in the main campaign too if the growth rates are good. Of course, due to the new inheritance system that's really restricted to a few combinations.

Still, due to how the hit rate works in Conquest most of the time you'll want units with absolute defense in order to minimize the RNG, and the options for that in the first generation are rather limited too, like Xander and Benny. Add some units with high attack, which indeed are more variable, and rescue staffs, in order to deal with any ninja that might reduce their stats enough. Camilla is pretty great initially, but later on she just isn't a reliable tank, and she isn't the only unit that can achieve high attack.

PK Gaming

With proper pairings some of them can reach higher stats and caps than their one of their parents while generally being able to have similar skill sets to take their utility role? The caps are low enough to be reached in the main campaign too if the growth rates are good. Of course, due to the new inheritance system that's really restricted to a few combinations.

Still, due to how the hit rate works in Conquest most of the time you'll want units with absolute defense in order to minimize the RNG, and the options for that in the first generation are rather limited too, like Xander and Benny. Add some units with high attack, which indeed are more variable, and rescue staffs, in order to deal with any ninja that might reduce their stats enough.

You're missing the forest for the trees.

• Are these higher stat caps necessary? No.
  • Are the kids guaranteed to excel even at their max potential? No.
  • Are the first gen units from beginning to end viable for Lunatic? Absolutely.
You're underestimating how useful the 1st gen units and overestimating the kids potential. Also... forget Benny (a low tier unit). Most of your top units have good enemy phases, especially due to Guard Stance.

EDIT: Camilla's offense and Weapon Triangle dominance (Dual Club) puts her above most units.

Still, due to how the hit rate works in Conquest most of the time you'll want units with absolute defense in order to minimize the RNG, and the options for that in the first generation are rather limited too, like Xander and Benny. Add some units with high attack, which indeed are more variable, and rescue staffs, in order to deal with any ninja that might reduce their stats enough. Camilla is pretty great initially, but later on she just isn't a reliable tank, and she isn't the only unit that can achieve high attack.

lol Benny

and no, here's a comparison of Percy (the most useful kid) and Camilla (we're doing Effie!Percy for the fast support, and cause Effie's personal growths are actually pretty good):

20/1 Effie!Percy: 29.25 (+5) HP, 18 (+2) str, 0.75 mag, 20 skl, 17.5 spd, 18 lck, 24.5 (+2) def, 7.25 res

-/6 (instantly reclassed) Wyvern Lord Camilla: 33.5 HP, 23.25 (+2) str, 6.25 mag, 21.25 skl, 23.25 spd, 16.5 lck, 22.75 def, 12.25 res

Camilla wins everything but HP by 0.75, luck by 1.5, and defense by an actually notable 3.75 (but she still has plenty), and that 5.25 str/5.75 spd advantage is a lot more important, and whatever minor inheritance Percy picked up isn't closing that.

and their growth spreads from there on out:
Effie!Percy: 42.5 HP/60 str/2.5 mag/55 skl/55 spd/67.5 lck/65 def/22.5 res
Camilla: 50 HP/65 str/25 mag/65 skl/65 spd/30 lck/55 def/45 res

Going forward, Percy is literally just building on his luck/defense lead, the former is basically worthless while the latter is useful, but Camilla is already pretty tanky so there's some seriously diminishing returns on that.

And that's not even including the obvious part where Camilla has more flexibility with magic builds.

PK Gaming

Let's run through each of the kids

Shigure: Doesn't remotely compare to his Mother's singing utility. A decent unit, but nobody really wants to marry Azura so it's difficult to make him viable.

Kana: Mediocre. Low stats (even at max level) and their personal is middling. Kana obviously doesn't compare to Corrin, but even to other 1st gen units, he/she is lacking.

Dwyer: Doesn't match his father's absurd early & midgame busting abilities, nor does his personal ability come even close to matching Jakob's. A decent staff user at best.

Midori: Roughly on par with her father. PVP Goddess, but not particularly special in the main game. She can replace him, provided you recruit her late in the game.

Sophie: Roughly on par with her father. She can replace Silas when he falls off, provided you recruit her late in the game.

Percy: The best child, bar none. Amazing unit, and way better than Arthur.

