• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XVI announced

SkylineRKR

Most FF can be beaten without much strategy. And luckily so. They're were never frustrating games. There is the odd boss or hidden encounter that require some setups but the meat of the game, the countless trash mob, can be defeated by regular attacks with the occasional heal. That doesn't mean turn based is easy in general. Some turn based games are ridiculously tough. Think of Hoshigami, SaGa, X-Com, SMT, Wizardry. Its not like they can't tweak those games if they wanted to, Blue Dragon was one of the easiest RPG games when it launched, right? Until I snatched the Hard Mode from the store, suddenly every hit counted, builds and gear were important, that game became fucking brutal.

I would in fact place FFVII R as one of the more difficult entries, despite the combat being sort of real time. The original game was extremely simple, which was a masterstroke because it got lots of gamers into JRPG. If that difficulty was like FF2, or another tough obscure JRPG like classic SMT or something then the game might've not become as big as it did. But FFVII R, yeah, its kinda hard. You can get wiped very quickly with some bad timing and management, even by a group of trash mob. I never bothered with materia loadouts in the original, I just slotted HP and MP, some heals and summons and beat the game. But in R I was constantly tweaking my loadouts, Magnify and elemental are essential, as are your weapons (tank with buster sword works, but offensive with hard edge works as well, or a magic build with mythril saber.. its quite viable). And defend is absolutely clutch here, don't do it and even flamethrower soldiers will wipe you.

And if we go back further, I also found FFXIII to be one of the tougher FF games. Your reaction concerning shifts need to be on point. That game ramps up on Gran Pulse, you can't blindly win battles there.

Last edited:

Lady Bird

Matsuno's Goebbels
My unpopular opinion is that people loved traditional turn-based JRPGs because they superficially feel like you’re doing strategic stuff while you’re really just mindlessly making simple choices and watching your characters grow in power. Constantly getting little dopamine hits every time
The advantage of turn-based games is that they are 100% focused/ specialized on character-building customisation. Actions RPGs can have all that, but you're usually too busy with additional mechanics, dodges, timing, etc. Turn combat is perfect for the people that enjoy the former mechanics but not the later, and don't want to play a game that is bloated with both.

EDIT:

In other words, turn combat is about maximizing the psychological appeal of character-building customisation, stripping away any or most mechanics that would distract players from that. Because action games usually involve mashing buttons, and because character/party customisation usually leads to strategy, it gives off the illusion that turn combat offers more strategy than action combat. But that's is misguided thinking/ an illusion. In theory, an action RPG can be as deep as a turn RPG (look at FFVII:R as an example) when it comes to commands and customisation. It just so happens that a turn RPG is tailored for players who want just that.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Most FF can be beaten without much strategy. And luckily so. They're were never frustrating games. There is the odd boss or hidden encounter that require some setups but the meat of the game, the countless trash mob, can be defeated by regular attacks with the occasional heal. That doesn't mean turn based is easy in general. Some turn based games are ridiculously tough. Think of Hoshigami, SaGa, X-Com, SMT, Wizardry. Its not like they can't tweak those games if they wanted to, Blue Dragon was one of the easiest RPG games when it launched, right? Until I snatched the Hard Mode from the store, suddenly every hit counted, builds and gear were important, that game became fucking brutal.

I would in fact place FFVII R as one of the more difficult entries, despite the combat being sort of real time. The original game was extremely simple, which was a masterstroke because it got lots of gamers into JRPG. If that difficulty was like FF2, or another tough obscure JRPG like classic SMT or something then the game might've not become as big as it did. But FFVII R, yeah, its kinda hard. You can get wiped very quickly with some bad timing and management, even by a group of trash mob. I never bothered with materia loadouts in the original, I just slotted HP and MP, some heals and summons and beat the game. But in R I was constantly tweaking my loadouts, Magnify and elemental are essential, as are your weapons (tank with buster sword works, but offensive with hard edge works as well, or a magic build with mythril saber.. its quite viable). And defend is absolutely clutch here, don't do it and even flamethrower soldiers will wipe you.

And if we go back further, I also found FFXIII to be one of the tougher FF games. Your reaction concerning shifts need to be on point. That game ramps up on Gran Pulse, you can't blindly win battles there.
Agree with everything you said. I think FF XIII had my favorite battle system in the series. The flow of battle was so much more interesting. Instead of just standing there doing direct-damage moves until you win, it was all about buffing your team, debuffing the enemy, breaking their defenses, then trying to clobber the shit out of them while their defense is down.

It was challenging, fast-paced, and rewarded you for playing well. And there was this constant tension, can I finish this enemy before they recover? Should I fall back to a healing/defensive paradigm? Often you had to make split second decisions that made the difference between success or failure.

Also loved how every role and every ability/buff/debuff was important and had its strategic uses, even in non-boss battles. And your party members would probe for weaknesses to figure out which debuffs and elements could hurt each enemy. They actually got smarter the more info you had about your enemy.

Boneless

I agree about music. It sounded kinda stereotypically big, epic like everything else. FF music is to me something abit different and unique. The FFXV was to me the worst in the series, which was surprising to me since Shimomura definitely know how to craft strong melodies.

I just hope we'll end up with a soundtrack that has a strong identity, that when you listen to the music you can easily identify it as FFXVI, same as you can with other FF games.

Also, it's time we get some more humanoids in offline FF games. We haven't had humanoids in our parties since FFXII.

Gimme some Freya, some Kimahri, some Fran. It's the perfect spice in FF games.

Yeah the ingame music was poor, which was odd as I thought both the prelude and start screen song of FFXV are fantastic.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I made this real quick... really want to know what they'll cook up between a DMC member on-board and class/jobs (if at all).

I keep replaying it over and over again and finding all kinds of cool details. Good job, I like it

Myths

I keep replaying it over and over again and finding all kinds of cool details. Good job, I like it
Thanks. I was really going to piece together along all the little cuts of battles in the trailer. You might see it in the coming days. I did make a minor mistake with the job icon on the right, forgot to set that to Black Mage in my assets.

Last edited:

Myths

Realistically, there probably won't be jobs/class limitations, just abilities to unlock, possibly "schemes" like LR: FFXIII. Then we have to see how Eikons play a role in character progression since they show up quite often during battle.

Top Bottom