• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XVI announced

BRZBlue

Ah, understandable. I can see where you are coming from, but for me I really enjoy a number of the things you mentioned. I feel the animations are smooth and fantastic, with lots of charm and character. The lighting can look absolutely gorgeous most of the time, and the general art direction I feel is perfect for Final Fantasy.

There are absolutely issues, like the super low res, almost-ps2 level of foliage and textures, especially on larger items such as mountain ranges. However, these are getting better and better as new expansions come out. Comparing the zones of Stormblood or Shadowbringers to Heavensward or ARR shows how much better they are doing. Though this is a thing in general with MMOs. You have to remember than FFXIV originally released back in 2010 before re-releasing with essentially a "remake" of the game in 2013. The game also started development back in 2004 and up until Stormblood was designed to be able to run on PS3 systems. It is an old game for sure, but they make the most of what they can given their budget and time constraints.

I do hope you will give the game a second chance, if only for the story and writing. You can basically do Main Quest after Main Quest with zero side quests and no need to grind for levels these days.

I mean, its amazing what happens with some textures mods and reshade.

Dark Oni

From the OG...

cloudstrife-awesomeface.jpg

He always looked like a hot chick (just like every other FF main character). Hence the cross-dressing scene as a joke. They also made him a little buffer in the final version.
even that art is doing him more justice the remake version looks like lighting with different hair

BRZBlue

Not at all, I think this claim comes from some moron claiming that they were the same because they use the same topology and UV layout.

To make it clear how idiotic that is, Cloud and Barret share the same topology and UV layout.

I clarified in a later post that it was probably just them using a template. So you're kinda LTTP

Last edited:

Ixion

wow had no idea just by looks it looked closer to lighting to me

Lightning was created with the ask being to create a female Cloud, so no surprise there. And Noctis was originally the main character of the other main FFXIII game, so he was probably Cloud inspired as well.

Basically, the original idea of Fabula Nova Crystallis was to create a new universe inspired by FF7. Obviously the execution didn’t live up to that though.

And we’re in a good situation now because that same team gets to just remake FF7 itself, which they’re doing well so far, while we also finally get a main installment (FF16) that has nothing to do with Fabula Nova Crystallis (which was announced 15 years ago).

Last edited:

Myths

I see no surprise there, I mean most characters look pretty similar throughout their CG videos. That’s just their style, a style that undoubtedly saves them a ton of time I bet.

YukiOnna

Above all, that's just an odd thing to be upset about and expect "love" for. It's a job you'd want to be efficient in...

Aggelos

according to Jason Schreier FFXVI already in development for at least 4 years

I mean ya, these days for any game to have some sort of substantive content to show to people, it has to be in development for quite some time.
FF XV's dev cycle was quite tumultuous and troubled, whereas Kingdom Hearts III and FF7 Remake were revealed quite early (ostensibly, to get the fans excited).
But then came the long and grueling wait. And you know Tetsuya Nomura directed projects require a hefty amount of time, mind you.

But this doesn't have to be the case with FFXVI, they might be able to complete it by 2022. Anything is possible.

Last edited:

Kumomeme

I mean ya, these days for any game to have some sort of substantive content to show to people, it has to be in development for quite some time.
FF XV's dev cycle was quite tumultuous and troubled, whereas Kingdom Hearts III and FF7 Remake were revealed quite early (ostensibly, to get the fans excited).
But then came the long and grueling wait. And you know Tetsuya Nomura directed projects require a hefty amount of time, mind you.

But this doesn't have to be the case with FFXVI, they might be able to complete it by 2022. Anything is possible.
The game should be in development in some kind of capacity since Heavensward launch 2015. The main lead of the expansion drop off from XIV since then. So it obviously they been working on it atleast since that. Unless someone said they just been fooling around in yoshi-p office since then LOL.

Last edited:

Kumomeme

I mean if you do compare it, shadowbringer trailer really is better than xvi trailer.
whats up with that, is yoshi-p saving these ffxiv type of trailers for later...?
the cinematic trailer? those cgi ofcourse it better

i believe they still keep lot of info secret. i expect we will see more once they ready to go full throttle on advertisement. I expect another over 5 minute cinematic cgi trailer like how XIV expansion always get. Considering how XIV division has their own fanbase and own event, i expect they gonna throw another one like that, or combined it with XIV fanfest for example.

Last edited:

Furball

The game should be in development in some kind of capacity since Heavensward launch 2015. The main lead of the expansion drop off from XIV since then. So it obviously they been working on it atleast since that. Unless someone said they just been fooling around in yoshi-p office since then LOL.

eh , Hiroyuki Ito has been fooling around the office since FF12...

I mean if you do compare it, shadowbringer trailer really is better than xvi trailer.
whats up with that, is yoshi-p saving these ffxiv type of trailers for later...?