Ignatious: Lol.

Velouria: Monster combat, provided you recruit her late in the game. Benefits tremendously from Camilla being her mother (since she inherits Trample) and Camilla benefits from Keaton being her pair up slave.

Soleil: Just terrible. Just like her father.

Forrest: Doesn't come close to matching his father, and never will.

Ophelia: Better than her father, but that goes without saying. Ophelia is overrated as a unit, since while she can kill everything, her durability is really bad. To give you an example, on Lunatic Sorceress's can easily 2HKO her (if not OHKO outright).

Siegbert: Doesn't come close to matching his father, and never will.

Nina: Roughly on par with her father. Since you don't really need her because alone Niles suffice, but having her pick up Pass for Lunatic Chapter 27 is incredibly useful.

------

So there you have it. None of these kids come close to being broken, and they barely match their parents and are strictly inferior to the juggernaut gen 1 units.

NeonZ

Going forward, Percy is literally just building on his luck/defense lead, the former is basically worthless while the latter is useful, but Camilla is already pretty tanky so there's some seriously diminishing returns on that.

And that's where I disagree, and I also can't understand people dismissing Benny and Ignatious. You want a defense stat as high as possible in order to clear enemies while eliminating as many random elements as possible. I don't see how going into late game Conquest without some extremely defensive units is preferable. It gives too much power to a RNG that's way too random in the first place.

When you people talk about chapters 17 and 19 being "hell" I think it just shows how you're unfairly dismissing the strength of a defense focused build.

PK Gaming

And that's where I disagree, and I also can't understand people dismissing Benny and Ignatious. You want a defense stat as high as possible in order to clear enemies while eliminating as many random elements as possible. I don't see how going into late game Conquest without some extremely defensive units is preferable. It gives too much power to a RNG that's way too random in the first place.

When you people talk about chapters 17 and 19 being "hell" I think it just shows how you're unfairly dismissing the strength of a defense focused build.

Armor knights are generally poor units, and they're completely outclassed by Xander who is significantly better at tanking/kiting. I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about in regards to RNG.

You don't need extremely defensive units to get through Conquest, even on the highest difficulty. Are you sure you're just not playing recklessly?

The people who talk about 17/19 being hell aren't the same ones saying armors suck lol (although chapter 19 does suck as a map), it's relatively simple to cheese both of them (19 in particular is literally a Wyvern Lord Beast Killer stomp, featuring someone like...wait for it...Camilla).

oh also
WVW69jgnu2832hnbmO

too much RNG imo

Shinypogs

I'd like to reiterate that kids aren't required just that I find they can surpass their parents if you opt to invest in them as opposed to the parents. there's no right or wrong way to play.

I'm not saying Camilla is bad, she's a goddess on all difficulties but she can contribute to a child who ends up with more utility and raw power in the end.

As for the kids themselves that I mentioned.

Ophelia is downright broken early game if she inherits duelist blow from Odin and Demoiselle from Elise or something from a fem Corrin can also help her or the rest of the team. If you pick her up late game her options for inherited skills only increase.

I have regularly found that Ophelia with duelists blow and bow breaker can slaughter Takumi without fear or getting hit back at all in 23 and he has a ridiculously low chance to touch her in endgame. Both on hard and lunatic she hits reliably, crits regularly and can melee or nos tank when needed. If you make her a witch her utility gets even better. She's got garbage for reclass options from her friends or partners though.

Velouria comes with a built in heal ( two if you pick her up late), beast killer, high bulk plus dmg and can reclass for extra skills but doesn't really need to. She's nearly unkillable with the beast rune and can swap to beast stone if you need that extra punch without losing too much of her naturally high defense. Now I favour Camilla as her mother for the savage blow + grisly wound combo this also gives her excellent growths where it matters. She's a solid frontliner for the team and can be sent off on her own safely as well.

I've only ever used Midori one and a half times. I was mostly noting that she's not going to end up hitting like a noodle like Kaze since her strength cap will be higher. Though of course forged weapons are a thing and I will never argue that miraculous save isn't a more useful personal skill than hers is. I've used Kaze before and while I prefer saizo over him again i'm not saying he's bad just theorizing ways in which his daughter might be superior but again she may not.

