• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV launching this Summer, third beta (PC/PS3) in June [Up: New Info]

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Hopefully it runs better than the 15 FPS footage they showed on PS3 last time.

Eurogamer said:
Final Fantasy 14: A Realm Reborn will be released this summer for PC and PlayStation 3, developer Square Enix has confirmed.

The relaunched MMO is set to enter a third round of closed beta testing in June, which will include PS3 players for the first time.

The game's cross-platform functionality will allow players on both formats to explore the game's world together.

Source: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-05-01-final-fantasy-14-a-realm-reborn-release-date-narrowed

Update:

New Info:

Not sure if this was posted yet anywhere but here's some copypasta via reddit I'll just stick it here
Translated by the always amazing Reinhart
・Official service start is during summer (Sale during when it's hot (weather))
・Post 5/20 we will have information on sale date & CE details + pre-order starts
・If you pre-order you can get early access
・All legacy players will get early access
・TV CM is being worked on, CM will be different from Japan/US
・Aside from promo CM they are working on different stuff, planning to release info on that around June
・New trailer around 3rd week of May (preparing several / showing Odin as well)
・There is 6-7 in-game item in the CE edition (Such as FF1's main characters "Light Warriors" head gear)
・For "Light Warrior" gear they are working on not only the head, but full gear
・Beta test phase 3 is for early June
・580,000 people is already (in/applied?) Beta test
・UI will change in phase 3 (Will be faster/number of available options is probably #1 in the world (lots of config options))
・Opening is implemented from phase 3 (voice included)
・2nd Benchmark is going to release in between phase 3 and 4
・PS3 versions optimization progressed and the quality got higher
・Per YoshiP regarding PS4 version - we'll (probably) have it
・PC version: High resolution texture will be looked into after DX11 is addressed
・After launch, they are planning to ask different music composers to create music.
・2-3 new BGM by Mizuta Noashi is planned for launch
・Already asked Nobuo Uematsu for new music ?
・Planning to sell OST, will have it in CE version as well
・BLM's magic damage increases by casting in a row
・The live demo video of Arcanist will be released around E3
・Can go to Eureka (FF3's dungeon)
・Will have 2 retainers (Within same world it's possible to share between characters)
・Planning to implement a super retainer (temp name) which has more features
・Difficulty to obtain Dark Light gear will be eased, will be something lower than primal gear
・Need Relic to go Crystal Tower
・Crystal Tower gear is higher than Relic, Bahamut gear is higher than this
・With later added content it's possible to upgrade relic
・FATE level sync is switched on manually through task list
・There is no difference in convenience between starting nations
・Swim suit will be redistributed, confirmed.
・Shiva coming after Ramuh and Leviathan
・Barber will be implemented through patch right after launch
・Weather forecast NPC or Fat Chocobo coming after launch
・Planning for in-game library (temp-name) (can read lore information and such)
・Birthday even will be looked into later
・Subligar (FF11's leg gear) will be looked into for release
・In scenario staff there may be staff SE fan's know
・SE's new CEO Matsuda is planned to appear around next letter LIVE
・YoshiP's birthday May 1st, turning 40.
・YoshiP: His favorite character from FF series is Cloud and Sephiroth
・YoshiP: Has played over 4 digit numbers, done all the G rank solo, talked to Tsujimoto, might have something in future for colaboration.

Jeels

I got accepted to the PC beta for some reason even though I don't game on a PC.

Hopefully this means I'll get accepted into PS3 as well.

Hopefully it runs better than the 15 FPS footage they showed on PS3 last time.

They said optimization is way better now on the PS3 version and they can show, right now, 30-40 players on screen without performance loss.

We'll see in a month. Even so, I don't think the game will not have hard drops once massive battles starts.

Aeana

I hope the PC version can get better framerates, during the first beta phase I was getting a range of 20-60 FPS on a i7@4.2ghz and a GTX 680. I hope for a little more optimization all around.

Pretty weird. I've got an i5 3570K running at 4.2GHz and a GTX 560 Ti and I rarely dropped below 40 FPS in phase 2, even in big crowds. 40-60 is what I expect with any MMO, even WoW, so it isn't that disappointing to me.

IHaveIce

Banned
I really hope Square didn't mean this game at the Ps4 reveal and wants to surprise us with a Port :(

This game cost them so much money I doubt it will be that successful

LowParry

I do believe the game will be a better success this time around. It's a shame it had to start so bad. Well here's hoping for the best. The game is in good hands right now.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I hope the PC version can get better framerates, during the first beta phase I was getting a range of 20-60 FPS on a i7@4.2ghz and a GTX 680. I hope for a little more optimization all around.

Things were much better in the second beta phase.

This is my excited face:

tumblr_lrs97jJHzh1r3v6f2o1_400.gif

Aeana

Earlier than expected considering Phase 3 doesn't start until June. They better not rush it again.

Phase 3 is the last real test phase. Since phase 4 is an open beta, it's more likely to be a stress test than any sort of actual intensive feedback-driven testing.

Have they said whether people who bought it pre-2.0 will have a free month after release? Or will I need to pay $15 (I didn't pay earlier so I can't get the $10 a month rate)

Midou

I get the feeling "summer" means September.

I would imagine it depends on the length of the Open beta as well as if anything really bad comes up. I could see an early to mid August release, but September might be more likely if they need to work on any last minute stuff.