As far as FF14 trailer go , i think Shadow bringer look more bland than ARR,HW and SB . The skin look more fake , maybe because of lightning

Last edited:

royox

Come on the ShB trailer has the WoL fighting an Angel changing his Job in real time, Urianger, Ishtola and Thancred showing their new jobs, a "Mimphilia" name drop, the crystal tower and freacking WE FAAAAALL song.

It was done specifically to hype the players to limits we couldnt imagine.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Square just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the japanese public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase FFXVI for either system, nor will they purchase any of Square's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Square has alienated an entire market with this move.

Square, publicly apologize and announce FFXVI for Xbox or you can kiss your business goodbye.

what are you? fucking 12 like

BRZBlue

Even saw some gameplay images source: Omggamer
Final-Fantasy-XVI-2020-images-scaled.jpg

That's from FFXIV. and its from a CG trailer.

the cinematic trailer? those cgi ofcourse it better

i believe they still keep lot of info secret. i expect we will see more once they ready to go full throttle on advertisement. I expect another over 5 minute cinematic cgi trailer like how XIV expansion always get. Considering how XIV division has their own fanbase and own event, i expect they gonna throw another one like that, or combined it with XIV fanfest for example.

People outside of the MMO space don't seem to get how big a deal XIV is. It basically gets its own mini blizzcon focused on just XIV in 3 different territories because the fanbase is so big. It also gets Chinese and Korean versions as well.

Last edited:

Kumomeme

That's from FFXIV. and its from a CG trailer.

People outside of the MMO space don't seem to get how big a deal XIV is. It basically gets its own mini blizzcon focused on just XIV in 3 different territories because the fanbase is so big. It also gets Chinese and Korean versions as well.
Yep. But thanks to this XVI people started get know about yoshi-p, Soken and other XIV staff. Before nobody bat an eye to them even XIV is such amazing game. It funny that i even saw comment from people that dont know these guys actually 'exist' lol. XIV is big enough for them to have their own event and even own concert. Even sound team has their own band lead by Soken itself.

Last edited:

FALCON_KICK

Game looks cross-gen so I'd guess this game would also be available for PS4 and Xbox One if it releases in 2021-22.

Last edited:

Kimahri

Banned
Not getting the joke, eh?

Its a FFXIII reference.

Everybody gets the joke.

That ten year old joke.
That ten year old joke that there is always someone who will bring up in any given situation, thinking they're some comedic genius , when in reality the horse they're beaten isn't just dead, it's buried, somewhere else, you're beating a dead horse in the wrong location, the wrong time, and it's just getting sad at this point.

The horse is dead. It has decomposed. Barely dust left. If we're lucky, future civilizations might find some fossils, but I doubt it.

Next in line is the craig meme, which is already old. That horse is dead too, might take people a decade to realize though.

I really wish people would just stop murdering funny shit by beating it to death.

mcz117chief

I just saw the trailer. I am not feeling it at all, it looks too brown/gray, flat and boring. Nothing exciting, no interesting looking characters, no music, just people shouting and hitting tables for "drama". Man, I just want to see a Final Fantasy like they used to be, colorful and vibrant, exciting and full of life.

BRZBlue

I just saw the trailer. I am not feeling it at all, it looks too brown/gray, flat and boring. Nothing exciting, no interesting looking characters, no music, just people shouting and hitting tables for "drama". Man, I just want to see a Final Fantasy like they used to be, colorful and vibrant, exciting and full of life.

That's where you lost me.

Kumomeme

Last edited:

royox

I'm there too
i like the mature news but to me it looks like a FFXIV x FFVX game and this don't hype me that much

There's literally nothing in the trailer that reminds of XV except of a millisecond when they show a dash move that is in 99 99% of action games.

martino

There's literally nothing in the trailer that reminds of XV except of a millisecond when they show a dash move that is in 99 99% of action games.
I also base the feeling on how this license expand its combat system iteration after iteration when it doesn't completely change it.
what we saw doesn't look like a complete change
but i will be more than fine to be wrong on this.

Last edited:

Mojo1990

That looks to be what they're doing actually. The main character probably starts out looking all young and pretty at the beginning in order to make his growth into a hardass more powerful. The only question is how long you play as the younger version.

The "older" him isn't exactly any less pretty, he is still very handsome, relatively speaking.

Mojo1990

The two summons are very reminiscent of the one's in FFXV. And that dude sitting in the chair at that meeting looked kinda like grown up Noctis.

Azurro

Banned

The music is great, what are you on? Is your only complaint against it really is that it doesn't have an anime color palette? Or cel shading? I mean, there are tons of anime games out there on PS4 with underage looking girls, I'm sure you can play one of those instead. ;)

mcz117chief

The music is great, what are you on? Is your only complaint against it really is that it doesn't have an anime color palette? Or cel shading? I mean, there are tons of anime games out there on PS4 with underage looking girls, I'm sure you can play one of those instead. ;)
Yeah, I can and I will

Top Bottom