I would also like to speak up in favour of heart sealing Jakob right away being a totally viable and awesome thing if you want it. I have never played a male avatar so I have no idea if early game hero Felicia is even a realistic thing.

Ooh and in terms of the servants I prefer Jakob for the avoid boost though my only really dodgy character was a ninja who with Kagero's dart and a Jakob pairup had like 100 avoid.

On the other hand Gunter is great if you wanna wield axes. Also he makes a lovely movement bot as a Wyvern lord.

I have a lot of feels about fire emblem.

edit:
The people who talk about 17/19 being hell aren't the same ones saying armors suck lol (although chapter 19 does suck as a map), it's relatively simple to cheese both of them (19 in particular is literally a Wyvern Lord Beast Killer stomp, featuring someone like...wait for it...Camilla).

<<
>>
My Camilla's are always primarily Malig knights because of bolt axe shenanigans. Though I will change her to Wyvern lord to pick up rally defense sometimes. She's usually got Keaton as her partner so when she wants to be physical she gets an added boost to her already massive strength. For me Camilla is always an axe user while I use Effie or Benny as my lancer users, sometimes Xander uses a lance but while he can tank the beastbane hits in 19 there's no need to make him.

17 is mostly about patience and planning for me. Which units do I want in what spot, when do I expect reinforcements and who needs to meet which group of them.

Also chapter 20 can die in a fire. I will take the tedious Gaiden chapter to get the Maltet a million times before that map. Sure it can be cheesed/ mostly skipped but it's still a bad map.

Jintor

wow birthright chapter 23 where camilla just endlessly drops fireballs on you that don't fucking touch enemies is preeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeetty bullshit

wow birthright chapter 23 where camilla just endlessly drops fireballs on you that don't fucking touch enemies is preeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeetty bullshit
lol I just came here to complain about it.

If I didn't have Selkie who dodged and took hits better than Ryoma (and healed herself every second turn) I probably would've lowered the difficulty. She made it kind of a breeze but god damn that had to be one of the worst FE maps ever.

lol I just came here to complain about it.

If I didn't have Selkie who dodged and took hits better than Ryoma (and healed herself every second turn) I probably would've lowered the difficulty. She made it kind of a breeze but god damn that had to be one of the worst FE maps ever.

lol no chapter 23 is better than the 5 maps that came before (and after) it, it's not even hard once you realize you can just send one or two juggernauts who take practically no damage forward while leaving everyone else at the start to draw Camilla's attacks

PK Gaming

lol no chapter 23 is better than the 5 maps that came before (and after) it, it's not even hard once you realize you can just send one or two juggernauts who take practically no damage forward while leaving everyone else at the start to draw Camilla's attacks

To be fair, this isn't something a player immediately realizes on their first run

I had difficulty too :x

I figured I should actually finish this game, considering it's been a year since I got it. Man, Revelations endgame was great. Probably my favorite endgame and final boss after Radiant Dawn.

I already did that with just Selkie and Ryoma lol. Doesn't make it a good designed map which is what I'm getting at.

But I'll concede the maps beforehand weren't particularly good either. (21 was fucked) I just wanna start Conquest already.

To be fair, this isn't something a player immediately realizes on their first run

I had difficulty too :x

I had to reset a few times too my first run, but the moment I exclusively had Corrin/Oboro/Hinoka do everything instead it got so much easier lol.

I already did that with just Selkie and Ryoma lol. Doesn't make it a good designed map which is what I'm getting at.

But I'll concede the maps beforehand weren't particularly good either. (21 was fucked) I just wanna start Conquest already.

21 is bad but it's got nothing on the complete waste of time that is 18 or 20

what a shame Leo's cutscene was wasted on such a bore of a chapter

Shinypogs

You haven't seen poorly designed bullshit until you see chapter 20 of conquest. My hatred of that chapter eclipses everything I've come across series. There are some maps in the gba games and the Tellius series that I dislike and struggle with but nothing gives me anger like that chapter. It's the only chapter on lunatic where I don't seek out every bit of exp and treasure i can get my hands on.