I've personally quite enjoyed what I played of the first two phases, I'm waiting for the third one so I can try my class of choice (Marauder). It's quite a bit more typical MMO when compared to something like FFXI, but I'd say it still feels quite Final Fantasy.

I've decided I'll wait for a possible PS4 release.
Game looks gorgeous, but I sure as hell don't want to double-dip for it.

Are they really charging newcomers $15 a month for this game? Not sure I'd jump in to that, either. :/

Most of the beta testers are under NDA so they can't actually give out their full impressions of the game. It's a pity.

Speaking of a totally unrelated issue. I recently played this soon to be relaunch of a popular sequel of a franchise, and it's probably one of the best online experience I've had in years.

I've decided I'll wait for a possible PS4 release.
Game looks gorgeous, but I sure as hell don't want to double-dip for it.

Are they really charging newcomers $15 a month for this game? Not sure I'd jump in to that, either. :/

At least the game is launching at $30 and $40 for PC and PS3, respectively, with a month trial.

LuuKyK

Square completely ignored me on the PC beta, so I hope I get an invite for the PS3 one aince I used the XIII code. Cant wait to try it.

Bladenic

Is there a way to sign up for the beta for PS3? Or is it gonna be all those vouchers from a FFXIII purchase years ago? Because I dunno if I ever registered and lord knows where it is now lmao

Isaccard

September is the latest they can launch if they want to keep their word of 'NOT releasing in October' and 'while the weather is still hot.

In anycase I can't wait to see more.

I don't think this game will ever succeed. It almost seems like they are going above and beyond to save face

I hope it is better than FFXI but I don't have time to play MMOs anymore so I won't be finding out firsthand.

They've essentially made this game twice now, right?

Ravidrath

I don't think this game will ever succeed. It almost seems like they are going above and beyond to save face

I hope it is better than FFXI but I don't have time to play MMOs anymore so I won't be finding out firsthand.

I think it there is a face-saving component, but I think it can succeed. FFXI was Square's most successful anything ever, so if they can replicate that at all it will be worthwhile for them.

A majority of the XIV launch community seems to want to come back and try it again, and the overall design is a lot more accessible than XI's, so I think it can attract new players.

And I wouldn't underestimate the console releases, either. MMOs are still a largely untapped market on consoles so there isn't a lot of competition to go against. And, most importantly, no F2P MMOs on them yet, either.

Midou

They've essentially made this game twice now, right?

It certainly seems like they are trying to redeem themselves more than anything else, game does seem quite good though. One nice thing about how FFXIV is setup is being able to even for a bit and accomplish something and even do it solo.

Speaking in general, I can understand why people would not be able to justify spending a monthly fee, but I always found if the hours I played were significant enough, it's worth it. Even 1-2 hours a day for a month is 30-60 hours, if I could play a game that much each month, $15 seems reasonable to me. That's avoiding eating out a couple times a month. I know it's not reasonable for everyone, and some people do live pay cheque to pay cheque and whatnot, but gaming has always been kind of a pricey hobby.

Rockandrollclown

lookwhatyou'vedone
I think it there is a face-saving component, but I think it can succeed. FFXI was Square's most successful anything ever, so if they can replicate that at all it will be worthwhile for them.

A majority of the XIV launch community seems to want to come back and try it again, and the overall design is a lot more accessible than XI's, so I think it can attract new players.

And I wouldn't underestimate the console releases, either. MMOs are still a largely untapped market on consoles so there isn't a lot of competition to go against.

I don't think FFXI numbers are going to make this game sustainable. Even if it hadn't already failed once and required a second development, games are more expensive now. Sure back in the day 100-200k subscribers was enough. Now games go F2P with 1 million plus. I'll be shocked if this game holds its own with a monthly sub.

HooYaH

Just wondering, have they ever said that XIV Reborn is a new $40-$60 game? It would kind of suck if previous owners who bought XIV had to rebuy the game.

Aeana

Just wondering, have they ever said that XIV Reborn is a new $40-$60 game? It would kind of suck if previous owners who bought XIV had to rebuy the game.

They've said from the beginning that if you bought the game before, you get the new one for free.

Ravidrath

I don't think FFXI numbers are going to make this game sustainable. Even if it hadn't already failed once and required a second development, games are more expensive now. Sure back in the day 100-200k subscribers was enough. Now games go F2P with 1 million plus. I'll be shocked if this game holds its own with a monthly sub.

Yeah, we'll see, but I don't think they would have greenlit this if they didn't think it was possible to generate a profit on it. FFXI sustained around 500k subscribers for a while once it was launched in the U.S. and Europe, and the players also held on longer than anyone could have expected.

I don't know what the numbers are like now, but the content they've put out in the last three years or so has been really cheap, so it was mostly designers and server costs. And servers and bandwidth are cheaper now than they were when the game launched.

...Then again, their projections could be entirely based on those same forecasting formulae that doomed Tomb Raider and Sleeping Dogs.

Also, they are looking to expand into China and other international markets that XI didn't.

Daante

If the PVE end game is well designed , aka WOW TBC style i could see myself playing this for a long time.

notworksafe

Can't wait! Been playing a bunch of FFXI lately so it'll be nice to jump right into 14.

I stopped playing in the alpha/beta to stop myself from getting bored from overplaying the content, but I'd like to hop back in for Phase 3 to see my old character back in action.

I'm torn on whether I want to make an all new character or keep playing my old one. I wish Square didn't charge per character so I can go back and experience all the low level content at the appropriate level.

Top Bottom