1upsuper

So last year I got pissed about missing out on the Fates LE
ugh why was I so whiny about it
so I only played a bit of Conquest before stopping. But now I'm itching to play the Fates games, but I'm not sure which to start with.

I was a FE fan before Awakening so I am A-OK with no world map and a good challenge, but on the other hand Awakening is my favorite FE by far and I liked how it played as well. I hear Conquest is the better designed game. On the other other hand, I really want to just settle into a nice, comfy shipping simulator right now. I hear the stories are bullocks, but are the casts in any of the three routes particularly fun/compelling/cute/cool/etc.? I know this has probably been asked a million different ways already. Sorry about that.

So last year I got pissed about missing out on the Fates LE
ugh why was I so whiny about it
so I only played a bit of Conquest before stopping. But now I'm itching to play the Fates games, but I'm not sure which to start with.

I was a FE fan before Awakening so I am A-OK with no world map and a good challenge, but on the other hand Awakening is my favorite FE by far and I liked how it played as well. I hear Conquest is the better designed game. On the other other hand, I really want to just settle into a nice, comfy shipping simulator right now. I hear the stories are bullocks, but are the casts in any of the three routes particularly fun/compelling/cute/cool/etc.? I know this has probably been asked a million different ways already. Sorry about that.
if you're not super excited about map design just play Birthright. The story is better (not great but not incredibly stupid) and Conquest made me hate a lot of the characters. I don't remember any Nohr ships that I was super into or excited about (well, maybe Elise/Odin except it's also kind of creepy) but Birthright has some good'uns like Takumi/Oboro or Ryoma/Kagerou (or Ryoma/Scarlet huehuehue). I like the characters in Birthright a lot more generally, I kind of detest the older siblings in Conquest while in Birthright I'm only kind of meh about one (Hinoka) and love the other three. The maps are more Awakening-y too so you can just chill and do whatever.

Zebetite

Banned
i really don't ever see a reason to start with anything other than birthright if you intend to play all of the fates games. it's an easier, more chilled-out chance to acquaint yourself with new mechanics, skills, and the way they've split up the classes between the two armies and filled in the gaps.

and, like, i hope it isn't spoilers to say that when you pick one family over the other, you are, in effect, becoming enemies with that other family, and thus, will inevitably have to do battle with them.

one of the complaints i see thrown about fates is that you have to make your big choice way too early and you barely know the characters so it doesnt feel like there's any real weight to the decision. this is a true and fair criticism-- on a first playthrough. your second playthrough, assuming it isnt revelations, will involve betraying the units you grew so attached to in your first run and fighting them. this is, in my opinion, when the whole mad experiment finally pays off.

in this regard, without maybe getting too close to spoiler territory, the better and more memorable map design makes your encounters with the hoshidan siblings in CQ far more memorable than your encounters with the nohrian siblings in BR, and heightens that pay off. throw in the difficulty considerations and its like the easiest recommendation in the world. i see absolutely no reason to play conquest first, even if its the one you're most interested in but intend to play all of them. just wait, it'll be worth it in the end.

it's when somebody only wants to play one game out of all of fates that the answer starts to get trickier.

1upsuper

if you're not super excited about map design just play Birthright. The story is better (not great but not incredibly stupid) and Conquest made me hate a lot of the characters. I don't remember any Nohr ships that I was super into or excited about (well, maybe Elise/Odin except it's also kind of creepy) but Birthright has some good'uns like Takumi/Oboro or Ryoma/Kagerou (or Ryoma/Scarlet huehuehue). I like the characters in Birthright a lot more generally, I kind of detest the older siblings in Conquest while in Birthright I'm only kind of meh about one (Hinoka) and love the other three. The maps are more Awakening-y too so you can just chill and do whatever.

i really don't ever see a reason to start with anything other than birthright if you intend to play all of the fates games. it's an easier, more chilled-out chance to acquaint yourself with new mechanics, skills, and the way they've split up the classes between the two armies and filled in the gaps.

and, like, i hope it isn't spoilers to say that when you pick one family over the other, you are, in effect, becoming enemies with that other family, and thus, will inevitably have to do battle with them.

one of the complaints i see thrown about fates is that you have to make your big choice way too early and you barely know the characters so it doesnt feel like there's any real weight to the decision. this is a true and fair criticism-- on a first playthrough. your second playthrough, assuming it isnt revelations, will involve betraying the units you grew so attached to in your first run and fighting them. this is, in my opinion, when the whole mad experiment finally pays off.

in this regard, without maybe getting too close to spoiler territory, the better and more memorable map design makes your encounters with the hoshidan siblings in CQ far more memorable than your encounters with the nohrian siblings in BR, and heightens that pay off. throw in the difficulty considerations and its like the easiest recommendation in the world. i see absolutely no reason to play conquest first, even if its the one you're most interested in but intend to play all of them. just wait, it'll be worth it in the end.

it's when somebody only wants to play one game out of all of fates that the answer starts to get trickier.

Thank you both so much, I really appreciate it. It looks like I'm gonna go with Birthright first, since I love this series enough to definitely play through all three routes (at some point. I could burn out before Revelations I guess). I also want to play on hard, so it makes sense in that regard to warm up with Birthright's hard. I also never really thought about the betrayal factor on your second playthrough -- that's actually very cool, and seems like it could justify what seems at first to be a heavy-handed binary. I also care a whole lot more about good characters than a good story most of the time, and it sounds like Fates has decent characters at least. Awakening has one of my favorite casts in video games, and I hope I fall in love with some of Fates' characters too.

Finding Conquest exhausting and not really in an enjoyable way. On Chapter 17 now, open the map and see about 40 dudes. For the love of. Can't say any of the stage gimmicks really stood out outside of that one level at the docks. The level with jars didn't change all that much.

The story just gets worse and worse. Garon might be the most garbage villain I've ever encountered and the continued enabling of him is driving me up a wall.

Moonlight

Banned
Awakening has one of my favorite casts in video games, and I hope I fall in love with some of Fates' characters too.
A couple of characters I encourage building supports for:

- Saizo
- Oboro
- Takumi
- Sakura
- Hana

Birthright overall has stronger supports than Conquest, and those five are some of my favourites among them.

ChrisD

Alright, anyone mind helping me have a good (err, better) time with the rest of the game? Long story short, I quit Conquest halfway through last year because I didn't listen to the burnout comments. I hit burnout.

Just came back to it today. I was on the mission where you recruit Keaton. Finished that off! Feels good to progress in the story again (lol story).

My question: Who should I avoid using? I'm sadly not as good at this series as some of you, and really would like to not pour my experience into characters who are either highly situational or just flat out not good by the time late game comes around.

There are some characters I won't use, even if they were Sacred Stones Seth level of god, like Charlotte and Nyx, and others which will probably be in my team even if they're considered worthless, like Peri and Niles.

I did read the thread the other day and saw that Jakob is evidently amazing with a Heart Seal reclass to Malig Knight through marriage with Corrin. Unfortunately, my Corrin has a different class, I'm pretty sure. Also saw that Camilla should be used despite being pre-promoted, as she has a low internal level. I was actually avoiding using her because I didn't want the EXP stolen.

Don't want the whole game planned out, but yeah. If there are specific units to definitely avoid using, I'd much appreciate if someone could inform me. ^^

PK Gaming

Alright, anyone mind helping me have a good (err, better) time with the rest of the game? Long story short, I quit Conquest halfway through last year because I didn't listen to the burnout comments. I hit burnout.

Just came back to it today. I was on the mission where you recruit Keaton. Finished that off! Feels good to progress in the story again (lol story).

My question: Who should I avoid using? I'm sadly not as good at this series as some of you, and really would like to not pour my experience into characters who are either highly situational or just flat out not good by the time late game comes around.

There are some characters I won't use, even if they were Sacred Stones Seth level of god, like Charlotte and Nyx, and others which will probably be in my team even if they're considered worthless, like Peri and Niles.

I did read the thread the other day and saw that Jakob is evidently amazing with a Heart Seal reclass to Malig Knight through marriage with Corrin. Unfortunately, my Corrin has a different class, I'm pretty sure. Also saw that Camilla should be used despite being pre-promoted, as she has a low internal level. I was actually avoiding using her because I didn't want the EXP stolen.

Don't want the whole game planned out, but yeah. If there are specific units to definitely avoid using, I'd much appreciate if someone could inform me. ^^

Conquest has some of the best unit balancing in the series, so you can get away with using pretty much anyone. I made a (super outdated) unit rankings list for the characters, which should give you an idea on who to use since I wrote detailed descriptions.

Considering you're already about halfway through the game, you should probably post your team's stats so we can actually see what your early units look like now.

ChrisD

Oh, WOW, that's definitely detailed! Thank you! Will read through it before continuing on further.

Nice to know that things are well balanced. Maybe I did something wrong in Birthright, but a number of my characters just felt really weak by the endgame. Rinkah, Silas, and Sakura being the big three. They got loads of EXP but just didn't put out the results. It may have just been a case of bad classes, but I couldn't help but feel they also just weren't that good when all was said and done.

Arthur, simply because he is really unlucky (luck stats are the worst). Its kinda tragic because he has good damage output and is kinda beefy but he will just die from criticals and will never evade anything.

any royals in this game are great so use camilla, leon (although he is the worst royal imho), xander and especially elise (once promoted she is a great damage dealer and will almost get no damage from magical units; dont use her as a tank though- obviously).

nyx and charlotte are both pretty great imho from a support conversation perspective (albeit both in a different way). niles is a really great unit that should be used (especially since there are so little bow users in conquest). peri is... well a good unit but the support conversations are kinda wrong imho.
Conquest has some of the best unit balancing in the series, so you can get away with using pretty much anyone. I made a (super outdated) unit rankings list for the characters, which should give you an idea on who to use since I wrote detailed descriptions.

i dont know if i agree to mozu. she is no donnel but her as a sniper can be really strong. charlotte and nyx are both glass cannons but can have great damage output (in particular charlotte as a berserker)

Arthur, simply because he is really unlucky (luck stats are the worst). Its kinda tragic because he has good damage output and is kinda beefy but he will just die from criticals and will never evade anything.

any royals in this game are great so use camilla, leon (although he is the worst royal imho), xander and especially elise (once promoted she is a great damage dealer and will almost get no damage from magical units; dont use her as a tank though- obviously).

nyx and charlotte are both pretty great imho from a support conversation perspective (albeit both in a different way). niles is a really great unit that should be used (especially since there are so little bow users in conquest). peri is... well a good unit but the support conversations are kinda wrong imho.

i dont know if i agree to mozu. she is no donnel but her as a sniper can be really strong. charlotte and nyx are both glass cannons but can have great damage output (in particular charlotte as a berserker)

Leo: reliably ORKOs most things from his join time while more importantly not dying in the process

Elise: dies the moment a slight (physical) breeze blows by, staff utility is also minimal until Flora/Izana join and do it better anyway

and who cares about player phase only glass cannons and snipers when you can just do something like
WVW69jgnu2832hnbmO

Mozu in particular requires a bunch of upfront investment for....middling results

Leo: reliably ORKOs most things from his join time while more importantly not dying in the process

Elise: dies the moment a slight (physical) breeze blows by, staff utility is also minimal until Flora/Izana join and do it better anyway

and who cares about player phase only glass cannons and snipers when you can just do something like
WVW69jgnu2832hnbmO

Mozu in particular requires a bunch of upfront investment for....middling results
didnt i say camilla is great?

mozu is a critical/ evade beast as a sniper

also effie.. man if there are only physical units she is just reigning supreme

didnt i say camilla is great?

mozu is a critical/ evade beast as a sniper

also effie.. man if there are only physical units she is just reigning supreme

Mozu, at her best, is just another 1 range unit (Mini Bow/lances) that can switch to unpenalized 2 range if needed...which is not really in demand.

And I think it's hilarious how people say Effie is "fast" while Silas has "coinflip speed" or Hinata is "slow" when both of them will always be faster forever...the things that are frail enough for her to OHKO still die easily to others and anything she can't OHKO her offense is just worse.

Dread Fighter/Maid Effie is lit tho, 1-2 range with that strength

I'm pairing Arthur with Mozu. Should I wait until I can pass down Certain Blow for Percy or can I just get him earlier (chapter 15 here) with Quick Draw?

Finding Conquest exhausting and not really in an enjoyable way. On Chapter 17 now, open the map and see about 40 dudes. For the love of. Can't say any of the stage gimmicks really stood out outside of that one level at the docks. The level with jars didn't change all that much.

The story just gets worse and worse. Garon might be the most garbage villain I've ever encountered and the continued enabling of him is driving me up a wall.

I'm at about Chapter 15 or 16 and I feel the same way. Haven't played the game since I turned it off once on transit. The story is total garbage, and while I'm enjoying the maps the game is starting to throw a ridiculous amount of enemies at me.

ChrisD

This Endless Stairway Chapter in Conquest is really overwhelming me. Those friggin' rock tossers for one, and the damage from all the Savage Blows for two. Had a (long) failed attempt at it. Had to bank on a 64% missing me. This is Fire Emblem though, so of course it hit (even though my 88% missed!).

Will try again tomorrow with Tonics. Think I can get Elise into ORKOing Faceless with one + Pair Up with Leo.

This Endless Stairway Chapter in Conquest is really overwhelming me. Those friggin' rock tossers for one, and the damage from all the Savage Blows for two. Had a (long) failed attempt at it. Had to bank on a 64% missing me. This is Fire Emblem though, so of course it hit (even though my 88% missed!).

Will try again tomorrow with Tonics. Think I can get Elise into ORKOing Faceless with one + Pair Up with Leo.

The easy way is to have Corrin or Camilla flyskip it, but even with full deployment Xander tanks everything so use that to your advantage.

Volotaire

I'm trying to decide if Niles would be a better Bow Knight or Adventurer. Any thoughts?

I like using him for his relatively high resistance and speed so Adventurer would seem like the best choice, but the mobility and strength bonus of the Bow Knight seems cool.

I'm trying to decide if Niles would be a better Bow Knight or Adventurer. Any thoughts?

I like using him for his relatively high resistance and speed so Adventurer would seem like the best choice, but the mobility and strength bonus of the Bow Knight seems cool.

He already has enough speed/res as is, make him a Bow Knight (though you might want to swing by and grab Lucky Seven/Pass at some point).

NeonZ

I bought Birthright, is any of the dlc any use?

There's some free DLC, including ones with exclusive class change seals for Lodestar (male), Great Lord (female) and either Ballistician (male) or Witch (female). Get those at least. Aside from that, it depends on what you want. The Boo Camp (experience map) DLC actually isn't very useful if you're playing Birthright, but Ghostly Gold (the money one) can still be convenient if you want money easily. Of course, it can be used to break the game.

Then, there's a bunch of DLC with extra classes. Hidden Truths gives a class change seal for Grand Master (Male, Sword and magic, support skills), although it has many spoilers (and revelations) for all routes. Finish "Royal Royale" to get Dread Fighter (Sword, Axe and Shuriken) or Dark Flier (Lance and magic) class change seals every time (you also get these in limited quantities per file if you buy the other routes as DLC - Conquest and Revelation). Vanguard Dawn gives the Vanguard class (basically a male=only variation of Hero) alongside skill scrolls which can be used to give the class' skills to any character. Ballistician Blitz and Witches' Trial gives class change seals for ballistician and witch - you can get one of these two classes per file for free, but if you want more you need these DLC maps.

The "Heirs of Fates" series of DLC maps are basically a sequel and true ending for both Conquest and Birthright campaigns, each map also gives exclusive stat boosting skills, but you don't actually get to use your own party there.

Hopefully this isn't too stupid of a question I just don't want to mess this up. I finished Birthright and want to play Conquest now. I have all the games on one cart. I saved right before the decision at chapter 6. Do I load up that save and start from there and just make a different choice or do I choose Branch of Fate? When I did that it asked me to create a new character and that seemed strange.

Any help?

Shinypogs

Hopefully this isn't too stupid of a question I just don't want to mess this up. I finished Birthright and want to play Conquest now. I have all the games on one cart. I saved right before the decision at chapter 6. Do I load up that save and start from there and just make a different choice or do I choose Branch of Fate? When I did that it asked me to create a new character and that seemed strange.

Any help?

Branch of of fate starts you at the choice chapter as well but lets you change what your character looks like and their bane and boon.

Top Bottom